stay away from Control4 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #61 of 364 Old 11-29-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
As I replied to you in the other thread, to be a c4 dealer you need a history of a business in the industry, you need a store/showroom and you need a volume of sales. You can try to get freelance/part time work with a local dealer and go get training then get access to software, but C4 is not giving away access/dealerships that easily to anyone who applies.

And yes, I had an original dealer, it was 50/50 - did some things fine on the networking side but did not have a lot of Control4 programming skills. And since I was new I did not have strength or knowledge of Composer HE. I switched my dealer of record (free and easy to do online) to a remote dealer, now only do they do a better job programming but for free took some time to give me a tutorial of Composer HE so I could do programming on my own. Every so often I may get stuck or just lack of time and pay my dealer to program stuff, but usually I can hack it myself and/or post on www.c4forums.com and get free help.
I believe this is why allot of people are going with DIY systems and adding compatible devices and using Homekit and hubs like Wink and Smart things. You can pretty much build it yourself and expand it whenever you want. Also the cost, from what I gather Control4 can be very expensive depending on how large and complex it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 364 Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
I believe this is why allot of people are going with DIY systems and adding compatible devices and using Homekit and hubs like Wink and Smart things. You can pretty much build it yourself and expand it whenever you want. Also the cost, from what I gather Control4 can be very expensive depending on how large and complex it is.
that is like saying I did not like my plumber so I am just going to dig a hole in the yard and not use indoor plumbing. Everyone has different needs. And some dealers/installers/contractors are good, others arent. Goes with mechanics, plumbers, electricians and custom electronics/automation/installation types.

My automation needs (not control, but automation) could not be filled by Homekit and its 10's of items or Wink or Smart Things with their limited roster of compatible items. Over the counter/big box store hubs lack really good audio/video support and they lack in depth automation and also the 1 app experience. For some that is fine and I would suggest (and have suggested) these products. In a past life I had Harmony remotes and Hue bulbs and other devices but as my needs (and house) grew these were no longer good options. so they are a solution for some, but they are not a solution for everyone which is why you have C4, Crestron, Savant, Elan, etc.
ahard likes this.
post #63 of 364 Old 11-30-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
As EZ stated, the DIY and Control4 type systems aren't really comparable. I'm a DIYer, but I understand the attractiveness of Control4, Crestron, etc. and what they offer which a DIY system doesn't. And Control4, which is a public company, has seen it's revenues and profits grow at a pretty healthy clip over the past couple of years, so if anything they maybe be benefitting from people who get introduced to automation through DIY but then want something professional (though my guess is it's just more about a healthy economy and housing market).
ahard and ezlotogura like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 364 Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The good thing is that there is something for everyone. If you can't afford the integrator based solutions, there are DIY hubs that will provided the majority of the general population with a suitable solution. We can thank Amazon, Google, Apple and Samsung for making the connected home more accessible to a broader group of people; for people that want to see the smart home/connected home grow, that is a good thing.
ezlotogura likes this.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #65 of 364 Old 11-30-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
that is like saying I did not like my plumber so I am just going to dig a hole in the yard and not use indoor plumbing. Everyone has different needs. And some dealers/installers/contractors are good, others arent. Goes with mechanics, plumbers, electricians and custom electronics/automation/installation types.

