wifi walkman? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
wifi walkman?

Can anyone suggest a portable internet radio like a walkman I can use while working outside? I don't and won't have a smartphone. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-25-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
I don't know of any portable/headphone type device except a smartphone. But good news, you can buy a cheap one just for that purpose and never use it as a phone, just connect it to your home wifi. You can buy a cheap no-contract (pre-parid) phone at Walmart or BestBuy. Here's an example.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/simple-...?skuId=5948513

Your other choice would be some type of portable speaker and a ChromeCast audio. If you buy a speaker with a usb power port, it will power the CCA. You'll not have control while in the yard though, as it must be controlled from a phone or computer.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret53147 View Post
Can anyone suggest a portable internet radio like a walkman I can use while working outside? I don't and won't have a smartphone. Thanks
Just do a search on amazon and you will find hundreds of mp3 players for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-29-2019, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I never got back to thank you for your suggestions. I have an mp3 player and use it but would like to have something like my internet radio setup at home. I work on a golf course and don't get reception very well, fm or am, not even with the CCrane CC Pocket I just wasted my money on. I don't even know if there is a portable internet receiver that will pull in the wifi through a pole building up to a mile away. The miles and miles of irrigation wire buried underneath me and the interference from the machines wreak havoc with reception. Anyway, I'm still open to ideas. Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-29-2019, 08:43 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret53147 View Post
I never got back to thank you for your suggestions. I have an mp3 player and use it but would like to have something like my internet radio setup at home. I work on a golf course and don't get reception very well, fm or am, not even with the CCrane CC Pocket I just wasted my money on. I don't even know if there is a portable internet receiver that will pull in the wifi through a pole building up to a mile away. The miles and miles of irrigation wire buried underneath me and the interference from the machines wreak havoc with reception. Anyway, I'm still open to ideas. Thanks.
I don't know of any standalone portable devices that will do WiFi audio streaming. I know you don't and won't have a smartphone, but that seems like the only device that will do it (it doesn't really make sense for any manufacturer to build a Wifi-only portable music player player (that's almost an oxymoron) or to build a device that handles cell-based internet and runs apps but isn't a phone). The closest thing would be a Wifi-only tablet (iPad or Android), but that is probably too large.

All you need is WiFi and something to run the app. I would suggest borrowing somebody's old smartphone that they updated from, load tunein or iHeartRadio app on it, then go to that area and see what you can pick up on WiFi. If that test works, you can likely buy somebody's old phone for next to nothing to use as a Wifi-only music device (and you shouldn't need a cell contract on that phone for Wifi only).

Last edited by pjp; 10-29-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page