• 1 Post By Noobio2
  • 2 Post By ezlotogura

post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2020, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is this a Control4 Problem?

I had a home theater guy set up my system a few months ago, and he talked me into using Control4. I don't love it -- I find it slow and inelegant. But it lets me have all the components out of sight and I can live with it. When I watch Apple TV, Netflix, etc, everything is great. When I want to watch Comcast, however, a weird thing happens: At almost exactly 15 minutes and 30 seconds of watching, the TV screen (Samsung Q90R) goes completely black. The audio continues for a bit longer uninterrupted, but then that glitches out too. I can use the remote to "watch" "Comcast" again, and the picture and audio come back just fine (though I've missed 30 seconds or so of watching while it re-cycles or whatever). Once I've got the picture back, I can watch again for another 15:30 before it goes black again. Over and over. Almost exactly 15:30 every time. Changing the channel or volume don't seem to interrupt or restart the counter.
This happens EVERY time I use Comcast as the input, and NEVER happens with the Apple TV. The only wrinkle is that it ALMOST never happens when I'm playing games on the PS4, but every once in a while (maybe twice out of fifteen gaming sessions?), the screen will repeatedly go black on me -- though I haven't timed it when using the PS4, so I can't say whether it is the same 15:30 interval.

I've switched out the Comcast box for a different model, and this glitch happens on both, so I don't think it is that. It can't be the TV, right, since it does not happen with all inputs? The culprit has to be the Control4 system? The home theater guy is working on it, but seems stumped.

This is obviously extremely frustrating, and threatens to scuttle any hope of hosting the Superbowl party this year. Any thoughts / ideas / solutions would be incredible appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The control4 isn't actually sending the HDMI signal to the display unless you're using a C4 video matrix. It is simply selecting the input/outputs. It's not likely that the issue is C4 related. It's more likely to be a HDMI issue. Would need to know more about how the devices are connected to give more info. Is there an AVR in play, or a video matrix or directly connected from source to display. It absolutely could be the display or the comcast box still. I would move the connection to a different input on the display first.

ChooseSecurity.net AV Operations Manager
Control4 Programmer and User
post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 112
smells like HDMI/Handshake issue. Turn off CEC. Samsung may call it Anynet+. Not sure what it is called on the cable box - but anything in the chain (TV, cable box, AVR) turn off CEC.
jrbryant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbryant View Post
The control4 isn't actually sending the HDMI signal to the display unless you're using a C4 video matrix. It is simply selecting the input/outputs. It's not likely that the issue is C4 related. It's more likely to be a HDMI issue. Would need to know more about how the devices are connected to give more info. Is there an AVR in play, or a video matrix or directly connected from source to display. It absolutely could be the display or the comcast box still. I would move the connection to a different input on the display first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
smells like HDMI/Handshake issue. Turn off CEC. Samsung may call it Anynet+. Not sure what it is called on the cable box - but anything in the chain (TV, cable box, AVR) turn off CEC.

Thank you both so much. Yes, I've got a Yamaha RX-A780BL, and just yesterday my HT guy asked me to experiment with bypassing that and connecting the cable box directly to the Q90R and see if the picture continues to go out. I haven't had the time to try that yet, but will this weekend. While I'm at it, on your advice I'll also see if I can find any CEC settings to disable among the gear. My guy also mentioned the "handshake" issue and said that he is getting some small piece of hardware that is supposed to help with the handshake, hoping that if that is indeed the problem, it will solve it. So I guess we're on the right track?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated -- thanks again!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2020, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I think turning off CEC worked!!! So grateful. You guys are the best. This forum is the best.
jrbryant likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobio2 View Post
I think turning off CEC worked!!! So grateful. You guys are the best. This forum is the best.
glad it worked. very typical issue. Suspect work from the dealer not turning off CEC. That should be step one when setting up a home theater system and using ANY control system.
Noobio2 and jrbryant like this.
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Better yet, just get rid of Comcast and get your “cable” through the AppleTV. Plenty of options like AT&TV, YouTube TV, Hulu, Sling, etc. They are just apps that you download on the Appletv and then watch through them. To my knowledge Comcast does not have an Xfinity stream app for Appletv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page