• 2 Post By funky54
  • 1 Post By brantmacga

post #1 of 9 Old 01-06-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Setup

Hi everyone, I am a builder and I am looking for a home automation system I can sell with my homes to customers. I have done extensive research and decided to purchase a hubitat system, but I can be talked into something else. To start I would like to do the following. I would be very appreciative if someone can tell me what to buy for hardware and software to make this work.

This is for a 7000 sqft home plus basement. I am willing to purchase high end hardware and software to make over reliable.

I plan on using radiora 2 switches and dimmers and lutron shades with the system.

Ok this is what I would like to attempt.

When someone walks into a man cave it detects that specific person and does the following. Changes the TV's to specific channels, changes the lights to desired color and brightness, turns on sonos to a specific station, and sets the shades at a certain level. Possibly a voice comes on and says something like a greeting and asks the owner if he needs anything. Of course if it detects anyone else then all above would go to that persons choice of specifics.

I read the best way to do this is with beacons but I read that hubitat doesn't support beacons. So, what do I need to buy to make all this work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 115
look at IFTTT. See if any of those recipes can be incorporated somehow into Hubitat.
https://ifttt.com/hubitat
post #3 of 9 Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Maybe you've already thought of this, but in case you haven't, thought i'd share my opinion as an electrical contractor.

I'd never heard of Hubitat until this thread; checked out their website, looks like a DIY solution. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about warranty & support. Are you gonna roll a truck every time something goes wrong? Or provide any phone support?

If I were you, I'd find a local integrator to work with and use whatever system they sell. It looks like you're building this on spec? That's a pretty highly detailed system setup to install in a spec home, and you're likely to spend a lot of money you won't get back unless you find just the right customer.

Again, just my opinion, but i'd go with a more basic production home focused system and give the customer the option of upgrading to a more advanced setup. Pre-wire for networking & audio, and maybe install something like a Control4 CA-1 or Legrand Intuity connected to the locks, security, shades, & lighting systems (and audio if you want to put that in now). Those are the systems that add value to a wide variety of people; having the TV know who's in the room is a pretty limited customer base. Finishing out a spec home basement as a "man cave" sounds like an equally risky idea. Idk maybe your market research has told you this is what people want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1 brantmacga

I think you will be rolling a truck atleast once a month, forever
post #5 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 172
For a spec home you want “Drama Automation”.

By that I mean you want WOW factor along with a touch of practicality. I would suggest for a spec four sub systems, Lighting, Security, Audio and Automated Window treatment. A simple Network is an absolute.

Your realitor and potential buyer arrives, they press at the front door, as they walk in, a single light switch button engraved “Arrive” this single, simple press of a button turns on the lighting in the main common areas seen at the entrance. These are slightly delayed for drama, say 1-2 seconds. Next a large window treatment like a curtain or shade raises. At the same time your security system is disarmed and a voice says “security disarmed” (Realtor feature only, not for a home owner) last that same single press of a button turns on soft music in that main area.

As the realtor and party move through the home.. (say midway on the stairs to the second story or possibly the hall that leads to a separate area like a family room or master bed) a ceiling sensor picks up the parties movement and turns with a slight delay, audio and a few lights in this new space.

As the party leaves the home the Realtor presses an engraved button on the light switch labeled “Away” this arms the security, turns off the lights, curtain and audio.

You want to control a sparse amount of lighting.. make it count. Maybe just chandeliers, sconces or just some recessed lights. It’s not nessasary to Control every light. 12 controllable dimmers is usually about right, start with say 3-4 audio zones. One or two large drapes or shades. That’s all you need to leave the potential home owner with the feel or idea of what a futuristic modern home can do. Let them buy and add the bulk for the way they live. You don’t want to sell the expensive steak.. just the sizzle and the smell.

Crestron, Control4, Elan... a real processor that is serviceable, expandable and reliable. Expect to pay $8k to 30K for a decent Prewire and Trim. Be prepared to pay 12k to 30k for a base system.

The solution I’m talking about would be for a home at 1 million to 3 million. 4000’ to 8000’ If the home is bigger or the price point higher... it will go up. That’s what it costs. If that’s not exceptable, cut the audio. Don’t cut the prewire and trim. The home owner will need it.

One more word of advice. Most electricians “think” they get controlled dimmers and centralized lighting but sadly they usually don’t. Make your Intergrator and electricians work together, make them listen to each other. Don’t pay your electrician by the drop... YOU DO NO NOT WANT GIANT BANKS OF SWITCHES ON YOUR BEAUTIFUL WALLS. And neither does your potential buyer.
ezlotogura and ahard like this.

Last edited by funky54; 01-08-2019 at 03:19 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2019, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I am now actively researching zipato. Is anyone familiar with it
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM

New Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thank you. I am now actively researching zipato. Is anyone familiar with it

Another system I hadn’t heard of.....

I would again stress to you something more mainstream ..... Control4, Alarm.com, or Legrand Intuity .

All of those systems do everything Zipato does.

There are Control4 installers here I think this could give you some better insight to how it works. I do know it has a yearly fee of around $100. I’ve worked with a local integrator as the EC installing their devices, so I’m somewhat familiar with all their products.

