Hunter Douglas PowerView shades & blinds - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #1 of 184 Old 08-13-2015, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Hunter Douglas PowerView shades & blinds

I've got 15 of the new PowerView shades, in four rooms. It's a newly built house (no old materials or RF-blocking lead paint). It's 3 stories, including basement, with a mostly open floorplan.

The mesh RF setup is uneven, at best. But then I'm only a few days into owning them. I expected a bit of rearranging was going to be necessary. The hub (their RF-to-ethernet bridge) had to be moved up to the Master Bedroom (along with a Tivo, wired Chromecast, Amazon FireTV and other gear). I've got their repeaters in the other rooms. The repeaters are positioned such that they're in-between the shades for that room and the hub. As in, upstairs shades -> hub -> repeater -> 1st floor shades.

The initial experience is, to be kind, uneven. If I use the PowerView remote (the pebble) to manually join the shades to it that seemed to work. But in the master bedroom one of them has decided not to answer to the remote. Likewise, two of the five in the living room don't seem to want to respond consistently.

The app on iOS is not great. For one, it has NO SECURITY AT ALL. Nor does it have a non-editing mode. Right, so anyone with access to my WiFi network has the ability to do ANYTHING to the setup of the hub! Who the Hell thought this was a good idea? Ok, so that's BAD. But to make things worse, there's no read-only mode. So I can't put the app on anything accessible to anyone else in the house. At least not without risking someone accidentally making unintended changes to the configuration.

There's also no technical information accessible for troubleshooting. No way to tell the strength a given device has to the RF network. So placement of the hubs and repeaters is pretty much blind hit-and-miss guesswork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 184 Old 09-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, now that you've had them for a few weeks, any different feelings?

I'm looking to get a few Hunter Douglas honeycomb shades and thinking of making the master bedroom one with powerview.
post #3 of 184 Old 10-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To echo Heatseaker's request... Any updates?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 184 Old 10-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
There's also no technical information accessible for troubleshooting. No way to tell the strength a given device has to the RF network. So placement of the hubs and repeaters is pretty much blind hit-and-miss guesswork.
Mind if I ask you how much of an add-on did the motors cost versus manual? My local guy wants to charge $260 per motor. Seems pretty steep but it's nice to not have have to run power to the windows as well as smart control.

What kind of max distance are you getting with the repeaters? I know it's tough since every house is different but any description of the distance would be helpful to me since I know I will need at least one repeater, if not then two.

Has anyone tried Eneloops in one of these Hunter Douglas battery wands? Their site says they recommend using Alkaline and not rechargeables but it'd be nice to hear real user experiences.

One more thing, I read your Android app review. I'll follow up with a similar review so we can gain some traction and getting them to implement some changes. As a related question, is there a feature to do randomized for security purposes?

Last edited by wildta; 10-26-2015 at 03:34 PM.
post #5 of 184 Old 10-28-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildta View Post
Mind if I ask you how much of an add-on did the motors cost versus manual? My local guy wants to charge $260 per motor. Seems pretty steep but it's nice to not have have to run power to the windows as well as smart control.

What kind of max distance are you getting with the repeaters? I know it's tough since every house is different but any description of the distance would be helpful to me since I know I will need at least one repeater, if not then two.

Has anyone tried Eneloops in one of these Hunter Douglas battery wands? Their site says they recommend using Alkaline and not rechargeables but it'd be nice to hear real user experiences.

One more thing, I read your Android app review. I'll follow up with a similar review so we can gain some traction and getting them to implement some changes. As a related question, is there a feature to do randomized for security purposes?
I'm just going with the supplied Energizers. We'll see how long they last. The wand/container for them makes it pretty easy to replace them. I'm only a two months into using them, with daily scheduled changes, and they're still going... and going... (heh, advertising jingles...)

The security stinks, no replies from them on the issue. Granted, it's only an issue if someone knows enough to a) break into your wifi network and b) knows what kind of blinds you're running. So make sure you're not using an open WiFi network for accessing the hub.

This could be a real problem if you have kids with access to devices that can run the apps. There's absolutely no way to prevent access to any subset or group of shades. Anyone with the app, on the network, can do anything & everything to the shades and their configuration. THIS IS BAD. There's no way to prevent someone from 'accidentally' screwing around with the schedules.

