Looking for a camera security system. - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #181 of 191 Old 07-26-2019, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can you post a link to one? So I can look more closely at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 191 Old 07-26-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio3d View Post
The systems look pretty similar (1080p 12v wireless cameras, 1-2 tb HD NVR) My main issue was finding cameras that only needed power (therefore a single cable connector). They all seem to have 2 or 3.
POE cameras only need one wire. All you would need is a patch cord in what ever length you need. www.nellyssecurity.com has some good deals and Great customer support. Their system come will 100' patch cords included.
post #183 of 191 Old 07-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So... again, I was trying to avoid patching all the cameras into a NVR. Hoping for a 12v powered wireless system. Got to be one out there~!?

ron labbe
studio3d.com
stereoscopic imaging
SONY 55X850B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 191 Old 12-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I just found this thread...after I started purchasing my cameras I will add my experience for those wanting a basic camera system.

All I wanted was a camera to monitor my front door. I settled on a popular brand of camera and then started reading Amazon reviews. About half way through a long list of reviews some said just get a Hikvision or a ? So I checked into Hikvision and found it is the largest manufacturer of security cameras in the world (according to them). I checked Costco and two of their popular brands are Swann and Lorex. It turns out those brands are rebranded Hikvision cameras (maybe I am wrong). So I checked Amazon and not much on Hikvision there. I found a good selection of Hikvision stuff at B&H Photo. A lot of their Hikvision is drop shipped from the manufacturer. I saw little or no reviews of Hikvision at B&H or Amazon.

I settled on Hikvision. I wanted to keep it simple as I am doing this myself. I am comfortable with 1080P. I have an available 1080P monitor. I set the B&H filters for 1080P/2MP and TVI which is HD analogue. It requires a double cable (power and signal). I kept the components the same manufacturer because I was guessing there would be fewer compatibility issues.

I purchased a Turbo HD 8-channel HD-TVI DVR. I don't want or need remote access. The simpler I keep this the better for me. I guessed I might find a spot for three or four cameras so I bought 8 channels just in case. It was only about $50 more than 4 channels. I bought the 2 TB hard drive separately because it was cheaper that way.

I bought a single 3.6 MM 82 degree field of view camera and the power supply and cable. I installed the camera on a post. When I connected the cables and turned every thing on I saw an image on the monitor!! Configuring everything was a little more tricky, It seems these things are designed for people who know what they are doing. The manual is somewhat well written but it covers too many systems at once. The best source of info for me turned out to be You Tube.

This set up exceeds all of my expectations. The image quality is very good and I am impressed with the night vision. I tried 24/7 recording until I discovered VCA (Video Content Analysis) The recording activation based on Line Crossing and Intrusion are just what I need. These are the two functions available in the camera I purchased. Motion detect created too many false positives. Once I got the hang of configuring all of the various things these two functions worked with very few false positives.

I can review all of the previous day's relevant activities in the morning in about five minutes. I set the playback to 5 seconds before activation and a minute or two after activation. Five seconds after the recording starts I see the triggered event. It is easy and quick to pass on false positives.

The first camera gives a general view of the driveway and the front walk. I can easily recognize people I know. However I was concerned about facial detail of people I don't know so I purchased a second camera and aimed it directly at the walk to the house. This 12 MM 24 degree 1080P camera shows good facial detail.

My third camera is 6 MM 54 degrees. It is waiting for final installation at the bird bath.

The forth camera will be a 12 MM camera located closer to the street near the mailbox. I am concerned that I can't read license plates with the 3.6 MM camera that is over 100 ft from the head of the driveway.

Some of the activations/alarms are set to record. The line crossings and intrusions on the front walk are set to record and also an audible signal. I get a beep beep as some one is approaching the front door.

I am amazed at the capabilities of this system and I still have a lot to learn. So far the hard drive recording will go for months with the 2 TB drive because I am only recording events.

Spoiler!

Last edited by zeuspaul; 12-09-2019 at 12:39 AM.
post #185 of 191 Old 12-10-2019, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I just found this thread...after I started purchasing my cameras I will add my experience for those wanting a basic camera system.

