Anyone using DoorBird? Ring Elite door bell? What do you think? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 01-24-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Anyone using DoorBird? Ring Elite door bell? What do you think?

What's the skinny on these.

Doorbird ($378) appears to have some reliability issues and the Ring Elite ($499) is a closed system and not likely to be controlled by a 3rd party control system.

Both are Hardwired ethernet (I won't buy wifi).

Anyone have any experience?

Doorbird's model has not been upgraded in long time... Still 720P. But Ring Elite is 1080P.

Leaning Ring Elite and then change out down the road if need be.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I’m in a similar situation. I really want to like the doorbird - more open, I can connect it to my existing NVR, but I’ve heard mixed things about support, firmware updates, and have heard similar reliability issues. I’m also concerned about the longer term viability of a smaller company trying to compete with Google (nest) and Amazon (ring). But I’d love to be proven wrong by people who had positive experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 35 Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
I have arlo doorbell w/arlo vidcams and its nice being wireless. also free for cloud storage for a week or 2 with saving as you go. ring doorbell sucks tho...it notifies phone or app probably 5 seconds too late...but it is all recorded for safety...I have a half dozen cameras that cover front yard with audio so I dont rely on doorbell...most fedex/ups/usps dont hit the button anyways.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 93
TheBland,
You would be best off in your situation to use your wired IP cameras and a traditional doorbell triggering the ELK security panel that talks to myServer.
Ring is a closed system. Doorbell has an API for integration. Both are cloud based which is less than ideal.
If you also want a doorbell camera, then Mobotix is higher quality, local video, and integrates well.
post #5 of 35 Old 01-25-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Mobotix is a quality solution as mentioned above. As is 2n Helios https://www.2nusa.com/en_US/products/intercoms - more expensive but really a nice piece of equipment. Can integrate into various control systems if you want. IP camera. PoE. Tons of custom options within the UI re: mic quality, video playback, local recording, etc. They have their own touchscreens if you want to wall mount those for control within your house. They can send the call to your phone when you are away from home, etc.

I have no experience with Hikvision but they are a huge camera company and they have door stations: https://us.hikvision.com/en/products...m/door-station - not sure if they are all hardwired, I know the Dahua version is wifi.
post #6 of 35 Old 01-25-2019, 06:57 AM

Those 2N units look nice, and 2N is owned by Axis, which is a plus. Unfortunately they also have Axis-level pricing. Looks like their basic door unit is around $1,000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 35 Old 01-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
Those 2N units look nice, and 2N is owned by Axis, which is a plus. Unfortunately they also have Axis-level pricing. Looks like their basic door unit is around $1,000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Their base model is $665

https://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/2n...YaAqWVEALw_wcB

I agree its more than the Ring but it is an open platform. I would not worry too much about 1080p vs 720p or whatever for a doorbell camera. you'll make out someone's face regardless. My doorstation has a low resolution - just food for thought. also some cameras with lower resolution can be better for low light situations in the evening - the sensor is sometimes more important then chasing megapixels.

how do you plan on lighting the area? IRs? front door light fixtures?
post #8 of 35 Old 01-25-2019, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
Their base model is $665

https://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/2n...YaAqWVEALw_wcB

I agree its more than the Ring but it is an open platform. I would not worry too much about 1080p vs 720p or whatever for a doorbell camera. you'll make out someone's face regardless. My doorstation has a low resolution - just food for thought. also some cameras with lower resolution can be better for low light situations in the evening - the sensor is sometimes more important then chasing megapixels.

how do you plan on lighting the area? IRs? front door light fixtures?

Nice looking unit. Anyone have experience with one?

Lighted area at front door. I take it, theres no night IR vision help for early morning or late at night?

Not many dealers - easy to set up?

Thanks!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #9 of 35 Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Nice looking unit. Anyone have experience with one?

Lighted area at front door. I take it, theres no night IR vision help for early morning or late at night?

Not many dealers - easy to set up?

