Vantage Equinox license card not recognized - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Vantage Equinox license card not recognized

I have a Vantage Infusion home automation system.
I have version 3.4 of the programming software, (I believe 3.6 is latest, but 3.4 is all I have) and I maintain my own configuration, getting access to the programming software was part of my arrangement with the installer.

I bought the Vantage app from the Apple store for an outrageous $200, found it pretty useless, and a year later the app was free, about the same time Vantage released the Equinox app and panels, which again required a license per Equinox station or app.
I always keep an eye on eBay for Vantage equipment, I found a great deal and bought an EQ-APP-X unlimited license, the SD card has been sitting in my desk for more than a year.

Today I finally got around to opening the controller and installing the SD card, but the controller reports no SD card present.
I put the old card back, and SD card ok.
I put the EQ-APP-X SD card in my PC, and an empty drive shows up, so the card is reading.
The installation instructions are vague in the typical Vantage way, and are of no use beyond stating to install the license.
I have version 1 of the programming manual, and it does not mention anything about Equinox.

Can anybody give me some advice on how to get the system to recognize the card and the Equinox license?

Thanks

Last edited by ptr727; 08-28-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Equinox

Try downloading the programming to the memory card.
There may also be a bunch of relabeling of your item names in the programming, some passwords, etc.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post
I have a Vantage Infusion home automation system.
I have version 3.4 of the programming software, (I believe 3.6 is latest, but 3.4 is all I have) and I maintain my own configuration, getting access to the programming software was part of my arrangement with the installer.

I bought the Vantage app from the Apple store for an outrageous $200, found it pretty useless, and a year later the app was free, about the same time Vantage released the Equinox app and panels, which again required a license per Equinox station or app.
I always keep an eye on eBay for Vantage equipment, I found a great deal and bought an EQ-APP-X unlimited license, the SD card has been sitting in my desk for more than a year.

Today I finally got around to opening the controller and installing the SD card, but the controller reports no SD card present.
I put the old card back, and SD card ok
I put the EQ-APP-X SD card in my PC, and an empty drive shows up, so the card is reading.
The installation instructions are vague in the typical Vantage way, and are of no use beyond stating to install the license.
I have version 1 of the programming manual, and it does not mention anything about Equinox.

Can anybody give me some advice on how to get the system to recognize the card and the Equinox license?

Thanks
No SD card present could be a formatting issue. An empty drive could mean it's empty. Are you sure something is on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-29-2016, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I replaced the current SD card with the Equinox license card, did a full update, including write to SD card, this is where I got the error or no card present.
When I ran diagnostics, the controller reports there is no SD card present, replace the old card, and the contents show fine in diagnostics.

If I place the SD card in my PC card reader, an empty drive shows up.
The SD card is an adapter for a microSD card with a microSD card installed.

As I am not familiar with the Equinox license SD cards, I do not know if the card is supposed to contain anything?
I do not know how Vantage would create a licensing scheme that does not allow for simply copying content of the SD card.
I don't want to format the SD card in case there is a license on it, maybe the allocated partition is smaller than the storage capacity and the license is "hidden".

Worst case I got scammed with a bad license card, I really should have installed this as soon as I bought it
post #5 of 14 Old 08-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I replaced the current SD card with the Equinox license card, did a full update, including write to SD card, this is where I got the error or no card present.
When I ran diagnostics, the controller reports there is no SD card present, replace the old card, and the contents show fine in diagnostics.

If I place the SD card in my PC card reader, an empty drive shows up.
The SD card is an adapter for a microSD card with a microSD card installed.

As I am not familiar with the Equinox license SD cards, I do not know if the card is supposed to contain anything?
I do not know how Vantage would create a licensing scheme that does not allow for simply copying content of the SD card.
I don't want to format the SD card in case there is a license on it, maybe the allocated partition is smaller than the storage capacity and the license is "hidden".

Worst case I got scammed with a bad license card, I really should have installed this as soon as I bought it

Did you check to see what the 'working' card looks like in the PC? I think normal license protection would allow you to see data on the card. It would be a lot of work to hide it instead of just deploying proper license protection to start. Kingston uses software on some of their high-end USB sticks to hide folder structure until a proper password is entered. I seriously doubt you have a similar situation.

My money would be on formatting issues followed closely by ebay scam.

I'd try to email the company to see what they say.

Good luck with your situation.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-29-2016, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I am hoping somebody with an Equinox SD card can tell me what is supposed to be on the card, that way I would know for certain if I have a bad card?
post #7 of 14 Old 08-30-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I am hoping somebody with an Equinox SD card can tell me what is supposed to be on the card, that way I would know for certain if I have a bad card?
I doubt they will tell you there's shows up empty.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCard View Post
I doubt they will tell you there's shows up empty.
Speculation, until somebody confirms what is on a working card, cough, Jack
post #9 of 14 Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Speculation, until somebody confirms what is on a working card, cough, Jack
That it is. But at least it was speculation from a software developer who's done deployment packages. Also ran a lot of cracked/hacked software in my day. Which is what it sounds like you bought off eBay. If you're techie enough, means exist that offer this type of software for free.

My experience with hacked software is always 50/50 at best. And yes, it's best to run it right away because the software companies are always looking for their pirated content on the net as well and will change things up if the option exists.

Anyways, I figured it couldn't hurt to bump the thread for you. Personally, I wouldn't have held out much hope once the controller didn't recognize the card.

Last edited by OmegaCard; 08-30-2016 at 12:35 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM

Did you download the programming to the Equinox memory card?

Did you input a password in the dc programming?

Then download the programming to the memory card again.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-31-2016, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcojack View Post
Did you download the programming to the Equinox memory card?

Did you input a password in the dc programming?

Then download the programming to the memory card again.
Equinox user and admin password already set.
Download to card reports missing card.
Diagnostics reports no card.
PC shows card is empty, did not try writing to card from PC, did not want to "disturb" card.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-01-2016, 09:09 AM

We are dealers, local to your area, and can help you.
PM me if you are interested and we can send you a proposal.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-04-2016, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I bought a 5 user license SD card, EQ-APP-5, recognized by the controller.

The original SD card is 2GB, works,
The EQ-APP-5 5 user license is 2GB, works.
The EQ-APP-X unlimited license is 4GB, does not work in controller, works in PC.

I tested a vanilla Kingston 4GB card, formatted FAT in Windows, works, so it is not a 4GB issue.
The EQ-APP-X 4GB card has a slightly weird partition structure, and some unused space at the end of the drive.
The EQ-APP-5 and EQ-APP-X were formatted using Linux mkdosfs, at least that is what the partition structure reports.

I wonder if the v3.4 controller firmware version I have has a problem with the EQ-APP-X disk structure?
Still waiting to get the v3.6 software from my original installer.

As for the licensing, looks like there is a block of data written at the end of the disk, just written raw, no reference to the data in the partition or FAT structures.
The EQ-APP-5 and EQ-APP-X data blocks look very similar, with a few differences, presumable the license count.
If I had another card of the same license type to compare with, I would be able to tell if all SD cards are the same, or if each SD card has a unique license.
If anybody has a EQ-APP-5 or EQ-APP-X SD card, and are willing to share a disk image with me, please PM me.

Jack, thanks for the offer to help for $, if I get stuck I'll contact you.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-27-2020, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Anyone can help with newer version of design center , newer than 3.1.30 ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page