"Hardwired" panel power control - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Hardwired" panel power control

For our church we installed a couple of LG 65" panels. One reason for choosing LG was that they typically will come up in the last power state/input, thus we installed switched receptacles with the control back in the A/V booth.

Unfortunately these displays have integrated Roku functionality, and that OS doesn't seem to support this.

I don't like to rely on using remotes as there are multiple problems with that: distance, losing a remote, dead batteries, power status of each display out of sync with other, etc...

Thus I'm looking for a "hardwired" solution.

The displays don't have a data/serial connection, nor do they power on with signal detect.

I've considered:

- IR blaster of some sort wired to Mac in A/V booth. There seems to be a lack of tools for this, and the ones that do exist are pretty expensive for a glorified "On button"

- Network based IR blaster. Solutions seem expensive, and not much info on them I've found

- Build an Arduino based IR blaster that simply sends a constant stream of discrete power-on commands, and install it on the same switched outlets the displays are on. I've found one write up of such a device, but rolling my own seems a bit of a hassle.

I'm rather surprised there's not more software that can just drive a USB IR blaster.

Any other obvious solutions to this problem I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
HDMI CEC (SIMPLINK on LG?) is a standard for allowing remote control over HDMI. Macs apparently don't support CEC, but you can get CEC injectors and the Raspberry Pi offers CEC support.

A quick google suggests some LG TVs do offer the capability to turn on and change inputs using CEC (SIMPLINK).
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post
HDMI CEC (SIMPLINK on LG?) is a standard for allowing remote control over HDMI. Macs apparently don't support CEC, but you can get CEC injectors and the Raspberry Pi offers CEC support.

A quick google suggests some LG TVs do offer the capability to turn on and change inputs using CEC (SIMPLINK).
Ahh... interesting ideal. I know those panels do support CEC/Simplink to some extent, as there's a menu option to allow input switching via that method.

I don't know if that support also extends to power-on, as the menu item doesn't specify, and this is about the extent of the manual's discussion of the subject:

Quote:
Controlling other devices through CEC
Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) enables your TV and other CEC-compatible home entertainment components to control one other in various ways. First, the CEC-compatible devices must “discover” one another and report their capabilities. After this, one device can control another according to the features you enable. For example, playing a disc on a Blu-ray player could switch your TV to the Blu-ray player's input. Or, powering off your TV could also power off the Blu-ray player and the home theater receiver
Perhaps I'll post in the Displays section and see if anybody knows... It's an LG 65LF5700 for what's it's worth...

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you want an easy way to check CEC on those panels, the new Apple TV does power-on and input switching that way. You could just try it with an Apple TV to see if it's an option.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
If you want an easy way to check CEC on those panels, the new Apple TV does power-on and input switching that way. You could just try it with an Apple TV to see if it's an option.
Ah... I have a 3rd gen Apple TV in the system, do you know if it does it?

-Steve
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post
Ah... I have a 3rd gen Apple TV in the system, do you know if it does it?

As far as I know it's just the new one that has it, unfortunately.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-10-2016, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most TVs have a hidden menu called Hotel Mode that lets you set it to always turn on to a specific channel / input / volume level. Try googling the model number and "hotel mode" to find how to get to it. Usually it's some combination of remote buttons.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah, thanks... googling that for this model doesn't turn up anything specific, however there seems to be some general codes that work for a variety of LG TV's.

Unfortunately, many of them refer to specific numeric codes on the remote, which of course this Roku-integrated set does not have (the remote just has a few directional buttons, etc... it relies almost completely on the Roku on-screen menus for device control)... hence I wonder even if I do something like get a universal remote with numeric keypad, the Hotel Mode stuff will even work.

Thanks for the idea.. I'll give it a shot.

-sc

-Steve
post #9 of 9 Old 01-15-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Can you provide a specific model number for the display? That could help with the options which may be specific to that display.

A entry level control system may provide a solution as well, depending on the number of displays and what you want them to do.

Many manufacturers are VERY questionable with their displays and change them all the time. As you have found, just because something has worked 300 times before, doesn't mean the most recent model works the same way. Especially if you cut hard power to displays as a standard.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page