Thanks!
So I have a Holovision door station that is powered by https://www.2nusa.com/en_US/document...d-79ab343730b4

The audio/video is all controlled via the UI of the 2n device and its slick with tons of features and I was able to set it up with the provided Wiki's on the 2n site. I have no idea if the Base product runs the same UI and program. I have control4 so its all tied together under that platform to ring a doorbell sound on speakers in my house, etc. My Holo product has IR but yes if you pick a device without IR you need to consider some options on how to light the area.
thebland likes this.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-25-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
TheBland,
You would be best off in your situation to use your wired IP cameras and a traditional doorbell triggering the ELK security panel that talks to myServer.
Ring is a closed system. Doorbell has an API for integration. Both are cloud based which is less than ideal.
If you also want a doorbell camera, then Mobotix is higher quality, local video, and integrates well.
Nice looking unit. Ever install one?

post #11 of 35 Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Nice looking unit. Ever install one?
Mobotix? We support it. Wrote a driver for it for another AVSForum customer. Works well. Good stuff.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-26-2019, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
Mobotix? We support it. Wrote a driver for it for another AVSForum customer. Works well. Good stuff.
I’m not a tech guy but this looks feature rich (open doors, etc). I just want it to ring door bell, Video camera via app (for now). I have come entiinal doorbell system in place (have cat5, wiring for conventional door bell at door as well).

I want to install and set up and use even if months before we tie into a control system. Possible? I assume it has an app.

Thanks.

post #13 of 35 Old 01-30-2019, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Doorbird has . new replacement for the D101 coming out soon - D11. This one is 1080P and more features.

Should be a solid piece. I'm in!

post #14 of 35 Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Where did you find out about the D11? I can’t find any reference to it on the doorbird website (which is pretty awful).

post #15 of 35 Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I called them.

post #16 of 35 Old 01-30-2019, 12:20 PM

That’s one way to get info!

I guess I’ll sit tight until I see that announced. Sounds nice.

post #17 of 35 Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I own 2 door birds. At the front gate and at front door. I only heard of it due to control 4 integration. With my 2 screens control 4 if

A) the ring is too soft. I had to get a extra chime for it to be heard over tv noise etc. now it works fine. The ring space is 6000 sq ft

B) it’s solid and it stands out in my neighborhood where everyone has a video doorbell and cameras

C) I went through the same asks. 1080 p. 4 k hdr etc etc. but in reality the 720 p is fine since u almost answer immediately once it rings

D) what I would be more useful for me is if a small window pops up while watching tv if it rings

E) notifications on phone are ok. I have to explore if it can show up on my phones while I’m at work

F) if you can really explore all its features and get it installed well. I think it is good product

H my ht project and home automation is still going on so I can keep u updated. Let me know
post #18 of 35 Old 02-06-2019, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdd View Post
I own 2 door birds. At the front gate and at front door. I only heard of it due to control 4 integration. With my 2 screens control 4 if

A) the ring is too soft. I had to get a extra chime for it to be heard over tv noise etc. now it works fine. The ring space is 6000 sq ft

B) it’s solid and it stands out in my neighborhood where everyone has a video doorbell and cameras

C) I went through the same asks. 1080 p. 4 k hdr etc etc. but in reality the 720 p is fine since u almost answer immediately once it rings

D) what I would be more useful for me is if a small window pops up while watching tv if it rings

E) notifications on phone are ok. I have to explore if it can show up on my phones while I’m at work

F) if you can really explore all its features and get it installed well. I think it is good product

H my ht project and home automation is still going on so I can keep u updated. Let me know

Good info. Are you using the Doorbird brand chime? I thought it was able to connect to a conventional chime? I have Cat and low voltage wire at doorbell. I may send it to whole house audio system (if possible)

Glad 720P is OK.

I assume all iOS devices get a 'pop-up' when it rings?

I am using Crestron in my house. I'll have to see how they will integrate.

But PQ is good enough? Night vision OK?

Thanks for the detailed post!

post #19 of 35 Old 02-06-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Good info. Are you using the Doorbird brand chime? I thought it was able to connect to a conventional chime? I have Cat and low voltage wire at doorbell. I may send it to whole house audio system (if possible)

Glad 720P is OK.

I assume all iOS devices get a 'pop-up' when it rings?

I am using Crestron in my house. I'll have to see how they will integrate.

But PQ is good enough? Night vision OK?

