List of controllable home functions? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
My wife strings up the lights, grabs one of the receptacles and plugs the lights in. Then, from the myServer Scheduled Tasks consumer user interface, she adds the device to a house mode (Sleep vs. Wake up), or schedules by time of day, weekend, random, she wants the light string to work.
And then I go change it on her just to mess with her setup then she calls me a "control freak". Then she changes it back. Something like that...
And that's why it's niche. Most people's eyes glaze over when you tell when about adding devices to a Scheduled Tasks list interface, and then there's people like me, for whom it totally makes sense, but I'm more like, eh, seems more complicated than necessary if I can control it with a mechanical timer. Maybe someday I'll automate something just to play with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 11-29-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 91
"And that's why it's niche. Most people's eyes glaze over when you tell when about adding devices to a Scheduled Tasks list interface, and then there's people like me, for whom it totally makes sense, but I'm more like, eh, seems more complicated than necessary if I can control it with a mechanical timer. Maybe someday I'll automate something just to play with it.
"
Well, we have installed and supported systems in many, many homes. With all kinds of end user experience levels. Not one has had an issue with adding a "Scheduled Task" to their system. It's pretty intuitive.

What device do you want to control, what do you want it to do (turn on or off?), When do you want to do it. Save.
Keep in mind the user interface is completely customizable so it can be tailered to that end users view of intuitive. The act of interviewing and observing how a person is trying to use the system, and then tweeking it for their gaps, gives the end user ownership of the process and that makes it less of an obstacle.

Now, it does take complexity to make those user experience modifications, but much easier than ever before. That's a one and done effort on most installs. Our DIY'rs tweek it regularly because that's what they enjoy to do.

At the same time in history, the smart phone has dominated the phone industry. And they are far more complicated to use. Are they Niche?

Mechanical timer? hmmm, been a while since I saw one of those...I think they are niche

Last edited by smoothtlk; 11-29-2018 at 07:51 AM.
post #33 of 38 Old 11-29-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
Well, we have installed and supported systems in many, many homes. With all kinds of end user experience levels. Not one has had an issue with adding a "Scheduled Task" to their system. It's pretty intuitive.
And most people don't have the dough to have something professionally installed. This is why this stuff is niche. There isn't a compelling use case for it, and it's either complicated, or it's expensive to pay someone to deal with the complicated parts.

Quote:
At the same time in history, the smart phone has dominated the phone industry. And they are far more complicated to use. Are they Niche?

Mechanical timer? hmmm, been a while since I saw one of those...I think they are niche
There's millions of timers with little dials on them that plug into the wall and do stuff. Christmas lights, lamps, dehumidifiers, etc. Smartphones are a totally different animal than home automation. The smartphone is the device and of itself, not a system of different devices that have to somehow work together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 11-29-2018, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 9
There's millions of timers with little dials on them that plug into the wall and do stuff. Christmas lights, lamps, dehumidifiers, etc. Smartphones are a totally different animal than home automation. The smartphone is the device and of itself, not a system of different devices that have to somehow work together.[/QUOTE]

Precisely. Just because it’s go an app doesn’t make it smart. Properly implemented home automation should really use minimal smart phone input. Maybe just streaming the music or flinging an image to a screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 38 Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 91
"The smartphone is the device and of itself, not a system of different devices that have to somehow work together."
Hmmm, there are millions of servers, apps, version dependencies, network providers, services, cell antennas that somehow work together.
and someone built, installed and support these.

a smartphone on it's own is a pretty dumb device.

Anyway, let's agree to come back in five years and see what's happenin.

See you then
post #36 of 38 Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
Precisely. Just because it’s go an app doesn’t make it smart. Properly implemented home automation should really use minimal smart phone input. Maybe just streaming the music or flinging an image to a screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a wide misconception, partly because so many people not familiar with home automation think of it purely in control terms. They don't understand that two way control of devices means that it's also a powerful information source. Our customers can have wall mounted touch screens in a couple rooms of the house that can provide always on, always available information. It's not just about phones. You can see the status of your entire house in a glance, immediately get to a web cam feed to see who is at the door, which popped up because the door bell was pressed. One click gets you weather info. You can browse your media and make a selection, and do all of the setup to make it play back correctly and control that playback, with metadata.

And of course if you have guests, a kiosk style touch screen is something that everyone can have safe access to. And, unlike voice commands, guests don't have to take a course before they can do anything in your home. A well designed touch screen is something that anyone should be able to walk up to and find what they want quickly, without having to have training.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #37 of 38 Old 11-29-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
Right, and then you've got to integrate something with something else, and that's where it all falls apart. Whether it's a smartphone app, Alexa, or a custom system with touchscreens or whatnot, it's all got to work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
And of course if you have guests, a kiosk style touch screen is something that everyone can have safe access to. And, unlike voice commands, guests don't have to take a course before they can do anything in your home. A well designed touch screen is something that anyone should be able to walk up to and find what they want quickly, without having to have training.
That's great for high-end custom systems, but it doesn't really translate to the masses.
post #38 of 38 Old 11-30-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That's great for high-end custom systems, but it doesn't really translate to the masses.
That's not particularly high end. It can be done fairly reasonably.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page