DVI - to - HDMI..... why is it not full screen?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, first time poster here.

Got a quick question for you.

What might be a reason for a screen to not show a fullscreen image when getting a feed in the HDMI connection that is coming from a DVI source with an HDMI adapter?

I just bought an HP w2408h monitor for my pc. It comes with the standard VGA plug and HDMI, but no DVI. I can feed DVI to either one via adapters. The VGA plug will show the full screen, but the HDMI plug puts it up with roughly a 1" border on all sides between the physical edge of the screen and the image or desktop being fed to the monitor.

Is there a different adapter I need to get?? My current PC video card is dual DVI output.

What other solutions might there be?

I have gone through all the monitor option, software options, vid card settings, etc. Nothing affects the HDMI feed so far.

Thanks for any tips on this. While the VGA feed works ok, I figure there is probably some degradation in using that option. Or feel free to correct me if that is a misconception.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 2870
It sounds like you don't have the resolution on your PC set correctly to the native resolution of your display.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. That's not it. That was my first thought. The native resolution for the screen is 1920 x 1200 and I have cycled through all settings just to test. No matter what resolution it is set to on the DVI-HDMI wire, the workspace fills all but that 1" barrier around the edges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 PM

I had this happen to me as well.

If you have an ATI video card and it has any suspicion of you connecting to a TV (via the info it will receive via hooking it up digitally), the catalyst drivers will automatically add overscan.

It is easily fixed by going into the Catalyst drivers. Go down to below Display options, on mine it says DTV (DVI). One of the sub options off the DTV (after you click the plus) is Scaling Options. You can then use the slider to move the Overscan to 0%. It reacts in real time and is really pretty awesome if you are hooking up to an older tube projection HDTV to dial in the overscan. Good luck.

-Jeff
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent response! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page