Hunter Douglas PowerView shades & blinds - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #181 of 195 Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I spoke with a rep from HD who explained that the addition of the repeater in a scene is purely cosmetic. You can change the LED color via the scene, but it makes no difference in which repeater sends a signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 195 Old 11-07-2019, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Powerview Status from app and alexa help

Just had 3 x power view blinds installed into my bay window.
Currently linked one up to the app via the hub and have it running in homekit.
It was running on Alexa as well but for some reason seems to have stopped. I can tell alexa to turn on a scene but blinds do nothing.
Tried removing skill and re adding, adds everything fine but no control when you ask Alexa to turn on /off scene.

Also just got to work and loaded up thinking I could see the status of my blinds but it appears you cant, only select a scene. Seems a bit lacking if it cant do something that simple?

Pioneers SC-2023, Pioneers 6090 Plasma, M&K 5's, Centre: Monitor Bronze BX, Rel Sub.

Last edited by mccltd; 11-07-2019 at 02:59 AM.
post #183 of 195 Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccltd View Post
Just had 3 x power view blinds installed into my bay window.
Currently linked one up to the app via the hub and have it running in homekit.
It was running on Alexa as well but for some reason seems to have stopped. I can tell alexa to turn on a scene but blinds do nothing.
Tried removing skill and re adding, adds everything fine but no control when you ask Alexa to turn on /off scene.

Also just got to work and loaded up thinking I could see the status of my blinds but it appears you cant, only select a scene. Seems a bit lacking if it cant do something that simple?

Doesn't sound right. I can see the battery/open status in the HD app and Home (Homekit app) on all my blinds, both at home and at work.

Home manages things so well that I hardly ever use the PowerView app since the initial setup. I have Home notify me when the blinds open or close when I am away from home. They open around sunrise (to various levels, dependent on where the sun is), one closes around the middle of the day to block the sun and then they all close around sunset.

My four blinds are all in the same room and I don't use the repeater that was part of the package. The hub is hidden away behind the entertainment console but still does a good job keeping touch with the blinds.

I am almost at a year of owning my HD blinds and the battery level is still in the 90% levels which is much better than I was expecting.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 195 Old 11-13-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got our lightlock duette shades installed. When I installed the app 3 or our shades show up as "undefined" type. I can set the type manually, but it doesn't give me the top-down/bottom-up option, which they are.

Upon closer inspection, all 3 shades have an older firmware version. Is there a way to flash these things? Or do j have a tech come out?
post #185 of 195 Old 02-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just had new Duette & Applause shades installed and all work fine except that the PowerView Hub won't update its firmware. I've gone through the steps multiple times and it acts like it's doing it - solid amber light for several minutes followed by blinking blue reboot and then solid blue for operational. But the app - on several devices - keeps saying it needs the update. I talked to HD and they said yes, I have tried everything they would recommend (retry, reset, etc.) so I should try taking the hub to the dealer so they could try on their network. A hassle. Anyone else run into this?
post #186 of 195 Old 02-29-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can we use any modern day Smart Plugin or it has to be X10 Controllable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
See attached. Then plug that into an X10 controllable outlet and boom. Done!
Jasonn B - Can I use any modern day Smart Plugin such as - TECKIN Smart Plug WiFi Outlet 15A .....OR ......Does it need to be X10 controllable outlet????
post #187 of 195 Old 02-29-2020, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This is for PoweRise (Platinum) Technology Shades from HD.

I read this - Limitation of the HD RF adapter is that it only works with products that open and close (tilting products will not work) and only gives you all open and all close as there is no way to send more than one open and one close command.

What you can't do, is while the blinds are opening, get them to stop

I am curious to know if any one has figured out a solution or suggestion around this other than using the Platinum Bridge Kit.........
post #188 of 195 Old 04-13-2020, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 116
My PowerView Experience

I have had HD solar shades with PowerView for a few months now. The upper & lower levels each have 7 shades, most are large, say 8 ft x 8 ft. Have one center hub and two end repeaters on main level. The upper & lower shades are over each other. All essentially on the same back wall. Reception to every shade seems strong. Also have one Pebble remote for each level.

My evaluation after a few months is basically, this PowerView thing is buggy and inconsistent. Sometimes, the hub disappears. Usually can't get it back re-connecting through the app. Sometimes it works on my wife's phone and not mine or vice versa. Sometimes I wait, and the next day the hub works with no intervention. Sometimes re-booting hub works, sometimes it doesn't.

Frequently, the app, after refreshing a shade prior to activation, gets it wrong whether up or down. I suspect that often comes from using the remote, which confuses the PowerView, but not sure. Regardless, the PowerView shade auto-refresh should cure that. I frequently have to refresh two times and sometimes three or four times before it reads the shade status properly. Sometimes, it never reads it properly, then I have to open it on app to then close it or vice versa.

Sometimes, everything seems OK, I'm operating various shades, then get a message, "Error, could not complete your request. Please try again." Usually have to wait this one out as well, maybe a day.

