Hunter Douglas PowerView shades & blinds - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #91 of 187 Old 06-30-2016, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP14 View Post
Out of curiosity, what problems have you seen with kids and automated shades? I was making an assumption that since we've been okay with the kids and non-automated shades so far, there wouldn't be a problem. Since all of the hardware is up above the window, what damage can they do?
Anytime you have buttons that can be pressed and motors that will move, you really want to think about what an attractive nuisance that can be with kids. If not just your kids, friends and guests. While the automation hardware may be up above, they're typically repaired as a whole unit. So fabric rips can turn into something expensive.

Me, I try to err on the side of caution and not put things in front of little kids that are going to invite more expense and work for me. YMMV, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 187 Old 07-04-2016, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put down a deposit (50%) with a local HD retailer last Friday for 5 HD PowerView Roller Shades for my master bedroom (doing a combination of shutters and blinds elsewhere). This weekend I came across this post and I'm now a bit concerned with my decision. Should I look into another option due to the issues that have been brought of on this post related to reliability issues? Or have the issues been addressed?

In addition, I already have z-wave lights, fan controls, thermostats etc that are controlled with a 2gig system. Can the HD PowerView products be controlled via a Z-wave controller?
post #93 of 187 Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAdiy View Post
In addition, I already have z-wave lights, fan controls, thermostats etc that are controlled with a 2gig system. Can the HD PowerView products be controlled via a Z-wave controller?
I don't think so on the Z-Wave, unless someone on here has come up with a way.

The HD Hub allows for control of scenes with serial commands, and of course extensive shade control with the regular HD free app using your phone or tablet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 187 Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello people,

I have a question about the iOS app and hub. I got my iPhone, my iPad and my partner iPad connected to the hub, and everything works as it should.
But ... if I want to link the iPhone from my partner to the hub, I get the message "Hub not found". I really tried everything to restore the iPhone. Information about the iPhone:

- IPhone 6
- Firmware 9.3.2
- PowerView 1.4 app
- Same wifi router

Who knows this problem and who has a solution.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub not found.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1536433  
post #95 of 187 Old 07-09-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_007 View Post
Hello people,

I have a question about the iOS app and hub. I got my iPhone, my iPad and my partner iPad connected to the hub, and everything works as it should.
But ... if I want to link the iPhone from my partner to the hub, I get the message "Hub not found". I really tried everything (to restore the iPhone) also a recovery of the iPhone does not help. Information about the iPhone:

- IPhone 6
- Firmware 9.3.2
- PowerView 1.4 app
- Same wifi router

Who knows this problem and who has a solution.

Roger
text modified
post #96 of 187 Old 07-27-2016, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmolift View Post
Update: I have verified with HD, they do not use a reliable protocol between the shade and the Remote. The shade is programmed to respond to a Remote ID & Group ID, the remote broadcasts the command, the shade(s) receives it and executes the command. There is no acknowledgement. So the only way to make this reliable, is to have the shade reliably receive the command the first time every time
I came here looking for some info before ordering HD and I'm glad I did. For the price they charge, it is unbelievable HD went with a fire and forget protocol over an unreliable transport. There is no way I will buy HD PowerView with an implementation like this. I can see why they did this; its much easier/cheaper for the shades to be receive only but look what that choice got them with how the end product works.

yikes!

Vizio P65-C1
post #97 of 187 Old 08-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbroome View Post
I came here looking for some info before ordering HD and I'm glad I did. For the price they charge, it is unbelievable HD went with a fire and forget protocol over an unreliable transport. There is no way I will buy HD PowerView with an implementation like this. I can see why they did this; its much easier/cheaper for the shades to be receive only but look what that choice got them with how the end product works.

yikes!
Funny thing is, I believe they do have commands with responses back to the hub. But, they don't have a reliable protocol between the shade and the remote or hub. There are many enhancements that this system would benefit from. For one, there is no way to remotely re-flash the shades, not to mention a reliable communication. To be honest, the missing RF signal issue, I believe is due to the shade sleeping to save power. If your signal comes during a non listening period, it misses. I believe they are balancing cost and power consumption for battery life.