All I wanted was a camera to monitor my front door. I settled on a popular brand of camera and then started reading Amazon reviews. About half way through a long list of reviews some said just get a Hikvision or a ? So I checked into Hikvision and found it is the largest manufacturer of security cameras in the world (according to them). I checked Costco and two of their popular brands are Swann and Lorex. It turns out those brands are rebranded Hikvision cameras (maybe I am wrong). So I checked Amazon and not much on Hikvision there. I found a good selection of Hikvision stuff at B&H Photo. A lot of their Hikvision is drop shipped from the manufacturer. I saw little or no reviews of Hikvision at B&H or Amazon.

I settled on Hikvision. I wanted to keep it simple as I am doing this myself. I am comfortable with 1080P. I have an available 1080P monitor. I set the B&H filters for 1080P/2MP and TVI which is HD analogue. It requires a double cable (power and signal). I kept the components the same manufacturer because I was guessing there would be fewer compatibility issues.

I purchased a Turbo HD 8-channel HD-TVI DVR. I don't want or need remote access. The simpler I keep this the better for me. I guessed I might find a spot for three or four cameras so I bought 8 channels just in case. It was only about $50 more than 4 channels. I bought the 2 TB hard drive separately because it was cheaper that way.

I bought a single 3.6 MM 82 degree field of view camera and the power supply and cable. I installed the camera on a post. When I connected the cables and turned every thing on I saw an image on the monitor!! Configuring everything was a little more tricky, It seems these things are designed for people who know what they are doing. The manual is somewhat well written but it covers too many systems at once. The best source of info for me turned out to be You Tube.

This set up exceeds all of my expectations. The image quality is very good and I am impressed with the night vision. I tried 24/7 recording until I discovered VCA (Video Content Analysis) The recording activation based on Line Crossing and Intrusion are just what I need. These are the two functions available in the camera I purchased. Motion detect created too many false positives. Once I got the hang of configuring all of the various things these two functions worked with very few false positives.

I can review all of the previous day's relevant activities in the morning in about five minutes. I set the playback to 5 seconds before activation and a minute or two after activation. Five seconds after the recording starts I see the triggered event. It is easy and quick to pass on false positives.

The first camera gives a general view of the driveway and the front walk. I can easily recognize people I know. However I was concerned about facial detail of people I don't know so I purchased a second camera and aimed it directly at the walk to the house. This 12 MM 24 degree 1080P camera shows good facial detail.

My third camera is 6 MM 54 degrees. It is waiting for final installation at the bird bath.

The forth camera will be a 12 MM camera located closer to the street near the mailbox. I am concerned that I can't read license plates with the 3.6 MM camera that is over 100 ft from the head of the driveway.

Some of the activations/alarms are set to record. The line crossings and intrusions on the front walk are set to record and also an audible signal. I get a beep beep as some one is approaching the front door.

I am amazed at the capabilities of this system and I still have a lot to learn. So far the hard drive recording will go for months with the 2 TB drive because I am only recording events.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and your setup.

I'm glad you found a setup that worked for you.

If you're able to, do you have a picture from a recording so people can see what the image quality is like? If you don't want to, that's fine too.

Are you also recording audio?
post #186 of 191 Old 12-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience, and your setup.
I'm glad you found a setup that worked for you.
If you're able to, do you have a picture from a recording so people can see what the image quality is like? If you don't want to, that's fine too.
Are you also recording audio?

I am not using audio and have not explored that option. None of my cameras have an audio option.

Getting an image to my computer has not been a straight forward process. I can export an mp4 file from the DVR to a thumb drive but none of my mp4 play options recognize the mp4 (mp4 is a container format). After some research I found a free down load from Hikvision called format converter. I was able to convert the mp4 file to another mp4 format that my computer can read. Attached is a screen capture from the 3.6MM camera and a night time capture of a bobcat on the 12 MM camera.

