OFFICIAL SONY 32/37 XBR6 FULL HD 120Hz - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

For me its come down to the 32 XBR6 or the Panny 32LZ800. I may be leaning toward the panny because I know for sure it has 120hz processing.

Is the Panasonic a matte or glossy screen? I usually like Sony panels because they can usually get good image quality with a matte coating. I can't stand glossy screens, personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

For me its come down to the 32 XBR6 or the Panny 32LZ800. I may be leaning toward the panny because I know for sure it has 120hz processing.

BTW, if anyone is wondering why not a bigger set? Its going in our bedroom and I have not convinced the wife of anything bigger than 32"

If you compare the two side by side and money is not an object, I think you'll pick xbr6. I dont what sony does but nothing beats 32xbr4 and it's going to take a lot of engineering if other brands want to beat 32xbr6 PQ. Sony tech support told me it does HAVE 120hz and 8 bit not 10 bit.
post #123 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Raj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

Just out of curiosity...why a 32 inch TV? Is it money constraints or a preference for smaller screens?

My two cents.... I started out with the 40XBR4 and couldn't stand the noise level as it was a bedroom TV. The 32" Sony loaner I have is completely quiet. I expect that when I get my 32XBR6 it will be quiet as well. I'm guessing the new 40" Sony's will still be noisy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Anyone who has the 32xbr6 did it come with a pedestal to put it on???????????????
Sonystyle says sold seperatly?
post #125 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Yes, the unit DOES come with a stand. Being "separate" was a poor choice of words. By "separate" they mean the stand is in fact separate from the display (but included in purchase.)
post #126 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Thanks as soon as my local bb gets them in i will be getting it now, the tv w/out stand had put me off. Thanks for the quick reply
post #127 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthavorn View Post

If you compare the two side by side and money is not an object, I think you'll pick xbr6. I dont what sony does but nothing beats 32xbr4 and it's going to take a lot of engineering if other brands want to beat 32xbr6 PQ. Sony tech support told me it does HAVE 120hz and 8 bit not 10 bit.

This is encouraging news. If I can get the xbr6 for a good price, it could be my choice. FYI, if you saw last years Panny 32LX700(not the LX70) which has 120hz processing along side a 32xbr4 its closer than you think. Panny is every bit as good in terms of PQ as the Sony.

Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS4
post #128 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 PM

I just got off the phone today with Sony tech support this afternoon, and they told me this:

"Because the unit use the BRAVIA® Engine2 the unit is not considered to be a 8 bit or 10 bit panel as it uses complex color/shading algorithms to display the most accurate color."

I then asked here why the XBR7 units, or for that matter why any other unit that is said to use the "BRAVIA® Engine 2" has a processing/displayable bit depth clearly noted.

She was silent for about half a minute, and then tried to
come up with a response but couldn't.

I would laugh if it ended up being like Apples "millions of colors" scam, I would be pissed although as i would like to just have a unit that fits what i want in it...
post #129 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM

I really don't understand why people are debating about the specs when its all over the sony website and has been confirmed through sony reps?

I'm about to buy the 32 xbr6, tho I do want to go into the store and take a good look at it first.
post #130 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
A better question is if the picture is superior to anything else out there, then who cares about the specs?
post #131 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Hi to everybody. I am very interested in using this screen as a pc monitor but I have a few questions that I am dieing to know the answer to. First and most importantly is if it is possible to turn off the dynamic contrast. The other monitor I was looking at was the Lc-32GP1U because my friend owned it and it looked spectacular except that the picture would get brighter and darker because of the dynamic contrast which he could not turn off. This made surfing the web and other task very annoying as the colors and such would constantly change. The refresh of this screen the LC-32GP3U fixed this issue but does not have as many feature as this screen. So I would like to know if it can or cannot be turned off. Also I would like to know how text looks. Thanks in advanced.
post #132 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM

Hey guys ive got the tv and i dont know if it is 120 hz or not but when i watch standard sd it almost seems like i get the soap opera effect? it seems like the frames are smoother especially when cinemotion is on? i was wondering if anyone has any similar effect (btw it is just sd sat. tv)

Edit: when i turn off cinemotion i do not notice the soap opera affect on standard programming... anyone else tried this?

Edit AGAIN: Sorry guys just thought this might be a break through.. might be something stupid either way here it goes. I have SD Dish network sat. I have it plugged in through composite (A/V Yellow Red White) cables. When i do turn cinemotion on AUTO1 I can clearly see the soap opera effect (noticed by my family members as well). I wonder in this unit if that has replaced motion flow or if it has something to do with the 24p? It is really weird but i have done it several times with AUTO 1 and see the soap opera effect and when turned off i do not notice it. maybe this can clear up some of the issues whether the tv is 120hz. If anyone wants to try it at home make sure that cinemotion is turned on (it is inherintly off if you have if plugged up directly to rf in/tv in) and see if you see the same results! Thanks
post #133 of 935 Old 05-05-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedie View Post

Anyone who has the 32xbr6 did it come with a pedestal to put it on???????????????
Sonystyle says sold seperatly?

