Confused: smart things, harmony, google home, google assist, ifttt what do I need to? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-04-2020, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Confused: smart things, harmony, google home, google assist, ifttt what do I need to?

Im trying to have all integrated remote set up, where I could tell google assistant to "turn on /off theater" or to set up harmony activity to turn on or off theater.
I thought it was as simple as adding all these devices to harmony activity, but I'm getting super confused with so many options claiming they are the hub to automation... Also some devices like p1 isn't even supported in harmony...

Do thought I would ask here. What the heck do I need to do to connect and automate all these devices?

Equipments I have:
Nvidia shield (added to harmony)
Denon 3600 (added to harmony)
Outlaw 7000
Vividstorm floor rising screen
Optoma p1 (cannot be added to harmony)
Google home mini
Harmony elite
Philips hue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Have you created "activities", ie "watch TV", etc.?
I have the Google mini and it works reasonably well...when I say "hey Google turn on watch tv" it does, etc.
It also will pause, lower/raise volume, etc. as well as "turn of tv".
If a device isn't listed you can try adding the device by using its' remote to talk directly with the Harmony remote. The Harmony site shows how to do it. Same with adding a control.
Good luck and keep us informed.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #3 of 4 Old 01-04-2020, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Have you created "activities", ie "watch TV", etc.?
I have the Google mini and it works reasonably well...when I say "hey Google turn on watch tv" it does, etc.
It also will pause, lower/raise volume, etc. as well as "turn of tv".
If a device isn't listed you can try adding the device by using its' remote to talk directly with the Harmony remote. The Harmony site shows how to do it. Same with adding a control.
Good luck and keep us informed.
I tried, but for some reason, optima P1's remote just wont get added to Harmony...

Also just curious, for any lights, did you add to google home as well as harmony? Or they're added to harmony, and harmony is added to google home?

Last edited by chinmokutak; 01-04-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
I tried, but for some reason, optima P1's remote just wont get added to Harmony...

Also just curious, for any lights, did you add to google home as well as harmony? Or they're added to harmony, and harmony is added to google home?
I haven't used any lights yet...reviews are up and down...costs are a bit to high and my one light in the HT area is a ceiling fan/light combo which I use a slider control. No one offers a wifi wall switch/slider that controls both fan and light.
I use the Google home mini just to turn on the TV and not all the time for that. My Harmony remote is just as easy to use.
I got the mini for free. I had an Alexa, one of the first gen, and it just didn't work so I returned it.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page