Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 59 Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
alternative to DIY control4

Control4 looks great but i talked to a dealer and they told me if I wanted to add additional devices I need to call them to integrate it. What are some DIY alternatives that do the same thing? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 115
what is your use? Lighting, HVAC, Security? Do you want to go more in depth with Audio and Video distribution? Are you going to get more exotic and control a pool or Jacuzzi or a steam room? any wiring done to the property or is this a new build scenario? Do you need control or true automation/1 app solution? Lots of questions need answers to help guide you.

You are correct c4 requires them to add the device to the project but with Composer Home Edition you can do 100% of the programming. If you work with a remote dealer, adding a device to your project should take minutes and cost is nominal. It is a trade off for getting a fully robust system that can handle just about anything you throw at it?
post #3 of 59 Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Combine something like Lutron's Radio RA2 with a commercial grade software based automation platform like our CQC system. CQC is primarily oriented towards commercial systems, so it's very robust and powerful, but still DIY friendly. RA2 is a commercial grade product as well, but you can get the software if you take a little on-line course from Lutron. So you aren't compromising anything and it gives you full control over the system.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/CQC...page=/Overview

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
what is your use? Lighting, HVAC, Security? Do you want to go more in depth with Audio and Video distribution? Are you going to get more exotic and control a pool or Jacuzzi or a steam room? any wiring done to the property or is this a new build scenario? Do you need control or true automation/1 app solution? Lots of questions need answers to help guide you.

You are correct c4 requires them to add the device to the project but with Composer Home Edition you can do 100% of the programming. If you work with a remote dealer, adding a device to your project should take minutes and cost is nominal. It is a trade off for getting a fully robust system that can handle just about anything you throw at it?
Hi, my use to start with would be for my basement to control Home theater room, 3-4 additional tvs, audio steaming , lighting and hvac. Eventually, I want to control my whole house with security system and the rest of my home lighting, door locks, garage door opener. My main goal is to control the audio/video with a push of a button or lcd screen.

I currently have smartthings with Alexa, and only have a zwave door lock, ecobee thermostat, and some GE smart switches. It is working good but I want to get more sophisticated. Like I posted on another thread, the only thing that is not making me forward with C4 is that I need to get a dealer to add the device. I am pretty tech savy so that is my worry I have to pay someone for this task. Now if a remote dealer is much inexpensive than my local dealer who will initially install it, that helps me decide I just need to do more research. Another thing I thought about was becoming c4 certified and see if I can get access to the backend and install the devices myself. I don't know if anyone has gone that route. I have an in-home consultation next week, once I see also what it will cost $$$, I will make up my mind.

I did want to know if Smartthings is the only DIY out there, or are there more better systems just like c4 that do not require a dealer.
post #5 of 59 Old 11-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elloco07 View Post
Hi, my use to start with would be for my basement to control Home theater room, 3-4 additional tvs, audio steaming , lighting and hvac. Eventually, I want to control my whole house with security system and the rest of my home lighting, door locks, garage door opener. My main goal is to control the audio/video with a push of a button or lcd screen.

I currently have smartthings with Alexa, and only have a zwave door lock, ecobee thermostat, and some GE smart switches. It is working good but I want to get more sophisticated. Like I posted on another thread, the only thing that is not making me forward with C4 is that I need to get a dealer to add the device. I am pretty tech savy so that is my worry I have to pay someone for this task. Now if a remote dealer is much inexpensive than my local dealer who will initially install it, that helps me decide I just need to do more research. Another thing I thought about was becoming c4 certified and see if I can get access to the backend and install the devices myself. I don't know if anyone has gone that route. I have an in-home consultation next week, once I see also what it will cost $$$, I will make up my mind.

I did want to know if Smartthings is the only DIY out there, or are there more better systems just like c4 that do not require a dealer.
C4 has high minimums for sales, showrooms and other qualifications to be a dealer. It is not like Lutron with an online course and bam you have access to dealer tools and programming.

Most hubs are good for a few tasks but do not do audio/video well, at least not multi room. They also may not lead to true automation vs just pure control.

There are 1-2 DIY systems people mention on here, iRule is one I remember. But between C4, Crestron, Savant, URC, etc, C4 is the most DIY (without being 100% DIY).