Without some sort of 'scope' or something that shows the RF strength numbers I don't have any idea how to determine coverage. Mine is new construction (stick frame, drywall, wood floors) and I've got a repeater dongle between 12' and 25' from the hub to the various shades. Hub is in the master bedroom upstairs, repeater about 18' out the hall and down in the stairway (glad I put that outlet there). Next repeater is about 12' away (covering shades within 15' of it) and the last one is about 25' (within 10' of the shades in that room). It's a relatively open floorplan, but for the one with the 25' gap there's at least two drywall stud walls between them (on the same floor). The last repeater is also about 25' distant.

It has been very nice having scheduled control over the shades. The black-out shades in the master bedroom serve as a second alarm clock! When my child's old enough for me not to worry about having shades get wrecked I'm definitely going to consider changing the manual ones to automatic.

We almost never use the manual controls. Their wall-mount for the remote is on my to-do list for purchasing. The hand-held pebble is nice but doesn't lend itself to being stuck on the wall with 3M strips.

Had I not needed top-down/bottom-up shades (which we absolutely love) I would not have gotten Hunter Douglas. The lack of app network security, lack of tools for coverage and need for repeaters really makes them less appealing than, say, Lutron's offerings. With Lutron I'd at least have been able to capitalize on the existing RF network that handle my lighting, gotten their app security and not had added repeaters all over the place.
post #6 of 184 Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I'm just going with the supplied Energizers. We'll see how long they last. The wand/container for them makes it pretty easy to replace them. I'm only a two months into using them, with daily scheduled changes, and they're still going... and going... (heh, advertising jingles...)

The security stinks, no replies from them on the issue. Granted, it's only an issue if someone knows enough to a) break into your wifi network and b) knows what kind of blinds you're running. So make sure you're not using an open WiFi network for accessing the hub.

This could be a real problem if you have kids with access to devices that can run the apps. There's absolutely no way to prevent access to any subset or group of shades. Anyone with the app, on the network, can do anything & everything to the shades and their configuration. THIS IS BAD. There's no way to prevent someone from 'accidentally' screwing around with the schedules.

Without some sort of 'scope' or something that shows the RF strength numbers I don't have any idea how to determine coverage. Mine is new construction (stick frame, drywall, wood floors) and I've got a repeater dongle between 12' and 25' from the hub to the various shades. Hub is in the master bedroom upstairs, repeater about 18' out the hall and down in the stairway (glad I put that outlet there). Next repeater is about 12' away (covering shades within 15' of it) and the last one is about 25' (within 10' of the shades in that room). It's a relatively open floorplan, but for the one with the 25' gap there's at least two drywall stud walls between them (on the same floor). The last repeater is also about 25' distant.

It has been very nice having scheduled control over the shades. The black-out shades in the master bedroom serve as a second alarm clock! When my child's old enough for me not to worry about having shades get wrecked I'm definitely going to consider changing the manual ones to automatic.

We almost never use the manual controls. Their wall-mount for the remote is on my to-do list for purchasing. The hand-held pebble is nice but doesn't lend itself to being stuck on the wall with 3M strips.

Had I not needed top-down/bottom-up shades (which we absolutely love) I would not have gotten Hunter Douglas. The lack of app network security, lack of tools for coverage and need for repeaters really makes them less appealing than, say, Lutron's offerings. With Lutron I'd at least have been able to capitalize on the existing RF network that handle my lighting, gotten their app security and not had added repeaters all over the place.
Sounds like I'm going to have to purchase a lot more repeaters than I had originally though. Ugh!

Thank you for your response!
post #7 of 184 Old 10-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
...The lack of app network security, lack of tools for coverage and need for repeaters really makes them less appealing than, say, Lutron's offerings. With Lutron I'd at least have been able to capitalize on the existing RF network that handle my lighting, gotten their app security and not had added repeaters all over the place.
Sounds like I'm going to have to purchase a lot more repeaters than I had originally thought. Ugh!

Thank you for your response!
post #8 of 184 Old 10-29-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
With Lutron I'd at least have ... gotten their app security
I was with you up till this point. Where have you found any security in Lutron's app? Anyone with a phone or iPad can get a Lutron app and change all your keypad scenes and schedules - about the same "security" as in Hunter Douglas' offering.
post #9 of 184 Old 10-29-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

When I setup the Lutron app for my radio ra2 gear it does require setting up username and password on the main repeater. So while it is using the telnet protocol, in the clear over the wire, it does at least control access. That and the app does block homeowner edits if you choose that setting.

