Give me some lite automation ideas for my house i'm building? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 03-24-2018, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Give me some lite automation ideas for my house i'm building?

I'm building my own house and about to start wiring. Floor plan is attached. Zwave will be what i use.

I dont want to get too crazy but i want to run enough wire for some simple and useful automation/ whatever you want to call it.

My main wire closet is the red linen closet. I'm open to change this if theres a reason.

I'd love some wiring ideas and things to do without getting too crazy.

Here's what I plan:

Surround Sound in the Great Room
  • great room is 9' wall at the left and right and peaks at 15'.
  • I have in floor conduit (one for power, one for other) and junction boxes run to under the couch area and also to kitchen island (Concrete floors so no adding more).
  • Thinking Side speakers in/at island and perhaps above 8' accodion door (not ideal but not many options).
  • Rear speakers on back wall (kind of far but again, no real options?
  • Ceiling speakers?

Motion in Bathrooms/Kitchen activates circulation hot water pump
  • I'd like to somehow activate a circulating water pump to get hot water flowing around my supply loop whenever anyone goes into a bathroom or is in the kitchen area so theres not a long delay for hot water. Not sure how best to do this. Motion sensors in island and each bathroom?

Surround Sound in Theater room
  • Awkward room shape. probably just run in wall wire for surround left, right, rear left/right and have bookshelf style speakers mounted to wall or floor stands. Do i want ceiling speakers for the new surround mode?
  • What else do i want to do? I will run multiple cat5/6, coax to each tv location, a couple wireless hot spots.

There's gotta be some more simple and useful things to do. we listen to a lot of music but whole house audio doesn't really interest us. with the living room open to the kitchen, we figure we can just blue tooth to that or a small blue tooth amplifier in kitchen. Looking for any ideas for how/where to do IR repeaters / lite automation / audio / anything clever really throw some ideas out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.57.26 PM.png
Views:	133
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2380082  

Last edited by ahreno; 03-24-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahreno View Post
I'm building my own house and about to start wiring. Floor plan is attached. Zwave will be what i use.

I dont want to get too crazy but i want to run enough wire for some simple and useful automation/ whatever you want to call it.

My main wire closet is the red linen closet. I'm open to change this if theres a reason.

I'd love some wiring ideas and things to do without getting too crazy.

Here's what I plan:

Surround Sound in the Great Room
  • great room is 9' wall at the left and right and peaks at 15'.
  • I have in floor conduit (one for power, one for other) and junction boxes run to under the couch area and also to kitchen island (Concrete floors so no adding more).
  • Thinking Side speakers in/at island and perhaps above 8' accodion door (not ideal but not many options).
  • Rear speakers on back wall (kind of far but again, no real options?
  • Ceiling speakers?

Motion in Bathrooms/Kitchen activates circulation hot water pump
  • I'd like to somehow activate a circulating water pump to get hot water flowing around my supply loop whenever anyone goes into a bathroom or is in the kitchen area so theres not a long delay for hot water. Not sure how best to do this. Motion sensors in island and each bathroom?

Surround Sound in Theater room
  • Awkward room shape. probably just run in wall wire for surround left, right, rear left/right and have bookshelf style speakers mounted to wall or floor stands. Do i want ceiling speakers for the new surround mode?
  • What else do i want to do? I will run multiple cat5/6, coax to each tv location, a couple wireless hot spots.

There's gotta be some more simple and useful things to do. we listen to a lot of music but whole house audio doesn't really interest us. with the living room open to the kitchen, we figure we can just blue tooth to that or a small blue tooth amplifier in kitchen. Looking for any ideas for how/where to do IR repeaters / lite automation / audio / anything clever really throw some ideas out!
I would advise 2x CAT6 cables and a coax from your central location to each room (two CAT6 isn't really needed everywhere, but as long as you are running one...). At a minimum, each bedroom, great room, office and garage. This will buy very important flexibility.

One thing for sure is that how you end up using technology in the home a year from now will not be the same as you are thinking today.

I think your plan for running speaker wire is good, but I would have to see a proper architectural plan, elevation, and sections in order to advise any further. Look at Sonos Connect to run music to your speakers.

I strongly suggest Lutron Radio RA2 lighting controls, at least in primary areas and be sure to include garage and outdoor with motion sensors as needed. This system can also be easily installed as a retrofit down the road, but I would personally put it at the top of my list day one. You can take a simple online course to become certified and access the programming. It is an excellent system.

