Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for reference - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #421 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by garou View Post

Are 1080p tv's more laggy then their 720p counterparts?
Example 32" lg-lh20 vs 32" lg-lh30. If your playing an xbox360 game thats 720p will there be more lag on the lh30 set due to upscaling.

I'll be purchasing a tv with the intention of playing xbox 360 on it and watching comcast hd sports stuff should i pay 80 to 100 dollars more for 1080p

(not buying a blueray player in the forseable future)

well this does not matter on XB360's because the console will upscale any game to whatever output resolution you want to use.

but yes if you have to play a game at 720p (ps3 games are common for this) it will in a perfect world if all things are equal between both TV's besides the native resolution it would be slightly laggier on a 1080p TV because the TV will have to upscale it from 720p to 1080p.

how much lag this adds however varies a lot from model to model and brand to brand

best case scenario I've seen is my Panasonic 37S1, it adds a negligible amount of input lag when up scaling 720p I'd say around 6ms and when doing this its still faster than the majority of the LCD TV's on the market are when given a native resolution

I'd say the average 1080p LCD will only add about 10-16ms lag for upscaling 720p to 1080p and Samsung B series are the worst because their scalier's are very laggy and add huge amount of lag around 20-30ms from what i've seen

at 32" size display as long as your not setting real close to the TV or plan to use it as a PC monitor 720p will be perfectly fine and i would highly recommend the Panasonic 32X1 for nearly lag free 720p LCD TV for gaming

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

well this does not matter on XB360's because the console will upscale any game to whatever output resolution you want to use.

but yes if you have to play a game at 720p (ps3 games are common for this) it will in a perfect world if all things are equal between both TV's besides the native resolution it would be slightly laggier on a 1080p TV because the TV will have to upscale it from 720p to 1080p.

how much lag this adds however varies a lot from model to model and brand to brand

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all current "720P" TV sets actually 1366x768, and not true 1280x720P native? If so, then that means all 720P content is being upscaled automatically to the panels native resolution (1366x768).

Now i don't know how a lot of the magic works behind the scenes but if my logic makes any sense then there may not be any advantage to a so-called 720P TV since all content is being upscaled to 768P anyway.

Don't take my word for it though, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can weigh in with their thoughts.
post #423 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all current "720P" TV sets actually 1366x768, and not true 1280x720P native? If so, then that means all 720P content is being upscaled automatically to the panels native resolution (1366x768).

Now i don't know how a lot of the magic works behind the scenes but if my logic makes any sense then there may not be any advantage to a so-called 720P TV since all content is being upscaled to 768P anyway.

Don't take my word for it though, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can weigh in with their thoughts.

well this varies from 720p TV to 720p TV

most are 1366 x 768 though the 32X1 is for sure

it really does not matter a whole lot though because the less the size difference is to be scaled the less time it takes for most scaliers to do it

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Liked: 10
hey someone pointed out the game mode for the ex701 so later today I'll test again. I checked the menu and it is basically turning everyone off, even the sharpness is turned down.
post #425 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAlien View Post

hey someone pointed out the game mode for the ex701 so later today I'll test again. I checked the menu and it is basically turning everyone off, even the sharpness is turned down.

sweet i'll keep my fingers crossed

post #426 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Example 32" lg-lh20 vs 32" lg-lh30. If your playing an xbox360 game thats 720p will there be more lag on the lh30 set due to upscaling.

I'll be purchasing a tv with the intention of playing xbox 360 on it and watching comcast hd sports stuff should i pay 80 to 100 dollars more for 1080p

In theory a native 1280x720 panel, or scaling to 1366x768 used on most "720p" TVs, can be faster than scaling to 1080p, but in practice it depends more on the panel type and the speed of the specific scaler being used.

Actually, even a 1280x720 panel would still have to scale in most cases, since 720p almost always uses overscan. 1080p sets sometimes do this for 1080p signals too, but it's usually adjustable.

My 720p 37LH20 is pretty fast, but the 1080p L37S1 beats by a small amount, whether you use its scaler or let the xbox do it. The 1080p 37LH30, however, is considerably slower now, since they no longer use IPS panels. I'm think this is also the case for the 32" models, but you never know for sure until you peer into the rear vent to read the sticker on the actual panel.

The S1 and X1 are your best bet for low lag. The X1 might be a tiny bit faster at 720p, but you're really splitting hairs at that point.

Motion Focus on the S1 might make it a little better for sports, but all of the IPS panels are pretty good on blur. I think there's just a little less blur on my LH20 than the S1 has with Motion Focus off, and MF didn't work right with Rock Band, so overall I'm happy with the LH20. I'd say most people would do better with an S1, though.