Last edited by desmolift; 08-06-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #98 of 187 Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
New firmware REV H

Just FYI, there is a new firmware release for the roller shades and other models, REV H. Hunter Douglas was at my house today re-flashing 16 shades. The technician claimed the new revision fixes the "shade lockup problem", something I have seen occasionally. Identifying this problem is relatively easy. First the shade goes completely unresponsive from the pebble remote (most likely unresponsive from the hub as well, but I don't have one to verify) Next, attempt to manually lower the shade with the button on the motor, the shade will be unresponsive to this as well. Now, pull the DC power, insert the power, shade is back in working order. It will take some time to verify this is fixed, as it doesn't occur very frequently in my house, once a month. Reading through the posts again, I believe many of you may be seeing this problem. This release doesn't appear to address the "RF signal misses" or remotely re-flashing. The technician didn't know if it fixes the lower limit going out of adjustment. I have requested release notes on REV H from Hunter Douglas, but haven't received a response yet.
post #99 of 187 Old 08-05-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbroome View Post

yikes!
I've been cotrolling my battery powered hunter shades for years now with X10 and a simple app, way before hunter even offered it. It's simple, costs barely anything and WORKS!

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #100 of 187 Old 09-11-2016, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
When I setup the Lutron app for my radio ra2 gear it does require setting up username and password on the main repeater. So while it is using the telnet protocol, in the clear over the wire, it does at least control access. That and the app does block homeowner edits if you choose that setting.

I don't have any shades associated with it but it would seem reasonable to assume that since they are joined to the same repeater and controlled by the same app there be the same username and password security associated with it.

As for Hunter Douglas repeaters, I'd suggest you clear it ahead of time with your installer or reseller that you may need to return some of the repeaters. That's how my installer handled it. They brought along about a half dozen and I think I'm only using four.
Are u able to control your HD with Lutron app? and how?
post #101 of 187 Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyJustice View Post
Still having problems. Spoke to the seller and we are going to add repeaters in every room. My house is a two story, 2500 sq ft home. It is almost square. The maximum distance from the hub (which is almost in the center of the house) is probably 25-35 ft. I am now adding repeaters to shades that are maybe 15 ft away from the hub. I have a 75 MB down, 75 MB up Fiber Optic connection with a Nighthawk router so it isn't the network. It is absurd that HD cannot make a solution that has a range that extends beyond a few feet. It is not like wireless technology is brand new either. Even more hilarious, I have to pay for each of the repeaters so that the $10-11K system I bought can work. Great job HD. Your crack team of 1970s engineers is doing a wonderful job. Maybe your next automated solution can release a flock of carrier pigeons that can pull on the shade cord while crapping all over my house. $10K. This system should work...
Please note repeaters are not always the solution either, how about a Trendnet Extender.......
You should have gone to retailer who is a pro, or used a certified Master Installer from Hunter Douglas and you would not run into this silly problem. There is a reason why the remote does not provide more range, it has simply to do with FCC rules, and please stop whinning it just sounds silly.
post #102 of 187 Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:

None of my Pebble remotes has had any trouble communicating with the shades assigned to them. From what I can tell the remotes are assigned to the shades separately from the hub/network. The hub software shows nothing regarding the remotes, leading me to believe they're not integrated with each other at all. Which is kind of unfortunate as it would be handy to be able to use the pebble buttons to perhaps trigger other activities (like coordinated lighting or home automation). No options for that at all.

As I've said, I needed top-down shades and HD is the only supplier for that style. If all you need are regular bottom-up shades, consider going with Lutron instead.
If you have a Hub/Network your remotes should be assigned to the same network id. If not your installer goofed. If you have a Hub, the remote control has to have the same network id as the hub, if not you will have issues down the road
Note you can coordinate lighting or home automation with a network adapter connected to the hub.
post #103 of 187 Old 11-27-2016, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technos View Post
Please note repeaters are not always the solution either, how about a Trendnet Extender.......
You should have gone to retailer who is a pro, or used a certified Master Installer from Hunter Douglas and you would not run into this silly problem. There is a reason why the remote does not provide more range, it has simply to do with FCC rules, and please stop whinning it just sounds silly.
You know what sounds silly? Signing into an enthusiast-oriented forum like this and copping an insulting tone with long term members here. That and ignoring your browser's red underline spell check.