I don't have any shades associated with it but it would seem reasonable to assume that since they are joined to the same repeater and controlled by the same app there be the same username and password security associated with it.

As for Hunter Douglas repeaters, I'd suggest you clear it ahead of time with your installer or reseller that you may need to return some of the repeaters. That's how my installer handled it. They brought along about a half dozen and I think I'm only using four.
post #10 of 184 Old 10-29-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
When I setup the Lutron app for my radio ra2 gear it does require setting up username and password on the main repeater. So while it is using the telnet protocol, in the clear over the wire, it does at least control access.
That was true, long time ago, not anymore. I think since firmware version 6.0 or so main repeater no longer needs manual username/password configuration - app connects to it automatically. It works this way with HomeSense app too.

Quote:
That and the app does block homeowner edits if you choose that setting.
Well, that isn't real security, but yes, it does limit access somewhat. It would stop any 2 year old but probably not any 6 year old.

Hunter Douglas app though is really bad, really hard to use and those buttons are hard to tap. I don't have to deal with it anymore though after I integrated control (and scheduling) into my RA2 setup.
post #11 of 184 Old 12-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Anyone here know how to set the top/open stop limit of these Hunter Douglas Powerview roller shades? I've only been able to find instructions on how to set the bottom/closed stop limit via
. I've tried the opposite by hitting the open button instead of closed using the same instructions but it's not working. It's pretty unbelievable that Hunter Douglas would not include these basic instructions for the consumer--makes me wonder what else they left out such as security protocols.

It's Sunday so I thought I'd ask the forum instead of waiting to call my installer or HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #12 of 184 Old 12-21-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Anyone here know how to set the top/open stop limit of these Hunter Douglas Powerview roller shades? I've only been able to find instructions on how to set the bottom/closed stop limit via youtube. I've tried the opposite by hitting the open button instead of closed using the same instructions but it's not working. It's pretty unbelievable that Hunter Douglas would not include these basic instructions for the consumer--makes me wonder what else they left out such as security protocols.