Yes, you will probably want a control system for everything, which can also be retrofit. There are many options here depending on how much you like to tinker vs. just want things to work. Stay away from zwave etc unless yoiu really like to tinker and provide IT support.

My personal philosophy is that base systems should be able to operate stand-alone with 100% reliability. Rebooting a light switch is not ever acceptable (zwave). Then I layer a control system on top. For my needs, that control system for the moment can be simple and cheap/free (openhab), but I'll admit, I will probably end up with Crestron or similar at some point. The overall control system in my home is a bit of an experiment, but I'm finding that I REALLY like it. I also really like using voice commands and layering conditional logic on to the automation.. more than I expected.
funky54 likes this.
post #3 of 44 Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can tell you what my customers like most is WHA and Lighting scene control.

The audio systems I sell are Legrand On-Q and Nuvo. Having keypads for audio control is a really nice feature that keeps you from having to fumble with a phone or tablet just to get music playing. The keypads for each of these systems allow you to program your 4 favorite audio sources (like your favorite pandora or Spotify stations) and just press a button to turn it on, or control volume.

Lighting scene controllers are great; just press a button to turn on your desired light settings instead of using multiple switches and dimmers. With an automation controller you can couple them to certain events; like when you open the garage door coming home you can have certain lights come on. Or when you get ready to leave or go to bed, just press one button to turn everything off and lock the doors. You can also program lighting scenes that activate your WHA system for entertaining.

You can program lights to come on in the morning when you need to wake up, and also have it turn on your music throughout the house in the morning, or maybe just your bathroom music and lights.

The automation controller I use is pretty basic and reliable, and very easy to setup. It’s the Legrand Intuity controller. It will control Lighting, On-Q audio, HVAC, door locks, window shades, receptacles, security cameras, garage doors, etc... it will not integrate with any video distribution, nor the Nuvo audio systems. You’ll need something like Control4 or Crestron for that.

As for wiring, pretty much all of this is wireless except for audio and cameras. Window shade control is wireless with Intuity, but the shades can be wired for Power or battery operated.

Anyway, just some things to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unretarded, funky54 and ahreno like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 03-28-2018, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Bear with me it’s a long post. Glad you are thinking this before the home is built! You are in good shape because you are in control of what goes in the house or not. If you were to ask the builder to do the wiring for you then you would be spending twice or more than your budget (end of rant).

Looks like you have done most of the research just wanted add my thoughts.

Regarding Cat6 cables make sure the cables are NOT copper clad aluminum (Too much snake oil, Installers wanting to install Cat 6E!)
-Run 4X Cat 6 to below location
.Great Room TV area (example usage one for Tv, One for Xbox, One for IR control over network, Kodi)
.Office TV area
-Run 2X Cat 6 for each room (Kids Room, Guest, Garage)
-Run 1X for Garage Ceiling near garage door opener

I am not sure about the floor size from the plan. For wireless access points (UniFi offers easy to use products)
Run 1X Cat 6 for access points in Celling for below locations
- Garage
- Middle of Great Room
- Office?
Or you can go crazy and run cat6 to dishwasher, fridge, kitchen, laundry.!!!. Remember wiring is cheap before the drywall is up.

Alarm system:

-Run wire everywhere (Doors, Windows, Under Sink, etc...)
-DSC Power series or ELK-M1 panels offers lot of customization options
-You can make use of alarm motion sensors to trigger lights

Lights+Z-wave:
-Make sure you have neutral wires for switch locations as Z-wave switches require them
-Z-wave switches at present do support instant status updates. Make sure the switches you buy supports it.
-If code allows go for plastic junction boxes!!
-Philips Hue lighting (ZigBee) for under cabinet lights
-Lutron RA2 is the best system out there. I did visit a home where the number switches on the wall were limited to one or two per floor! Clean looking wall. Not sure how many z-wave devices you are planning to have.
-Z-wave Auto water shut off valve.

Security Cameras:
-Run 1X Cat 6 to each camera locations. Ensure you have junction box to hide the end points.
-Look at door bird/ring cameras for doorbell
-Blue Iris for recording

Garage Opener:
MyIQ

Conduits:
Run EMPTY conduits where ever you think you will need it for the future.

Window Blinds:
- Somfy window blinds.
-Run wires to run the window shade motors.

Remote Control:
Global Cache | iTach or Logitech Harmony Ulimate

Wall mounted tablet/IPAD:
Run cat6 and install USB power recessed type

SmartMirror:
For your bathroom using raspberry pi

Automation Controllers:
-Homeseer paid
-OpenHab/Home Assistant free
-Find a centre point in your home to install the controller. Z-wave devices connect to the controller without hoping on to others.