You can PM me for info about remote dealers I've used before. but as an example, if I buy hardware from them and its a 2 second job to ID it in the system, they do not even charge for it. If I buy a TV from Best Buy and they have to ID it in my system it is a couple of bucks. Sometimes if I tie that into more work they may not even charge for it. Its nice to have a good relationship with your dealer. My dealer knows I go to him for hardware when its normal MSRP stuff, I give referrals, etc, and to ID a light switch or a key fob or to trouble shoot is no big deal.

It is also nice to have a paid pro so when DIY isnt possible or above your pay grade you can have someone do it for you. And the remote guys do it while you are at work or sleeping so when you are home you can test things out.
post #6 of 59 Old 11-21-2017, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
C4 has high minimums for sales, showrooms and other qualifications to be a dealer. It is not like Lutron with an online course and bam you have access to dealer tools and programming.

Most hubs are good for a few tasks but do not do audio/video well, at least not multi room. They also may not lead to true automation vs just pure control.

There are 1-2 DIY systems people mention on here, iRule is one I remember. But between C4, Crestron, Savant, URC, etc, C4 is the most DIY (without being 100% DIY).

You can PM me for info about remote dealers I've used before. but as an example, if I buy hardware from them and its a 2 second job to ID it in the system, they do not even charge for it. If I buy a TV from Best Buy and they have to ID it in my system it is a couple of bucks. Sometimes if I tie that into more work they may not even charge for it. Its nice to have a good relationship with your dealer. My dealer knows I go to him for hardware when its normal MSRP stuff, I give referrals, etc, and to ID a light switch or a key fob or to trouble shoot is no big deal.

It is also nice to have a paid pro so when DIY isnt possible or above your pay grade you can have someone do it for you. And the remote guys do it while you are at work or sleeping so when you are home you can test things out.
Thanks, I will definitely keep this in mind. Now I guess I need to find out what it will cost me to make my final decision.
post #7 of 59 Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM

BTW, when you separate the automation system from the hardware controlled, as is the case in the scenario I outlined above, then you can have professional help on the hardware installation, but do the automation system part yourself (which is really the part you are mostly concerned about.) And of course you can still get the Lutron software if you use something like Radio RA2, so you can make changes on the Lutron side as well. But you can get some help on the wiring and such, which is the heavy bit when it comes to putting in such a system.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #8 of 59 Old 11-22-2017, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm not sure how set in stone you are about C4 but there are some great deals for second hand last generation Elan hardware on ebay. HC6 and S1616 come to mind immediately.
post #9 of 59 Old 11-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCS_A View Post
I'm not sure how set in stone you are about C4 but there are some great deals for second hand last generation Elan hardware on ebay. HC6 and S1616 come to mind immediately.
Elan is less DIY than C4 from my understanding. its 100% dealer based. At least with c4 you can do 100% of the programming, just not add devices. You can always get a used HC800 or HC250 for Control4 on ebay too. Do not get anything older than the 800/250.
post #10 of 59 Old 11-25-2017, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We’re currently building our retirement home and I’ve decided on mostly HomeKit accessories with Simple Home 5.0 as the interface. I may do some custom things with homebridge. The homekit WiFi enabled switches and dimmers by leviton and iDevices just work. My previous two homes were Insteon controlled by Universal Devices ISY 994 controllers and earlier versions of the Roomie/Simple interfaces. ISY can also be exposed via homebridge to homekit but that’s a bit more of a hack..

Dave
post #11 of 59 Old 11-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've gone through this myself on a new home build over the last year or so. I quickly fell in love with the Control4 product, but like you, I didn't want to give all the work to the dealer. I am a Systems Engineer/Architect and I know my stuff, so the general lack of DIY options with C4 made me sad. Not only would I be interested in doing some DIY, but I actually find this stuff fun.

All the options seem to fall into two categories:
  • Integrated systems like C4, Crestron, Elan, etc... All of these are the best product/experience, but all have dealer channels.
  • Completely unintegrated "components" that are cheap and easy to DIY, but there is no central control option for all the devices. Things like Ecobee, Nest, Wemo, Insteon, Hue, etc. all fall into this category. Some of these offer semi-integration through HomeKit, SmartThings, etc, but the available integration is 10% of what C4/Crestron can do.

