Bridge Hunter Douglas Platinum Hub to PowerView hub? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-27-2016, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bridge Hunter Douglas Platinum Hub to PowerView hub?

Hi,

I made significant investment in getting 15+ windows covered with HD blinds and shades just 2 years ago. Using the Platinum Gateway and a connection to Vera to remote control the blinds (individually and in scenes). It actually has become a pretty stable solution and connects to my whole house automation to satisfaction.
However ... there's always room for more :-). I see the HD PowerView system being more openly connected to solutions like Alexa (a missing feature with my current setup), IFTTT etc.

As both Platinum Gateway and the PowerView set up are totally different, the blinds are not interchangeable or easily upgradable, I'm trying to see if I could just grab the PowerView hub and bridge (through a RaspberryPi?) into the Platinum App hub.
With the Vera we discovered that the Platinum app is straightforward Telnet and actually even reports back on the status of each blind (close, open, % close, etc).

I'm not deep enough into writing code to know where to start so here's my question to the group ... did anyone already figure something that would bridge INTO the new PowerView hub, to open the new features of better/deeper HA integration? Would this be possible at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-27-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I suspect it would be similar in complexity and success rate to trying mate a dog and a cat.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Platinum Alexa Integration

Three months after buying the Platinum Series they stopped selling them and went to Powerview. I was not happy and they never integrated it with internet access. I set up an IFTTT that creates a dropbox file on my home PC. I have a program on my PC that when it sees a file of that (name and I name the dropbox file what I want done) It connects by Telnet to the Platinum Hub and sends the proper associated command.

So my Alexa command. "Alexa trigger Open Bedroom window" will create a dropbox file named OpenBedroomWindow.txt which a freeware program then sees that file created in that folder and executes small program I wrote in a windows batch file that then Telnets the command to the hub.

I found an Iphone app that I VPN into my home router and can send the same Telnet commands and thus control the blinds from anywhere.

I'd be glad to send you the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadwangchung View Post
Three months after buying the Platinum Series they stopped selling them and went to Powerview. I was not happy and they never integrated it with internet access. I set up an IFTTT that creates a dropbox file on my home PC. I have a program on my PC that when it sees a file of that (name and I name the dropbox file what I want done) It connects by Telnet to the Platinum Hub and sends the proper associated command.

So my Alexa command. "Alexa trigger Open Bedroom window" will create a dropbox file named OpenBedroomWindow.txt which a freeware program then sees that file created in that folder and executes small program I wrote in a windows batch file that then Telnets the command to the hub.

I found an Iphone app that I VPN into my home router and can send the same Telnet commands and thus control the blinds from anywhere.

I wish every one could be tech savvy like u
post #5 of 14 Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 570
i have the PowerView Silhouttte A deux blinds throughout my condo and I know what you mean they are EXPENSIVE 14K. If you purchased blinds 3 months before the PowerViews came out should have had them update you for free because they were well aware of the old style being discontinued. I had issues with mine and had all of my blinds remade free of charge. Hunter Douglas blinds are not cheap I would make some calls. I pebbles for every room and use the hunter douglass iPad and iPhone app for the scenes. I thought about automating further by purchasing a luton smart bridge and connecting a echo or something similar to put the light on (luton casetas) and put the blinds on. The whole automation thing scares me because i have a 2 year old toddler who would be screaming commands to turn on lights and pull up blinds and shades. LOL

Last edited by Dave-T; 06-08-2017 at 08:46 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-09-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
i have the PowerView Silhouttte A deux blinds throughout my condo and I know what you mean they are EXPENSIVE 14K. If you purchased blinds 3 months before the PowerViews came out should have had them update you for free because they were well aware of the old style being discontinued. I had issues with mine and had all of my blinds remade free of charge. Hunter Douglas blinds are not cheap I would make some calls. I pebbles for every room and use the hunter douglass iPad and iPhone app for the scenes. I thought about automating further by purchasing a luton smart bridge and connecting a echo or something similar to put the light on (luton casetas) and put the blinds on. The whole automation thing scares me because i have a 2 year old toddler who would be screaming commands to turn on lights and pull up blinds and shades. LOL
I have Silhhoutte too. Any idea when did u buy yours and time line when they swapped. I wish I could get that done too as they were not upgrading the motor either I think.
Please see if u couldd kindly pm me details, it might be worth a try.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
I have Silhhoutte too. Any idea when did u buy yours and time line when they swapped. I wish I could get that done too as they were not upgrading the motor either I think.
Please see if u couldd kindly pm me details, it might be worth a try.
Spoke to my installer today because he had to fix some trim on one of my Silhoutte a duex. i asked him about your situation and he told that the platinum motors will work with Powerview if you have the first hub which is the 2.1. How many motors do you need? I have two extra powerview motors because my installer had all of my blinds and shades remade and left an one at my place and said to keep it for spare parts.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Spoke to my installer today because he had to fix some trim on one of my Silhoutte a duex. i asked him about your situation and he told that the platinum motors will work with Powerview if you have the first hub which is the 2.1. How many motors do you need? I have two extra powerview motors because my installer had all of my blinds and shades remade and left an one at my place and said to keep it for spare parts.
Hello Dave,
I have 7 all together, but 2 would be good way to start. I assume the installer has to take those down and swap the motor? Mine are still under warranty, would it be considered warranty repair?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-21-2017, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
Hello Dave,
I have 7 all together, but 2 would be good way to start. I assume the installer has to take those down and swap the motor? Mine are still under warranty, would it be considered warranty repair?
the motors sell for $500 a piece. Did you buy from hunter Douglass directly or through a blinds/shade custom installer? I would ask if you could get a first gen hub the 2.1 before switching out 7 motors. The motors are very easy to swap. I think the installer would not charge you to swap motors, yes warranty repair. Did you ask about a discount on motors for buying so many? As your installer if they gave any laying around, you would be installed.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
the motors sell for $500 a piece. Did you buy from hunter Douglass directly or through a blinds/shade custom installer? I would ask if you could get a first gen hub the 2.1 before switching out 7 motors. The motors are very easy to swap. I think the installer would not charge you to swap motors, yes warranty repair. Did you ask about a discount on motors for buying so many? As your installer if they gave any laying around, you would be installed.
So shall I ask installer to sell me $500x7 motors installed? I guess I can buy new blinds $500/piece I think
post #11 of 14 Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
HI Dave:

Thanks for posting. Im precisely in that situation. Can you put me in contact with your installer? I need their assistance.

Thanks!
post #12 of 14 Old 03-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi, bigdadwangchung, can you share the details about the commands you sent through the telnet session?

Thank you!
Andrei
post #13 of 14 Old 04-11-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Zidarescu View Post
Hi, bigdadwangchung, can you share the details about the commands you sent through the telnet session?

Thank you!
Andrei
I would love to know the details of the commands as well. Thank you!
post #14 of 14 Old 10-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Help in how you did that

Quote:

Hi - I'd hugely appreciate the information as well either from Bigdadwangchung or someone else.

Thanks

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
hunter douglas , platinum gateway; raspberrypi; ifttt , powerview

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page