As for FCC rules, if you're privy to the FCC specifics on these particular remotes and shades then, please, post the detailed explanation. Because you're likely not in on that information and posturing about it really does nothing to help the community of members here.

So take it back a notch and tune into the members-helping-members vibe. Or not, you're free to go elsewhere.
post #104 of 187 Old 11-28-2016, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
new blinds.com motorized blinds == HD platinum whitelabel?

I just ordered some blinds.com motorized blinds, after having ordered some maybe a year ago as well. The previous ones had these Chinese "Dooya" motors in them with really cheesy RF remotes, but I was able to figure out how to control them with a www_rfxcom_com/RFXtrx433E-USB-43392MHz-Transceiver/en RFXtrx433 and so figured eventually I'd order more.

I ended up talking to ones of the sales consultants and was surprised that they don't carry those any longer, but have a new "remotelift 2.0" remote & motor combo, supposedly manufactured in the USA (!). Well, I'd like to control these too, but got the www1_americanblinds_com/infopages/pdfs/sig-cell-remote-guide.pdf manual and realized it's 2.4ghz not 433mhz like the Dooyas. No go. But I figured these must be similar to some other remotes, and Google reverse image-search (!) led me to hunter-douglas, which has essentially identical remotes (and instructions) for the "Platinum technology" line. And there is this whole powerhub thing which looks super promising, if indeed this is just whitelabel HD stuff.

Anyhow, I don't have any new info to add to the thread except that I might have found a slightly lower-cost provider of blinds with the same automation system. I won't get my blinds until mid-December, and have ordered a HD wall-switch, and will try to get a hub as well. If it all works, I'll report back, as I see there's docs_openhab_org/addons/bindings/hdpowerview/readme.html bindings for OpenHAB 2.0, which would be nearly perfect for me (I run 1.8 right now but am considering upgrading).

More info when I have it (Sorry for link weirdness, I haven't posted much before and wasn't allowed to include them normally)
post #105 of 187 Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PowerRise (used by Platinum, iirc) was a previous generation of their wireless system. PowerView is different, using a round remote not the stick-kind. I don't believe there's much overlap or compatibility.

As for the 'white label' euphemism, sometimes items are marketed differently in other countries and use essentially the same stuff. Sometimes it's just an outright rip-off of another company's products. And in other situations it's actually a worse solution masquerading in what looks like the same kind of enclosures/housings. It can be quite a mess. Me, I want stuff that works, not being lured into using stolen tech with inferior performance. Which I say somewhat sarcastically given the lumpy nature of HD's PowerView setup and operation. Granted, it's been less-worse than PowerRise. Which makes me even more skeptical of clones.
post #106 of 187 Old 11-30-2016, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Just a quick update from me:
My system is working better after adding more repeaters (all free from HD but at the price I paid per shade--they should be free!). There are still shades that don't shut or open (they basically miss the signal since these are not two-way) from time to time, which I find really, really annoying for how expensive these shades are. Any miss is basically susceptible to extra solar heat coming into house or security issue as a shade could be left open when it should be shut, and thus potential for valuables being seen through window. Some shades won't open or close all the way based on the schedule, instead they stop in the middle which is really odd because they received the signal to activate but then they don't follow through with the preset open/close position.

I had one shade that got "lost," it was on the system and then disappeared and I was unable to discover it again through the app. They are replacing it this Friday.

It's been about 11 months since I've had my system and it's still not working as advertised. :-(

Last edited by wildta; 12-04-2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #107 of 187 Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteraDesignInc View Post
If the shades, etc are lowering and raising at different rates it could also be the Motor(s).
Are some of the shade larger than others? Ask your rep if the Motor is strong enough.
I had one roll shade that operated at 75% of the raise and lower travel speed of the adjacent roll shades. All brand new batteries. I cross tested the adjacent shades by alternating battery packs and determined the problem to be a dead cell in one of the 12 batteries in that one wand.
post #108 of 187 Old 12-11-2016, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I mentioned battery testing a few pages back:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-ho...l#post44387033

This is one Lutron mentioned in a training. It's not cheap but it does an excellent job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQG1XE/

The idea is you cannot test a battery reliably by just voltage. A tester that puts a load on it will be better able to determine if the battery is OK. You want to make sure all cells in a pack at at approximately the same level. Otherwise low cells will 'drag down' others and your motors won't work effectively.
post #109 of 187 Old 12-12-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Red face

An update of my last post -- I received my blinds on Friday and got to play with a couple of them this weekend.