If you are a hands on person who can program and get your hands dirty then it will be a fun ride else Control4 or Crestron is a better option ($$$). All depends on how much time you have on your hands to tinker and tweak and enjoy.

Whole house audio:
If you are up for it, look at HTD.com they have products which doesn't require keypads and controlled over phone with multiple input sources.

Thermostat
Eco bee - Developer friendly
run enough wires for thermostat

red linen closet

-Hope you have enough ventilation to support Network switches, NAS/Video Servers etc.

Others for later
:
- If you security concerned you have to group devices into separate VLANS this is more important when you have cameras installed.
-Hope you have looked at network firewall. Remote access options to control your automation.

No idea how to automate the water flow for heat!

Last but not the least read this guide
www . aartech.ca/smart-home-wiring-guide.html

Good luck with your project.

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html

Last edited by avtvhdbass; 03-28-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added thermostat
post #5 of 44 Old 03-28-2018, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Ideas

If you are looking for ideas here is a list of things to do.

https://www. home-assistant.io/cookbook/

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
post #6 of 44 Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Where exactly do you run the wires for things like powered blinds and window/door sensors? Do they come out of the window/door frame?
post #7 of 44 Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdmj View Post
Where exactly do you run the wires for things like powered blinds and window/door sensors? Do they come out of the window/door frame?
They come out of the frame. Rarely do I ever say anything should be wireless but Triathlon shades really work great just on battery powered.

Before you wire you need to find out which side the motor is on, and decide what size wire you need. We've done jobs where the distance we were running required 12 AWG, so watch out.

To the OP: I have some home automation ideas here (click). I really like your idea about the hot water circulation on motion. Do you have some kind of input you on the circulation pump with which you can make that happen?

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #8 of 44 Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
To parrot the above. I am building a house now as well.

I had a Z-Wave, Honeywell Vista system in my last house and 40 Z-Wave items. Not as reliable as I'd like but basically worked. Good if budget is limited. Sometimes slow to respond, feedback is slow (if existant).

The home we are building now will have RADIO RA2 switches all around.

Yes 2 Cat 6 and one Coax to each TV.

Unifi (Ubiquiti) for internet WAP

Prewiring for blinds

All windows contacts will be hardwired (another poster here brought up window warranty issues). We are installing Pella Architectural series casement windows (crank open) and there are NO warranty issues per Pella rep as long as not drilling into sash but inside sill and countersinking magnet into sash is OK).

I took the Lutron Radio Ra2 courses and passed the test. I have the software now and am playing with it. Builders Low Voltage installer pushed Control4 but an not interested.
JT Babin likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #9 of 44 Old 03-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Not sure if you have Loxone in the US but I built a new house and moved in just two years ago, it’s the brand I used and it’s a complete smart home bar the sound system which I didn’t fancy doing but is wired for..... worth checking out.

This is for the lighting of the house, there’s a similar setup though smaller for the heating and another that controls the garage, everything can’t be controlled by your smart phone from anywhere in the world.

Though not the sort of install for a beginner or even your average electrician. lol

Nothing it can’t do.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #10 of 44 Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 573
You'd always think from these threads that there are two choices, which is completely hobbyist mode (OpenHAB on a Pi) or a Crestron/Control4 system. But there are points in between. Our CQC product, paired with pro level hardware like Radio RA2, gets you a commercial quality, well documented, point and click automation system and a very high quality hardware substrate underneath it. You can do very elaborate systems without writing a bit of code or ever opening a text editor. It's mostly pro oriented but you can DIY it, same as with Lutron's RA2 system.

And the nice thing about that separation of automation system from hardware is that you can get help with the hardware installation, but do the automation part yourself if you want to. And, if you move, you take your automation system with you (something the new owners would not likely want) and leave the hardware in place since it will work perfectly well as a standalone lighting system.
JT Babin likes this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #11 of 44 Old 04-01-2018, 04:48 PM

One other thing I wanted to mention about the Legrand Intuity system that I talked about above is that you the homeowner can call Legrand directly for tech support.

They can remotely login to the controller (with you providing them the password) and troubleshoot any issues.

post #12 of 44 Old 04-03-2018, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 171

One last suggestion. Make sure your in-ceiling speakers that are part of a local 5.1 are wired from rack to behind TV with a nice loop and then the tail goes to the ceiling speakers. That way it can be whole house audio and theater with a A/B switch or audio out from a local receiver...

