Where to put Insteon Inline Linc - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-17-2020, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb Where to put Insteon Inline Linc

Hey guys,

So I built a house a few years back with automation in mind. Basically I ran all lighting romex back to a closet in my office. I have 4 15A feeds to 14 relays. The 4 feeds each feed different quad blue boxes that have insteon inline lincs in them. This was enough to pass inspection but looks hideous. I decided with a new project I have coming up and new inspection that I would relocate all my equipment into the garage. The low voltage stuff isn't an issue, but I am worried about the 120vac stuff. I would have originally done this but I feared it would get too hot. Now I know that isn't true.

My question is how to put all of this 120vac equipment into something that is to code? I am installing two new subpanel (one for low voltage and one for high) but have no idea what to do with the 120vac one that will have all my lighting relays in it. Do I treat it like a normal subpanel and just install the relays inside attached to the breakers? (I feel like this isn't right). Can I use some sort of DIN rail system? Do I just wire nut it all together and put a cover on it? (I feel like this is to code but not the prettiest.)

I do plan to add solar shortly and would love if I could use the same box for both. The box is 42"x14.5".

Thanks in advance for any ideas or insight.

-Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon2k2 View Post
Hey guys,

So I built a house a few years back with automation in mind. Basically I ran all lighting romex back to a closet in my office. I have 4 15A feeds to 14 relays. The 4 feeds each feed different quad blue boxes that have insteon inline lincs in them. This was enough to pass inspection but looks hideous. I decided with a new project I have coming up and new inspection that I would relocate all my equipment into the garage. The low voltage stuff isn't an issue, but I am worried about the 120vac stuff. I would have originally done this but I feared it would get too hot. Now I know that isn't true.

My question is how to put all of this 120vac equipment into something that is to code? I am installing two new subpanel (one for low voltage and one for high) but have no idea what to do with the 120vac one that will have all my lighting relays in it. Do I treat it like a normal subpanel and just install the relays inside attached to the breakers? (I feel like this isn't right). Can I use some sort of DIN rail system? Do I just wire nut it all together and put a cover on it? (I feel like this is to code but not the prettiest.)

I do plan to add solar shortly and would love if I could use the same box for both. The box is 42"x14.5".

Thanks in advance for any ideas or insight.

-Dustin

So I would install a sub-panel explicitly for the relays, and make it in-wall, so you can wire it to the breaker panel with standard romex through the wall. Do not surface mount, as most electrical code does not allow that, unless you use Metal Clad for surface mounting the wiring. You can not use romex for surface mounting. (With some exceptions).

Can you provide a photo? it will help with others to get an idea.

HT1.0 | HT2.05 | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82II/RC-64II/RS-42II/RS-41II/RB-61II/CDT3800-C-II
post #3 of 3 Old 04-20-2020, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Tags
insteon , lighting , power