ADT Pulse - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By OmegaCard
  • 1 Post By ahard
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-03-2016, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
ADT Pulse

Anyone here running ADT Pulse? If so, what do you think about it? I have it in an out of town rental and have been pleased with it. The Web UI has makes it easy to set up schedules. I have video, thermostat, locks and lights and everything works fine together. Yet here, it doesn't seem to ever get mentioned. Sure they charge a little more for monitoring but seem to be compatible with the markets. I had a live watch system for a short time being and they were terrible. None of the self installed sensors were worth a darn. Kept falling off. Keypad would go bonkers etc.
OmegaCard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
BTW, I didn't want to come off as an ADT fan boy. I'm not. When I put my system in I was in a rush and didn't even think about building my own. ADT at the time seemed like a logical choice. Now that I've had time to explore the market further, I'm surprised ADT doesn't come up more in this section. I like how Samsung smart Hub(which seems to be an industry leader) integrates with Echo/Alexa. I'm hoping ADT comes out with that. The IFTTT looks pretty cool and is supposedly coming out with ADT, but ADT's web UI is so powerful when it comes to scheduling/triggers and automation I'm not sure what else I'd program it to do.

Anybody want to share other uses/functionality that I might be missing with some of the competing brands?

Some cool things I do: If one of my cameras detects motion, certain lights come on and certain cameras start recording. Any alarm turns on all the lights. At night, opening certain doors turns on lights. All lights go out after a certain hour. Bedroom lights come on in the morning like an alarm clock.
Alp Akdemir likes this.

Last edited by OmegaCard; 08-04-2016 at 07:18 AM.
OmegaCard is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCard View Post
BTW, I didn't want to come off as an ADT fan boy. I'm not. When I put my system in I was in a rush and didn't even think about building my own. ADT at the time seemed like a logical choice. Now that I've had time to explore the market further, I'm surprised ADT doesn't come up more in this section. I like how Samsung smart Hub(which seems to be an industry leader) integrates with Echo/Alexa. I'm hoping ADT comes out with that. The IFTTT looks pretty cool and is supposedly coming out with ADT, but ADT's web UI is so powerful when it comes to scheduling/triggers and automation I'm not sure what else I'd program it to do.

Anybody want to share other uses/functionality that I might be missing with some of the competing brands?

Some cool things I do: If one of my cameras detects motion, certain lights come on and certain cameras start recording. Any alarm turns on all the lights. At night, opening certain doors turns on lights. All lights go out after a certain hour. Bedroom lights come on in the morning like an alarm clock.
Hey bud! From what I've been reading ADT is signing up a lot of Pulse customers, so you're not alone. However, you have to remember that this forum is certainly niche when we compare it to the everyday gen pop (general population). On this forum you're likely to either hear about the $$$$ home control systems or the tweaker's dream system such as a Smart Things. So it only makes since that you're not going to hear from the ADT, Lowes Iris customers on this forum bc this forum really doesn't attract that group.

It sounds like you have a good system that does what most of these other home control system can do, + or - certain things like Amazon Echo integration.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
Hey bud! From what I've been reading ADT is signing up a lot of Pulse customers, so you're not alone. However, you have to remember that this forum is certainly niche when we compare it to the everyday gen pop (general population). On this forum you're likely to either hear about the $$$$ home control systems or the tweaker's dream system such as a Smart Things. So it only makes since that you're not going to hear from the ADT, Lowes Iris customers on this forum bc this forum really doesn't attract that group.

It sounds like you have a good system that does what most of these other home control system can do, + or - certain things like Amazon Echo integration.
Excuse me, but what's niche about Amazon Echo or Samsung Smart Things? Because you have to order it through Amazon or something? ADT has plenty tweaking in case you didn't know. I've installed dimmer switches, outlets, and cameras. Really the only thing you can't install is core alarm system devices. But then there's supposedly workarounds for that as well. Plenty of things to keep a tweaker busy. Lots of Pulse and Smart Things devices cross cover. My understanding is the main differences between the two is just the hub and interfaces. So anyone shopping would probably want to know the differences between the two. I'd like to hear what Iris people think as well. Or any other system for that matter. It's not about who's system is better. You're talking about giant corporations across the board here and they're all mainstream last I checked.

