X10 and Z-Wave Controller(s), Other Stuff? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 83
X10 and Z-Wave Controller(s), Other Stuff?

Hi All,

Well, it appears AVS Forum has about the only extant, non-vendor-specific home automation forum. Good ol' AVS Forum, eh?

Have an investment in X10 I cannot afford to simply toss. Not at $650 or more just for wall switches, and dimmer and appliance modules. I'm probably going to acquire an XTBR to overcome what I suspect are signal suckers killing my X10 system's performance. Next I want to get to work on two things:

1. A controller with more sophistication than merely time-of-day on/off
  2. Beginning to transition to Z-Wave

I've looked at, for example, Universal Devices' ISY controller. Kind of spendy, though, at $309 ($314 w/IR). Plus uses client-side Java for some operations (*shudder*). Also looked a Vera (aka: Mi Casa Verde), but that one looks like it requires you work through their web portal?

What I'd like is a controller that can do both X10 and Z-Wave, that allows me access via iPhone and iPad from outside the home without being dependent upon a vendor's portal, and allows local configuration and control with any old browser I choose. (I like the way Synology handles this. You can go through their portal, use their portal only to establish a connection, or connect directly via your public IP.)

Would like do to things like schedule lighting dependant upon input from light sensors--or at least relative to sunset/sunrise. With things like introducing on/off time randomization to simulate a residence being occupied. Would like to be able to create sequences/scenarios, save them, and activate them at will.

Our X10 has an IR receiver with which we can control the lights where our home theatre is set up, using the same universal remotes we use to control everything else. Very handy. Don't want to lose that. The UD device has that, but, like I said: Expensive.

So looking for directions to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page