Actually, sonystyle lists the pedestal as "Accessories Supplied" (separate) vs (attached) like the power cord.

The specifications say nowhere that I can see that the pedestal is "sold separately".
post #134 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 AM

After much reading, calling, wondering....
I am beginning to think that the XBR6 DOES have 120Hz technology in the form of CineMotion but it does NOT have Motionflow specific 120Hz technology. Admittedly I am not an expert by any means. I have be reassured more than a few times by Sony that this unit does have 120Hz. I'm going to go to CC again to check out this model and mess with the Cinemotion settings.
post #135 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Actually, sonystyle lists the pedestal as "Accessories Supplied" (separate) vs (attached) like the power cord.

The specifications say nowhere that I can see that the pedestal is "sold separately".

Yes, the pedestal comes with it in the same box. You just have to attach with three screws provided.
post #136 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glintmasser View Post

After much reading, calling, wondering....
I am beginning to think that the XBR6 DOES have 120Hz technology in the form of CineMotion but it does NOT have Motionflow specific 120Hz technology. Admittedly I am not an expert by any means. I have be reassured more than a few times by Sony that this unit does have 120Hz. I'm going to go to CC again to check out this model and mess with the Cinemotion settings.

here's an explanation of what cinemotion does.
Quote:

CineMotion® Reverse 3-2 Pull- Down Technology
Sony's term for a TV circuit that detects a 3-2 Pull-Down sequence and performs the reverse or inverse operation. When film studios release their work on TV, DVD, or videotape, they have to transfer film (which runs at 24 frames per second) to video (which runs at 30 frames per second). How do you get 24 into 30 without speeding up the film? Well, first take note that video actually flashes 60 half frames, called "fields," per second because of its interlaced scan. The film studio has a machine (telecine) that takes one film frame and transfers it to three video fields, then takes the next film frame and transfers it to two video fields-thus 3-2. The technology makes it possible to watch films at home, but creates imperfections and subtle speed shifts in the movie. A Reverse 3-2 Pull-Down circuit looks at the video as it's coming through the television, and in a split second rearranges the fields into whole film frames like completing a puzzle. The surprising thing is that the TV's circuit doesn't have to interpolate, or guess, how the film frames actually started out; it has all the necessary clues and can re-create the film perfectly. Sony's CineMotion® technology takes additional steps to make the image as close to the original film as possible.

the smoothing effect some of you are seeing is the 2:3 pulldown on film sources(24p) only. 120hz refresh rate doesn't produce the soap opera effect. it's the frame interpolation tech. such as Sony's motionflow or samsungs AMP that does. So I guess Cinemotion is similar in that it messes with how the frames in film material are displayed, so you probably won't see the effect in video games and other sources, that's where motionflow or AMP comes in. hope that explains it and put to rest the 120hz debate. so in conclusion, no 120hz motionflow on small Xbr6s. I'm actually surprised not alot have been disccused about this Cinemotion feature here because its been in sony TV's for quite a few years I think and no1 seemed to make a big deal out of it like motionflow or AMP was.
post #137 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 PM

So I guess my question is now is whether the 32XBR6 looks better than the 32XBR4. Does anybody have any input on that? I know the 32XBR4 is only 720p, but if it looks better....it looks better.
post #138 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

We have had the 32XBR6 since early April, sold out and have our second shipment. There is no 120hz. Yes the pedistal is seperate and packed in the box with three screws to attach.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
post #139 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM

In your opinion, is the 32XBR6 better than the 32XBR4?
post #140 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 04:39 PM

Anyone that has seen the 32-XBR6, please explain your impression of the "see through" space under the screen, that allows the cables to be seen. I have back lighting installed behind my system, which would present a totally unacceptable viewing of this unit. It's bad enough to have a "glossy black" frame, but this would discourage me from purchasing this model.
post #141 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 04:46 PM

View attached image...to see "see through area"
LL
post #142 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 PM

Does the XBR6 display 1080p through component input? This is important because my 360 has component only. Btw, anyone tried 360 on the XBR6 yet? Hows it look?
post #143 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsnls View Post

Anyone that has seen the 32-XBR6, please explain your impression of the "see through" space under the screen, that allows the cables to be seen. I have back lighting installed behind my system, which would present a totally unacceptable viewing of this unit. It's bad enough to have a "glossy black" frame, but this would discourage me from purchasing this model.