My automation needs (not control, but automation) could not be filled by Homekit and its 10's of items or Wink or Smart Things with their limited roster of compatible items. Over the counter/big box store hubs lack really good audio/video support and they lack in depth automation and also the 1 app experience. For some that is fine and I would suggest (and have suggested) these products. In a past life I had Harmony remotes and Hue bulbs and other devices but as my needs (and house) grew these were no longer good options. so they are a solution for some, but they are not a solution for everyone which is why you have C4, Crestron, Savant, Elan, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
As EZ stated, the DIY and Control4 type systems aren't really comparable. I'm a DIYer, but I understand the attractiveness of Control4, Crestron, etc. and what they offer which a DIY system doesn't. And Control4, which is a public company, has seen it's revenues and profits grow at a pretty healthy clip over the past couple of years, so if anything they maybe be benefitting from people who get introduced to automation through DIY but then want something professional (though my guess is it's just more about a healthy economy and housing market).
For the record I am in no way trying to compare the two and say that a DIY system like I mentioned is just as good as a Control4 or Crestron system. I know that those DIY systems cannot do even a fraction of what a Control4 system can do in terms of integration and automation. But the point I was trying to make was that for people who want a simpler and more affordable solution and don't need all the advanced capabilities that a Control4 system can provide a DIY system is favorable. You don't need a dealer, in most cases you don't need an installer if your a little tech savy, and you can build on to it as your liking. And the main thing would be the $$$. I could compare this to the automobile world. Take two big luxury, powerful sedans. One is a Mercedes S600 (control4) and the other is a Chrysler 300 (DIY system). The 300 would pretty much provide all the luxury and features that the majority of people would need. However, for those who wish to go above and beyond and get the best in luxury and technological features the Mercedes is what they would go for. So in a sense A DIY system with a hub, Google Home or Alexia and Homekit is sort of a poor mans Control4 or Crestron. In most cases it will provide what the vast majority of people require.
post #66 of 364 Old 11-30-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
The good thing is that there is something for everyone. If you can't afford the integrator based solutions, there are DIY hubs that will provided the majority of the general population with a suitable solution. We can thank Amazon, Google, Apple and Samsung for making the connected home more accessible to a broader group of people; for people that want to see the smart home/connected home grow, that is a good thing.
Well said, and that was the point I was trying to imply.
post #67 of 364 Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
For the record I am in no way trying to compare the two and say that a DIY system like I mentioned is just as good as a Control4 or Crestron system. I know that those DIY systems cannot do even a fraction of what a Control4 system can do in terms of integration and automation. But the point I was trying to make was that for people who want a simpler and more affordable solution and don't need all the advanced capabilities that a Control4 system can provide a DIY system is favorable. You don't need a dealer, in most cases you don't need an installer if your a little tech savy, and you can build on to it as your liking. And the main thing would be the $$$. I could compare this to the automobile world. Take two big luxury, powerful sedans. One is a Mercedes S600 (control4) and the other is a Chrysler 300 (DIY system). The 300 would pretty much provide all the luxury and features that the majority of people would need. However, for those who wish to go above and beyond and get the best in luxury and technological features the Mercedes is what they would go for. So in a sense A DIY system with a hub, Google Home or Alexia and Homekit is sort of a poor mans Control4 or Crestron. In most cases it will provide what the vast majority of people require.
Still there is the difference between control and automation.
post #68 of 364 Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Still there is the difference between control and automation.

Could you give me an example of the major difference between control and automation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #69 of 364 Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Could you give me an example of the major difference between control and automation.

Control, ooh look I can turn this light switch on with this app on my phone, and I can stream music with that app, and adjust the temperature with another app, and look at the video cameras with another, all while sitting on my sofa.

So I want to watch a movie and am feeling lazy. I'll open the nest app and adjust the heat, I'll open the hue app and adjust the lights, I'll open the august app and check I locked the front door. Then I start with the TV

Automation.
I press Watch Netflix, on the Control4 remote. This then adjusts the lights, the heat, checks the doors are locked etc, all from that one action.

Another example.
I leave my home. I set the alarm to armed away or in my case tap the front door light switch off three times.

All lights in the house are switched off as are TV and music. A mock occupancy program is enabled that adjusts all lights on the home on and off in line with usual use patterns.

All that from three taps of a light switch.

And another regularly used.

There is a night button on a keypad near the bedrooms. Press it and all lights in the vicinity dim to 10%. Music and Tvs in the bedrooms go off. Press a second time and all lights go off.

So at bedtime this sets a soporific mood quickly and in the middle of the night this allows sufficient light in sufficient rooms for checking in on kids or kids taking a trip to the bathroom.
guinness2 likes this.

Last edited by SMHarman; 12-01-2017 at 09:54 AM.
post #70 of 364 Old 12-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Control, ooh look I can turn this light switch on with this app on my phone, and I can stream music with that app, and adjust the temperature with another app, and look at the video cameras with another, all while sitting on my sofa.

So I want to watch a movie and am feeling lazy. I'll open the nest app and adjust the heat, I'll open the hue app and adjust the lights, I'll open the august app and check I locked the front door. Then I start with the TV

Automation.
I press Watch Netflix, on the Control4 remote. This then adjusts the lights, the heat, checks the doors are locked etc, all from that one action.

