Aprilaire Controller - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-04-2015, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Aprilaire Controller

I currently have about a dozen Aprilaire 8870 thermostats running on a 8825 controller. About every two months the 8825 locks up and I need to completely reset, re-load the updates, and re-load my programming. Tech support never really offered any great advice to fix the problem. Has anybody used the newer 8826? I heard it lacked programming options that the 8825 had. Also, has anyone experienced any locking up of the 8826. I am not all that thrilled with spending $750 for an 8826 that uses an afobe flash interface. I am also considering two additional options. One, trying to find some other way to program and control the 8870's. I have not found any options other than a full blown home automation rig, Creston, AMX, C4, etc. Two, ditching all my Aprilaire stuff and getting set up with something new. My long term goal is to add a home automation system in the future. So I want to be sure that if I switch thermostats, I want to go with the best current option for home automation integration. Thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2015, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've used an Aprilaire 8826 with 11 8870 Thermostats for about 2 years now with no problems. More importantly, I've used the Aprilaire RS232 interface to connect the system to an Elk M1 Gold using their thermostat interface (knowledge of setting up Elk required). Using EkPro Blueprint for iPhone and iPad, I created a custom Alarm/Video/Temperature app (no actual programming required), thus eliminating the need for the 8826 altogether. Now I have a home control App that does Video, Temperature, and Security, which I can use to access my system globally from my phone.

That said, if I had to do things over again, I probably would not have gone down this path.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm actually in a similar situation to the original poster and you. I have 9 Aprilaire 8870 thermostats all hooked up to a 8825 controller. The 8825 controller desperately needs an upgrade and I saw that you had opted for Elk M1 Gold to replace the controller, but you mention that you would have not gone down this path. What do you recommend I do to upgrade the 8825?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I've spent hours online trying to find a solution that won't cost me tens of thousands of dollars and that also won't require me to program a UI from scratch (such as Charmed Quark).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-28-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
I've used an Aprilaire 8826 with 11 8870 Thermostats for about 2 years now with no problems. More importantly, I've used the Aprilaire RS232 interface to connect the system to an Elk M1 Gold using their thermostat interface (knowledge of setting up Elk required). Using EkPro Blueprint for iPhone and iPad, I created a custom Alarm/Video/Temperature app (no actual programming required), thus eliminating the need for the 8826 altogether. Now I have a home control App that does Video, Temperature, and Security, which I can use to access my system globally from my phone.

That said, if I had to do things over again, I probably would not have gone down this path.
Still new to this forum so I'm trying to reply and mention you in the hope that you see this @xs10shl
Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Suignard View Post
Still new to this forum so I'm trying to reply and mention you in the hope that you see this @xs10shl
Thanks
I would not have chosen the Aprilaire in the first place - it was just too expensive for what it is/does. Elk, on the other hand, is fine, and I'd choose that again for perimeter security, but the Aprilaire system as a whole is just a bit of a burden to deal with. I cant' really say I've spent time researching what to install instead - likely something with good App support.

One nice discovery I've made in the past year was a Homeseer plugin that provides an additional interface into the Aprilaire/Elk system. It's not fantastic, but it provides the connectivity in such a way that would allow me to extend the interface of the 8825 to provide some modern attributes, like Speach to text, geofencing, or vacation mode. If you're looking to save a few $$, and everything is currently working fine, you might consider going this route to buy yourself some HA connectivity. Homeseer is relatively inexpensive, and some would say that it shows, BUT it has a very large 3rd party support network, and that was a high priority to me - there is really a ton of developer enthusiasm for writing plugins for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page