I was dead set on rolling my own solution - node.js or a python server listening to control commands from iPads or iPhones, then hitting the APIs of all the different DIY platforms. I started coding it and got Insteon and Sonos mostly working. Then I started working on the UI. Then I realized what I had dug myself into. I have a full time job, run a small business, and now I was signing up to recreate a product that is so complicated that companies can charge thousands or tens of thousands for it. This is not what I wanted to do.

Wife Acceptance Factor played a role too... she wanted something that "just worked". C4 fit the bill. With Composer Home Edition I can do all the programming myself. I need a dealer to install new items, but they can do that remotely and it takes minutes and costs little. Then I can program what happens with those devices.

My friend is perfectly happy using 10 different apps... Ring, Nest, something else for his Chinese WiFi light switches...

To each their own.
br0d0, drunkwithpower and JJ7 like this.
post #12 of 59 Old 11-26-2017, 05:19 PM

There ARE options like ours, which I've mentioned a number of times in this thread. Combine CQC with something like Lutron's Radio RA2 or Caseta and you have a serious, robust system, which isn't a hobbyist product where you are duct taping stuff together yourself, which has a very mature architecture, and which is enormously flexible and can do whatever you want to do, but it provides all the tools to do it, and you aren't using ten different apps you are using a highly integrated system. It's primarily commercially oriented, like C4, but it's DIY friendly.

ANY system that you aren't going to pay someone to come look at every time something hiccups is of course going to require your attention. And there will sometimes be hiccups because it has to deal with the real world and the real world doesn't like to play nice sometimes. But the options aren't just either Wink/Smart Things and accept a very limited system or go to Control4 and lose control. There are options in the middle, and we provide one, you just provide a solid hardware foundation. You can get someone to do the hardware installation for you, and you do the automation side of it.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #13 of 59 Old 11-26-2017, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hi All,

If I don't need to control HVAC, doors, lights, just want to control A/V gear like, AVR, Projector, TV, Cable box, Xbox One, PVR, Blu ray player, Sonos Play 1 which solution do you recommend? But multiroom of course. Would like DIY if possible.

Thanks,
K.
vhomsomb likes this.

Last edited by k3nnis; 11-26-2017 at 08:31 PM.
post #14 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Hi All,

If I don't need to control HVAC, doors, lights, just want to control A/V gear like, AVR, Projector, TV, Cable box, Xbox One, PVR, Blu ray player, Sonos Play 1 which solution do you recommend? But multiroom of course. Would like DIY if possible.

Thanks,
K.
Obviously the integrator based products would allow you control those devices. In my system, Harmony's hub works very well for me. I control a JVC projector, tv, Directv Genie, Denon avr, Xbox One, Samsung Blu-ray player, Marantz Amp, Google Chromecast and Amazon Fire Stick with the Harmony in the family room. I use Alexa for voice control of the av system.

In order to allow my home automation system to control the av activities (scenes) that I've setup using Harmony, I use IFTTT. This allows me use voice for the av activities or press a button in my home automation system's app to control the av scenes. For voice I can say to Alexa, "Turn on Goodnight" and the av equipment in the family room will turn off, the lights in the master will turn on, garage door closes and the doors are locked. I also have a scene for watching movies where the projector turns on and the lights go out, the garage door closes and the doors lock.

Sonos also works with Harmony. You can do multi-room control with Harmony as long as the other rooms have a Harmony hub inside. If you're going to do voice control with the Harmony hub in a multi-room setup, you need to setup the additional rooms using the Yonomi app. Once you do that you'll be able to use Alexa to control the av setups in each room by voice. Once you setup the additional rooms in Yonomi, you don't have to go into the Yonomi app for control. The Harmony app is available for control. I find to app to be well designed and responsive.
br0d0 likes this.

XBL: Stunt1on1

Last edited by ahard; 11-27-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #15 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
Obviously the integrator based products would allow you control those devices. In my system, Harmony's hub works very well for me. I control a JVC projector, tv, Directv Genie, Denon avr, Xbox One, Samsung Blu-ray player, Marantz Amp, Google Chromecast and Amazon Fire Stick with the Harmony in the family room. I use Alexa for voice control of the av system.