Some other cool things I do: I have my landscaping lights plug into an outdoor outlet so I can schedule them through Pulse instead of using the transformer box. Also need a dog daycare? Put the pups in the garage and schedule your garage doors to open however often you like. Use you camera's(indoor/outdoor) motion detector to let them back in or close it.

Wish List: Remote blinds and shades. They're a huge part of security. ADT sleeping at the wheel here. I like the concept of echo, but not sure how I would like Amazon having a giant microphone in my house. I heard all of those Samsung Smart TV voice commands are actually captured and stored on the net.
OmegaCard is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 08-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCard View Post
Excuse me, but what's niche about Amazon Echo or Samsung Smart Things? Because you have to order it through Amazon or something? ADT has plenty tweaking in case you didn't know. I've installed dimmer switches, outlets, and cameras. Really the only thing you can't install is core alarm system devices. But then there's supposedly workarounds for that as well. Plenty of things to keep a tweaker busy. Lots of Pulse and Smart Things devices cross cover. My understanding is the main differences between the two is just the hub and interfaces. So anyone shopping would probably want to know the differences between the two. I'd like to hear what Iris people think as well. Or any other system for that matter. It's not about who's system is better. You're talking about giant corporations across the board here and they're all mainstream last I checked.

Hello. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Echo or Smart Things aren't too niche. Echo is probably better know among the gen pop than SST. I was saying that the things we discuss on these forums are generally niche when compared to what the gen pop knows. There are certainly products that overlap across multiple systems. That's great for the end user.

When I talked about tweaking, I meant the different user created apps that SST has that allow users to tap into certain SST APIs. I'm not saying that that is good or bad even-though there have been articles written on SST's security.

Obviously ADT, Lowes, Nexia prefer a different model which provides those companies with more control over their systems from a security standpoint. I use Nexia which is very good and robust and is compatible with a wide range of Z-wave devices. From everything I've read ADT Pulse can do a lot of things, which is great for consumers. As you said it's a matter of what type of user interface one prefers. I prefer using a robust website to setup scenes/automations and to monitor what's happening with my system but I also like using the mobile app. Obviously, Pulse, Nexia and Iris offer that. Others prefer using a mobile app which is offered by all of the systems.



Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCard View Post
Some other cool things I do: I have my landscaping lights plug into an outdoor outlet so I can schedule them through Pulse instead of using the transformer box. Also need a dog daycare? Put the pups in the garage and schedule your garage doors to open however often you like. Use you camera's(indoor/outdoor) motion detector to let them back in or close it.

Wish List: Remote blinds and shades. They're a huge part of security. ADT sleeping at the wheel here. I like the concept of echo, but not sure how I would like Amazon having a giant microphone in my house. I heard all of those Samsung Smart TV voice commands are actually captured and stored on the net.

I'd like to get a Z-wave outdoor plug for Christmas lights for two trees in my yard. That way I can create a scene that will turn those lights on at sunset and off at bedtime. And your wish list is the same as mine. Nexia is compatible with Somfy's Z-wave control device for Somfy's RTS motors for blinds and roller shades. To automate all of the blinds in my home with the Somfy motors and 2 Z-wave ZTRSI devices would cost me $2.2k for 10 windows. It's on my to do list but it will not happen within the next year.

I like Echo and how it works with my system. Using Echo to turn lights on/off when your hands are full or as you're walking toward a room is quite useful. Nexia has put certain security measures in place which keeps Echo from doing things that could compromise your security; things like unlocking doors, opening garage doors; Echo can't do that on Nexia and I'm happy about that. Also, Echo will only wake when you command her to do so by saying the proper phrase. Echo works with my alarm system as well. I don't use Echo with my alarm because it doesn't arm 'Stay' the way that I'd prefer it to, which is how my alarm dot com setup the Echo integration.