Also add a 16/4 to the out side to tie future landscape speakers.
post #13 of 44 Old 04-05-2018, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDengineer View Post
I would advise 2x CAT6 cables and a coax from your central location to each room (two CAT6 isn't really needed everywhere, but as long as you are running one...). At a minimum, each bedroom, great room, office and garage. This will buy very important flexibility.
This seems quite common and will be my plan, at bare minimum

Quote:
I think your plan for running speaker wire is good, but I would have to see a proper architectural plan, elevation, and sections in order to advise any further. Look at Sonos Connect to run music to your speakers.
I really dont see me getting into whole house audio... i cant see the use for it besides the intercom. some speaker wire in wall and perhaps some ceiling mounted speakers in great room to provide some surround should suffice.

Heres a link to the floor plan if you're really interested.

Quote:
I strongly suggest Lutron Radio RA2 lighting controls, at least in primary areas and be sure to include garage and outdoor with motion sensors as needed.
Are these just switches? Do they work with Zwave? I did some quick research and they seem to just be switches but i may be missing something?

Quote:
Yes, you will probably want a control system for everything, which can also be retrofit. There are many options here depending on how much you like to tinker vs. just want things to work. Stay away from zwave etc unless yoiu really like to tinker and provide IT support.
I'm over my tinkering phase and just want to be able to do some basic, simple automation / tasks. basic and "just work" . I'm not afraid to tinker a little bit but something like an ElkM1G is not appealing to me anymore. Budget is what leans me towards Zwave and being able to tie into google/alexa

thanks for your reply!

Last edited by ahreno; 04-06-2018 at 12:13 AM.
post #14 of 44 Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Great reply. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtvhdbass View Post
Regarding Cat6
-Run 2X Cat 6 for each room (Kids Room, Guest, Garage)
-Run 1X for Garage Ceiling near garage door opener
where would you terminate the room cat6? where a tv would eventually go? somewhere next to a floor outlet?

Garage ceiling one should just terminate in a 4" junction box i'm guessing?

Quote:
I am not sure about the floor size from the plan. For wireless access points (UniFi offers easy to use products)
Run 1X Cat 6 for access points in Celling for below locations
- Garage
- Middle of Great Room
- Office?
Or you can go crazy and run cat6 to dishwasher, fridge, kitchen, laundry.!!!. Remember wiring is cheap before the drywall is up.
2700 square feet. Basically master cooridor is 18' wide, great room is 24' wide and guest cooridor is 16' wide
I will run a cat 6 to kitchen island, and a few other spots.

Quote:

Alarm system:

-Run wire everywhere (Doors, Windows, Under Sink, etc...)
-DSC Power series or ELK-M1 panels offers lot of customization options
-You can make use of alarm motion sensors to trigger lights
Probably going to skip hard wiring an alarm. i dont like the idea of drilling through my windows and i dont like the exposed window sensor. last house i remodeled i ran wire for alarm and i still haven't hooked it up 10 years later. I'm not too worried with the area i'm in. I may do some glass break sensors and will do some motion sensors.

Quote:
Lights+Z-wave:
-Z-wave switches at present do support instant status updates. Make sure the switches you buy supports it.
-If code allows go for plastic junction boxes!!
-Philips Hue lighting (ZigBee) for under cabinet lights
-Lutron RA2 is the best system out there. I did visit a home where the number switches on the wall were limited to one or two per floor! Clean looking wall. Not sure how many z-wave devices you are planning to have.
-Z-wave Auto water shut off valve.
Can you recommend a zwave switch to buy?
Why do you say plastic junction boxes? That is what i went with.
I'll probably get generic undercab and cove lighting from alli express. i've used it before, its fine and cheap. convince me not to i guess!

I dont think i understand the Lutron RA2 system. care to give an overview along with cost? You're second person to suggest it.

Quote:
Security Cameras:
-Run 1X Cat 6 to each camera locations. Ensure you have junction box to hide the end points.
I'm assuming just a standard outlet style jbox?

Quote:
Wall mounted tablet/IPAD:
Run cat6 and install USB power recessed type
what do you mean by USB power recessed type?

Quote:
If you are a hands on person who can program and get your hands dirty then it will be a fun ride else Control4 or Crestron is a better option ($$$). All depends on how much time you have on your hands to tinker and tweak and enjoy.
I have more time than money but im not looking to spend days setting this up. a few IFTTT type commands and i'll be happy.

