Can Ring replace DoorBird? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-24-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Can Ring replace DoorBird?

Recently had a house built, and the builder hired an idiot to do the low voltage wiring, centered around a Control 4 system He installed DoorBird, hard wired, and Schlage locks on our doors.
When it came time to USE the system, he told us it was not compatible with C4, and he installed the DoorBird app on our phones. He also told us that it was not compatible with Schlage locks, so if someone shows up on the DoorBird & we want to et them in, we have to give them a code to come in! (The locks are supposed to be able to be integrated with C4 but the dealer never was able to get it to work)

DoorBird is pretty much useless. When it rings (we have 2 units and both have the same ring) we try to see who is at the door, but virtually every time the app times out before anything can communicate. We were away the past 3 weeks, and I checked the DoorBird camera 2 - 3 times a day, and in those 3 weeks, I was able to connect only 1 time!! We do have other devices relying on the same system to give us remote access, and they work - we can immediately connect. Even Blink is almost instantaneous.

The dealer never left us any information, and refuses to even answer our questions because the builder has not paid him. The builder just says we should contact the low voltage guy.

I called another low voltage company in to get all my security working properly. He saw what I had and said it was such a mess that he couldn't help. (The wiring is a jumbled, unmarked mess. In addition to nothing being integrated, our 3 motion detector lights do not turn on at all, for example)

My neighbors, in the same development andsame builder, all have ring doorbells, and they work fine. (Don't know why the dealer used DoorBird for me and Ring for the others)

Can I replace the DoorBird with Ring? Will the wiring be the same or do they have to rewire somehow? If not Ring, is there something that might integrate with Schlage doorlocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-24-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Sounds like a mess of a situation.

Did you pay the builder? Then what is the builder's excuse why he hasn't paid the low voltage contractor? That is the largest of the issues. If your C4 dealer walks away from his wiring mess, then the extensive reverse engineering of the mess will be at your expense for the second contractor.

Doorbird supports a more open integration than Ring. So, it's surprising if C4 doesn't support Doorbird.

Doorbird not being available? That sounds like a networking / Internet related issue than the Doorbird itself.

Yes, A Ring can replace a doorbird. Especially since you say the Doorbird is hard wired.

You should integrate like this: Doorbell to C4 and then C4 to Schlage. That's what the automation system is there for.

It's starting to sound that the Builder's C4 dealer is crap. Get ready for the real downside of letting a builder pick the automation contractor based on price.

If you have any leverage with the builder, you might want to work something out where you can select a new C4 dealer to document, label, clean up the C4 system and fix the issues and the builder pay a good percentage of that rework since you didn't receive a quality installation under the builder's watch.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-25-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
Sounds like a mess of a situation.

Did you pay the builder? Then what is the builder's excuse why he hasn't paid the low voltage contractor? That is the largest of the issues. If your C4 dealer walks away from his wiring mess, then the extensive reverse engineering of the mess will be at your expense for the second contractor.

Doorbird supports a more open integration than Ring. So, it's surprising if C4 doesn't support Doorbird.

Doorbird not being available? That sounds like a networking / Internet related issue than the Doorbird itself.

Yes, A Ring can replace a doorbird. Especially since you say the Doorbird is hard wired.

You should integrate like this: Doorbell to C4 and then C4 to Schlage. That's what the automation system is there for.

It's starting to sound that the Builder's C4 dealer is crap. Get ready for the real downside of letting a builder pick the automation contractor based on price.

If you have any leverage with the builder, you might want to work something out where you can select a new C4 dealer to document, label, clean up the C4 system and fix the issues and the builder pay a good percentage of that rework since you didn't receive a quality installation under the builder's watch.
We have EIGHT different apps to control our home automation! Was all supposed to have been "INTEGRATED."

YES - it IS a mess. Builder was paid. At least 4 of his SUbs have sued him for nonpayment. 2 have filed liens on my house for nonpayment. I am in litigation with the builder for various problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-25-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 602
I'd add this to the list of items to litigate with your builder.

Automation subcontractor may have been crap, but ultimately it is your builder's responsibility to ensure the job is done adequately. You paid the builder to do a job, he needs to do it. If the sub he chose didn't leave a workable system, he needs to pay someone else to rectify it.

As for the technical aspects of your situation, wiring should be compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page