Echo also works with my Harmony hub via IFTTT, which is great for turning on my A/V system as I walk into my home.
OmegaCard likes this.

XBL: Stunt1on1

Last edited by ahard; 08-05-2016 at 08:43 AM.
ahard is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 08-06-2016, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
No worries. There's a lot of ADT bashing out there and I couldn't really tell which direction you were going. I'm a software developer so the thrill from writing code has faded for me. But I can see how others would enjoy it. I really have no complaints with ADT user interfaces so far.

I'm jealous. I've been wanting blinds since I moved into my new home. Looked into Pella and they were wanting $1200 per remote shade not including the window. Told them to "blank" off. I'm going to research Somfy. --Thanks.

Would echo work in a large room? Any delays? I have a 10+ zone Sonos system that I might be interested in using echo to control.

Other things: I got a 19 foot LED bar that I have on a switch that I can control from Pulse. Pretty cool...
OmegaCard is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCard View Post
No worries. There's a lot of ADT bashing out there and I couldn't really tell which direction you were going. I'm a software developer so the thrill from writing code has faded for me. But I can see how others would enjoy it. I really have no complaints with ADT user interfaces so far.

I'm jealous. I've been wanting blinds since I moved into my new home. Looked into Pella and they were wanting $1200 per remote shade not including the window. Told them to "blank" off. I'm going to research Somfy. --Thanks.

Would echo work in a large room? Any delays? I have a 10+ zone Sonos system that I might be interested in using echo to control.

Other things: I got a 19 foot LED bar that I have on a switch that I can control from Pulse. Pretty cool...
Somfy does work with ADT. The Amazon Echo does work in a large room. Obviously, the louder the environment the more difficult it is for the speaker to hear your voice. My experience has been that if you're on the far end of a large room you'll need to raise your voice significantly for Alexa to hear you.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ADT pulse issues

For folks looking at using the ADT Pulse hub as their home automation center, I would like to chime in with my experience using ADT over the past two years. I have two (independent) networks in my house - one uses the ADT pulse hub and the other uses Logitech Harmony Elite with the Hub extender.

What I really like about the ADT Pulse hub is the web interface that you can use to program and set up various alerts, automations and schedules. BUT, I have had a couple of issues over the last two years. Just yesterday, I had half my Z-wave devices (including all three door locks) knocked offline. A couple of them did not just show up as "offline", they simply vanished as if they were never enrolled in that network. Rebooting the hub or refreshing the Z-wave network did not make one bit of a difference. The only option was to un-enroll all those devices and enroll them back again. I spent a good one hour just doing this. I had messages like the one below in the log. I have no idea what "ZWave Remote Controller" is.

Yesterday 3:26 PM - Device ****** was deleted by ZWave Remote Controller.

Anyone who has dealt with Z-wave devices knows that in order to enroll/un-enroll, the device needs to be within a few feet of the hub. This is part of the Z-wave protocol and is a HUGE pain. I had something similar happen to me last year with the same Pulse hub. Calling customer service is pretty much useless.

I strongly suspect a firmware update. If that's not the case, ADT has some serious firmware issues they need to sort out. The worst part is that you have very little control over the hub and you will never get ADT customer service to admit to anything. So I would strongly advice people to look at other options like MiCasa, Wink, Logitech, Smarthings, etc. Using the ADT pulse as your home automation center should be the absolute last resort.

cheers,
AJ,
San Jose, CA.
anupjose is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupjose View Post
For folks looking at using the ADT Pulse hub as their home automation center, I would like to chime in with my experience using ADT over the past two years. I have two (independent) networks in my house - one uses the ADT pulse hub and the other uses Logitech Harmony Elite with the Hub extender.