The remote works a lot better, but I need 7 zones, not the 6 available. But, it's not flawless either. Sometimes, if I press all up or down, one shade may miss the call. The shade which misses varies. But, this is relatively rare compared to misfires in PowerView.

Before we bought this, the installer said PowerView works pretty well now in something like its 10th generation. Says he gets few complaints compared to years ago. BTW, when I talked to tech support a while back, they said the battery & signal levels are unreliable in the app. They're working on fixing that.

I haven't tried the scene automation as I have no confidence it would work consistently. As is, if I operate a shade out of sight, I have to go check it anyway. If I had some daily automated operation and we were gone on vacation, I foresee a shade disaster.

My other gripe is the lack of dual-band (5 GHz) WiFi for the hub. Everything else in the house is dual-band. I have to leave our cell phones locked in to 2.4 so as to be able to access PowerView. That deteriorates the WiFi speed for the phones.

What experience have the rest of you had? Thanks.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050, Seymour Center Stage XD 130"w 150"d 16:9, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 BD/SACD, Harmony Elite Remote, 10 Seats
post #189 of 195 Old 04-13-2020, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I programmed schedules for ours and very rarely use the app or remotes.

My hub is hard-wired to Ethernet. For 'infrastructure' stuff like this I have zero desire to add wonky WiFi troubles to the mix.

I have several repeaters in addition to the hub. I can't recall what the specs dictate but mine are probably spaced about 25' max distance between any shades and repeaters.

I started with the dark gray squarish hub and USB-key style repeaters, and had a fair bit of hassle. I upgraded to the newer rounded style of both the hub and the repeaters and it's been a lot less troublesome.

I almost NEVER use the Pebble remotes. I kinda gave up on them when I still had the square hub. I should probably revisit using them, or at least re-pairing them again.

My suggestion, get the latest hub/repeater hardware. Wire a connection to the hub. Add repeaters such that you've got better coverage. That should probably go a long way toward minimizing the hassles.
post #190 of 195 Old 04-13-2020, 11:39 AM

The WiFi signal is very strong, don't think that's the problem. I have a lot of WiFi IOT in the house with no WiFi issues. I have the latest hub (Gen 2) & repeaters, all bought new a few months ago. I could hook to Ethernet across the room in a cabinet, but that would weaken Hub's use as a repeater.

I'd say all shades are within about 15 ft or so of a repeater or hub but some walls are involved. If it's an RF location issue, I think that would be consistent with a particular shade. The one's that fail to occasionally operate from the RF remote vary. Thanks.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050, Seymour Center Stage XD 130"w 150"d 16:9, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 BD/SACD, Harmony Elite Remote, 10 Seats
post #191 of 195 Old 04-13-2020, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You perhaps miss my point, doesn't really matter about the signal strength. What matters is uninterrupted connectivity. Take Wifi out of the equation and you lose the whole 2.4/5ghz inconvenience, along with any potential WiFi/DHCP network re-negotiating issues and such.

OH, along that tangent, you ARE using static IP addresses and DHCP leases, right?

The hub itself is the source of the signals. Arrange the repeaters to provide signals accordingly.

We did have one shade that really did not like being in one particular location (no idea why). On a whim I moved it to a different window (thankfully they were the same dimensions) and the problem magically went away. I did have to re-do the setup and grouping, but that wasn't terribly difficult.
post #192 of 195 Old 04-13-2020, 12:16 PM

Good point. Thanks for elaborating. I'll try Ethernet. May need another repeater. As far as static IP, etc., I don't mess with defaults, but don't think anything I have is static IP.

post #193 of 195 Old 04-13-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
OH, along that tangent, you ARE using static IP addresses and DHCP leases, right?
Connected to Ethernet. Every shade still connects to hub or repeater so good there. I see the PowerView app offers a static IP option. Should I turn that on? What does that do? Thanks.

post #194 of 195 Old 04-13-2020, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For devices that don't move I greatly prefer using static addresses. But when possible I also set up a DHCP lease to match it. That way if the device gets reset "for whatever reason" it'll get the same IP address as before.

I find this is a good practice for all devices on the network. On some routers you can go a step further, you can set up leases that are in a range DIFFERENT than the DHCP pool. As in, device addresses 1-150 (or whatever) are set up with leases, but 151-254 is set up to handle the DHCP lease pool. You can adjust this as your network needs require, of course. I find this handy for situations where there's something going on and I don't have the IP address of every single device committed to memory, but I do know if they're above 150 then they're not ones I'd set up previously.

So take the above into consideration as to how you want to have you hub integrate with the rest of your devices.

Oh, and start a spreadsheet of the devices (device name, IP, MAC, etc). I find a google docs sheet file works, but Excel or even plain text would work, up to you.
post #195 of 195 Old 05-26-2020, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The consensus seems to be that these have somewhat finicky wireless even on the gen two hubs?

HD knows and we have to spend more money for repeaters when their tech is the problem and doesn’t have the r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page