As for the picture detail, as frito said, 720p really isn't an issue at 32" unless you're using a PC. Even at 37 I can't say it makes a difference for me.
post #427 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How about the LG SL90's performance? Don't try to compare it with the SL80. The SL80 is CCFL I believe while the SL90 is LED Edge
post #428 of 4404 Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM

My CRT won't let me come anywhere near 1920X1080. I had to settle on 1280X1024. Best it would do. If I forced it it would go out of range and go black.

On game mode it was interesting. The first two seconds of the test it was 90ms of lag! Then for one second it was 80ms, then it settled down into 70ms by about 3 seconds in. Didn't seem to change after that.

Maybe if I could scale everything to 1920x1080 it might be faster but that's all I can do with my stuff.
post #429 of 4404 Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

In my personal experience with my Sony 32XBR6 that had an S-PVA and my buddy's Samsung 46B630 that has a AUO PVA panel

the sony showed zero change in picture quality with game mode, Photo mode on the Sony would improve picture quality with a good enough source (like a PC) and performed as good in photo mode as it did in game mode because photo mode disabled all video processing (Noise reductions get disabled, cinemotion is disabled etc.)

here is a thread on Sony BE2 intentional blurring with plently of photo's showing it

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099702

My buddy's Samsung 46B630 is quite similar to the Sony, his PC input was sharper than my Sony's in normal and game modes but switching it to the special PC mode on the HDMI/DVI input also greatly improved picture quality when used with a PC indicating that the Samsungs also use low level blurring like sony's in normal modes and game mode does not shut this off.

as for game mode vs normal mode on a Samsung without AMP turned on, from what i can recall it did not impact picture quality on his 46B630 (A panel)

as for how the best performing TV's look picture quality wise vs sony and samsungs. well that all depends on the model specifically, I can only speak with confidence on model's i've used myself extensively so I will say what i've experienced

keep in mind here that this is to my eyes, I'm not a picky calibrator type but do appreciate an image that can come close to calibrated via a decent calibration disc.

Sony 32XBR6
Pro's
great black levels
good viewing angles for an LCD
great color reproduction
Acceptable motion blur without the use of a motion enhancer (actual pixel response) with the distinct downside of poor black to white pixel response time, it would display light grey ghost trails on dark/black objects moving over a light/white background. this is a side effect if RTC and i do have photo's of it

very fast internal scalier/deinterlacer i tested this thing for input lag in game mode with a composite video input and it was only 10 ms higher than its lowest possible lag setting making it much better than samsungs with lower resolution upscaling speed wise

Con's
Input lag bordering on usable for most people and bad for serious gaming possibility of clouding and flashlighting (my sony had some mild flashlighting, my buddy's samsung has none of the above but everyone knows about how this issue varies with VA panels and tends to go up with bigger screens)

Toshiba 40xv645u

Pro's
good blacks (only in its sweet spot)
best text sharpness i've ever seen on an LCD TV
good color reproduction (out of game/PC modes)
Acceptable motion blur without 120hz clearframe on and out of game mode(for an LCD)

Neutral
good input lag in game/PC modes (but with major drawbacks i will note below)

Con's
Horrendous viewing angles, some of the worst i've ever seen on a modern LCD TV from a name brand, most notably with dark/black images anything not viewed within 15 degrees! of centered results in a strong purple color to the blacks
Clearframe 120hz/smooth motion had plenty of artifacting and glitches that were very obvious at times in movies
game/PC modes brought 2 terrible problems to the table
#1 very bad pixel response time with dark transitions, a moving dark image will just smear across the screen like and old non TFT LCD laptop screen from the 90's
#2 bad color range, showing gradients of any of the primary colors would result in tons of banding, more banding than my 6 bit TN PC monitor!

Panasonic 37S1
Pro's
Best input lag you will find in an LCD TV bar none
great color reproduction zero banding with gradient tests (10bit IPS panel)
excellent horizontal viewing angles for an LCD (IPS-Pro panels by IPS-Alpha have for awhile been regarded as the best with viewing angles)
good motion resolution for an LCD (still not as good as TN panels are but better than any VA panel i've used)
no picture mode or setting on this TV will increase input lag, its always low and even running a 720p input into it barely increases input lag so its one of the few 1080p TV's that can upscale 720p and still provide you with 20ms input lag