What I really like about the ADT Pulse hub is the web interface that you can use to program and set up various alerts, automations and schedules. BUT, I have had a couple of issues over the last two years. Just yesterday, I had half my Z-wave devices (including all three door locks) knocked offline. A couple of them did not just show up as "offline", they simply vanished as if they were never enrolled in that network. Rebooting the hub or refreshing the Z-wave network did not make one bit of a difference. The only option was to un-enroll all those devices and enroll them back again. I spent a good one hour just doing this. I had messages like the one below in the log. I have no idea what "ZWave Remote Controller" is.

Yesterday 3:26 PM - Device ****** was deleted by ZWave Remote Controller.

Anyone who has dealt with Z-wave devices knows that in order to enroll/un-enroll, the device needs to be within a few feet of the hub. This is part of the Z-wave protocol and is a HUGE pain. I had something similar happen to me last year with the same Pulse hub. Calling customer service is pretty much useless.

I strongly suspect a firmware update. If that's not the case, ADT has some serious firmware issues they need to sort out. The worst part is that you have very little control over the hub and you will never get ADT customer service to admit to anything. So I would strongly advice people to look at other options like MiCasa, Wink, Logitech, Smarthings, etc. Using the ADT pulse as your home automation center should be the absolute last resort.

cheers,
AJ,
San Jose, CA.

I feel your pain. They knocked out my outdoor cameras last year around this time with an update. All they needed to be was reset. Two of them were high up so I had them come out and fix it. Didn't cost me anything.

I wonder if you had something else happen since non of my equipment experienced any issues lately. Or maybe it takes place at the gateway... I haven't seen any updates to the software.

You don't have to be within a few feet to enroll devices. Especially with locks, light switches, and cameras that are already installed. All you have to do is hit their learn button when the app tells you to. My house is on the large size and I've installed light switches 2 floors away. Each Z-wave device has the potential to be a gateway in the network. I've had lots of problems with their Co2 detectors. Junk IMO.

Their national customer service is terrible, that's why I go through my local guys. I now call them up when I have a problem and get much better results.

I wouldn't recommend Logitech to an enemy. I don't know the model number, but the grey $50 or so remote controls are junk. Had 4 out of 5 go bad on me. Same goes for that $300 Logitech remote with hub I bought last year that is now wasting away in my cabinet. It's smartphone interface was a bad joke or something. Besides who wants to plug in 2 devices just to have one remote? I researched SmartThings and it's system seems like it's behind the ADT system.
OmegaCard is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Maverick0984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCard View Post
I feel your pain. They knocked out my outdoor cameras last year around this time with an update. All they needed to be was reset. Two of them were high up so I had them come out and fix it. Didn't cost me anything.

I wonder if you had something else happen since non of my equipment experienced any issues lately. Or maybe it takes place at the gateway... I haven't seen any updates to the software.

You don't have to be within a few feet to enroll devices. Especially with locks, light switches, and cameras that are already installed. All you have to do is hit their learn button when the app tells you to. My house is on the large size and I've installed light switches 2 floors away. Each Z-wave device has the potential to be a gateway in the network. I've had lots of problems with their Co2 detectors. Junk IMO.

Their national customer service is terrible, that's why I go through my local guys. I now call them up when I have a problem and get much better results.

I wouldn't recommend Logitech to an enemy. I don't know the model number, but the grey $50 or so remote controls are junk. Had 4 out of 5 go bad on me. Same goes for that $300 Logitech remote with hub I bought last year that is now wasting away in my cabinet. It's smartphone interface was a bad joke or something. Besides who wants to plug in 2 devices just to have one remote? I researched SmartThings and it's system seems like it's behind the ADT system.
I know this is an old thread but I have ADT Pulse and SmartThings both installed at the house so I thought I could offer up both sides. SmartThings is significantly more configurable. It really isn't even close. If ADT Pulse is enough for you that's great, but the two capture very different purposes. SmartThings isn't behind any system in terms of Home Automation that doesn't cost several thousand dollars. It is unequivocally the market leader in this space. It isn't until you step up to a Control4 or Crestron system that you start to get some competition.