Another example.
I leave my home. I set the alarm to armed away or in my case tap the front door light switch off three times.

All lights in the house are switched off as are TV and music. A mock occupancy program is enabled that adjusts all lights on the home on and off in line with usual use patterns.

There is a night button on a keypad near the bedrooms. Press it and all lights in the vicinity dim to 10%. Music and Tvs in the bedrooms go off. Press a second time and all lights go off.

So at bedtime this sets a soporific mood quickly and in the middle of the night this allows sufficient light in sufficient rooms for checking in on kids or kids taking a trip to the bathroom.
This correct. But I at a base level, the so-called DIY hubs do allow for automation and not just control. I don't want anyone to read this thread and get the impression that they don't. Now, will a DIY hub automate all of the items that a integrator based system can? Certainly not. And I'm not trying to make that case. But for what most Americans would want to automate: lights, HVAC, garage door, door locks, a DIY hub will do those things.

I can only speak for the hub that I use, but I also have mock occupancy scenes (I read the Control4 blog) that I've created for when I leave to go on vacation. I tell Alexa or Google Home to turn on Vacation and all the lights will turn off, the HVAC will be set to the appropriate temp and the av system will turn off. After 5 minutes the garage door will close and all motion sensors will be set so that if there is movement in the house every light will turn on and the alarm will sound.

I can tell Alexa or Google Home to turn on the movie and my lights will turn off, the garage door will close, the mud room door will lock, the avr will switch inputs, the blu-ray player door will open and the projector will turn on. If I wanted, I could include my blinds in that automation so that they close when I give that command.

I also have a Good night scene, where I can tell Alexa or Google to turn on Good night and the family room lights, av system and kitchen lights will turn off while the master bedroom and bathroom lights turn on as well as the master bedroom tv. After 15 minutes the motion sensors are set so that if I get up in the middle of the night to use the master bathroom, the light in the master bathroom water-closet will turn on; the same thing happens for the bedrooms at the front of the house.

I have a Good morning scene that I only use on Saturdays, where I turn over to my night stand and I say to Alexa, turn on Good Morning and the lights in the kitchen turn on, the tv in the family room turns on changes to my favorite station and the master bathroom lights turn on.

I also have a Welcome Home scene where on Mon-Fri when I enter a the geofence I've established near my home, the av system in the family room turns on, the garage door opens, certain lights in the house turn on or dim to a particular percentage and the hvac turns on to appropriate temp. On the weekends, whenever I enter the geofence I have it set so that only the garage door opens; no lights turn on. During this time of the year, when I enter the geofence during the work week, my Christmas tree lights also turn on when the other lights turn on. I used to have it set so that when I entered my code on the door lock the Christmas tree lights turned on. On the weekends, the Christmas Tree lights turn on when the sun sets.

My outdoor lights turn on when the sunsets and they turn off when the sunrises.

I have an automation where I can tell Alexa or Google Home to turn on Chromecast or the Amazon Fire Stick and the avr will go to the correct input. I can also ask either assistant to watch Stranger Things on Netflix and Stranger Things will start to play.

I also have automated my ceilings fans. I have a temperature sensor in each room. I can designate a temp for each room so that when let's say the master bedroom reaches 78 degrees, the ceiling fan will turn on to whatever speed I've designated (I like medium for the master). When the temp in the master reaches 76 the ceiling fan turns off. I can also tell Alexa to turn on the ceiling fan and it will turn on.

I never open a single app to do any of these things when I'm home. No need to. If I wanted I could buy a wall mounted tablet-like controller that the company that makes my hub sells and use that to kickoff scenes. But I use voice exclusively to kickoff scenes.

XBL: Stunt1on1

Last edited by ahard; 12-01-2017 at 12:34 PM.
post #71 of 364 Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Then you sir are the exception.

Most consumers can't program a universal remote. This thread on this forum is quite a self selecting bunch.
post #72 of 364 Old 12-02-2017, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then you sir are the exception.

