Seeking Home Security Camera Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By giomania

post #1 of 5 Old 06-17-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Seeking Home Security Camera Advice

Hi all,

I would like to set up a simple, single security camera that can keep an eye on my car/bike when I am not at home and/or while I am sleeping at night. I live in an apartment, but fortunately I am able to park right outside of one of my windows, on the same level and only a few feet away. Therefore I am envisioning a simple camera that I can set inside, on the window ledge, facing out through the window toward the area I want to monitor.

I've noticed the onslaught of cloud-based services lately, but have never paid any attention because I've never desired a camera until now. As I'm trying to wade through the options available at the likes of Best Buy, I'm left fairly lost and I'm starting to wonder if this will be more difficult than it should be. Please recommend what I should look at.

Needs/wants:
- Simple and inexpensive (I see no reason that it should cost more than $200 for a DVR + camera, or a few dollars a month for cloud-based storage)
- Small enough to fit in between blinds and a window pane (the size of the "Blink XT2" looks ideal)
- 24/7 Recording that I have access to for a couple of days (So 72 hours of "space", I guess?)
- Ample low-light recording (needs to be worth a dang for facial recognition)
** Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe I need "night vision" as there is always at least some ambient light present from the street lights
- Adjustable motion detection alert would be nice (I park in an alley so it has to be adjustable, or every passing car would trigger, I'd imagine)
- Must be able to view directly through a clear window without issue (not sure if this would ever be a problem)

It sounds like I might have to pick between a long loop of recording or notifications, as a cloud based service is necessary for notifications but lacking in terms of space.. thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help! I thought this would be as simple as walking into Best Buy but apparently not...

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-17-2019, 02:04 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The AVS Forum of cameras is www.ipcamtalk.com

Much of what you need to know has been assembled in the Cliff Notes

The IP Cam Talk ‘Cliff Notes’ is a document containing a lot of collective wisdom, and is incorporated into the IP Cam Talk Wiki IPCamTalk.com. While it is a little out of date with respect to specific camera models, it provides a solid foundation of information.

To access it via IPCamTalk.com, find the horizontal blue navigation bar at the top of any page, and select "Wiki", then in the "Everything Else" category, and then click on "IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes.

Here is a direct link: https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/ip-cam-talk-cliff-notes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 106
though not ideal in most settings and rarely recommended, a lot of cameras have on board SD Card storage. If you are looking at only a few days of storage, if the camera is indoors 100% of the time that is likely enough to justify using the SD card for storage. I have no practical knowledge how well it will do with erasing/re-recording often so may want to look into that further with reviews.

yes you can view that wiki but just go to bhphoto.com - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/brows...0/N/3880127379 - click on wired or wireless - you did not mention if you could hardwire to a switch/router or if you need wifi, and go from there.

Assuming you can at least get power to it easily you have a ton of options. I like BH because the pricing is great but they have a ton of sorting options. By size, resolution, wifi/wired, sd card slot on board, form factor, price, etc. So you can quickly narrow down your search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-12-2019, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3343 Post(s)
Liked: 1879
no camera is any good at night thru a window. arlo and blink arent bad for wireless battery operated cams. I have blink's in my garage and arlo mounted on many outside trees. batteries last about 4 weeks.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #5 of 5 Old 07-14-2019, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Wyze cams are utterly amazing for the money:

https://********/2lhu4LP

Facial recognition at night at anything more than a few feet away is a tough one to find without getting into serious money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chop
YAMAHA RX-A3060
Onix Rocket: RS-1000 Fronts, RSC200 Center, RSS300 Rear Surrounds
2 x Outlaw Ultra X-12
82" Samsung QF6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page