Why wouldn't you just route the cables around the hole or you could cover it up from behind with something black if you are desperate.

In any case, I'm sure we would all be much happier if all posts about the "holes" would disappear into a hole.
post #144 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 07:52 PM

I agree with you GTV, the "hole" really isn't that. The wires have to go somewhere don't they?

As to whether or not the XBR6 will dislplay 1080p with component, the answer is yes. It will NOT dislplay 1080p/24 however. Something to think about...
post #145 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 PM

why or why not buy from amazon.com which does not charge tax and shipping
post #146 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM

This is probably a silly question but if you hook up headphones to the headphones jack, does the speaker sound mute and sound only transmits to the headphones only? I know the headphones jack is in the back, what kind of design is that?
Also, does this unit have a QAM tuner?
post #147 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
After a week of testing 32XBR6 using additional equipment:
- Sony Blu Ray player BDP-S500
- Sony Playstation 3
- PC with LG Blu Ray Burner & ATI Radeon XT2600HD + PowerDVD HD Ultra
- Blue Ray discs used: Live Free or Die Hard, Spiderman 3, Employee of the Month, Day After Tomorrow (all 1080p24 coded);

here what I have noticed:

1. CineMotion set to Auto1 eliminates judder effect but ONLY when inputing 60p or 60i video signal. You can clearly see it on almost every Blu Ray movie. The smoothing effect is very similar to "Auto Motion Plus" set to High used by Samsung.

2. XBR6 proudly accepts 1080p24 signal. However CineMotion smoothing engine is NOT EFFECTIVE no matter how you set it (Auto1, Auto2, Off). So with 24p signal you will get the judder no matter what.

I have also checked just arrived KDL-40W4100 model in my local SonyStyle store for MotionFlow function, here what I have noticed:

3. The MotionFlow as an addition to CinemaMotion does not make much difference when playing 1080p source coded blue ray discs. The only function that makes noticeable difference is CineMotion - also present on 32XBR6.

4. I was not able to check MotionFlow function with SourceDirect 1080p24 signal. The salesperson was not willing to change the player output signal setup. I will try to make another attempt to do so.

6. Sony BDP-S500 Blu Ray player, although equipped with Bravia Sync function does not support XBR6 series extended Bravia Sync functionality through HDMI like Play, Stop, Rev, Ffd, etc. It only enable basic ON/OFF functionality. Btw, this player is really slow, wait for the new model or get Sony PS3. Or if you still want Sony wait till summer, they are releasing new player series with 2.0 model and full Bravia Sync functionality to use with your XBR6 LCD TV.

The bottom line:

- If you want to see a real difference with Blue Ray movies, get Sony LCD TV that has CineMotion function. Do not bother with additional MotionFlow, I was not able to tell the difference. 32XBR6 has the CineMotion function.

- Sony 32XBR6 as well as all upcoming XBR6 series models has 10-bit panel and processing. All the mumbo jumbo about 8-bit is just a gossip.

- The only con against Sony is lowering screen contrast while moving away from the screen center axis. It's actually much worse comparing to the latest Samsungs (LNxxA550/650/750) models. There is noticeable contrast drop starting from 45 deg. on each side from the screen axis. And that is a shame, especially when Sony is priced around ~$300 more than competitor. But if you watch TV sitting at the center, do not bother what I have just said.

- If you want the same functionality as for XBR6 series but with much better contrast ratio, get Samsung LNxxA650 model 40" or up. But if you can't fit more than 32" into your room, stick with XBR6 - it's the best performer in this screen size class and it has CineMotion that makes a huge difference. No other competitor has similar smoothing engine in 32" class.

More pictures to come. Regards, Steve
post #148 of 935 Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa View Post

2. XBR6 proudly accepts 1080p24 signal. However CineMotion smoothing engine is NOT EFFECTIVE no matter how you set it (Auto1, Auto2, Off). So with 24p signal you will get the judder no matter what.

In an earlier post you said that its smooth with 24p input. So does it have the same judder you would get from say 60p or 60i with CineMotion set to off? I was hoping this set would display 24p without judder.

Mongol General:"What is best in life?"
Conan:"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
post #149 of 935 Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you want to see a real difference with Blue Ray movies, get Sony LCD TV that has CineMotion function. Do not bother with additional MotionFlow, I was not able to tell the difference. 32XBR6 has the CineMotion function.

I don't know about not bothering with motionflow but don't you think this is where the 120hz comes in handy with 5:5 pulldown? although who knows if sony can do it properly. too bad the salesguy wouldn;t let you try 24p on the W4100, since that set has 120hz.

btw all 2008 bravias have cinemotion except the L/M/S/4000 models.
post #150 of 935 Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 AM

*Delete*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page