Thanks for the detailed post!
A) yes. It’s the door bird chime. It’s a white rectangular object lol. I would post u a pic of my set up but I don’t know how
B) night vision is ok. But trust me. The living habits are such that we tend to answer the door pretty soon so factor your needs vs habits to set ur own expectations
C) if you get two. You can have two distinctive chimes for each announcement
D) the biggest headache was the ring was too soft so please reconsider that issue
E) The unit is solid so most people will forget about the original chime and use your doorbell
F) I don’t know how crestron integrates but I had to go with control 4 since I never heard from crestron dealers when I started my process. As you know C4 and crestron have the most integration options
G) my take is: it’s a solid imposing standout product in the sea of video door bells offering. Good first impression at entry and no one has heard of it so it’s a ice breaker during parties
H) Work with your installer and get all its features on ur devices And and and please don’t overlook its chime. The next version should be called Doortruck not bird
post #20 of 35 Old 02-07-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A) yes. It’s the door bird chime. It’s a white rectangular object lol. I would post u a pic of my set up but I don’t know how
B) night vision is ok. But trust me. The living habits are such that we tend to answer the door pretty soon so factor your needs vs habits to set ur own expectations
C) if you get two. You can have two distinctive chimes for each announcement
D) the biggest headache was the ring was too soft so please reconsider that issue
E) The unit is solid so most people will forget about the original chime and use your doorbell
F) I don’t know how crestron integrates but I had to go with control 4 since I never heard from crestron dealers when I started my process. As you know C4 and crestron have the most integration options
G) my take is: it’s a solid imposing standout product in the sea of video door bells offering. Good first impression at entry and no one has heard of it so it’s a ice breaker during parties
H) Work with your installer and get all its features on ur devices And and and please don’t overlook its chime. The next version should be called Doortruck not bird
Great info. Thanks so much for the detail!

Jeff

post #21 of 35 Old 02-10-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Dogdd - why did you choose Doorbird over the Control4 door station?
post #22 of 35 Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluid15 View Post
Dogdd - why did you choose Doorbird over the Control4 door station?
Didn’t want my door station to be complicated with keypads, didn’t like the mini and I wanted my door station mounted at an angle from the wall so the camera above the main door can capture face of caller not back of caller as most bells are flush with wall so I just didn’t like it.
post #23 of 35 Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Didn’t want my door station to be complicated with keypads, didn’t like the mini and I wanted my door station mounted at an angle from the wall so the camera above the main door can capture face of caller not back of caller as most bells are flush with wall so I just didn’t like it.
My security cameras hooked to dvr I meant.
post #24 of 35 Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
My security cameras hooked to dvr I meant.
Doesn't the DVR already record 24/7? What events do you have programmed through DoorBird?
post #25 of 35 Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been using a doorbird for just over a year with great success. Than again I do not use the actual cloud part of the device.
Mine ties into Blueiris for recording and into homeseer for automation stuff.

Has been extremely solid for me.
post #26 of 35 Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluid15 View Post
Doesn't the DVR already record 24/7? What events do you have programmed through DoorBird?
Nothing , it just functions as a doorbell with the app notifications on my phones and I pad and control 4 station. My security camera system is separate and I hardly access the dvr ... it’s just there as insurance in case of any unfortunate event god forbid
post #27 of 35 Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I was really hoping the 1080p D11 would be announced at CEDIA. Waiting impatiently.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #28 of 35 Old 09-19-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Well, how about that!

https://www.ravepubs.com/rave-video/...surface-mount/

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #29 of 35 Old 11-04-2019, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I like the features of the doorbird but the “formfactor” does not fit my entrance sadly. I would like to have the following features:
* Button for visitors to call
* Connection to mobile phone to talk and open
* I/O ports to open the door
* Keypad/tag and the ability to set codes during certain days and hours

However, I would prefer to have them separated into camera/audio, call button, keypad/tag reader so I can place them where I want. Anyone know a more “modular” approach to doorbird that would allow that?
Thanks!
post #30 of 35 Old 11-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmane View Post
Hi, I like the features of the doorbird but the “formfactor” does not fit my entrance sadly. I would like to have the following features:
* Button for visitors to call
* Connection to mobile phone to talk and open
* I/O ports to open the door
* Keypad/tag and the ability to set codes during certain days and hours

However, I would prefer to have them separated into camera/audio, call button, keypad/tag reader so I can place them where I want. Anyone know a more “modular” approach to doorbird that would allow that?
Thanks!
https://www.2nusa.com/en_US/products...ip-verso#tab-3
you can build out a modular system, but I believe end of day its still a vertical unit, they need to all be connected if you will, not place 1 pad here, 1 pad there, etc. You could find separate pieces to do that - there are Keypad/Tag readers that could be stand alone, but then you need a controller/hub to make them all work together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page