I don't do any Home Automation through ADT Pulse because it is so limited. They promised IFTTT integration ages ago and it never happened. Something as simple as A or B gets home, turn off alarm, it can't even do. I have to manually walk over to the device or open up the very slow Android app to disarm like it is the year 2001.

Conversely, SmartThings isn't stable enough to roll a security system through. It can be done, many do, and it can even be connected to an ADT service called ADT Canopy that supposedly calls the police, fire department, etc, but SmartThings has a little ways to go yet as far as stability. Granted, it has come a long, long way, from even a year ago, and it's getting close probably, but not quite there. When my ADT contract ends, I'll strongly consider getting rid of it and porting things over to SmartThings.

Last edited by Maverick0984; 12-01-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Maverick0984 is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hey guys, i have a question...i've had ADT pulse for a few years and I'm just starting to really get into the automation side...i have the wireless honeywell door and window sensors. i also have an echo dot and a smartthings hub on order...the question is, can i integrate the existing door and window sensors with the smart things hub? i believe the honeywell sensors use the zwave protocol, is that a good indication that they MIGHT work with the smart things hub?
rrobic3 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
rexb610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have ADT Pulse as well. I'm in my 2nd year of contract so thinking of other options out there once my contract is up. But I picked up ADT Pulse because its one of the few systems that will still protect my home (doors/windows) even with power outage, yes I'll lose all home automation and cameras, but home will still be secured (house doors and all windows came pre-wired). I just talked to ADT tech and mentioned to me that Echo is definitely coming to Pulse. If that's the case that will be awesome!
rexb610 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Member
 
spridell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For you guys that have ADT Pulse have you had any problems adding devices recently?

When I go to add a device on the webpage on my computer it no longer gives me the screen showing which device I want to add.

It goes right into "z-wave searching mode" without me even choosing anything.
spridell is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 01-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Member
 
snowboardheathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spridell View Post
For you guys that have ADT Pulse have you had any problems adding devices recently?

When I go to add a device on the webpage on my computer it no longer gives me the screen showing which device I want to add.

It goes right into "z-wave searching mode" without me even choosing anything.
I have ADT and have tried to add in my door locks and it does the same thing. No Zwave found. I even tried putting the lock right next to the ADT router with no luck. All ADT told me ( I even paid an installer to come out) was that he didn't know and he supposed it wasn't a supported device.

I haven't tried with anything else.

I have ADT simply because I've been with them so long. But I personally don't like their app and how to view camera's etc. I've even tried to hook my cameras up via my synology nas, but unfortunately the cameras don't seem to work outside of PULSE.
snowboardheathen is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 11-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know this is a really old post, but wonder if I can use it as a springboard to a gripe about ADT Pulse, and its slow growth to add additional features...

I was a very early adopter of ADT Pulse, and have had it in the house for quite a while. Every light in the house is connected to a GE/Jasco Z-Wave wall switch, dimmer, or lamp module. I have about 36 Z-Wave devices connected to the network. Over time, I've developed dozens of automations and schedules. The house is very automated -- but only when it comes to alarm system events.

As examples:

* When we come in the house and the alarm's set, the lights in the hallway near the keypad come on automatically.

* If the front porch camera detects motion, it turns on the porch light for 10 minutes and records a clip.

* When we set the alarm to go to bed at night, it runs an automation that lights the path to the bedroom, sets back the thermostat, turns off all the other lights in the house, then 30 minutes later turns off the bedroom lights, too.

* When the fire alarm is activated, the HVAC and all ceiling fans get turned off and every light in the house comes on.

* If there's a burglar alarm, every light in the house comes on, every camera records a clip, and I get a text.

