How to control Elan system myself - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question How to control Elan system myself

I have a home automation system from Elan that mainly controls my home A/V system. Occasionally I have small things that I would like to change but the dealer tells me I have to ask him do them. This can be annoying as I only want to (for example) change the channels and icons on the remote to new channels that we may have decided to start watching. Or it could be that I just want to change the order of the icons. When I ask him how to do this he says to contact him and he will make the changes. I can't believe I spent the money I did for a system I cannot control. Does anyone know how to get around this or tell me of a system I can control myself. I have tried the Elan site but they seem to be a dealer only company. Maybe I am not understanding all that is involved but seems that anyone with a little computer skills should be able to make these simple changes? Thank you for any insight.

Elan:gSC10 Controller
S86A:8-Source/6-Zone Integrated Multi-Room A/V Controller/Amplifier
Elan: Wand Style Remote control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I believe Elan is a dealer only company as RTI and Crestron.

Control4 has software that allows you to do all the programming, but you cannot add devices, to add a new device into your system you need to call your dealer. But you can program 100% just like a dealer can program.

There are a few dealers on here with more DIY Friendly automation systems so they may chime in.

Then you get to the hubs found in various big box stores that support Zwave and other protocols.

If it is only an AV system you have a few options but either way you'll be out $$ dumping the Elan controller, remote and maybe other misc Elan gear on eBay.

How much of the gear is Elan vs other equipment? If just AV in a room I am assuming Elan is just mostly a controller and remote control? Those probably coordinate the AVR, TV and various inputs?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
I believe Elan is a dealer only company as RTI and Crestron.

Control4 has software that allows you to do all the programming, but you cannot add devices, to add a new device into your system you need to call your dealer. But you can program 100% just like a dealer can program.

There are a few dealers on here with more DIY Friendly automation systems so they may chime in.

Then you get to the hubs found in various big box stores that support Zwave and other protocols.

If it is only an AV system you have a few options but either way you'll be out $$ dumping the Elan controller, remote and maybe other misc Elan gear on eBay.

How much of the gear is Elan vs other equipment? If just AV in a room I am assuming Elan is just mostly a controller and remote control? Those probably coordinate the AVR, TV and various inputs?
Thank you for the info. Yes the Elan is just that controller & remote. It does control sound to other rooms but also Video over cat6. Control4 sounds like it might be a good fit although the adding of devices will still be an inconvenience but rarely will that happen. Mostly day to day minor changes is all I am looking for so this sounds good. Yes I hate to dump the Elan products but they are not what I was looking for. Was looking for more control. Thank you again for the reply. This is helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjo01 View Post
Thank you for the info. Yes the Elan is just that controller & remote. It does control sound to other rooms but also Video over cat6. Control4 sounds like it might be a good fit although the adding of devices will still be an inconvenience but rarely will that happen. Mostly day to day minor changes is all I am looking for so this sounds good. Yes I hate to dump the Elan products but they are not what I was looking for. Was looking for more control. Thank you again for the reply. This is helpful.
c4forums.com is a good place to start to see if control4 is right for you. again you need a dealer to get you going, install the controller, add all of your hardware into the project, add the drivers, bindings, etc. once its up and running, as an example - if there is a 6 button keypad and button 4 turns on music, you can now make button 4 turn on the tv, or you can make button 4 turn on the alarm or whatever you want. the software is called Composer HE and I think its $149 as a 1 time fee (I purchased years ago so forgot the price). The example of the button is very basic, but you can create entire scenes, complex variables, etc all as a home user. But if you get a new TV, blu ray player, amazon fire stick, light switch, motorized curtain, alarm sensor, etc, you'll need your dealer to add it into the project. then you can see it on your side of the software and program away.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-21-2018, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjo01 View Post
I have a home automation system from Elan that mainly controls my home A/V system. Occasionally I have small things that I would like to change but the dealer tells me I have to ask him do them. This can be annoying as I only want to (for example) change the channels and icons on the remote to new channels that we may have decided to start watching. Or it could be that I just want to change the order of the icons. When I ask him how to do this he says to contact him and he will make the changes. I can't believe I spent the money I did for a system I cannot control. Does anyone know how to get around this or tell me of a system I can control myself. I have tried the Elan site but they seem to be a dealer only company. Maybe I am not understanding all that is involved but seems that anyone with a little computer skills should be able to make these simple changes? Thank you for any insight.

Elan:gSC10 Controller
S86A:8-Source/6-Zone Integrated Multi-Room A/V Controller/Amplifier
Elan: Wand Style Remote control
Elan is dealer only, although I do have end users contact me all the time when they can't figure something out in the software, and I'm usually happy to make whatever changes they want. Just some info on the channel favorites, if your controller is running the 8.0+ core module you can add and edit your own favorites straight from the interface.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #6 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread but hoping to get a dialog going regarding this issue. I'm in the Chicago area and my experience with the Elan folks has been less than desirable. There aren't that many of them and response ranges from non-existent to "your request was in my spam". I am regretting ever having an Elan system put into my home and when we move I will not make the same mistake. Is there anyway for me to get the software and have the system changed into my name for control? It seems to me that if you are going to be an installer only company you should assure that your installers are servicing their accounts. I want to add onto my system and can't even get a quote after two weeks and several emails requesting service. It's ridiculous!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
You should contact Elan and let them know what dealer you have contacted who hasn't responded to you. Dealers should always be responsive to their client's needs.

I will say that one of the things that Crestron added, despite their closed programming architecture, is add user-programmable television presets. I do the same for television stations, and their Sonos interface offers access to your favorites within Sonos. So, yeah, while you can't change much, stuff like presets are up to the user to program.

Not sure if Elan even offers that level of integration configuration or if it is all pre-packaged stuff. That's kind of the way I've heard C4 is. If you want to do something outside of their box, you're outta luck.

Don't count on Elan handing you the coding tools to do it yourself though. That opens them up to a whole can of problems when consumers program, then accidentally delete, their home system and then want the manufacturer to fix the issue. Causes them all sorts of problems.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen363 View Post
I know this is an old thread but hoping to get a dialog going regarding this issue. I'm in the Chicago area and my experience with the Elan folks has been less than desirable. There aren't that many of them and response ranges from non-existent to "your request was in my spam". I am regretting ever having an Elan system put into my home and when we move I will not make the same mistake. Is there anyway for me to get the software and have the system changed into my name for control? It seems to me that if you are going to be an installer only company you should assure that your installers are servicing their accounts. I want to add onto my system and can't even get a quote after two weeks and several emails requesting service. It's ridiculous!
I'm in the same boat. I have QTY (2) Elan HR200 remotes with a G1 controller. Dealer wants $500 to come onsite and get everything powered on and working again. Too bad, I wish Elan supported a DIY community, but then again, that would dry up the dealer network. I get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page