Home Automation minus the "cloud" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dsteinschneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Home Automation minus the "cloud"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
Or you can get an automation system that works locally (in the home) and is not dependent on the big players services being available and subject to their layers of bureaucracy that they have to wade through.
I'm in the stone age with x10 devices (someone moving to Zigbee/Vera gave me a big box of x10 devices which I control with Active Home Vista - works better than you would think). I've ignored cloud based HA because big tech lost my trust years ago.

I'm ready to upgrade and considering Home Assistant or Hubitat and looking for pros and cons of those two or suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks in advance for advice.
dsteinschneider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
MinHeadroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Jersey/ NYC
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I am an Indigo fan boy: indigodomo.com

It’s very expandable, can run custom python scripts, has tons of 3rd party developers, and a thriving friendly forum.
MinHeadroom is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-09-2020, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dsteinschneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
I am an Indigo fan boy: indigodomo.com

It’s very expandable, can run custom python scripts, has tons of 3rd party developers, and a thriving friendly forum.
Sorry for late reply - I'll check out Indigo
dsteinschneider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
MinHeadroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Jersey/ NYC
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinschneider View Post
Sorry for late reply - I'll check out Indigo


No worries at all, curious about your inpressions
MinHeadroom is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dsteinschneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Indigo looks really interesting. I mostly run MS OS software. I occasionally am asked to recycle older Mac's, I see it will run on Lion (10.7.5) or later. Typically the Macs I recycle ones are running Yosemite, El Capitan which are the latest OS X versions those Macs will run. In fact that's why they're being replaced. Have you seen them issue an upgrade that eliminates an older OS X yet?
dsteinschneider is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
FlyingDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 664
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinschneider View Post
Indigo looks really interesting. I mostly run MS OS software. I occasionally am asked to recycle older Mac's, I see it will run on Lion (10.7.5) or later. Typically the Macs I recycle ones are running Yosemite, El Capitan which are the latest OS X versions those Macs will run. In fact that's why they're being replaced. Have you seen them issue an upgrade that eliminates an older OS X yet?
Be aware that many of the plugins for Indigo, especially ones that communicate with cloud services, require High Sierra or later. That's because the Python SSL/TLS libraries on the older versions don't support the currently required protocols. That effects things like MyQ, Ecobee, and similar.
FlyingDiver is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,982
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 248
If Insteon or ZWave are options for you, Universal Devices ISY controllers are rock solid. It does support X10 as well, but I was guessing you were moving on from that. It also does ZigBee, but only for power management (industrial/commercial), not lighting devices.

If you do insteon, you have to add an insteon serial modem, for Zwave you add a daughter card inside the device. I did both. You can also have an internal IR receiver and intergrate with IR controllers like Itach.

There is a portal service in case you do want to integrate with webservices (Alexa, IFTTT, Nest, etc.) but you can operate completely self contained, which is really why many users chose it to begin with. It is nice though to be able to just ask Alexa to turn off the lights so you don't have to get out of bed.

https://www.universal-devices.com/smarthome/
ScottAvery is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dsteinschneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
If Insteon or ZWave are options for you, Universal Devices ISY controllers are rock solid. It does support X10 as well, but I was guessing you were moving on from that. It also does ZigBee, but only for power management (industrial/commercial), not lighting devices.

If you do insteon, you have to add an insteon serial modem, for Zwave you add a daughter card inside the device. I did both. You can also have an internal IR receiver and intergrate with IR controllers like Itach.

There is a portal service in case you do want to integrate with webservices (Alexa, IFTTT, Nest, etc.) but you can operate completely self contained, which is really why many users chose it to begin with. It is nice though to be able to just ask Alexa to turn off the lights so you don't have to get out of bed.

https://www.universal-devices.com/smarthome/
I'm planning to phase out the X10 as soon as I figure out which protocols/platforms I'm going to use. A short list of the functionality I see using:

1. Electrical outlets (appliances)
2. Lights on and off (don't see myself programming scenes with dimming and colors)
3. Garage door
4. Thermostats (mostly for offset and ability to turn up on my way home)
5. Water detection alert
6. Video
7. Front door lock
dsteinschneider is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 02-10-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,982
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinschneider View Post
I'm planning to phase out the X10 as soon as I figure out which protocols/platforms I'm going to use. A short list of the functionality I see using:

1. Electrical outlets (appliances)
2. Lights on and off (don't see myself programming scenes with dimming and colors)
3. Garage door
4. Thermostats (mostly for offset and ability to turn up on my way home)
5. Water detection alert
6. Video
7. Front door lock
I had the same requirements, essentially, other than video. Are you meaning security cameras or AV distribution? The ISY does them all, as would HomeSeer or the like, if you have an always on PC to run it. The advantage of the ISY is that it is a tiny, low-power device, essentially like a router that is integrating a bunch of different protocols. I guess that's why they call them hubs, but this system allows real automation - trigger/response - not just remote control.

Insteon devices are pretty, and functional, particularly the keypads, but are known to fail from time to time. You have to factor in replacement cost if out of warranty. There are Insteon modules for all of those things, but the Zwave locks are much better, which is why I added that module. I also use a Zwave fan controller on one fan as it is more convenient.


I suspect you will find self using scenes even if it does not make sense right now. A key element of scenes is grouping things, creating virtual multiway lighting, for example. You can add a light switch to a circuit that didn't have one, or combine multiple lights to turn on/off together. I just changed the switches at the top of my stairs to control different lights downstairs than they were originally wired to control.

I have not used/seen Allonis, but this post is useful to anyone considering DIY. The same recommendations apply with the ISY, such as integrating the ELK M1. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/162-h...l#post59168784

Last edited by ScottAvery; 02-10-2020 at 01:12 PM.
ScottAvery is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dsteinschneider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The video I mentioned is not for AV distribution. I don't mind if security video is separate. Thanks for the heads up on Allonis. Will check that out. I do have a dedicated PC available.
dsteinschneider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Automation

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off