Sony Walkman "Dynamic Normalizer" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By robi1138

post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Sony Walkman "Dynamic Normalizer"

Just picked up a Sony NW-A45 Walkman. Am happy with it but like all of Sony's portable music players the volume output isn't quite as loud as I'd like it to be sometimes. There is a feature called "Dynamic Normalizer" which is supposed to level the overall volume between songs when in shuffle play mode. In regular mode, it boosts the volume enough for my liking.

My question is this: is this feature a sort of gain boost or is it a dynamic compressor? It doesn't seem to compress the dynamics to my ears, but merely boost the overall level. Do you agree or disagree?

Thanks!

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-02-2018, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Will get this soon...how is the fm radio quality...since this is a hi-res DAP, does the fm sound better compared to other fm players? Thanks
post #3 of 4 Old 11-18-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1138 View Post
Just picked up a Sony NW-A45 Walkman. Am happy with it but like all of Sony's portable music players the volume output isn't quite as loud as I'd like it to be sometimes. There is a feature called "Dynamic Normalizer" which is supposed to level the overall volume between songs when in shuffle play mode. In regular mode, it boosts the volume enough for my liking.

My question is this: is this feature a sort of gain boost or is it a dynamic compressor? It doesn't seem to compress the dynamics to my ears, but merely boost the overall level. Do you agree or disagree?

Thanks!
I'm interested in picking up this unit to listen to Flac music, since you've had it for a few months now; is it worth it?

I'd like to get a set of 1more triple driver earbuds to use with this as well, any thoughts?

So What?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2gtfd View Post
I'm interested in picking up this unit to listen to Flac music, since you've had it for a few months now; is it worth it?

I'd like to get a set of 1more triple driver earbuds to use with this as well, any thoughts?

I like it, but I'm no expert on portable music players so I can't compare it with other models or manufacturers. I also don't listen to it a ton but it has nice sound. I just use it at home occasionally with my Philips Fidelio X2s and they sound good. I'm also listening to FLACs ripped from CDs that aren't known for their great sound quality but there were some hi-res samples on the player that sound very nice. The volume is good but not great on older CDs mixed at lower levels, but I do like it loud. The volume normalizer can help but it definitely compresses the dynamic range which I don't like. The equalizer is a nice feature and overall I'm pleased with the unit. I'm not familiar with triple driver ear buds so I can't offer you my opinion but they sound good with the Philips and with my Sennheiser and Shure cans.
rr2gtfd likes this.

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Portable A/V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page