HELP needed - Automating my RF projector screen with a SONOFF smart relay ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smoothtlk

post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question HELP needed - Automating my RF projector screen with a SONOFF smart relay ?

Hello everyone,

I have an RF projector screen that I will like to automate its usage with Amazon Alexa.
I was thinking about SONOFF smart relay switches.
Is there a way to attach a SONOFF smart relay on the power cord of my RF projector screen, so I can finally integrate its usage with Amazon Alexa ?

For example, something like this one ?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07PBF97HL/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

My RF screen currently supports UP, DOWN and Pause functions but I am only interested for the UP and DOWN functions to be honest.

Thanks a lot.
Andreas

Last edited by ANDYK48; 05-18-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6574 Post(s)
Liked: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYK48 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have an RF projector screen that I will like to automate its usage with Amazon Alexa.
I was thinking about SONOFF smart relay switches.
Is there a way to attach a SONOFF smart relay on the power cord of my RF projector screen, so I can finally integrate its usage with Amazon Alexa ?

For example, something like this one ?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07PBF97HL/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

My RF screen currently supports UP, DOWN and Pause functions but I am only interested for the UP and DOWN functions to be honest.

Thanks a lot.
Andreas
These won't attach to the power cord. The screen probably has internally 2 switches and some relays because it has to change state from no voltage to positive voltage to negative voltage. The power cord just runs all this circuitry. You need to be able to get into the unit where the RF input runs into this stuff to do anything. What is the exact make/model of your setup?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
These won't attach to the power cord. The screen probably has internally 2 switches and some relays because it has to change state from no voltage to positive voltage to negative voltage. The power cord just runs all this circuitry. You need to be able to get into the unit where the RF input runs into this stuff to do anything. What is the exact make/model of your setup?
Hello and thanks for the reply
The screen is a custom made tab-tensioned ALR screen from a China manufacturer. I took the stupid decision to order it only with RF control instead of both RF and IR control.
Is there anything I can attach to the power cord that will work or anything that can be attached to the remote control ?
What more information you need in order to be able to advise me ? photo of the remote control or photo of the actual wired control.
Thanks again for everything.
Regards,
Andrdeas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 115
There is nothing that is literally attached to the power cord that will help.
You would have to open up the RF control board, reverse engineer what wire leads to the motor are triggered. Then you would have to solder likely a Double Pole / Double Throw relay so when it's energized one way the screen goes up to it's limit and when the relay is reversed it goes down to the limits. Once that is figured out, then you must need to get a smart switch to control the voltage to the DPDT relay coil.

It doesn't sound like you have much background in this type of stuff so find someone who does that will find some interest in looking into it for you.
markmon1 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

Thanks everybody for their replies.

Indeed, I do not have a background in this stuff

I thought I could cut the power cord of the projector screen, wire a proper smart relay before the RF control box and in this way I could trigger the projector via wi fi to go up and down.......

An alternative solution would be a Broadlink RM Pro+ rf bridge, but does it work with projector screens ?
I have a Sonoff one that unfortunately does not work with my projector screen. Although the RF remote is 433.92, its functions cannot be learned by Sonoff.

Thanks again.
Andreas
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If your screen alternates between going Up all the way, and going Down all the way by plugging / unplugging / plugging in the screen motor, then yes, it's possible to automate with a simple smart on / off relay (switch). But I doubt that's how yours works as you have said it has a handheld remote control.

You could hack the handheld remote and put a smart relay in place of the contact switches in the remote. But again, they takes some hobbiest interest and background and a soldering iron to figure out and implement.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
I thought I could use a smart relay that was gonna trigger the UP, DOWN and PAUSE functions of the screen when using the relevant app on my phone via wifi.....

Ah well... Is there a way to replace the RF module on the screen with an IR one ? Do they sell this kind of things anywhere and how difficult would that be ?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the many questions.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

I have also found this smart wi fi curtain switch. Can this possibly work ?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartcurtainswitch.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2730456  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2020, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Depends on the screen motor, how it's wired, and if you have enough understanding to properly wire it. But, possibly it would work. You then need a way to control that switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Automation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page