RadioRa2 go from 3+ switches to 1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RadioRa2 go from 3+ switches to 1?

im about to convert my entire home to Radiora. originally i thought i would be able to take a location that had multiple switches into 1 switch. the person installing my radiora said its not possible. is that the case? im about to spend all this money and i dont want to be misinformed. i dont like having so many switches and id rather all the switched on 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You wouldn't want to remove the dimmers completely, as individual dimmers are necessary to update and modify light levels of individual dimmers in scenes. However, if you are really set on removing the dimmers from view, an electrician could relocate them to a less noticeable location. Or you might hide them from view with some kind of decoration. For example, I use RadioRA 1 in my theater. I setup the 6 dimmers behind the speakers, in a location that visitors do not see. At the entrance, I only have a single RadioRA control panel, like your picture. In most other key locations, I chose to setup one control panel with a series of dimmers on the side. This allows me to turn on an individual light to varied brightness levels for unique situations that are not captured in the 4 control buttons, which happens quite often.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The problem is that the house is wired so the switching occurs at the legacy switch location. The device that does the actual power control has to be in the same circuit. So, it would have to be relocated to hide it.
If the other side of the wall (if it's an internal wall) is, say, a closet, then it could be moved there and not seen. Then, like your picture shows, your single gang remote can remotely tell the hidden switch to turn on / off / dim.

You could replace the bulb with a smart bulb so the actual switching is within the bulb itself. More expensive bulb, some minor rewiring, and some drywall patching. Note that where you take the wires off the current switch and connect them is supposed to be accessible (not covered in drywall) for safety. So, possibly put in the single gang box, which will get crowded quick.

Another way is to rerun the controlled wire to a remote location where you have RadioRa2 switches out of sight.

Doable, but it will be a project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoney View Post
im about to convert my entire home to Radiora. originally i thought i would be able to take a location that had multiple switches into 1 switch. the person installing my radiora said its not possible. is that the case? im about to spend all this money and i dont want to be misinformed. i dont like having so many switches and id rather all the switched on 1
The other suggestions were dead on, you'll need to relocate so that the load bearing devices will be somewhere else. But..

Another option is to use these guys: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369769_ENG.pdf

They can only be used as switches they do not dim, and you have to have access to the box. Relocating is usually not as terrible as they make it sound, if you want dimmers, yeah it's your only options.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page