It's Sunday so I thought I'd ask the forum instead of waiting to call my installer or HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think the top limit is set automatically by the shade itself. Check the instruction book that comes with them.
post #13 of 184 Old 12-21-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
I think the top limit is set automatically by the shade itself. Check the instruction book that comes with them.
You're right it does automatically set the top limit. It'd be nice if the instructions stated that. Thanks!
post #14 of 184 Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're right it does automatically set the top limit. It'd be nice if the instructions stated that. Thanks!
The 'instructions' are barely more than marketing brochures. I'd love to see actual training manual instructions. It's very disappointing there's no tools at all for doing ANY kind of signal strength measurement. Instead it's just hit-and-miss putting repeaters all over the place.
post #15 of 184 Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'm surprised you haven't pushed to obtain more H-D install/spec sheets/manuals. Installer difficult? Have you tried to sign up as an installer? Probably very well protected, but no harm in trying.
post #16 of 184 Old 03-06-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have powerrise 1.0 and 2.0 shades. I love the 2.0 shades. Has anyone had those and then get to try the new PowerView? Thoughts?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #17 of 184 Old 04-27-2016, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently bought these shades and I love the fact that I can configure the app myself. I love adjusting the scenes and the namin ETC myself without need to call the dealer. However the overall system is buggy. If I add 3 shades to a scene, 2 out of the 3 may work but the 3rd just ignores me. It works fine if I talk directly to it. I then "recalibrate it" and it works for a day or so. My hub distance isn't the issue becaus I can jog each shade no problem. Seems like there is an internal mapping glitch for scene memory. Dealer says HD claims all scenes are stored in the hub. I thought I read all scenes are stored in my app.
I've talked to other people with Power View. Same experience. Works one day doesn't work he next. Waaaaay too expensive to be this unreliable. I'm hopeful for an app update which they have pushed out every month or so. Sure HD knows of the issue. Just waiting for them to fix it.
post #18 of 184 Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2112 View Post
I recently bought these shades and I love the fact that I can configure the app myself. I love adjusting the scenes and the namin ETC myself without need to call the dealer. However the overall system is buggy. If I add 3 shades to a scene, 2 out of the 3 may work but the 3rd just ignores me. It works fine if I talk directly to it. I then "recalibrate it" and it works for a day or so. My hub distance isn't the issue becaus I can jog each shade no problem. Seems like there is an internal mapping glitch for scene memory. Dealer says HD claims all scenes are stored in the hub. I thought I read all scenes are stored in my app.
I've talked to other people with Power View. Same experience. Works one day doesn't work he next. Waaaaay too expensive to be this unreliable. I'm hopeful for an app update which they have pushed out every month or so. Sure HD knows of the issue. Just waiting for them to fix it.
I'm having the same issue. Just had my Power View hub installed a couple weeks ago and some scheduled scenes work while other don't at all! I feel like I've done every trick in the book to troubleshoot and I still can't get it to work. If you have time, please make sure to rate the app negatively with these issues in their App Store and call HD to complain. Perhaps with enough complaints and one-star reviews, we will get this addressed otherwise it defeats the purpose of the hub!
post #19 of 184 Old 04-29-2016, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm having the same issue. Just had my Power View hub installed a couple weeks ago and some scheduled scenes work while other don't at all! I feel like I've done every trick in the book to troubleshoot and I still can't get it to work. If you have time, please make sure to rate the app negatively with these issues in their App Store and call HD to complain. Perhaps with enough complaints and one-star reviews, we will get this addressed otherwise it defeats the purpose of the hub!
+1, I just had 10 powerview shades installed without the hub. I am controlling the shades with the Pebble remote only and have very similar issues. The All function is very unreliable missing random shades. Also twice I had to power cycle two different shades as they became unresponsive, by unplugging the battery pack. Do you think possibly, the issues are with the shades and not the hub, network, etc.?
post #20 of 184 Old 04-30-2016, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm having the same issues. I have 6, soon to be 8, of the PowerView solar shades and they have been buggy since a few days after the installation. The hub app, scene and scheduling setup was easy enough but the operation after a few days seems to have a mind of its own. Shades won't operate at times. Other times it will bypass the close limit to the end of the roller so a lot of the shade is bunched on the floor. I will be contacting HD with my complaints about the product and also give the app the rating is deserves for now. Hopefully they will get there stuff together soon.
post #21 of 184 Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmolift View Post
+1, I just had 10 powerview shades installed without the hub. I am controlling the shades with the Pebble remote only and have very similar issues. The All function is very unreliable missing random shades. Also twice I had to power cycle two different shades as they became unresponsive, by unplugging the battery pack. Do you think possibly, the issues are with the shades and not the hub, network, etc.?
It's possible the issues are with the shades but you would not be able to know unless you received a replacement roller. I had an issue with one of my units where I swapped out battery packs, even though batteries were fresh, and that fixed the issue on one of them. The battery pack may have been defective, which is kind of a surprise for such a basic item.

Btw, it might be worth posting your issues on their Facebook and Twitter feeds:

https://www.facebook.com/HunterDouglas/

https://twitter.com/HunterDouglas

Last edited by wildta; 04-30-2016 at 04:53 PM.
post #22 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It's possible the issues are with the shades but you would not be able to know unless you received a replacement roller. I had an issue with one of my units where I swapped out battery packs, even though batteries were fresh, and that fixed the issue on one of them. The battery pack may have been defective, which is kind of a surprise for such a basic item.

Btw, it might be worth posting your issues on their Facebook and Twitter feeds:

https://www.facebook.com/HunterDouglas/

https://twitter.com/HunterDouglas
I have held back payment until they work. We tried battery pack swaps, and fresh batterries. The failures are very random across the shades. I believe they have an engineering issue with the rf signals causing the shades to randomly miss signal as if the signal strength is not good. But this happens when directly in front of the shades. Until it works correctly with the pepple remote, it's not likely to work with the hub. Unless, the hub has a stronger signal....but from reading this thread it seems to have the same issues.
post #23 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I believe they have an engineering issue with the rf signals causing the shades to randomly miss signal as if the signal strength is not good. But this happens when directly in front of the shades.
Yes, it is a known issue with their bridge. Even if you install repeaters, sometimes shades miss a RF signal. The easiest workaround is to repeat the command. Let's say you have a scene to trigger in the morning at 7:00am. You just setup it to trigger this scene again at 7:00:15am. It is not pretty, but it does solve the reliability issue.
post #24 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have to imagine there's something in the hub that could show signal strengths or other stats. I realize this isn't something most folks would need, but for the select few that are having problems it would be of TREMENDOUS HELP.

