Programmable smart thermostat? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Benj5

post #1 of 5 Old 12-03-2019, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Programmable smart thermostat?

Hello, I'm looking to buy a thermostat, and I'm having difficulty figuring out if various models will do what I have in mind:

I would like to be able to program a default temperature schedule for the thermostat to follow. I know that many can use a "smart" or "learning" approach that learns based on your day-to-day adjustments, but I want the option to choose a set schedule manually. X time = A temp, Y time = B temp, Z time = C temp, and so on, whether 24 hour cycle or weekly or whatever.

Now, I assume, let's say in a given moment you want to turn it up or down for whatever reason, so of course you walk over to the unit or grab your phone and do so. Here's the key: I want the thermostat to default back to the preset schedule within a given time frame after these adjustments on the fly happen.

I haven't used a smart thermostat before, so I'm not sure if what I'm asking for is really basic or not even available. I would also like to be able to review the temp setting history which I'm guessing is more common. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I don't think the "smart" modes work well. They are based on motion detection typically. My thermostats are purposely placed in low traffic areas to decrease wall acne.
The modes you are looking for on quick look are supported by most all programmable thermostats. Your occasional temp bumps of set point is a "hold" mode. The next timed cycle change will override the Hold on most thermos.

We like Venstar thermostats as they allow for local WiFi to automation controller connectivity (not cloud). So, no issue if Venstar changes strategy on what they want to charge for the cloud connection and always available to a local automation controller even when Internet end to end isn't up.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj5 View Post
Hello, I'm looking to buy a thermostat, and I'm having difficulty figuring out if various models will do what I have in mind:

I would like to be able to program a default temperature schedule for the thermostat to follow. I know that many can use a "smart" or "learning" approach that learns based on your day-to-day adjustments, but I want the option to choose a set schedule manually. X time = A temp, Y time = B temp, Z time = C temp, and so on, whether 24 hour cycle or weekly or whatever.

Now, I assume, let's say in a given moment you want to turn it up or down for whatever reason, so of course you walk over to the unit or grab your phone and do so. Here's the key: I want the thermostat to default back to the preset schedule within a given time frame after these adjustments on the fly happen.

I haven't used a smart thermostat before, so I'm not sure if what I'm asking for is really basic or not even available. I would also like to be able to review the temp setting history which I'm guessing is more common. Thanks for the help!
I think most smart thermostats do that. Certainly anything controlled by Alarm.com app does. They just wait until the next "time frame" and go back on schedule.

Video: Epson 6050 / Panny DP-UB420 / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks to both of you. I spent a little more time reading, which generally confirms your input, and went ahead and ordered something. I thought I would leave this tidbit I found in a review on an Ecobee model which was relevant to my particular question:

"If you change the temperature manually in any way—on the device, in the app, or by talking to Alexa or Siri, for example—the system goes into a so-called Indefinite Hold. This means that it remains at that temperature until you manually change it again (on the device or in the app), regardless of your set Schedules or occupancy activity.

If you don’t understand this behavior and don’t manually choose “Resume schedule,” you can end up wasting a lot of energy heating or cooling when you don’t want to. To avoid this, you need to change the default hold action in the Web settings from “Indefinite” to either a timed delay or “Until the next scheduled activity.” But there’s another caveat: If you make any change through Alexa or HomeKit, your system will go into an Indefinite Hold no matter what hold action you have chosen. This means you have to remember to tell Alexa or Siri to “Resume schedule”—you can’t rely on any of your thermostat’s smarts to do it for you."
ckronengold likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj5 View Post

You can set schedules with ecobee. You can set time frame windows and customize for each day of the week. For example, during the work week I have one schedule for when I'm gone during the day, and on the weekends, I have another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page