ADT vs Vivint Vs Stand Alone Controller - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-30-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ADT vs Vivint Vs Stand Alone Controller

I've been looking at Home Automation Controllers and can't figure out which one looks best. I am currently an ADT subscriber (Under contract until ~Feb 2020) and noticed that as of this year they've dipped into the Home Automation world more with their Command/Control series. Unfortunately I can't find much information about the system online as far as capabilities and devices it interfaces well with (website just says Alexa, Kwik set, Liftmaster and Zwave). Does anyone have any experience with ADT or Vivint's Home Automation component? If so are devices easily configurable/able to be added by myself or does it require the dealer?

Here's what I currently have device wise vs what I would be adding in the future:

Current:
Sonos Connect/Connect Amps for WHA
Amazon Firesticks/Amazon TV's
Liftmaster Garage Door Openers (Don't have the MY QWifi Gateway Yet)
Rain Bird WiFi Sprinkler Controller
Harmony Hub For Primary Living Room TV
ADT Pulse
Amazon Echo Dots

Potentially looking to add (Slowly not all at once):
Ring Style Doorbell Camera (Not married to ring as I see that both Vivint and ADT offer their own doorbell camera's with storage/viewing that may be included in their monthly costs. I would like to avoid the additional cost for the Ring Cloud service if I can. Also appears that the ADT camera can provide picture/video via the fire TV?)
Wifi Garage Door Opener (Liftmaster has their own MyQ which I assume is what the ADT integrates with, but it looks like Vivint may offer one as well)
Outdoor Security Camera's (Already wired to locations with CAT6 Cable)
Additional Harmony Hub for Theater room
Smart Thermostat (Currently only have a programmable one)
Lighting Automation (Not married to any specific brand or type here, I am finishing my basement and would look to start adding controlled switches here and then moving to replacing the upstairs ones over time)
Misc Controlled Outlets as needed (Control Home theater items like lighted Poster boxes, RGB lights for the screen, etc.)
Would Ideally like to be able to use a combination of wired keypads, voice commands from Alexa, Harmony remotes, and Iphone/Ipad apps for control (along with the proprietary tablets/panels that come with the security services)

I like the idea of having one central place like the ADT app or vivint app to control everything, but also have concerns that they might be limited when it comes to some of the options above. Perhaps a better solution would be to maintain my existing Security only contract and use a third party (Homeseer/Charmed Quark) for the rest of the Home Automation since I would have much more control over them? Or maybe even use the third party with an integrated Z-Wave controller and let the security systems interact with the home automation that way? I think that having the ability to say "Alexa, Goodnight" and having all the lights turn off, Alarm set, TV's/music turned off, and Thermostat adjusted has an appeal to it, but not if it becomes so complicated to add and remove devices or us that its not user friendly.

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!

Last edited by DaDeuce; 07-30-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-31-2019, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Without speaking about the ADT system specifically, your concerns are 110% valid.

I went with Monitronics (now Brinks), and when I originally started smartening up my home, their z-wave controller panel (made by 2Gig, if I recall), was sufficient for what I was doing. Easy enough to add smart light switches and use the motion detector that came with the package to manage my lights and use doors opening/closing to trigger lights and scenes. The whole system was set up Alarm.com, and was very easy to use.

But Alarm.com is very particular about what hardware is supported and what you can do with it. Its a closed system, and only they can add features and functionality, some of which is limiting / crippling the full functionality of the hardware. They also limit you to the number of cameras you can have before you have to start paying to have additional cameras on your system.

Ultimately, I've moved everything I can off of the "alarm" system and on to my own home automation controller (Hubitat). For any interaction between the two, I can use IFTTT. But mostly I just added some cheap sensors and doubled up on the doors that I wanted to use as triggers. So now I've got my old z-wave sensor on the door as well as a new zigbee sensor that my Hubitat uses. Its not super elegant, but it works.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page