Motorized Shades for Large Window Wall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By westcojack
  • 1 Post By Deane Johnson

post #1 of 19 Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motorized Shades for Large Window Wall

Hi all...

Having a hard time finding local window treatment "experts" that has a solution for our problem:

We have a wall of 6 windows: 2 rows of 3 windows

W W W
W W W

Each window is 48x96” with a round/arch-top. We are looking for a motorized shade solution that we can conceal in the ceiling which is 20' tall. We are hoping for 3 motorized roller shades that are ~60x246”.

The rest of the house is Insteon-based.

Any ideas if what we're trying to do is possible?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooz View Post
Hi all...

Having a hard time finding local window treatment "experts" that has a solution for our problem:

We have a wall of 6 windows: 2 rows of 3 windows

W W W
W W W

Each window is 48x96” with a round/arch-top. We are looking for a motorized shade solution that we can conceal in the ceiling which is 20' tall. We are hoping for 3 motorized roller shades that are ~60x246”.

The rest of the house is Insteon-based.

Any ideas if what we're trying to do is possible?

Thanks!
https://www.avoutlet.com/
Id contact Ken. He was super helpful. Grant it I had a much easier situation but he gave me CAD Drawings when needed, tons of samples, etc. He works mostly with Somfy RTS - not sure how those play with Insteon.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you find a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-16-2019, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcojack View Post
Did you find a solution?

not yet
post #5 of 19 Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The harder issue is the hardware itself.
The control system there are several that will control Insteon and Somfy. Or Insteon and Lutron. Or Insteon and Z-Wave.

Somfy motors are available that should have no issue with the problem.
Dependent on the fabric weight you choose, you might need 110 volt plus the control wires in the ceiling.
I assume you are looking for three motors: two stacked windows per motor?
Will the fabric when extended just go to the bottom of the bottom window? Or will it go further (down the the floor?) for cosmetics?
Ideal motor if you are able to wire is Somfy RS485 blinds that provide positive status of position back to the control system.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-17-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Are you pre-wired for power at the shades?

I have no experience with them, but people seem to like the Bali shades at Costco which are cheap. They also appear to be Z-wave so you could use an ISY and keep the Insteon
post #7 of 19 Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM

+1 smoothtlk

I'd go with 120v Somfy, you will need a workhorse motor, etc., and (sorry, I know nothing about Insteon), but Insteon 2444-222 Micro Open/Close Motor Control Module may work well for each group.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The real problem your going to have is the tubes. That much weight will sag over time and look terrible. Crestron's tubes are really thick with 10 times more internal ribs for strength.

The avbasic tubes are very very thin walled. I'm not sure that's going to work for you.

I don't know a lot about somfy tubes.

Revision... sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I assumed you meant 96 long. At 48" long there is less concern. I would however try to choose a fabric that has a higher thread count but a low weight. An 8' roll isn't a big deal. But a lighter weight material will help whatever motors you choose.

Last edited by funky54; 01-19-2019 at 10:08 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If I'm reading your post correct, you're looking at a drop of 246". I suspect you will have a tough time, or perhaps impossible time, finding a shade system that can handle that sort of drop. There would be a massive amount of shade fabric to roll up on the roller. The roll would become too fat.

BTX is a company that does the tough stuff, but I would guess they'll probably tell you the same thing.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Here's a photo to help clarify my scenario.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	838.8 KB
ID:	2514452  
post #11 of 19 Old 01-22-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking at the direction the joists are going, there is no place to put the motor in the ceiling as the motor cavity would have to be cut into the joists. The motors will have to be installed to the wall above the windows. Because the windows go right to the floor, you can't install the motor at the floor and pull up either.

So, somfy 110v motors mounted tight to the drywall ceiling look like the least obtrusive option. You will have to get a quote that includes the fabric weight to determine what scale motor / drive tube

Sonesse® ULTRA 50 RS485 looks like it might be applicable without doing any measurements or calculations. Which means 110 volt and control cable would be required at each motor location.

You also would need to determine if the top bank is on separate motors than the lower bank.

Will there be any other window treatments? Valance above that could hide the motor / tube / fabric? Possibly there is a ledger board going across the top to hide all the motors? Does your architect have any thoughts?

Is the shades for light control or privacy? If privacy - maybe you only need the bottom windows to be covered? My home has a 37' tall bank of stacked windows...since it doesn't face homes (like yours), there is no need for shades.

Strong suggestion is to hire a somfy dealer to help you with this (or Lutron etc). The next level of decision requires research and work to calculate what you really need. Looking that the framing of the house looks done, and it looks like they are putting brick on the exterior (scaffolding...) HVAC and electrical are next up and will come quick.

Last edited by smoothtlk; 01-22-2019 at 06:50 AM.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-22-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 529
have you looked into hunter Douglass PowerView? I have similar windows to what you have but are rectangles. size is 57" wide by 80" long. All of my windows are that size. Definitely not cheap roughly $2500 each.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM

Maybe control the upper 3 windows with a single motor and the shades go to the bottom of the these windows.
Use 3 motors on the bottom with the shades starting from the lower end of the top shades.
Rex Anderson likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Whatever brand you choose, I would put 6 shades on that wall, one for each window. Unless you elect not to cover the door, then only 5.

It's possible you might have a tough time with fabric width if you try to find something to do the top group as one. Anytime you get over about 120 inches in width, the possibilities become scarce. They begin drying up over about 104 inches. BTX might seam several pieces together, but the seam is sort of ugly, IMO.

I really think it goes back to doing a shade per window and not buying a bunch of problems trying to get it configured.
Rex Anderson likes this.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 AM

Sorry, I should have explained better.

There will be only a single tube on top but 3 shades, so the top has a single motor, but looks like 3 shades.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-23-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Y, like what westcojack is suggesting, then a full room width valance board could hide the motor / tube / three shades that would be IMHO the closest one will get to hiding the tubes in the ceiling (which wouldn't work due to the joist configuration without major issues and structure fixes - the strength of the joists are the bottom chord that would be then broken). The valance could be hinged to allow for shade cleaning, installation and servicing.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 304
12’ tall Lutron Sivoia QS shades in a headrail (with another 12’ of window above them)

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #18 of 19 Old 03-01-2019, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I too would recommend 6 rollers. Call Lutron and get a recommendation from there local rep. I've wired up window walls where the height was 18 ft and each bay was between 4-5 ft. It's a low voltage system which I consider a plus, get the Ra2 system and integrate it to lighting scenes or timeclock events.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-01-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are the top of the windows level? if not, that will add another problem of the roller has to be level. You might have to "pull up" the top bank. Or just do the bottom windows for privacy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
insteon , motorized , shades

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page