Legrand Intuity is built for you; a production home builder. That’s what I sell/install, and it’s extremely affordable with no monthly fees whatsoever. It does security, IP cameras, thermostat, Z-wave door locks, garage doors, Q-motion shades, On-Q audio, video doorbell, intercom, & lighting control. They have a really slick iPad wall mount that has built-in intercom and audio zone controls.

What I like most about it is that if a homeowner has an issue, they can call Legrand directly for customer support. All of their components install inside a structured media enclosure that mounts flush in the wall. Their lighting controls also work with many 3rd party systems like Control4, Crestron, etc.... They have apps for both iOS and Android. They also have a web portal, which is nice when someone calls and wants me to setup a new scene, or of the system needs to be rebooted. I don’t have to send a truck for that.

https://www.legrand.us/home-automation.aspx

It’s worth taking a look at. You can call them and have a local Legrand rep discuss it with you. It’s not what I would call a “high end” system, but it does all of the basics reliably. I just got into a couple of years ago and have been selling them on most all custom homes I do. Support from Legrand has been awesome.

You could easily start with something very basic like lighting controls, door locks, audio, and security, and pre-wire for the rest. Offer an up-sell package for more options.

Lutron also has some very nice lighting & shade control systems that are more advanced than Legrand; I’d say very equal to what you can get from Control4, and integrate with other systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahard likes this.

Last edited by brantmacga; 01-11-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. What do you use for AV on the legrand system.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-12-2019, 02:39 PM

New Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks for the reply. What do you use for AV on the legrand system.

Intuity has controls for audio, but there is no video component. It was originally on the roadmap but that has since been abandoned. The predecessor to Intuity, Unity, had on-screen controls that could be connected to any video source (similar to Control4), but no actual way to control video sources. The primary focus has been on app-based control whether through a phone, tablet, or the Intuity Command Center (iPad mount).

For audio, you have to use their On-Q digital audio system (which is also compatible with Alarm.com). Intuity allows you to add audio to a scene setup, and you can also control the volume of any source within Intuity. There is a separate iOS/Android app for the On-Q audio system to select sources. A typical audio scene might be something like, at 6am, “turn on the bathroom lights to 40% and turn on bathroom audio to 20%” for a wake-up scenario.

Legrand also makes Nuvo, which at this time doesn’t interface with Intuity, but supposedly it’s “coming soon”. Speaking with my Legrand rep last week, I was told their national sales conference is on Jan 18, after which point they’ll announce any new features for the year. I hope Nuvo integration is one of them. On-Q is nice, Nuvo is better. I’d say that I sell an equal amount of each; On-Q works just fine for most installations but is limited to 4 global sources + 1 local source and 16 zones. Whereas Nuvo has a dedicated streaming & local source source for each zone. Nuvo also has a sound bar with wireless sub and tabletop speakers; my typical Nuvo install now is a sound bar for the living room, and a 3-zone player to cover the kitchen, master bath or bedroom, and outdoor zone.

Intuity has a 4-button scene control switch that I like to use; the only downside is that they do not offer customizable buttons like Lutron, Control4, etc.... They’re simply numbered 1-4; I’ve asked about having this option but it’s not something they’re looking at as far as I know. The older Wattstopper RFLC devices have this option so maybe one day we’ll see that added, but I suspect the reality is, they want you to upgrade to their Vantage line if you want that.

Speaking of Vantage, if you really want something spectacular, that’s another system you should consider. The Equinox control devices look incredible, and they also have the Adorne line available with Vantage compatibility now. You’re just going to spend a lot more money for it, and you need to work with a dealer. For Intuity, any electrical contractor can purchase it through their Legrand supplier; they offer online training which allows you to have a “certified install” that increases the warranty period on equipment to 5 years. And again, Legrand will support your installation through their own corporate tech support channel. And I don’t know how deep corporate support goes with other brands, but I can tell you the couple of times I’ve had issues, my Legrand rep was readily available to me, and came on-site at the project to help me. In my experience they’ve been a great company to work with.

I wanted to clarify one other thing; Legrand offers a video doorbell that works with Intuity, but there is no 2-way communication remotely through the app like some other services offer. It will alert you that someone has rang the bell, and you can see the video feed from anywhere and unlock the door, but you cannot talk to them via the app. You can only initiate an intercom communication from within the house via the Intuity Command Center or one of their intercom devices in the house. The video doorbell has an analog camera that is a carry-over from the Unity system, but you can connect this camera to the CM2002 IP video server to get the feed over the network. That also allows you to connect it to their CM7120 NVR for local recording of video; and the CM7120 also has an option for cloud backups via Dropbox. And no monthly fees for any of this; that’s the best selling point for me. You make a one-time investment in the system and never spend another dollar.

Something I do like about their intercom system is that it can be connected to a mag-strike kit for unlocking the door. I actually use this at my office so we can unlock the door in the vestibule if someone shows up that needs to come inside. I have the HDMI output of a CM7120 connected to some TV’s in different offices and the break room so if no one is at the front office, we can remotely let a guest in; and you’re always able to monitor cameras from inside the office. The same would apply from within a house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by brantmacga; 01-12-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page