Quote:
Thermostat
Eco bee - Developer friendly
run enough wires for thermostat
I do need to set up three thermostats to control my infloor heating, but i haven't quite started figuring that out yet!

Quote:

red linen closet

-Hope you have enough ventilation to support Network switches, NAS/Video Servers etc.
I'm planning to mount a small quiet bathroom fan in the closest.

Thank you!

Last edited by ahreno; 04-06-2018 at 12:12 AM.
post #15 of 44 Old 04-05-2018, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Babin View Post
To the OP: I have some home automation ideas here (click). I really like your idea about the hot water circulation on motion. Do you have some kind of input you on the circulation pump with which you can make that happen?
my plan was to just use a simple water circulation pump on a zwave outlet...then use either a motion sensor, occupancy sensor or if there are proximity sensors... to turn on the circ pump for 5 minutes.
post #16 of 44 Old 04-05-2018, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
The home we are building now will have RADIO RA2 switches all around.
i've asked the others above as well... Would you mind giving me an overview of this and what it all does and what i need? and maybe a general cost? it seems very highly recommended. I'll be researching it more as well.
post #17 of 44 Old 04-05-2018, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Not sure if you have Loxone in the US but I built a new house and moved in just two years ago, it’s the brand I used and it’s a complete smart home bar the sound system which I didn’t fancy doing but is wired for..... worth checking out.

This is for the lighting of the house, there’s a similar setup though smaller for the heating and another that controls the garage, everything can’t be controlled by your smart phone from anywhere in the world.

Though not the sort of install for a beginner or even your average electrician. lol

Nothing it can’t do.
while this makes my dick hard, it makes my head hurt even more. Nice setup but way more than i want or need.
post #18 of 44 Old 04-05-2018, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
You'd always think from these threads that there are two choices, which is completely hobbyist mode (OpenHAB on a Pi) or a Crestron/Control4 system. But there are points in between. Our CQC product, paired with pro level hardware like Radio RA2, gets you a commercial quality, well documented, point and click automation system and a very high quality hardware substrate underneath it. You can do very elaborate systems without writing a bit of code or ever opening a text editor. It's mostly pro oriented but you can DIY it, same as with Lutron's RA2 system.

And the nice thing about that separation of automation system from hardware is that you can get help with the hardware installation, but do the automation part yourself if you want to. And, if you move, you take your automation system with you (something the new owners would not likely want) and leave the hardware in place since it will work perfectly well as a standalone lighting system.
I remember this from my first remodel about 10 years ago. glad to see you guys still around!
post #19 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky54 View Post

One last suggestion. Make sure your in-ceiling speakers that are part of a local 5.1 are wired from rack to behind TV with a nice loop and then the tail goes to the ceiling speakers. That way it can be whole house audio and theater with a A/B switch or audio out from a local receiver...

Also add a 16/4 to the out side to tie future landscape speakers.
wow, great reply. thank you.

1. what do you have against 3 and 4 way switches? i definitely have plans for a couple.
2. why two data near front door?
3. why does it say "path" by kitchen island
4. is the service feed for the cat6 to enter the house or go out? same with RG6. My cable will probably enter the garage at the "bottom right" corner of the garage which is also where electricity will come in. Why should i have 3 cat6 on the exterior at one location?
5. Why run 16/4 to ceiling speakers instead of 16/2?
6. what do you have in the garage with the RG59 S & P

again, thanks for the diagram, i agree with most of it.
post #20 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
i've asked the others above as well... Would you mind giving me an overview of this and what it all does and what i need? and maybe a general cost? it seems very highly recommended. I'll be researching it more as well.
Still working that out and not doing the entire house (just main floor), some basement, Master. RadioRa2 Thermostats and Lutron Blinds... I'll have some numbers in a bit.

I took the RadioRA2 course and am going to buy some components and play with the software in my rental home.

But I believe the switches are $100 to $200. I have no idea what shades go for but I am prewiring for them.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #21 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Still working that out and not doing the entire house (just main floor), some basement, Master. RadioRa2 Thermostats and Lutron Blinds... I'll have some numbers in a bit.

I took the RadioRA2 course and am going to buy some components and play with the software in my rental home.

But I believe the switches are $100 to $200. I have no idea what shades go for but I am prewiring for them.
The RadioRA 2 software will price the system out for you. New homes should be using 6ND's which are $139/ea at MSRP less whatever discount you are getting. I do RA2 lighting design as a service, but if you or the OP have some marked up plans already I'll take a look and tell you if there's anything I would do differently, or anymore more to suggest.