Neutral
acceptable blacks during the daytime

Con's
Poor blacks at night/in dim conditions (common with IPS LCD's)
less video pre processing than other laggier TV's resulting in a more sharp picture all the time but this has the effect that poor quality and highly compressed video looks anywhere from ok to bad where on a TV like a Sony or Samsung it would still not look great but would look better due to their built in blurring/blending techniques mainly

as for visual evidence of thing's I've been saying thats pretty hard to do because camera's cannot capture what your eye sees most of the time anyways and well 3 out of 4 of those TV's i'm talking about are no longer in my possession
(the samsung is my friends, the Sony i gave to the parents to replace their CRT TV and the Toshiba went back to best buy where it belongs )

i'm not going to speculate or go in depth on other model TV's i've never had a chance to use in a controlled environment without access to a PC to use test programs for blur and stuff of that sort on them because it would be inaccurate to do so

Thanks for the explanation. So is there a 52" IPS-Pro based TV that handles motion well (without lag inducing technology turned on) and has little lag while gaming? The panasonic doesn't seem to come in that size.
post #430 of 4404 Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I haven't been reading all the posts here as this thread keeps getting bumped several pages back by other threads, but has anyone posted input lag test results on an EX500 yet?
post #431 of 4404 Old 03-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:

A lot of the XBOX 360 and PS3 games are designed in only 720p. So if you have a 1080p TV, the xbox just upscales. But you don't really gain anything, except for maybe less jaggies and a slightly smoother picture. These consoles really never had too much graphics processing power to begin with. They are starting to show their age, because they aren't fast enough to render newer games in 1080p and keep a constant fast frame rate.
post #432 of 4404 Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Thanks for the explanation. So is there a 52" IPS-Pro based TV that handles motion well (without lag inducing technology turned on) and has little lag while gaming? The panasonic doesn't seem to come in that size.

no 52" sizes

55" LG's often use an IPS panel like the 55LH90

post #433 of 4404 Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

I haven't been reading all the posts here as this thread keeps getting bumped several pages back by other threads, but has anyone posted input lag test results on an EX500 yet?

not yet, it can take time to get results on new model TV's as many owners are unwilling to go through the trouble of testing their new TV's and often times they also don't want to discover a potential problem the TV may have

if you want to see how they perform i suggest if you have the money buy one and test it. if its too laggy for you return it for something known to be or at least has a better chance of being less laggy. panasonic and Sharps would be best choices and Toshiba's have been shown to do well but sometimes with major drawbacks as i discovered with the 40xv645u

I will say this though i fully expect the EX500 to be as laggy as sony's of the last few years because not much has changed inside the TV's at that end of their line up component wise, they are still using laggy VA panels and the EX700 that is using a much newer panel design made by Sharp (presumably at the moment but it could be something else) tested for pretty high lag numbers in the 70ms range when scaling the image so at best if given a native resolution i would expect it to drop 10 to 20 ms MAX putting at 50-60ms, in line with last year's sony's maybe a little bit worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

A lot of the XBOX 360 and PS3 games are designed in only 720p. So if you have a 1080p TV, the xbox just upscales. But you don't really gain anything, except for maybe less jaggies and a slightly smoother picture. These consoles really never had too much graphics processing power to begin with. They are starting to show their age, because they aren't fast enough to render newer games in 1080p and keep a constant fast frame rate.

Yeah the major consoles are showing their age, that's why i prefer PC gaming, if the hardware gets outdated i can always go buy a new card etc.

post #434 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 AM

Hi...

The first post of this thread convinced me to buy a Sharp 40 inch E77U (Sharp LC40E77U) since it really has low frame(i must say it's impressive) and seems like a really good tv overall. But i'd like to ask you guys some questions before...

1. Since the input lag test was done on a 52 inch, i'm wondering if the 40 inch input lag will be as low as the 52.

2. One of my friend said you shouldn't buy it because it's a 2 years old tv and won't last long and suggested me to buy a 2009-2010 tv instead. So now i'm wondering if i should take his advices or not...should i? Also do you guys know if the Sharp 2009 tvs or 2010 are any good for gaming?

I think that's it for now thanks for answering.
post #435 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDyZ View Post

Hi...

The first post of this thread convinced me to buy a Sharp 40 inch E77U (Sharp LC40E77U) since it really has low frame(i must say it's impressive) and seems like a really good tv overall. But i'd like to ask you guys some questions before...

1. Since the input lag test was done on a 52 inch, i'm wondering if the 40 inch input lag will be as low as the 52.

2. One of my friend said you shouldn't buy it because it's a 2 years old tv and won't last long and suggested me to buy a 2009-2010 tv instead. So now i'm wondering if i should take his advices or not...should i? Also do you guys know if the Sharp 2009 tvs or 2010 are any good for gaming?