In order to allow my home automation system to control the av activities (scenes) that I've setup using Harmony, I use IFTTT. This allows me use voice for the av activities or press a button in my home automation system's app to control the av scenes. For voice I can say to Alexa, "Turn on Goodnight" and the av equipment in the family room will turn off, the lights in the master will turn on, garage door closes and the doors are locked. I also have a scene for watching movies where the projector turns on and the lights go out, the garage door closes and the doors lock.

Sonos also works with Harmony. You can do multi-room control with Harmony as long as the other rooms have a Harmony hub inside. If you're going to do voice control with the Harmony hub in a multi-room setup, you need to setup the additional rooms using the Yonomi app. Once you do that you'll be able to use Alexa to control the av setups in each room by voice. Once you setup the additional rooms in Yonomi, you don't have to go into the Yonomi app for control. The Harmony app is available for control. I find to app to be well designed and responsive.

Thanks. What if I don’t need voice control? But a multi room setup. Do I just need the hub in each room? Can you purchase the hub separately? Can I just use the harmony iOS app to control all 3 rooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. What if I don’t need voice control? But a multi room setup. Do I just need the hub in each room? Can you purchase the hub separately? Can I just use the harmony iOS app to control all 3 rooms?

If you don't need voice control then you don't need to use Yonomi to setup the additional rooms. You can setup the additional rooms using the Harmony app. You will still need a hub in each room. You can purchase the hubs separately, but you're better off just purchasing a hub & remote combo. That way you'll have a remote & hub for each room. You can use the Harmony iOS or Android app to control all 3 rooms. In the top left corner of the app you'll select for example, Master Bedroom Hub and the app will be ready to control the setup in the Master. If you want to control the setup in the family room instead of the Master, select the family room hub from the menu in the top left corner of the app.

post #17 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you don't need voice control then you don't need to use Yonomi to setup the additional rooms. You can setup the additional rooms using the Harmony app. You will still need a hub in each room. You can purchase the hubs separately, but you're better off just purchasing a hub & remote combo. That way you'll have a remote & hub for each room. You can use the Harmony iOS or Android app to control all 3 rooms. In the top left corner of the app you'll select for example, Master Bedroom Hub and the app will be ready to control the setup in the Master. If you want to control the setup in the family room instead of the Master, select the family room hub from the menu in the top left corner of the app.

Thanks. So control4 will be overkill I guess for my usage? I’m trying to add up the 3 harmony’s and see how much difference in price that is.

Also harmony has elite and companion packages. Is the only difference the remote? Which one do you have?

post #18 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. So control4 will be overkill I guess for my usage? I’m trying to add up the 3 harmony’s and see how much difference in price that is.

Also harmony has elite and companion packages. Is the only difference the remote? Which one do you have?

I have the companion package. The only difference is the remote.

post #19 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok thanks. Responsiveness good on the app?

post #20 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok thanks. Responsiveness good on the app?

Yes. Very good. The app is high quality stuff. I prefer to use it on my tablet over my phone bc you get more info on the screen. You can also go into the settings in the app and enable a selection that will allow the screen to say on as long as the app is open.

post #21 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. Very good. The app is high quality stuff. I prefer to use it on my tablet over my phone bc you get more info on the screen. You can also go into the settings in the app and enable a selection that will allow the screen to say on as long as the app is open.

Thanks. Sounds good. All the activities work well?

Also harmony is based on IR? Not IP?

post #22 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds good. All the activities work well?

Also harmony is based on IR? Not IP?

All of the activities work very well. They're simple to setup and easy to make changes to. Harmony is IR based. The hub is a big IR blaster.

post #23 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok thanks.

post #24 of 59 Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I have a Sonos in the upstairs bedroom and my harmony hub is downstairs can the iOS Harmony app control my sonos? If not what do I need to do?
post #25 of 59 Old 11-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I have a Sonos in the upstairs bedroom and my harmony hub is downstairs can the iOS Harmony app control my sonos? If not what do I need to do?
I don't use Sonos with the Harmony so I can't give you a complete answer. However, Harmony's website has a ton of info on how it works with Sonos. Check out this page: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...nce-with-sonos

post #26 of 59 Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I laugh when people complain about the need to call a dealer for anything that for a wrong. I've had to reboot all other brands of hubs repeatedly where the c4 is solid. If you truly understand all the possibilities to program and the customization options through the composer he software you wouldn't even look at the novice automation hubs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #27 of 59 Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
inherited Control 4