But what's missing, though, is the ability to manually trigger things without pulling out a phone or computer. I'd love trigger buttons in the house that could set scenes. Seems like such a basic thing for a home automation system, but it's beyond the capability of the ADT Pulse so far as I've found.

ADT Pulse does allow for a very limited number of modes (8, of which only 4 can be renamed), and through automations these modes can be used to create scenes. However, there's no way to trigger them with a switch or voice command. It might work for some, but I don't want to fish out my phone and log into the ADT Pulse app to set the lights in every room I'm entering.

I've purchased several things, thinking they'd be my solution to expand what the ADT Pulse can do.

My first expansion was to add a few GE 45631 Wireless Keypads. These can be added to the ADT Pulse's network as slave controllers. They can't be used to set modes in the ADT Pulse itself, but can talk directly to the Z-Wave switches and set scenes that have been configured on the slave controller itself. However, these controllers have a serious limitation for larger networks. They won't recognize devices above a certain device ID. (I want to say it's 32.) Any device number above that won't program into it, and can't be controlled. This becomes a big problem when your network exceeds 32 devices, and then even more so when you have devices that stop responding and need to removed and re-added to the network. When they're re-added, they get a new ID, and the lower IDs are never re-used. So I'm to the point now where I have to physically move around my earliest light switches to the locations I still want to control with these wall-mounted controllers. That gets old.

I recently purchased an Amazon Echo when I read about its new ADT skill. What a disappointment that interface is! It's not integrated as part of Alexa's Smart Home solution, so you still can't create scenes or scripts. You need to give one awkwardly-phrased verbal command at a time. I swear, it takes me half a dozen tries every time to turn on the ceiling fan in the family room. And a real oversight in the interface is the inability to select an ADT mode through the Alexa skill. If it's out there, I haven't found the phrase for "Alexa, ask ADT to set the mode to Watch TV" or "Alexa, ask ADT to set mode bedtime."

When I read about the Harmony hub and remote, I thought maybe it would provide a better interface to the Echo. Its Alexa skill seemed to provide more options. But alas, that hasn't panned out either. I set it up as a slave to the ADT Pulse, and painstakingly mapped all the switches and devices in Harmony. I haven't spent enough time with it, and need to work on it some more, but still haven't gotten to the point where a simple, "Alexa, watch TV" turns on the TV and sets all the lights in the room to a watch TV scene.

ADT Pulse's IFTTT was promised quite some time ago, but still hasn't materialized. When/if it does, I can look at de-coupling my home automation and home security and get a hub that will actually do what I want.

Is anyone still reading this tome? My bottom line question, I guess, is has anyone found a solution to this? A way to have button-or-voice-triggered scenes AND ADT alarm events both controlling the same devices?
Dave Cass is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
rexb610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cass View Post
I know this is a really old post, but wonder if I can use it as a springboard to a gripe about ADT Pulse, and its slow growth to add additional features...

I was a very early adopter of ADT Pulse, and have had it in the house for quite a while. Every light in the house is connected to a GE/Jasco Z-Wave wall switch, dimmer, or lamp module. I have about 36 Z-Wave devices connected to the network. Over time, I've developed dozens of automations and schedules. The house is very automated -- but only when it comes to alarm system events.

As examples:

* When we come in the house and the alarm's set, the lights in the hallway near the keypad come on automatically.

* If the front porch camera detects motion, it turns on the porch light for 10 minutes and records a clip.

* When we set the alarm to go to bed at night, it runs an automation that lights the path to the bedroom, sets back the thermostat, turns off all the other lights in the house, then 30 minutes later turns off the bedroom lights, too.

* When the fire alarm is activated, the HVAC and all ceiling fans get turned off and every light in the house comes on.

* If there's a burglar alarm, every light in the house comes on, every camera records a clip, and I get a text.

But what's missing, though, is the ability to manually trigger things without pulling out a phone or computer. I'd love trigger buttons in the house that could set scenes. Seems like such a basic thing for a home automation system, but it's beyond the capability of the ADT Pulse so far as I've found.

