Best NVR ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2020, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: White Bear Lake, MN ----- CUSL2C, P3/1.0, 256Mb, HiPix, A2496, D50Q, Stewert 1.3g, Denon 3801,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Best NVR ?

I'm looking for a new NVR. Current is ICRealTime which I'll stay far away from. Quite poor UI, poor support for IOS, MacOS and TVOS. On the positive side it's worked consistently for 7 years.

One key feature I'm looking for in either the NVR or separately is to be able to monitor multiple cameras on an AppleTV either with a grid or tour. We are not doing a video matrix but instead Apple TV's on each TV in our house and we'd like to be able to call up security cameras from any TV.

Guy who sold me the ICRealTime is suggesting a Luma 510 (SnapAV). Looks OK but pricey. Their IOS app is OK but they do not have an Apple TV app. I could possibly airplay from a phone to Apple TV but that'd be a pain and I assume would be low resolution. Luma recommended using VLC on Apple TV but I don't believe it's possible to do a grid on it though I've not tried yet.

Of the other key players in the NVR world Reolink seems to get a lot of bad reviews. Swann slightly better but not great and Lorex & Hikvision possibly the best of the rest? Synology has some nice stuff but can only do 12 cameras. Also considered Ubiquiti but given the huge problems with their new products lately (Dream Machine fiasco, etc.) are shying away from them. Others we should consider?

Thanks,

Last edited by Aslan; 04-10-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2020, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I would look at Blue Iris. Build a PC or get a Dell Refurb for like $200-$300 which is more than powerful enough. The iOS/Android app is great. It is brand agnostic, works with 1,000's of cameras from many major (and unheard of) manufactures. This way you can get the specific camera you need for a solution vs just buying 8 cameras + NVR as a bundle. Different locations need different types of cameras based on POV, size, shape and a few other factors.

I do not have an Apple TV so not sure if there is an App available on that platform (I know there is an App in iTunes for iPads and iPhones).

You could use substreams to feed an app like this which says it works on an Apple TV: https://www.webcam-hq.com/ - only up to 15 cameras though

But you could use Blue Iris to record and for mobile viewing and use this https://www.webcam-hq.com/ for viewing on your TVs?
post #3 of 8 Old 04-11-2020, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: White Bear Lake, MN ----- CUSL2C, P3/1.0, 256Mb, HiPix, A2496, D50Q, Stewert 1.3g, Denon 3801,
Thanks for the link. Webcam-hq may be the ticket for a huge piece of this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
Thanks for the link. Webcam-hq may be the ticket for a huge piece of this thing.
no problem
good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2020, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
I'm looking for a new NVR. Current is ICRealTime which I'll stay far away from. Quite poor UI, poor support for IOS, MacOS and TVOS. On the positive side it's worked consistently for 7 years.

One key feature I'm looking for in either the NVR or separately is to be able to monitor multiple cameras on an AppleTV either with a grid or tour. We are not doing a video matrix but instead Apple TV's on each TV in our house and we'd like to be able to call up security cameras from any TV.

Guy who sold me the ICRealTime is suggesting a Luma 510 (SnapAV). Looks OK but pricey. Their IOS app is OK but they do not have an Apple TV app. I could possibly airplay from a phone to Apple TV but that'd be a pain and I assume would be low resolution. Luma recommended using VLC on Apple TV but I don't believe it's possible to do a grid on it though I've not tried yet.

Of the other key players in the NVR world Reolink seems to get a lot of bad reviews. Swann slightly better but not great and Lorex & Hikvision possibly the best of the rest? Synology has some nice stuff but can only do 12 cameras. Also considered Ubiquiti but given the huge problems with their new products lately (Dream Machine fiasco, etc.) are shying away from them. Others we should consider?

Thanks,

Axis makes some of the best Ip cameras and NVR units out there.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-14-2020, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

the best suggestion is to get an agnostic NVR. get the cameras you need for the situation and an NVR that can handle multiple types of cameras. If AXIS NVR can do that then it is something to consider. I personally prefer the control over Blue Iris as I can update the PC hardware, update the drive and I know it works with any ONVIF camera.

Axis is one of the few companies making their own products - lots of other camera companies are just OEM's Dahua or Hikvision hardware. So that is something unique about Axis, but that doesn't mean Dahua or Hik are bad.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2020, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 118
ExacVision NVR. Good commercial duty product line.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-18-2020, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all. Unbelievably complicated decisions :-)

I kind of tossed Blue Iris because of Windows. Like others I've had too many issues with trying to run stuff like this in a Windows environment. It is simply not robust/reliable enough. Too many lockups and other strange stuff which can create headaches for me and then WAF issues which begets more headaches...

Axis hsa some good stuff. We've a couple of cameras on the way to play with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
apple tv , nvr , security , security camera , surveillance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page