We bought a home that came with a control 4 system. It seems to only handle TV and music which is wired throughout the house. Bt the dealer states its 5K to make the system work properly, and to extend the router signal though the house. With all the new gadgets out there, plus having to pay an annual fee for them to "upgrade" the system periodically, this seems like a huge expense. We do not use it for alarm, lights, etc. Thoughts? Because 5K could go elsewhere and go a long way...
post #28 of 59 Old 11-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d726 View Post
We bought a home that came with a control 4 system. It seems to only handle TV and music which is wired throughout the house. Bt the dealer states its 5K to make the system work properly, and to extend the router signal though the house. With all the new gadgets out there, plus having to pay an annual fee for them to "upgrade" the system periodically, this seems like a huge expense. We do not use it for alarm, lights, etc. Thoughts? Because 5K could go elsewhere and go a long way...
1) there is no annual fee to upgrade Control4.
2) it may cost 5k to make the system work properly if the former home owner took all the hardware (matrix, tvs, amps, etc) and you need to start from scratch and all you have is wiring.

If you provide more info you could get some more detailed responses. A few observations:

1) some dealers charge a yearly fee which come with a set amount of service appointments/labor hours. That could include doing OS upgrades, fixing bugs, adding new devices, upgrading firmware,etc. Other dealers let you pay hourly as you go. Some dealers only charge for big OS upgrades and not the small ones (.X type upgrades). your mileage will vary accordingly. I pay my dealer per house, I have a wealthy friend who pays his dealer a high yearly fee for 24x7 support with guaranteed response time within 2 hours and new hardware within 48 hours, and it comes with free OS upgrades, etc but he is still paying for those upgrades ;-)
2) the only yearly fee for C4 is for their app 4sight which gives you app functionality away from home, it also gives you Alexa control, it gives you When/Then programming from a Web UI and several other features.
3) Composer HE is software where you can do 95% of the work by yourself without a dealer. Its a 1 time $149 fee and comes with 1 year of 4sight for free ($99 as stated above). What you CANNOT do with Composer HE is do OS updates and add hardware to your project
4) the OS upgrades, unless you require a new feature, most people keep their systems stable and rarely upgrade the OS. so its not like you need to upgrade 2-3x a year, that is just a personal choice.

So if you have more info as to what hardware is there you can get a best cost estimate from users like myself. if all TV's and AVRs and speakers and Matrix are in place and he wants 5k to hook it up, I can find you someone else to do the quick programming for 1/10th of the price guaranteed. Video Matrix are expensive, so if they took parts or all of the hardware, yes 5k could be reasonable (depending on how many inputs/outputs, 4k, audio sync, etc). With all the technology out there these days, not many are doing whole home video (with proper audio sync) cheaply with IoT devices - just an FYI.

www.c4forums.com is a great place to get more detailed info from power users, dealers and people who write drivers for C4 professionally.
post #29 of 59 Old 11-25-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by d726 View Post

Do NOT skimp on networking.
post #30 of 59 Old 11-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Control 4 system components

[quote=ezlotogura;57151750]1) there is no annual fee to upgrade Control4.
2) it may cost 5k to make the system work properly if the former home owner took all the hardware (matrix, tvs, amps, etc) and you need to start from scratch and all you have is wiring.

If you provide more info you could get some more detailed responses.

So if you have more info as to what hardware is there you can get a best cost estimate from users like myself. if all TV's and AVRs and speakers and Matrix are in place and he wants 5k to hook it up, I can find you someone else to do the quick programming for 1/10th of the price guaranteed. Video Matrix are expensive, so if they took parts or all of the hardware, yes 5k could be reasonable (depending on how many inputs/outputs, 4k, audio sync, etc). With all the technology out there these days, not many are doing whole home video (with proper audio sync) cheaply with IoT devices - just an FYI.

So it looks like they bought it all from Best Buy. They came out and were pathetic; didn't't seem to know the system at all. There's a C4 HC-800 controller with site, an app and an iPod dock, then the nether ethernet, power line and adapter, a denon AVR X4000, an old looking remote for the c4and then TV's speakers though the house, etc. Thee local dealer which c4 suggested did quote 5K to make the system work, repair the remote or load onto an iPad I have at home, get my app to work, and yes, a monthly fee which amounts to a few thousand a year to do all the upgrades automatically. Does that help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page