Originally Posted by d726
We bought a home that came with a control 4 system. It seems to only handle TV and music which is wired throughout the house. Bt the dealer states its 5K to make the system work properly, and to extend the router signal though the house. With all the new gadgets out there, plus having to pay an annual fee for them to "upgrade" the system periodically, this seems like a huge expense. We do not use it for alarm, lights, etc. Thoughts? Because 5K could go elsewhere and go a long way...
1) there is no annual fee to upgrade Control4.
2) it may cost 5k to make the system work properly if the former home owner took all the hardware (matrix, tvs, amps, etc) and you need to start from scratch and all you have is wiring.
If you provide more info you could get some more detailed responses. A few observations:
1) some dealers charge a yearly fee which come with a set amount of service appointments/labor hours. That could include doing OS upgrades, fixing bugs, adding new devices, upgrading firmware,etc. Other dealers let you pay hourly as you go. Some dealers only charge for big OS upgrades and not the small ones (.X type upgrades). your mileage will vary accordingly. I pay my dealer per house, I have a wealthy friend who pays his dealer a high yearly fee for 24x7 support with guaranteed response time within 2 hours and new hardware within 48 hours, and it comes with free OS upgrades, etc but he is still paying for those upgrades ;-)
2) the only yearly fee for C4 is for their app 4sight which gives you app functionality away from home, it also gives you Alexa control, it gives you When/Then programming from a Web UI and several other features.
3) Composer HE is software where you can do 95% of the work by yourself without a dealer. Its a 1 time $149 fee and comes with 1 year of 4sight for free ($99 as stated above). What you CANNOT do with Composer HE is do OS updates and add hardware to your project
4) the OS upgrades, unless you require a new feature, most people keep their systems stable and rarely upgrade the OS. so its not like you need to upgrade 2-3x a year, that is just a personal choice.
So if you have more info as to what hardware is there you can get a best cost estimate from users like myself. if all TV's and AVRs and speakers and Matrix are in place and he wants 5k to hook it up, I can find you someone else to do the quick programming for 1/10th of the price guaranteed. Video Matrix are expensive, so if they took parts or all of the hardware, yes 5k could be reasonable (depending on how many inputs/outputs, 4k, audio sync, etc). With all the technology out there these days, not many are doing whole home video (with proper audio sync) cheaply with IoT devices - just an FYI.
is a great place to get more detailed info from power users, dealers and people who write drivers for C4 professionally.