Most consumers can't program a universal remote. This thread on this forum is quite a self selecting bunch.
How right you are. But I'd say that we're making progress when one of the tech writers for the Wall Street Journal talks about using a geofence to turn on lights & open the garage door in his home, which surprisingly happened several months back in one of his articles. More people that don't frequent forums like this one will read that article & others like it & likely become interested in connecting their homes.
post #73 of 364 Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm a working pro (master electrician) who focuses on lighting automation side of things and have been doing this stuff for more than 10 years so perhaps I can shed some light on things. First things first, lets get it out of the way: The dealer installed products are still much better than any consumer product out there. They look better, they function better, and they are a status symbol of sorts. Much like buying a $120k Mercedes might not make sense for the average consumer however, unless you can afford the initial cost, maintenance cost, and the complete replacement part in 5-10 years, then you probably shouldn't own one of these systems.

Don't forget that lighting automation has been around since the 80's. The wealthy areas in every major city have had some form of automation be it the original Lutron Homeworks, LightTouch, Vantage, and custom AV systems for many years and those people are the same people who buy a $120k car knowing full well they will never ever touch anything under the hood. It's really in the last 5 years or so that technology has trickled down to the average consumer.

Some big companies like Lutron get it. They have products for the 1%ers as well as those who want to spend $60. Unfortunately that's not true for many big name AV companies. The prevalence of all the recent DIY consumer AV products has done very little to loosen the grip of the dealer installs because again, their target audience is that sweet 1%er money and they think they can get that and if anything, they are even tightening their grip more and are putting extra pressure on their own dealers to sell more or get kicked out. They are circling the wagons and really are trying to get dealers who are fully invested in their product and their product alone and are trying to get into everything -lighting, shades, AV, etc.

This is very bad because it means less support and more pressure to buy new systems, even if yours works perfectly fine. I worked with one dealer install lighting automation company back when they were a small and hardworking American company and I believed in their product. At the time, they were happy to take on new dealers. They were bought by a bigger foreign company a few years ago. We focused more on service than sales so we could fix all the electrical issues (shorts in light fixtures kill dimmers and modules) as well and maintained many systems that we never even installed. Recently without notice, we got kicked off as dealers and completely cut off from buying any more parts. When we asked why, they said it was because we had not spent as much money with them in the last 3 years mostly because we don't work on new installs as much as we used to. Service was not a concern to them- only growth.

That means that even if you do have the money and you do have a good dealer that you like, all it takes is for them is to lose their annual sales requirements and you won't even have your own dealer anymore! Or worse, sometimes a company just goes out of business like LightTouch did when Savant bought them. Those people now have to scramble on Ebay to find parts and pray there is someone in their city who still has the old software.

So the moral of the story: If you want a dealer install system, expect that you will always be a hostage to a dealer. I also suggest going with the best known name so in case something happens to your dealer, you can find another one easily. A lot of the smaller companies may have good products but have limited access.

I may be biased being an electrician first, but I really think that critical aspects of a house like lighting and HVAC should be decoupled from the AV so even if your AV system goes out of fashion or has issues, you can still turn on the lights. As such, I have found Lutron's products to be the best because they only do one thing and do it right. Their DIY stuff is also better than any out there.
SMHarman likes this.

Last edited by Sparkycoog; 12-02-2017 at 07:02 AM.
post #74 of 364 Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Automation.

Another example.

Ok makes sense. Yes In the end a control4 system is superior to a DIY system. You can pretty much tailor it to your lifestyle in any way. But the only argument that I was trying to make was that for the majority of the people and for people who cannot afford a control4 system, a DIY system can be pretty good and look after allot of your needs. Especially with how alexia and google home ties in everything now. And i think we all have to admit that this is just the beginning.

SMHarman likes this.
post #75 of 364 Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Ok makes sense. Yes In the end a control4 system is superior to a DIY system. You can pretty much tailor it to your lifestyle in any way. But the only argument that I was trying to make was that for the majority of the people and for people who cannot afford a control4 system, a DIY system can be pretty good and look after allot of your needs. Especially with how alexia and google home ties in everything now. And i think we all have to admit that this is just the beginning.

Absolutely. The pro install stuff is better IF you can afford it, but there have been three big game changers that give a lot of power to DIYers as well now.

