What's your favorite aspect of home automation? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By WDB123

post #1 of 13 Old 01-24-2019, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What's your favorite aspect of home automation?

I'm a professional home automation installer. Want to know what your favorite parts of the systems are. We're talking things such as audio, video, security, lighting, shade, or hvac control. Obviously there's more to it as well, but you get what I'm saying.

I like that automation has its easy parts. I program systems to do things based on events, times or triggers. MY favorite part is when my clients give me programming to implement into their system and use it for what it's supposed to do. It's awesome knowing things can turn on at X time, or based on X command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-25-2019, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAutoDude View Post
I'm a professional home automation installer. Want to know what your favorite parts of the systems are. We're talking things such as audio, video, security, lighting, shade, or hvac control. Obviously there's more to it as well, but you get what I'm saying.

I like that automation has its easy parts. I program systems to do things based on events, times or triggers. MY favorite part is when my clients give me programming to implement into their system and use it for what it's supposed to do. It's awesome knowing things can turn on at X time, or based on X command.
was going to agree there. its not about controlling items, my fav part of home automation is just stuff happening. I can press a door lock button and the house shuts down. I rarely even have to turn on lights anymore because of sensors and various timers. We just moved back into our house after 7 months of living away for renovations and I am slowly putting it back together and my wife jokes she keeps forgetting to turn a light off because she just assumes it will go off (but I didn't put that sensor back yet as an example).

I also enjoy party modes where I can have music or a TV feed playing in sync in various rooms. We usually have people over and they could be in the kitchen or dining room or living room or even our finished basement but this way everyone has easily access to our audio/video capabilities.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-25-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 83
House modes are helpful. Sleep and Away and Vacation modes in particular.
Media control and selection gets daily use. I don't think the family would be too happy to have to figure out how to manually control the systems.

The remote control over the Internet gets the most buzz, but the least use. I check into the house (actually, it proactively sends me updates if any issue) when away, especially from my RV that is also integrated into the system. Primary purpose is to switch the Vacation mode house to Normal mode. But that only happens a couple times a year, unfortunately

Last edited by smoothtlk; 01-25-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Very cool to hear you guys are on the same page! The idea of automation, is to honestly not even realize it's there, right? Meaning you want to walk in and have the system do what it's supposed to.

As well as do what it's supposed to when you're away on vacation etc.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Scenes
It's the conveinance of entire sub-systems all working together in convenient ways. I like the flexibility of Crestron being able to take any controlled lighting dimmer and add a couple custom buttons or scenes controlling area specific control. Best this cleans up walls removing threeway and fourway switches.

In my house I control 8 sub-systems. Lighting, Shades, Audio, Climate, Security, Network, Surveillance and Locks.

Lighting- 22 controlled dimmers, 2 LED controllers, lamp dimmers and some slaves
Shades- 4 installed (10) owned but not all complete
Audio- 9 Zones
Climate- 1 Zone
Security- 5 exterior doors, 4 motions, 1 glass Break, 1 interior siren, 1 exterior siren
Network- Router, interior WAP, exterior WAP, 16 Port switch
Surveillance- 4 dome cameras, 1 Doorbird, 8 channel NVR
Locks- 2 auto locks
Control- 2 touch panels

Scenes I use in single gang light switches.

Foyer- "Away" When I leave I press an extra engraved button in the foyer that turns off all controlled lights, all Audio, arms Security with 30 second delay, closes all shades and locks the doors.

When I unlock the front door it turns off security turns climate up or down three degrees, turns on the foyer, kitchen lights.

Dinning Room- "Party" mode, Accent lighting and led's, shades up/down based on astrological clock in dinning room, kitchen, family roon, guest bath, living room. Audio to playlist rock in Dinning, kitchen, family, lanai, backyard and guest bath.

Dinning Room- "Dinner Party" all common area lights off except chandeliers, recessed lights, table lamps, sconces, T lanterns in dinning Room, foyer, guest bath, Lanai, mood lights around water feature in backyard and under cabinet lighting in kitchen, all at 15%. Audio to playlist jazz at 65db in Dinning, family, guest bath, lanai, backyard and family room.

Kitchen- "Culinary Genius" all kitchen lights on full bright, shades up/down based on astrological clock, kitchen audio switches to ceiling mounted Alexa Echo as Source, with vocal control for hands free control.

