Amazon Fire HD 8 as IP camera - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-02-2020, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Amazon Fire HD 8 as IP camera

So I'm using an Amazon Fire HD 8 (2018) to semi control my theater room in my basement. I've been looking at some apps, like the Alfred camera app to also turn it into an IP security camera that I can view from my phone. I have not tried the app out yet, but from what all I've seen you cannot turn off the camera viewing screen on the "camera" phone.

I'm looking for an app or a way so then when I do view the tablet on my phone, the viewing screen doesn't come up on the tablet. Does anybody know of an app or a way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200223_000559.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	2692512  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-02-2020, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so maybe I'm not being too clear as to what I'm looking for.

So I have a tablet mounted on my basement wall in my theater room and from the tablets cameras POV, it's a good view of my theater. I'm looking to turn that tablets camera into a WiFi/IP camera so I can view it from my phone while I'm away. So far, I'm finding apps (like Alfred camera) that allows me to do so, but in order to do so, the tablet would need to have that app running which means the cameras view on the tablets screen would be on the whole time. I'm looking for a way or an app that would run that in the background and still be able to view from my phone while using the tablet as normal (this tablet is used to control the theater and all the lighting). When we're out of town, we have different house/dog sitters and we allow them to stay at the house and I give them full access to the basement/theater room. It's very simple to use with the Harmony set up and I don't mind at all they use it but I ask them not to fall asleep with the projector on. I do have cameras on the 3rd floor and 2nd floor, and they know that and they also know there's no cameras in the basement. This weekend, we had a sitter that put on over 20 hours on the projector.

Last edited by VinnieB; 03-02-2020 at 10:20 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-02-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Within our myServer system, we have our "myUI.apk" that runs on Android. Even though our user interface is browser HTML5 based (no need for an "app" on the device), we built this "app" for things like video conferencing so it can take control / use device hardware (like the camera).

So, look for software that runs on the phone for video conferencing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-03-2020, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-2020, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

I found something that works, almost. It's kinda buggy as sometimes it'll turn my screen off but after a restart of the tablet, it hasn't done it. It's called "AtHome" and requires two different apps to be installed on each device. One app (blue app) for the streamer/camera and one app (red app) for the monitor. So far, working as I want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page