New control4 system - question regarding speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New control4 system - question regarding speakers

Hi everyone,

I have read a lot on here before deciding what system we are going to adopt and hopefully build up. We have decided to start with a control4 system, start small, and eventually integrate everything into it, as it looks like it can handle anything we can throw at it. We are going to start with a HC-250 and a 4 zone amp, putting speakers in the kitchen to start (it is currently under renovation) with sonos. We are going to do blinds and light switches in the kitchen as well from lutron, I believe.

Anyway, my question is where would be optimal speaker placement (for background music) in our setup for the kitchen? At first I was thinking an in wall speaker pair in the front face of the soffit, facing the table, but now I am having second thoughts. I'm not sure the music will go through the kitchen this way. How many speakers should I use, and should they be stereo pair, or all in one? I have attached some pictures (sorry for the mess, it is under construction), so hopefully any input can be helpful. Thanks!

By the way, the cabinets on the one side that's torn apart will be similar to the other side, and the island will be about double in width.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	486281   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	486297   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	486305  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-19-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I'd put a stereo pair either side of thw island and another pair in the ceiling near the table or in the soffit as alternate.
All 4 can run directly to one zone of the amp.

Consider control4 lighting. Have you factored in the need to program the lutein system and the program into control4. That's a faily costly add.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
I'd put a stereo pair either side of thw island and another pair in the ceiling near the table or in the soffit as alternate.
All 4 can run directly to one zone of the amp.

Consider Control4 lighting. Have you factored in the need to program the Lutron system and the program into Control4. That's a faily costly add.
I agree with the speaker placement recommendation. I would also consider doing the Control4 lighting, it works well and it's cost effective. You can add dimmers and switches as your budget allows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input! This is what I will do - a set of in ceiling speakers on either side of the island and a set of in wall speakers in the face of the soffit and make it one zone.

When you guys say on either side of the island do you mean each side as in one by each side of cabinets or 1 near table and one near the wall? I would think one near each side of cabinets, maybe towards the middle? And I don't want it directly over the island, correct? Thanks!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 106
keep in mind its a kitchen, not really critical listening area, more of background music. SHarman's recommendations are fine and spot on. you could probably also get away with only 2 speakers if you really wanted instead of 4. either way for a kitchen it will be fine.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
keep in mind its a kitchen, not really critical listening area, more of background music. SHarman's recommendations are fine and spot on. you could probably also get away with only 2 speakers if you really wanted instead of 4. either way for a kitchen it will be fine.
I think 2 will be ok as well. With this in mind, where would you place them?

As for the lighting, I like control4, but we may go with Lutron shades, so we will need radiora anyway. Which is better?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1421807669724.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	491745  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-21-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I would put 2 over the table, and one on each side of the island. And, I'd get a different light over the island, but that's personal preference.

In 8 years, you'll replace the C4 controller. If you have C4 lighting control, you'll be forced to use C4 again - not necessarily a bad thing, but you'll lack a choice.

I've been pleased with Lutron RA2, and my Lutron kitchen shade. Worth the splurge. Kitchen trim guy made a wood enclosure for it, really nice, will be painted white to match our cabinets.

Use narrow-bezel (or no-bezel/trimless) speakers; most manufacturers offer this option, these days.

I splurged on kitchen in-ceiling speakers, because that's where I listen to music the most, in my house (distributed audio system). I went with 8" woofers, replaced 6", pleased with the sound.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
BTW, you may need an extra cable run by the electrician, if you want to control a fluorescent light, like in the picture, with Lutron or C4.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. That light box is already gone...it is being replaced by pendants - I guess I should've mentioned that. Looks like I have a much better idea of what I'm going to do now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page