I'd imagine there must be some HD engineers out there working on these, and I trust they mean well, but someone in management must really be bungling what they're trying to create.

Otherwise I have to say that unless you need something only the HD shades can provide (like top-down) you'd be FAR BETTER OFF going with Lutron shades instead. Had they been available I would not have considered HD shades AT ALL. One of the newest features of Lutron shades is the ability to see battery levels in the app (or via a programming API). Lutron's RF connectivity is second-to-none (the best) and requires none of those flimsy repeater gizmos. So unless you've got your heart set on Hunter Douglas... run away and look at Lutron's shades instead.

Meanwhile, though, the ones that DO work have continued to do so, reliably and on schedule, several times a day.
post #25 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notek View Post
Yes, it is a known issue with their bridge. Even if you install repeaters, sometimes shades miss a RF signal. The easiest workaround is to repeat the command. Let's say you have a scene to trigger in the morning at 7:00am. You just setup it to trigger this scene again at 7:00:15am. It is not pretty, but it does solve the reliability issue.
The inexplicable part is some of the shades that don't react are pretty much the same distance from the hub or nearby repeaters! That and I've moved the hub and repeaters around a bit and the problem shades continue to have trouble. The aggravating thing is it doesn't happen all the time. It's not directly repeatable or consistent.

This is where having some kind of troubleshooting tools would be a LOT OF HELP!
post #26 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
The inexplicable part is some of the shades that don't react are pretty much the same distance from the hub or nearby repeaters! That and I've moved the hub and repeaters around a bit and the problem shades continue to have trouble. The aggravating thing is it doesn't happen all the time. It's not directly repeatable or consistent.

This is where having some kind of troubleshooting tools would be a LOT OF HELP!
After reading through the replies here.... My guess is the rf receiver within the shade is not reliably locking on to the rf signal. This would explain why the shade randomly fails to communicate with the Pebble Remote and the Hub/Bridge regardless of distance/placement. You say this is a known issue, has HD confirmed this issue? Also do you know if the repeaters work with the Pebble Remote, or only with the Hub/Bridge?
post #27 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After reading through the replies here.... My guess is the rf receiver within the shade is not reliably locking on to the rf signal. This would explain why the shade randomly fails to communicate with the Pebble Remote and the Hub/Bridge regardless of distance/placement. You say this is a known issue, has HD confirmed this issue? Also do you know if the repeaters work with the Pebble Remote, or only with the Hub/Bridge?
There's no decent documentation available anywhere that explains what goes on between the shades, the hub, repeaters and remotes. Near as I can determine the shades speak to both the hub and the remotes independently of each other. That is, the remote is paired to the shade directly and the hub has no idea they're present. At least nothing in the app gives any indication of the remotes being present.

I am not using the remotes out of the room that has the shades. So I don't know if the remote would take advantage of the repeaters or not. I'll see if I can give it a try later today. I'll take the master bedroom remote downstairs and see if the commands from it make it back up to the shades. The trouble is I don't have any way of knowing whether the command would be going through the repeaters or directly to the shades by way of RF 'luck'. I don't think the LED on the repeaters ever lights up when a remote is being used.

Last edited by wkearney99; 05-01-2016 at 11:28 AM.
post #28 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
There's no decent documentation available anywhere that explains what goes on between the shades, the hub, repeaters and remotes. Near as I can determine the shades speak to both the hub and the remotes independently of each other. That is, the remote is paired to the shade directly and the hub has no idea they're present. At least nothing in the app gives any indication of the remotes being present.