First one up -- fail. As soon as I applied power and tried the manual button, it dropped straight to the floor! Had jerky motion, etc. Took it down, examined it, seemed like something wasn't adjusted properly, but decided to try another one from the same shipping box and see if it was similar. Second one -- much larger one -- worked perfectly. The remote even said in small print on the back "platinum" so I was pretty certain it'd be compatible with the HD stuff. Anyhow, got it programmed to RF, and then the real test -- trying it with the HD wall switch I bought off ebay. Worked perfectly first try (oh man, way easier to program than the Somfy-based shades I have, too!). Anyhow, final step -- will it work with the PowerView Hub I also, very optimistically, bought on ebay? And it absolutely does, although in the app, it thinks it's a different kind of shade (a bottom-up, not top-down). So maybe the motor is sending the wrong code for what it is, but doesn't matter, as it works fine.

Then I went back to the original one that wasn't working, and disassembled the mechanism a bit, and noticed some metal flashing inside the motor coupling that seemed to be in the way. I scraped that out, got it all back together, and, although I'm not 100% confident it's a longterm perfect fix, it IS completely working now.

So, did blinds.com contract to get the old tech from HD (or whomever made it for them)? Seems so. Are they a reputable company? Also seems so. Do they advertise it as being HD compatible? Not at all, and maybe future ones won't be. But for now, I'm pretty happy... will report again after I get all 6 that I ordered installed, I guess, and can tell if I have signal strength problems etc.
post #110 of 187 Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 173
VIDEOS! VIDEOS VIDEOS of any of these WORKING.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #111 of 187 Old 01-04-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmargolin View Post
An update of my last post -- I received my blinds on Friday and got to play with a couple of them this weekend.

So, did blinds.com contract to get the old tech from HD (or whomever made it for them)? Seems so. Are they a reputable company? Also seems so. Do they advertise it as being HD compatible? Not at all, and maybe future ones won't be. But for now, I'm pretty happy... will report again after I get all 6 that I ordered installed, I guess, and can tell if I have signal strength problems etc.
Interesting. Please do keep us updated. Do you have a product link of the item you purchased?
post #112 of 187 Old 01-14-2017, 07:45 AM

I just discovered this thread...

We did our entire house in these blinds in May of 2016... We had one blind that failed (mechanical issue) in the first 2 days.

We experienced lots of reliability problems from May until August.

I reset all blinds, hub, etc and rebuilt the network quite a few times with no real improvement.

I noticed there were many firmware updates to the hub and a couple for the app.

After August, things seem to improve. So much so that I have forgot about all the issues. They are working reliably and now fade into the background of my mind... (Like a toaster. They now just work).

We have multiple remotes (both versions) but we find the iOS apps to be the go-to control.

We have 2 repeaters in a very large house, but I don't really see any issues when they are plugged in or not.

The best thing was my wife and I got super busy with work from June to September and frankly we were too busy to worry about the frickin blinds being flaky... lol.

Now I am wondering if the updated firmware in the blinds would make a difference. Can these be flashed OTA, what type of interface/cable and software does the HD tech use to flash these?

Of course my wife wanted an HD exclusive design of the blinds so this was our only choice.
post #113 of 187 Old 02-03-2017, 12:45 PM

how is compatibility with lutron radio ra2
post #114 of 187 Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
how is compatibility with lutron radio ra2
I use a combo of RA2 and Control4 keypads to control mine. I have the powerview shades in every room and much like most folks here, I'm very frustrated with them. They are super buggy and only consistent in being inconsistent. One day the shade works, the next it doesn't. One day it falls asleep, the next three days it works fine. I've had an issue with every single shade. I'm running all of my AV equipment in a rack (processors, receivers, hub, etc) but have three repeaters in every single room. Commands from Control4 always work (I always see the repeaters light up green) but like I said, one shade may not lower as the other ones in the room do. Control4 compatibility is through scenes, not by individual shade, so I know it is not an issue with Control4.

