C4 Users.. Whats the best security system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2020, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 172
C4 Users.. Whats the best security system?

Need to choose a security system.

What is easier to program, Honeywell Vista 20p or DSC Neo?
What works better with Control4?

Been using Honeywell, checking to see if the grass is greener?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky54 View Post
Need to choose a security system.

What is easier to program, Honeywell Vista 20p or DSC Neo?
What works better with Control4?

Been using Honeywell, checking to see if the grass is greener?
is there something your Honeywell cannot do? I mean alarm stuff is pretty basic. What OS are you on? With the latest Os3 the proxy was slightly tweaked but I believe Honeywell, DSC, Elk etc all appear the same within C4. you have a keypad to turn it on/off. You can program against the zone sensors themselves, etc. I personally have the Domosapiens 3rd party driver plus the IT-100 for a DSC panel and it has anything I personally need. All of my sensors are in C4, the driver makes it super quick/easy to program text messages and emails, it securely stores your alarm code, etc.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-18-2020, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
is there something your Honeywell cannot do? I mean alarm stuff is pretty basic. What OS are you on? With the latest Os3 the proxy was slightly tweaked but I believe Honeywell, DSC, Elk etc all appear the same within C4. you have a keypad to turn it on/off. You can program against the zone sensors themselves, etc. I personally have the Domosapiens 3rd party driver plus the IT-100 for a DSC panel and it has anything I personally need. All of my sensors are in C4, the driver makes it super quick/easy to program text messages and emails, it securely stores your alarm code, etc.
We’ve done 4 honeywell vista’s so far and were just wondering if were missing out in something easier to work with and program. In truth Security is a loss leader. The construction methods in my geography make security contacts labor intensive, time consuming and then add the programming. We want to be uniform and before we have too many systems in place we just want know if something is easier or better.

I personally have Honeywell with Crestron at home. I’m now C4 and just want to choose what’s best. Typical system for us is about 30 contacts, 3-4 motions, 3-4 attic heats, 2-3 LV smoke, 1-2 carbon, 2-4 KP’s all hardwired.

The best would be a cut and paste programming method with tweaks to tailor.... but I’d also like world peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-19-2020, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky54 View Post
We’ve done 4 honeywell vista’s so far and were just wondering if were missing out in something easier to work with and program. In truth Security is a loss leader. The construction methods in my geography make security contacts labor intensive, time consuming and then add the programming. We want to be uniform and before we have too many systems in place we just want know if something is easier or better.

I personally have Honeywell with Crestron at home. I’m now C4 and just want to choose what’s best. Typical system for us is about 30 contacts, 3-4 motions, 3-4 attic heats, 2-3 LV smoke, 1-2 carbon, 2-4 KP’s all hardwired.

The best would be a cut and paste programming method with tweaks to tailor.... but I’d also like world peace.
The domo driver for C4/DSC really cuts down on the amount of programming required for actions. https://drivercentral.io/platforms/c...y-domosapiens/

notice some of the features about setting up various alerts. it is all done in the properties tab.

As an end user I had little choice - the home I purchased did not have C4 but it had a fully functioning DSC panel, so my C4 dealer just got the IT-100, loaded in that driver and off we went. I enjoy it, very stable, easy to use features for dealer or end user, etc. may get more feedback on www.c4forums.com as many dealers hang out there (vs here) but this thread comes up from time to time on those boards and mostly comes down to:
A) is there a reliable c4 driver native or via a 3rd party (native is preferred, and I believe C4 has an IT-100 driver for free, just lacking some features)
b) your cost to buy/install said hardware and potential mark ups

end of day, not that security is dumb, but it kind of is in how it relates to the user experience in Control4. Selling a $179 driver may be a tough bullet but it will probably save you at least 1-2 hours of programming so its a wash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page