AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Automation (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-home-automation/)
-   -   Creating a hub in our kitchen (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-home-automation/3053950-creating-hub-our-kitchen.html)

[email protected] 03-02-2019 01:51 PM

Creating a hub in our kitchen

I am finally going to stop procrastinating and add intelligence to our lights and appliances in our kitchen, where we have numerous banks of dumb bulbs.

Between our adjacent kitchen and family rooms, we have lights on six different banks and we would like to create control over all of them from a set of scenes. This could be done with smart switches, smart bulbs, or some combinations thereof.

The Brilliant controls caught my eye as they come with Amazon Echo built in. As we intend to add a voice assistant, that became compelling. We also have a Nest thermostat and a Ring doorbell and the opportunity to bring all of them under one hub is appealing.

Are there opinions here about the Brilliant switches? Any alternative recommendations?

Rick A.
Pleasanton CA

Lindahl 03-04-2019 06:22 AM

Go Lutron for lighting (Caseta or RA2 Select). Its the cheapest system that does scenes right - fast, responsive snd bulletproof. Nothing is more annoying than light switches not working. And, if you want to add window treatments later, its pretty easy (but expensive).

Pick Amazon or Google. You have Nest and Ring. Nest is Google, Ring is Amazon. So you’ll have to replace one of those devices. Get either an Amazon Show or Google Home Hub touchscreen device for the kitchen. Handles the doorbell integration well and they’re great for cooking.

I prefer Google. The integration is tighter and feels more professional to me. Plus, with the Nest lock, it’ll only get better.

You *could* go to a full automation hub, but most people don’t need them if all they want is control. Google Home and Alexa will work for most just fine. When you start needing one, you’ll know, and it’ll cost you the same whether you do it now or later, so I’d hold off on that for now.

Lindahl 03-04-2019 06:23 AM

Double post

[email protected] 03-04-2019 08:18 AM

Many thanks, Lindahl --

You write that "Nest is Google, Ring is Amazon, so you’ll have to replace one of those devices." I was not aware that I could not integrate both of those products under one hub. Each supports such a wide range of products, that is disappointing that neither can handle those two. Perhaps we'll keep our Ring off the grid; it's doing fine on its own little island...

Lindahl 03-04-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 57691002)
Many thanks, Lindahl --

You write that "Nest is Google, Ring is Amazon, so you’ll have to replace one of those devices." I was not aware that I could not integrate both of those products under one hub. Each supports such a wide range of products, that is disappointing that neither can handle those two. Perhaps we'll keep our Ring off the grid; it's doing fine on its own little island...

You can but the integration is pretty bare bones. Things are much slicker when its under one umbrella. If you keep it in the family, the touchscreen device will pop up the doorbell video when someone rings. If you don’t, the doorbell will notify your phone, and then you’ll have to use the touchscreen to navigate to the doorbell. Its a subtle difference in words, but a pretty big difference in terms of user experience and satisfaction.

[email protected] 03-04-2019 04:25 PM

Follow-up question:

If I go with a Lutron switch, I know that I can control it with a Google Home Hub. And if I also purchase a Philips Hue bridge and a few bulbs, I know that I can control them with a Goodle Home Hub. I would like to know if the Google Hub can create a scene that works both of these systems at the same time. For example, can I create a single scene that:

- Turns the Lutron lights off
- Turns the Hue bulbs blue and 25% intensity

Does anyone know if that is possible?