M.2 SSD in a 3.1 USB storage device - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-15-2018, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 7
M.2 SSD in a 3.1 USB storage device

Not sure where to post this but came across a youtube video that showed the guy putting a m.2 SSD drive into a USB housing, and since i have 500+ movies/TV series on my HTPC, whenever we go on vacation and stay in either a hotel or air BNB, i always bring a usb with movies on it since my laptop doesn't any room on it. I do have a portable 2tb and 4tb hard drive but those are big and heavy and require its own power source. I would love to game on my vacation but like i said the laptop has 1 game on it and its pretty much full. So when i saw this i wanted to give it a try because 1. transfering blue ray movies across usb take about 5-7 mins per movie 2. USB sticks are very limited to how much space they can actually store 3. i can store games on there and get SSD performance. 4. The device is 3.1 usb. There are small portable SSD hard drives out there that come with a usb dongle, but the youtube video showed the m.2 device was a little faster still. The device is a silverstone ms09 and i paired it with a samsung m.2 evo 860 500gb SSD, love it so far. Note you cannot use NVME m.2 as the USB isnt powerful enough to power it and depending on what your USB your device has will change to speed. For example the results im gonna post is from a USB 3.0 on my laptop, so they would be faster if my laptop had a 3.1 usb. Also the program i downloaded to test the results are in german, could not figure out how to get it into english but since i was only looking for numbers i didnt stress too much about it. The device is much bigger than your average usb stick and was worried about it staying in USB, but after testing it it stays in with no problems, as of only 1 day of playing with it i am happy but only time will tell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180615_145216.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	2416566   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180615_145742 (2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	608.9 KB
ID:	2416568   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180615_145936 (1).jpg
Views:	25