1. Smart Phones/ tablets. Prior to smart phones, a low res in wall touch screen from a dealer install would cost you $2000 and then be obsolete after 4 years.
2. "The cloud". Moving the heavy duty work and integration from an expensive processor in the house to the cloud made things pretty cheap and easy for DIYers...of course, if your internet goes, you're SOL.
3. Voice assistants. Even some pro installs haven't caught up to it yet (*cough* Vantage)
post #76 of 364 Old 12-03-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkycoog View Post
Absolutely. The pro install stuff is better IF you can afford it, but there have been three big game changers that give a lot of power to DIYers as well now.

1. Smart Phones/ tablets. Prior to smart phones, a low res in wall touch screen from a dealer install would cost you $2000 and then be obsolete after 4 years.
2. "The cloud". Moving the heavy duty work and integration from an expensive processor in the house to the cloud made things pretty cheap and easy for DIYers...of course, if your internet goes, you're SOL.
3. Voice assistants. Even some pro installs haven't caught up to it yet (*cough* Vantage)
1. Most vendors keep their screens working with current os for 7+ years. More than you can say for Apple. Also you choose to upgrade. You can be running a 10 year old screen on a 3 year old OS.

2. Yeah, poof. And remote locations (boats 1% ers I know) and houses with choppy Internet in much of the US.

3. And look how one is leveraged by the other. Control4 built an Alexa skill and left the voice hardware and lifting to Amazon.

Last edited by SMHarman; 12-03-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #77 of 364 Old 12-03-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

It depends on what DIY system you are speaking of. All of the "Master Controller" systems exceed the capability of Control4 systems both in terms of configurability and in customization and in scope of capability. If you are only referencing "hub" DIY systems, then yes, they are limited but have great capability for the initial investment.
post #78 of 364 Old 12-03-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
It depends on what DIY system you are speaking of. All of the "Master Controller" systems exceed the capability of Control4 systems both in terms of configurability and in customization and in scope of capability. If you are only referencing "hub" DIY systems, then yes, they are limited.
In customization yes, but at a huge premium. A big part of C4 speed to deploy is the less configurable GUI. But then you have test driven the GUI and like iOS or appleOS or W10 or Android it has its pros and cons.

Configurability and capabilites you are clutching at straw there.
post #79 of 364 Old 12-03-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In customization yes, but at a huge premium. A big part of C4 speed to deploy is the less configurable GUI. But then you have test driven the GUI and like iOS or appleOS or W10 or Android it has its pros and cons.

Configurability and capabilites you are clutching at straw there.
Yes, more configurable and more capable....this is definitely a true statement.
post #80 of 364 Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, more configurable and more capable....this is definitely a true statement.
Huh, okay then we can all have our opinions. Factually it will run any home capably

Custom buttons and other configuration options are also there since you last looked. Part of 2.9 and further embedded into 2.10.

What os version did you last take a look at?

What configuration or capability os it missing?
post #81 of 364 Old 12-11-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not as familiar with 2.10 capability.
Can the integrator change button color / opacity / layering based on state of a integrator defined variable for dynamic state updates?
Swap images dynamically like fan art changing in the background for a playing song or movie?
Random fanart like for a photo album? Screen saver with random pictures of family?
Are integrator state variables even possible?

These are technical details that start to form the user experience. We always found C4 to be lacking in the fluidity of the UI. It was always pretty sterile. 90's look and feel.
Did 2.10 address some / all of these capabilities? Would love to see a video of a well designed UI that leverages the new capability. If you have a link, please provide.

When you say "it will run any home capably", certainly that is a qualitative position. Some would say a Smarthings Hub can do the same. Surely C4 is better than that and I would say myServer is another whole level beyond C4 (at least prior to 2.10).
post #82 of 364 Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I'm not sure how far C4 lets you go, but with CQC it's way beyond just customizing the look of standard visual elements. You can really create full on touch screen *applications*, not just this page, that page. And you can do that with no coding or copying and pasting commands and so forth, it's all point and click. And they can be extremely visually rich. Our touch screen development system is very powerful.

We can also generate a standard set of interface for smaller installs, but that is built on top of our interface system, so it has access to all of the power it provides.

Since we are software based, the issue of 'consumer grade' is a different issue. The hardware can be completely commercial grade stuff, and we encourage that definitely. You then layer our software over that quality hardware, and you have a solid, very flexible system. One nice thing is that modern PC hardware is more than enough. So you can get into a fairly basic system, and then up-sell over time without ever having to force them up to a new automation controller, as might be the case with a hardware based system.