I am not using the remotes out of the room that has the shades. So I don't know if the remote would take advantage of the repeaters or not. I'll see if I can give it a try later today. I'll take the master bedroom remote downstairs and see if the commands from it make it back up to the shades. The trouble is I don't have any way of knowing whether the command would be going through the repeaters or directly to the shades by way of RF 'luck'. I don't think the LED on the repeaters ever lights up when a remote is being used.
No documentation is annoying! I appreciate any help or experimenting. I am trying to learn as much as possible before the installers return to continue debugging these issues. Over the phone they implied that HD told them to install the Hub/Bridge to see if it fixes the problems on the assumption the Hub/Bridge has a stronger signal. But I am suspicious about that response based on this discussion, and it won't fix the remote. I believe the shades only respond to RF. The remotes and the Hub must speak the same RF so they can both control the shades. I would also agree that the remote and the Hub are independent of each other, basically providing the same functions; controlling the shades. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how the repeaters work. I was thinking they just repeated the RF signal received, but you said LED lights don't light on the repeater when using the remote, and they do with the HUB, so something different is going on there. I'd love to talk to one of the HD engineers on this.....
post #29 of 184 Old 05-01-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
No documentation is annoying! I appreciate any help or experimenting. I am trying to learn as much as possible before the installers return to continue debugging these issues. Over the phone they implied that HD told them to install the Hub/Bridge to see if it fixes the problems on the assumption the Hub/Bridge has a stronger signal. But I am suspicious about that response based on this discussion, and it won't fix the remote. I believe the shades only respond to RF. The remotes and the Hub must speak the same RF so they can both control the shades. I would also agree that the remote and the Hub are independent of each other, basically providing the same functions; controlling the shades. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how the repeaters work. I was thinking they just repeated the RF signal received, but you said LED lights don't light on the repeater when using the remote, and they do with the HUB, so something different is going on there. I'd love to talk to one of the HD engineers on this.....
After going a little deeper on this, I found and read the operator manuals for the remote, scene controller, repeater, hub and app. The shades themselves appear much more intelligent than I had thought. They respond to commands for discovery, position, etc. The best way to think of this is, the remote, hub, repeater and shades are on a wireless network all potentially communicating with each other. The repeater must act just like a wifi repeater, simply extending the network. So, if the shade drops a packet of information for some reason like it missed it's address match or had data errors, it wouldn't matter if it originated from the remote or the hub. Causing the same failure symptoms. This would possibly also explain why the shades go unresponsive requiring a power reset, because of bugs in the shade. When I see this unresponsive failure, the manual button stops working, ie. the shade crashed. I suppose this could also be a hardware failure. There must be a small micro and firmware in the shade. If so, can it be updated.......

Update: For those interested in more detail. I spoke to level 3 support at HD this morning. I have confirmed with HD that others have seen the unreliability of the RF signal. Their explanation is RF interference. Not that satisfying. As for the unresponsive shade issue, they claim they are unaware of this problem. (but are now as of 5/2/16!) HD said that until the shades work reliably with the remote, they are not likely to work reliably with the Hub. The recommendation for the RF reliability issue is to add repeaters. Although, HD says the repeater does not have a stronger signal than the remote, but that the repeater is repeating the signal. So if the shade misses the signal from the remote, it can get it from the repeater. All sounds like a kludgy workaround, what if the repeater misses the signal, or the shade misses the signal twice. The remote, Hub, shade, repeater etc. are all on the same RF network, so the remote does work with the repeater, you do not need the hub. I was told the firmware within the shade was last updated in January of 2016. This firmware can not be updated in the field, its a motor swap to get the newer firmware. HD is looking into the non-responsive issue with the Engineers and will update me at a later date. I plan to get the installers back, and attempt adding just the repeaters to see if things improve.

As a side note, my 2 cents. The RF network is by definition using an unreliable media, that is, RF. For communication to/from the shade to be reliable, you must run a reliable protocol over the unreliable media. If this is not the case, the shades will always have the potential to miss commands and instructions.

Update: I have verified with HD, they do not use a reliable protocol between the shade and the Remote. The shade is programmed to respond to a Remote ID & Group ID, the remote broadcasts the command, the shade(s) receives it and executes the command. There is no acknowledgement. So the only way to make this reliable, is to have the shade reliably receive the command the first time every time. HD has been very pro-active on debugging these issue, attempting to reproduce the issues in their labs. I'll report the results back as they unfold.

Last edited by desmolift; 05-04-2016 at 02:40 PM.
post #30 of 184 Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was just looking in to these today and am glad I found this thread.

For those of you having issues, although you have said the distance between shades doesn't matter, are the ones you are working with all in the same room? Just wondering if I might get off easier as I'm only planning on doing the power modules in the master BR.

Interesting to hear that HD (via your local vendor I'm assuming) is still helping with the debug. Lots of times its set it up and "you're on your own sucker!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page