Master Bed- "Good Night" turns off all common area lights, closes shades, arms security (stay), turns off all common area audio

Family room- "Movie Time" turns off all common area lights, turns on at 10% guest bath lights, LED strips behind TV, Bar and Turntable. Closes all common area shades.

Lanai- "Party & Dinner Party" scenes both work here too. But exclusive scenes out side are "Chick Pow Wow" turns on T lights, Lanai sconces. Switches audio source to another ceiling mounted Alexa Echo for hands free audio control.

Bar- "Tequila, Scotch & Wine" are individual engraved switches at the bar. Each turns on different LED mood lights and audio selections for each alcohol selection.

Last edited by funky54; 01-25-2019 at 05:31 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky54 View Post
When I unlock the front door it turns off security turns climate up or down three degrees, turns on the foyer, kitchen lights.
This sounds wierd. What happens if your door is locked when you’re home and you unlock it because you’re expecting guests? What happens if someone else is already home when you get home and unlock the door?
post #7 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
This sounds wierd. What happens if your door is locked when you’re home and you unlock it because you’re expecting guests? What happens if someone else is already home when you get home and unlock the door?
Different codes, different doors with different locks. We come and go through one door, company visitors another.
Also this is only “Away” not stay. If someone is home and you arm security with “Stay” the autolock has no effect. If it’s already armed with “Away” then it disarms the alarm. (This is the only rmc3 function I use, everything else is Pyng)

In truth we don’t use Stay except while sleeping. We only arm when we leave. No kids, just my wife and I. I wouldn’t set a customers up like that. But for us it’s fantastic.

It all becomes part of how we live. My wife who doesn’t really like tech loves our system. Probably more than me. She doesn’t want to fiddle.

When it’s your own home and not a customers, it’s eye opening to hear honest opinions from a woman’s point of view who is not in the industry. She loves lighting and shades. She really only ever touches scenes. Most from controlled dimmers, some from her phone and Touch Panels. Audio, she could care less about and that’s why she uses echos as sources tied to whole house audio. She likes hands free music control. I leave the echos all activated with her account for her saved lists and radio stations. I use Sonos Connect. It’s cool to see her embrace the tech on her own. She’ll use her phone when sitting in bed or out in the Lanai.

With Pyng there really isn’t much global volume control for whole house audio... so she uses a scene “Soft Volume” that turns all common area audio zones to 65db. If you select other scenes they are sometimes stored with specific volumes. But the point is, she uses it. She’s used to it and prefers it. When selling systems I often talk about her. What she does and doesn’t use. People get a chuckle out of “Culinary Genius & Chick POW WOW” not that they want that, but they get the idea of scenarios and how it can be tailored to their lives.

Scenes are the ticket... not sub system commands.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1548613200
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22B89C22-F18D-4BCB-9929-15EBB1DAB8B1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2517006   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD5ED1BF-E88D-42D1-85A2-9681DAE716B5.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2517008   Click image for larger version

Name:	208DE208-F779-4D9D-BF68-288FB89FB3A0.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2517010   Click image for larger version

Name:	F713A27F-6B70-43E8-A4BC-8E2732FA61E7.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2517012   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5A26907-F85F-4681-BCB6-5F6A937D08F7.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	2517014  

Last edited by funky54; 01-27-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-27-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What's your favorite aspect of home automation?

Removed

Last edited by Lindahl; 01-27-2019 at 06:10 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

One of my favorite things is using automation to actually turn on/off lights based on commands too. Such as me opening my garage, or walking in the building. I like to make sure it does what I want!
post #10 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 382
My favorite is "Bed time Mode." You press a button and it turns off some lights, dims another and gives you 4 minutes to get upstairs before it shuts all lights down. No more stumbling in the dark to get up the stairs. Also turns on our bedside lamps.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM

I also like being able to turn on the front yard sprinklers when people let their dogs crap there. Life can be beautiful.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In my house my favourite scene is "Good Evening", at sunset it locks all the doors, close the blinds, turn on all the exterior lights and a few lights inside such as under cabinets and a lamp in the living room. My favourite aspect is probably the voice control as I don't really use a tablet or phone anymore, if I walk by the switch I'll use it if not I'll ask Siri.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
My favorite part is building the system and configuring everything.
JP14 and javan robinson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page