The two layers complement each other nicely, and they keep the automation system and the hardware separate, which has a lot of advantages over an all in one system.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #83 of 364 Old 12-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not as familiar with 2.10 capability.
Can the integrator change button color / opacity / layering based on state of a integrator defined variable for dynamic state updates?
Swap images dynamically like fan art changing in the background for a playing song or movie?
Random fanart like for a photo album? Screen saver with random pictures of family?
Are integrator state variables even possible?

These are technical details that start to form the user experience. We always found C4 to be lacking in the fluidity of the UI. It was always pretty sterile. 90's look and feel.
Did 2.10 address some / all of these capabilities? Would love to see a video of a well designed UI that leverages the new capability. If you have a link, please provide.

When you say "it will run any home capably", certainly that is a qualitative position. Some would say a Smarthings Hub can do the same. Surely C4 is better than that and I would say myServer is another whole level beyond C4 (at least prior to 2.10).
yes that is possible - at least I think based on how you describe it. C4 is moving from Flash to an Android based platform and every update is giving the UI more ability to be customized more than previously. So you can see the roadmap very easily. https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/c4z-emoji/ - 1400 emojis. Experience buttons came into play on 2.9 - https://www.control4.com/press_relea...-opportunities -- C4 has their own free buttons then people create drivers with even more buttons: https://www.chowmainsoft.com/experience-button-suite - the buttons are dynamic so as a state in the project changes, the icon can change. For instance I have a sprinkler head, and the head is in the ground but if my sprinklers are on, the icon is a sprinkler head above ground with water coming out.

These the types of customizations based on current states? I believe there are several drivers to get fanart into your project. Personally I rarely use a screen for video, im usually picking movies while seated on a couch so I use the Kodi interface for movie selection.
SMHarman likes this.
post #84 of 364 Old 12-13-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so I use the Kodi interface for movie selection.
Does C4 have a movie interface? You like Kodi better?
What do you use for Music (local) and streaming as an interface?
post #85 of 364 Old 12-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
C4 has a movie database driver called MyMovies. Kodi has a 3rd party driver that is one of the most popular 3rd party drivers: https://www.chowmainsoft.com/kodi-xb...-for-control4/ - for me, my NAS has about 50 movies and its mostly for my wife, I never do it. She is comfortable launching Kodi and picking her movie. Again its basically done while seated on the couch, not standing by a touchscreen, so the 58'' TV screen is her method of choice. I could create a MyMovies database but I do not see the need for my use case.

for music I use Sonos. Though since sonos decided they did not like the CI channel I'll be moving to native C4 shortly since its getting a bit annoying to keep putting a band-aid on some of the breaks. C4 native offers Pandora, SiriusXM, Deezer, Tidal, TuneIN plus a driver for iTunes integration. Plus Shairbridge which is like Airplay. You can get real crazy and hook an Echo up to a c4 matrix and play music around the house that way as well. You got options.

Great thing about c4, tons of options, so you can customize it for how YOU use the system.
post #86 of 364 Old 12-13-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
C4 has a movie database driver called MyMovies. Kodi has a 3rd party driver that is one of the most popular 3rd party drivers: https://www.chowmainsoft.com/kodi-xb...-for-control4/ - for me, my NAS has about 50 movies and its mostly for my wife, I never do it. She is comfortable launching Kodi and picking her movie. Again its basically done while seated on the couch, not standing by a touchscreen, so the 58'' TV screen is her method of choice. I could create a MyMovies database but I do not see the need for my use case.

for music I use Sonos. Though since sonos decided they did not like the CI channel I'll be moving to native C4 shortly since its getting a bit annoying to keep putting a band-aid on some of the breaks. C4 native offers Pandora, SiriusXM, Deezer, Tidal, TuneIN plus a driver for iTunes integration. Plus Shairbridge which is like Airplay. You can get real crazy and hook an Echo up to a c4 matrix and play music around the house that way as well. You got options.

Great thing about c4, tons of options, so you can customize it for how YOU use the system.
This is a good write up.

I do have the my movies set up but it is so rarely used now. It streams my NAS to a postbox V8 through the C4 interface for selection. That said, I took advantage of Vudu D2D and got my movie collection onto UV / DMA/MA. There are a few stragglers on my movies but Vudu on the Roku is now three key presses away. Watch down select.