Use Triathlon shades wherever you can. On Most windows it's between 700-1200/shade depending on size and fabric. Be careful of your 100 slot limit, lighting plus shades on a main floor can put you over that real quick.

post #22 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The RadioRA 2 software will price the system out for you. New homes should be using 6ND's which are $139/ea at MSRP less whatever discount you are getting. I do RA2 lighting design as a service, but if you or the OP have some marked up plans already I'll take a look and tell you if there's anything I would do differently, or anymore more to suggest.

Use Triathlon shades wherever you can. On Most windows it's between 700-1200/shade depending on size and fabric. Be careful of your 100 slot limit, lighting plus shades on a main floor can put you over that real quick.
is it just switches that are needed or is there a brain etc thats needed too
post #23 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
is it just switches that are needed or is there a brain etc thats needed too
For RA2? There's what they call a "Main Repeater" which is the brain of the system. It covers like 2000sq feet or something, and then you need aux repeaters to extend range beyond that. There's the switches, maybe 5 different ones depending on the lighting load, and then there's seeTouch keypads, which are used to set scenes and also replace what would have been a 4-5 gang box with a single gang kp.

post #24 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What sort of plans would you like? my electrical plan that shows lights and switch locations?

for $700-1200 i'll yell at my kid long enough to get her to close my blinds!

honestly, i just want to be able to use my phone or remote to dim/turn off cove lights, can lights, pendant lights, maybe under cab lights in great room/kitchen, lights in theater room and maybe lights in master bedroom.
post #25 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
What sort of plans would you like? my electrical plan that shows lights and switch locations?

for $700-1200 i'll yell at my kid long enough to get her to close my blinds!

honestly, i just want to be able to use my phone or remote to dim/turn off cove lights, can lights, pendant lights, maybe under cab lights in great room/kitchen, lights in theater room and maybe lights in master bedroom.
You can probably just get away with caseta or even z-wave. I have a chatbox on my website if you want to talk about it, I don't mean to jack your thread.

post #26 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Good to know. Thanks.

Telll me, are the Lutron battery powered shades as reliable. What’s the cost difference between hardwiring? I’m not wiring every window in the house.

Thanks.

post #27 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

Telll me, are the Lutron battery powered shades as reliable. What’s the cost difference between hardwiring? I’m not wiring every window in the house.

Thanks.

I think hardwiring is only for Power, and communication is wireless. That’s how the Q-Motion shades for the Legrand system are.

post #28 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

Thanks.
@brantmacga is correct. The wiring is just for power. It's marginally more expensive to hardwire them, but after buying all those D batteries maybe not. They are super reliable provided you are within range of the repeater. I've had nothing but great success with them.

post #29 of 44 Old 04-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
I remember this from my first remodel about 10 years ago. glad to see you guys still around!
Hey, use our product and maybe we'll still be around for the next one.
willmo likes this.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #30 of 44 Old 04-09-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 171
wow, great reply. thank you.

1. what do you have against 3 and 4 way switches? i definitely have plans for a couple.
If you want a light switch automated you have to control every switch on that circuit. So instaead of a 4 way, You use one switch... even though the load may not be physically to another wall... a switchover there can be programmed to control it like it was a 3 way. It keeps your investment very low and your walls much cleaner with one 1Gang with 4 or 6 buttons instead of a wall with 3 - 6 gang.
2. why two data near front door?
Most stations - doorbell/ intercom/cameras require two cat 6.
3. why does it say "path" by kitchen island
Not sure that was in the thumbnail when I imported it.
4. is the service feed for the cat6 to enter the house or go out? same with RG6. My cable will probably enter the garage at the "bottom right" corner of the garage which is also where electricity will come in. Why should i have 3 cat6 on the exterior at one location?
[/I]I placed it there as a ...place holder. It can go where ever the home requires.. usually by your D-Mark. You’ll want extra cat wire. Telephone, irrigation, pool control, gate....[/I]
5. Why run 16/4 to ceiling speakers instead of 16/2?
One wire labeled (example Family surround.. or Lanai, One wire with both stereo sides in it. Easier to install and easier to deal with, easier to label and easier to find at the head end. keeps them together.
6. what do you have in the garage with the RG59 S & P
Sorry.. That’s in-ceiling speaker PW. Don’t have to use today.. but nice to have in the future.

again, thanks for the diagram, i agree with most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page