ADT Pulse does allow for a very limited number of modes (8, of which only 4 can be renamed), and through automations these modes can be used to create scenes. However, there's no way to trigger them with a switch or voice command. It might work for some, but I don't want to fish out my phone and log into the ADT Pulse app to set the lights in every room I'm entering.

I've purchased several things, thinking they'd be my solution to expand what the ADT Pulse can do.

My first expansion was to add a few GE 45631 Wireless Keypads. These can be added to the ADT Pulse's network as slave controllers. They can't be used to set modes in the ADT Pulse itself, but can talk directly to the Z-Wave switches and set scenes that have been configured on the slave controller itself. However, these controllers have a serious limitation for larger networks. They won't recognize devices above a certain device ID. (I want to say it's 32.) Any device number above that won't program into it, and can't be controlled. This becomes a big problem when your network exceeds 32 devices, and then even more so when you have devices that stop responding and need to removed and re-added to the network. When they're re-added, they get a new ID, and the lower IDs are never re-used. So I'm to the point now where I have to physically move around my earliest light switches to the locations I still want to control with these wall-mounted controllers. That gets old.

I recently purchased an Amazon Echo when I read about its new ADT skill. What a disappointment that interface is! It's not integrated as part of Alexa's Smart Home solution, so you still can't create scenes or scripts. You need to give one awkwardly-phrased verbal command at a time. I swear, it takes me half a dozen tries every time to turn on the ceiling fan in the family room. And a real oversight in the interface is the inability to select an ADT mode through the Alexa skill. If it's out there, I haven't found the phrase for "Alexa, ask ADT to set the mode to Watch TV" or "Alexa, ask ADT to set mode bedtime."

When I read about the Harmony hub and remote, I thought maybe it would provide a better interface to the Echo. Its Alexa skill seemed to provide more options. But alas, that hasn't panned out either. I set it up as a slave to the ADT Pulse, and painstakingly mapped all the switches and devices in Harmony. I haven't spent enough time with it, and need to work on it some more, but still haven't gotten to the point where a simple, "Alexa, watch TV" turns on the TV and sets all the lights in the room to a watch TV scene.

ADT Pulse's IFTTT was promised quite some time ago, but still hasn't materialized. When/if it does, I can look at de-coupling my home automation and home security and get a hub that will actually do what I want.

Is anyone still reading this tome? My bottom line question, I guess, is has anyone found a solution to this? A way to have button-or-voice-triggered scenes AND ADT alarm events both controlling the same devices?
I'm on ADT Pulse and have Harmony Elite Hub and Alexa. I agree the modes don't work and you have to add "ask ADT" after Alexa to command lights. It was a pain at first but overtime me and my household got used to it. I'm also able to ask Alexa to watch TV, change channels, etc but that's through the Harmony Hub straight to Alexa/Echo system. I agree ADT pulse is limited but so far works great for what it does.


With my 2 year contract done and asked to be just on a month to month deal until I get the new controller Konnected (from Kickstarter). My plan is to use Konnected to re-use my existing pre-wired sensors all over my house and transfer over all my z-wave devices (light switches/dimmers/garage door opener) to Smarthings. One of the main reasons I went with ADT initially was the existing wired sensors, now that I can re-use them I'm opting out of ADT's monthly payment plan.
rexb610 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 01-17-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smoothtlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Is ADT Pulse Z-Wave + certified? I haven't checked but + is a significant refinement than pre + devices.
smoothtlk is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Member
 
mod220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
about to buy a c4 system, but also looking at ADT Pulse. Curious if these will be complimentary or competing? I want to make sure all the homes technology (AV, light switches, etc) are compatible with each and not have any issues?
mod220 is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 8,499
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
xfinity is pretty cool and far less false alarms than adt in my area.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
torii is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Automation

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off