One minor complaint I have with the Hikvision DVR is the cooling fan noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.6MM Hikvision.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	2652272   Click image for larger version

Name:	12MM bobcat.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	2652274  

Spoiler!

Last edited by zeuspaul; 12-10-2019 at 07:06 PM.
post #187 of 191 Old 12-10-2019, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am not using audio and have not exolored that option. None of my cameras have an audio option.

Getting an image to my computer has not been a straight forward process. I can export an mp4 file from the DVR to a thumb drive but none of my mp4 play options recognize the mp4 (mp4 is a container format). After some research I found a free down load from Hikvision called format converter. I was able to convert the mp4 file to another mp4 format that my computer can read. Attached is a screen capture from the 3.6MM camera and a night time capture of a bobcat on the 12 MM camera.

Thanks.

The daytime image looks great.

The nighttime one is good enough, IMO. Funny the cat has glowing eyes.

This is a good recommendation for anyone that is considering these cameras.

Yes, my DVR is also loud. If I were to start over, I'd consider putting it in an enclosed case mount. However, I also like the setup of where it is now too, and there's enough space to use the mouse and navigate the menus. Not sure there's an ideal situation, to both lower the fan noise, and have easy mouse access and TV monitor access to navigate the menus.

Fortunately, there's no bedrooms near the security camera DVR.

Yes, when I tried saving a video clip to a thumb drive, my system also put the file in a weird format. But apparently the DVR also installs a player for playing the file, onto the USB drive, whenever saving.
post #188 of 191 Old 12-26-2019, 07:32 PM

I have another quibble with my Hikvision setup. I installed a third camera. I tried to configure VCA (video content analysis) for this camera for line crossing and intrusion detection. I got an error message indicating not enough resources for this! Really? The DVR is for 8 cameras but I can only use VCA for 2? I Like VCA for event triggers because I get fewer false alsrms than I do with motion detection. I don't know If I can add memory or if a different head unit would allow for more VCA options.

Not too big of a deal but a disappointment. I am still planning on a forth camera closer to the street because I want to be able to resolve license plates.

I feel a lot more aware of what's going on in my neighboorhood since the installation of the security cameras.

Quote:

Spoiler!
post #189 of 191 Old 12-26-2019, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have another quibble with my Hikvision setup. I installed a third camera. I tried to configure VCA (video content analysis) for this camera for line crossing and intrusion detection. I got an error message indicating not enough resources for this! Really? The DVR is for 8 cameras but I can only use VCA for 2? I Like VCA for event triggers because I get fewer false alsrms than I do with motion detection. I don't know If I can add memory or if a different head unit would allow for more VCA options.

Not too big of a deal but a disappointment. I am still planning on a forth camera closer to the street because I want to be able to resolve license plates.

I feel a lot more aware of what's going on in my neighboorhood since the installation of the security cameras.

Thanks for sharing.

That is a weird error.

Did you try contacting Hikivision? Did they offer any suggestions?

What other interesting things have you seen in your neighborhood, since the installation of the cameras?
post #190 of 191 Old 12-29-2019, 01:11 AM

I haven't contacted Hikvision. I will do some research first.

The neighborhood is rather boring. Mostly I am learnong what time my neighbors go to work.

The most useful thing so far is knowing when the mailman comes and when packages get delivered.

So far I have seen a bobcat, coyote and racoon walking up my front walk in the middle of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
Thanks for sharing.

That is a weird error.

Did you try contacting Hikivision? Did they offer any suggestions?

What other interesting things have you seen in your neighborhood, since the installation of the cameras?

Spoiler!
post #191 of 191 Old 12-29-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I haven't contacted Hikvision. I will do some research first.

The neighborhood is rather boring. Mostly I am learnong what time my neighbors go to work.

The most useful thing so far is knowing when the mailman comes and when packages get delivered.

So far I have seen a bobcat, coyote and racoon walking up my front walk in the middle of the night.

Cool, thanks for sharing. Let us know if there's any updates on your issue about configuring line crossing and intrusion detection for a third camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page