Brilliant: Smart Home Control Switches - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Brilliant: Smart Home Control Switches

Curious if anyone here has used the Brilliant Smart Home Switches?

I picked up two switches (one switch and two switch) to test out. Really not sure yet how I feel about, especially given the price tag. Two features that interested me were the intercom feature and alexa built in. In terms of those, it has been a little disappointing:

Intercom feature:

- the idea here is my wife or I could intercom into our kids rooms, in particular in the morning when they keep sleeping past their alarms. As of now, it looks like you can't drop in (i.e. when you intercom from one switch, the other switch will buzz but requires someone in that room to actually go to the switch and answer before you can start talking). There should be options to allow for this (separate for video and voice chat where you can turn this on and off).

- AV quality has been spotty. I expected a better connection tbh.

- Not an issue with the switch per se, but in general light switches are typically nowhere near eye level for adults. In order to use the intercom feature (specifically the video chat) you have to bend down to get to the switch level which can be a little awkward

Alexa:

- My kids have echo dots in their rooms. The idea was to hopefully replace those with these switches. However, the speakers on these switches are horrible. I know the company has stated as such that the speakers were not meant to be a focus, but to me this is a big miss. I now still need the echo dots in their rooms (which per the point below though it would still be needed even if the speakers were better)

-Unlike the echos, you cannot play music via Alexa on the Brilliant Switch. You can direct the Brilliant Switch to play music to Sonos speakers, but that is it. Once again, a big miss as at least for me, the idea would be for the Brilliant switch to replace the Echo Dots in my kids room. Right now in my son's room, I have Alexa on the Brilliant Switch shut off since he still has to go direct through his dot.

The switches are very easy to operate in terms of turning lights on / off / dim. Installation was easy as well. Likewise, no issues integrating with Alexa so I can control via voice commands. It is nice being able to add your own photos to rotate through on the switch. I haven't had a chance yet to really dive in to some of the other features (thermostat control, integration with video devices such as Ring, etc...)

At the price point being asked though, it is hard to see this really making it in the long run. Plus, we still don't know the reliability factor, which becomes much more important given each switch runs between (300-450)

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-23-2018, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I spent some money on these months ago as part of Kickstarter. Alot less than they came to market for. Also think they are WAY over priced. The design makes you have to go all in. I would be if they were half the money. Generic wifi and zwave stuff is 10% of the price, video intercom not withstanding.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Coming in late to this thread -- what are the alternatives to Brilliant? For integrating smart lights, doorbells, and thermostats, is there a hub product that you all like better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
http://atmoshome.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestms View Post
http://atmoshome.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s unfortunately named...
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Right now I have 4 brilliant switches installed. For the most part they work as expected. The issue has been I have received several bad switches. The switch I received for my son's room was bad. I was able to get a replacement and everything worked fine. The switch I got for my daughter's room was bad. They sent me a replacement and that one was bad as well. Waiting on the replacement of the replacement now... I am still on the fence about whether or not the switches are worth the cost (keeping in mind this is more than just a light switch).

Cheers
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I just installed a 2 gang unit in my dining room yesterday.

They look great, the functionality seems pretty good, but I need to pick up a smart things hub to be able to integrate all of my Lutron Caseta switches.

If you're happy plalying in the Sonos sandbox for your music, then I think these are good enough for most people.

I'm eventually going to set up a much more expensive and complex Control4 system so that I can integrate all of my gear and my entire home, but I just wanted to play with the Brilliant a bit to see what it has to offer.

Main System: Vizio P70 4K TV. Selah Vigore Speakers. KEF Q100 Rear L/R, Mirage BPS 400 LFE Sub. (2x)Rythmik FM8 Subs. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver. Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Integrated (2 channel). Oppo BDP-103. Zappiti Mini 4K HDR. GIK 242 Panels, Tri Traps, Monster Bass Trap. Various Vicoustic Desktop: Dynaudio BM6A mkII. Paradigm SUB10 w/ PBK. Cambridge DACMagic+ DAC. GIK 242 Panels, Monster Bass Trap Master Bedroom: Vizio M55 4K HDR. BG Radia In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers (5.2.2). NAD T758v3 Receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page