Why clutter my NAS with multi gig movie files. And Vudu can download these to Apple and Android on the go. Also recently the DMA > MA made this now seamless on phones and tablets as the ownership rights go to Apple TV and TV on the phone and Google play / you tube.

The next time I go local movie storage would be in a bigger home with a movie theater and a kaleidoscape for uncompressed 4k BD res and uncompressed digital audio but my current use the res of everything streamed is close enough.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SMHarman; 12-13-2017 at 07:47 AM.
post #87 of 364 Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I am going to Chime in here if I may. Like many or probably most of you, I've been a Home Theater hobbyist for many years. I've done many self installs and maintained them all from satellite dishes to home theater projectors to audio systems etc. But, I am now disabled with the most painful chronic pain/neurological brain disease known to modern medicine. The days of my being able to DIY are over because of my illness. I am meeting with a representative in my area for both Savant and Control4. I don't know how much or how little I will spend on any product offered. I just know this, I have enough hobbyist experience to know if and when I'm being suckered into something that is not worth my time or money to welcome into my soon to be newly constructed home. And yet at the same time, because of my disability I can no longer get up and down on my hands and knees nor can I be that DIY guy that once did my own installs and maintained them. Therefore, I am very interested to see what Control4 & Savant offers in terms of components and software. Why? Because I am handicapped and I am disabled. And it looks like these two companies' products will probably be able to help me.

Thanks to all of you for your input in this thread. It is all a very good read.

Happy New Year

Television: Samsung UN65JS9000
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H (Ordered Dec. 9, 2016)
Subwoofer: HSU VTF Subwoofer
Speakers: Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 65, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800, Heos 1 HS2
Digital Video Recorder: Directv 4K DVR
Set Top Box: Apple TV
post #88 of 364 Old 01-01-2018, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post
Why? Because I am handicapped and I am disabled. And it looks like these two companies' products will probably be able to help me.

Thanks to all of you for your input in this thread. It is all a very good read.

Happy New Year
Happy New Year, sorry to hear of your disabilities. Certainly the stability of my C4 system impresses me and with motion and Alexa voice along with tablet and decent (though some say boring) hard remote it should do you right.

I've not experienced Savant so can't give positive or negatives there.

One of the interesting things I noticed over this holidays was how my wife's use of our system has changed. Historically it was all on screen gui. Now music selection is all phone app. That's here change not imposed by anyone. Just her getting to a better way to do things.

Good luck with your dealer and if they plumb it right any remote dealer can help tweak.

A couple of other reads for you.
https://www.control4.com/blog/2015/1...ol-for-a-cause

https://www.cnet.com/news/for-injure...ality-of-life/

Last edited by SMHarman; 01-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
post #89 of 364 Old 01-02-2018, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Happy New Year, sorry to hear of your disabilities. Certainly the stability of my C4 system impresses me and with motion and Alexa voice along with tablet and decent (though some say boring) hard remote it should do you right.

I've not experienced Savant so can't give positive or negatives there.

One of the interesting things I noticed over this holidays was how my wife's use of our system has changed. Historically it was all on screen gui. Now music selection is all phone app. That's here change not imposed by anyone. Just her getting to a better way to do things.

Good luck with your dealer and if they plumb it right any remote dealer can help tweak.

A couple of other reads for you.
https://www.control4.com/blog/2015/1...ol-for-a-cause

https://www.cnet.com/news/for-injure...ality-of-life/

Hey, thanks for the replay. My hope is to keep the cost reasonable. hahaha Imagine that? Reasonably priced A/V.. Does such a Monster actually exist? GRIN, kidding of course.

Television: Samsung UN65JS9000
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H (Ordered Dec. 9, 2016)
Subwoofer: HSU VTF Subwoofer
Speakers: Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 65, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800, Heos 1 HS2
Digital Video Recorder: Directv 4K DVR
Set Top Box: Apple TV
post #90 of 364 Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post
Hey, thanks for the replay. My hope is to keep the cost reasonable. hahaha Imagine that? Reasonably priced A/V.. Does such a Monster actually exist? GRIN, kidding of course.
My favourite for reasonably priced AV is amazon warehouse deals. Other people's returns are my bargains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page