I've replaced the "eyes" as my dealer calls them, batteries, and now they're looking in to something else. But I can say with 100% certainty that I should have gone with Lutron. These are overpriced crap shades.
post #115 of 187 Old 02-18-2017, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toog4me View Post
but have three repeaters in every single room.
I would expect 3 repeaters in each room to be troublesome. If I remember correct, Hunter recommends only 1 repeater per room.

Too many signals hitting the shade could be some of the basis of the inconsistency you are experiencing.
post #116 of 187 Old 02-18-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
I would expect 3 repeaters in each room to be troublesome. If I remember correct, Hunter recommends only 1 repeater per room.

Too many signals hitting the shade could be some of the basis of the inconsistency you are experiencing.
And barring the existence of ANY means to show the signal levels it's all voodoo and folklore. Seriously, where's the diag tools to better configure this junk?

Were it not for needing top-down functionality I would NEVER have gone with Hunter Douglas.

When it works it's merely just 'ok'. The motors are a bit louder than I'd like but not a big deal. Battery life seems reasonable, about 18 months when on a daily schedule. But random drop-outs where a shade just decides it "doesn't want to cooperate" are maddeningly annoying. And having NO DEBUGGING TOOLS makes it pretty much impossible to narrow down why.
post #117 of 187 Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
And barring the existence of ANY means to show the signal levels it's all voodoo and folklore. Seriously, where's the diag tools to better configure this junk?

Were it not for needing top-down functionality I would NEVER have gone with Hunter Douglas.

When it works it's merely just 'ok'. The motors are a bit louder than I'd like but not a big deal. Battery life seems reasonable, about 18 months when on a daily schedule. But random drop-outs where a shade just decides it "doesn't want to cooperate" are maddeningly annoying. And having NO DEBUGGING TOOLS makes it pretty much impossible to narrow down why.
As mentioned before, according to the FCC test report below, PowerView appears to be based on Bluetooth LE (the report uses the designation).
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=2581486

However, on closer inspection of the report, it looks as if the protocol was "proprietized": instead of using the three BLE advertising channels and any/all remaining 37 data channels, they use only one advert channel (#39/2480 MHz), one standard data channel (2440 MHz) and one non-standard channel (2407MHz).

Assuming, the advert channel is a "real" ble channel, one could try and intercept the signal with a ble sniffer and obtain the signal strength because without knowing the signal propagation pattern one would not get very far.

Failing that and given enough motivation, one could try an inexpensive RTL-SDR receiver with a down-converter to intercept/decode the raw RF signal which may be tricky due to the fact that the 2.4GHz band is pretty crowded.

Of course, all this activity would not be necessary if whoever designed PowerView RF part knew what he/she/they were doing.
post #118 of 187 Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc123 View Post
Of course, all this activity would not be necessary if whoever designed PowerView RF part knew what he/she/they were doing.
Ding, ding! Give that man a prize for that quote.

It's always a fresh disappointment when a vendor takes a perfectly useful protocol and effs it up.

But if it's 'close enough' to actual BLE then I suppose there's a small chance of being able to at least debug it with BLE tools.
post #119 of 187 Old 02-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
But if it's 'close enough' to actual BLE then I suppose there's a small chance of being able to at least debug it with BLE tools.
When I played last year with a TI sensortag trying to convert it to an Eddystone to measure temp/humidity outside, I started with a Nordic sniffer. I chose it instead of the TI sniffer because the Nordic one could scan all three advert channels simultaneously while the TI sniffer could do only one channel at a time. However, I ended up returning the Nordic one and getting a cheap TI dongle because the former sensitivity was pretty poor. The TI usb dongle based on the CC2540 chip I got worked quite well for my purposes. It is similar if not identical to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CC2540-U...-/261526828093

The software, SmartRF Packet Sniffer, freely downloadable from the TI website is pretty crude, but adequate in the sense that one can see actual packets and the signal strength.
post #120 of 187 Old 02-22-2017, 07:11 PM

Did any one try to convert their power rise blinds to power view?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page