I think that's it for now thanks for answering.

1. They are using the same Panel (as far as i know), results should be similar.

2. I'd say unless you're interested in 3D or LED backlighting, in other words: interested in spending a lot more money, keep it. I dont know why a 2009 TV would last longer than a 2008 TV, but that should be of no concern since the E77 is part of Sharps 2009 lineup.
post #436 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I will say this though i fully expect the EX500 to be as laggy as sony's of the last few years because not much has changed inside the TV's at that end of their line up component wise, they are still using laggy VA panels...

Now I recall where I heard that from, it was you. I mentioned on another thread here that the EX700s may be using BE3 vs BE2 because of the ASV vs VA panel and a few people asked for proof that the EX500s use VA. Some said they had heard both EX500s and 700s use the same panel. So at this point can you at least provide some credible sources for the claim that EX500 is VA type?

Anyways, regarding my question and your suggestion. It is not very practical for me to do a trial purchase and test for lag because as you said before it requires not just a camera, but a fairly fast shutter speed camera. I don't even have a cheap point and shoot let alone a fast shutter speed camera. It occurs to me one of the main reasons lots of people aren't lag testing their TVs is they don't game and/or aren't into photography.
Quote:

Yeah the major consoles are showing their age, that's why i prefer PC gaming, if the hardware gets outdated i can always go buy a new card etc.

True, but the reverse of that is more and more games are made for consoles and lazily ported to PC. The gameplay, graphics, controls, etc, sometimes all of the above can be dumbed down on the PC versions. It used to be the graphics were usually better on PC versions of multi platform games, but it's not always the case anymore. BFBC 2 is a prime example of a game rushed to PC with poor results, despite higher review ratings than it deserves.
post #437 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:

It is not very practical for me to do a trial purchase and test for lag because as you said before it requires not just a camera, but a fairly fast shutter speed camera. I don't even have a cheap point and shoot let alone a fast shutter speed camera.

I was able to do quite a bit of testing of various sets in-store just by asking. (Yes, it felt really weird doing so, but they were pretty nice about it.) After taking home three different sets, I wasn't ready for more. I'm amazed at the persistence of people like KVW (15 sets!)

As for the camera, it doesn't have to be fancy. I've had good results with a fairly old and modest Nikon E4100 by setting it to "Sports" mode. The file metadata says it is using 1/90th sec shutter, ISO 200, though I'm not sure this is accurate. I think it's really 1/60th second, as I get a full screen on the CRT with no overlap. Some of it is dim, but I think that's normal for 1/60th shots. Whatever it's really doing, it's allowed me to get very detailed test images.

Quote:

It occurs to me one of the main reasons lots of people aren't lag testing their TVs is they either don't game or aren't into photography.

I think it's more a matter of motivation. People often want to ask what the Internet can do for them, not so often what they can do for the Internet. (Yes, this is probably the most efficient way for it to function...)
post #438 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondras View Post

I think it's more a matter of motivation. People often want to ask what the Internet can do for them, not so often what they can do for the Internet.

I don't see it as lack of motivation to not want to go out and buy a camera capable of lag testing. Photography even on a casual scale can get expensive, time consuming, and obsessive. Lots of people aren't into it.

It would be nice were there easier methods of testing for lag, like a program that doesn't even require two displays and just measures the ms latency between a key or button pressed and the reaction onscreen.

Something that runs in the background of a game like Fraps. I'd rather buy a prog like that at say $20-$30 than buy a camera when I have no interest in photography whatsoever.
post #439 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I don't see it as lack of motivation to not want to go out and buy a camera capable of lag testing. Photography even on a casual scale can get expensive, time consuming, and obsessive. Lots of people aren't into it.

True enough. I rarely take any 'real' photos, mostly just quick pics of things as I take them apart so I can figure out how they go back together.

Quote:

It would be nice were there easier methods of testing for lag, like a program that doesn't even require two displays and just measures the ms latency between a key or button pressed and the reaction onscreen.

The problem with this is the many variables that can't be reliably accounted for, which make the TV's contribution to the lag unclear. Even in the case of Rock Band 2, with identical hardware and software in all cases, the results are inconsistent and regarded as unreliable.

I think our best hope is to come up with a process for using pics and multiple monitors that is as simple and consistent as possible across various hardware types. I think I've mostly worked out the "consistent" part, but it's far from "simple."
post #440 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

UPDATE: The conclusions in this post are not entirely correct. The outputs aren't synced, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the times are wrong. See this post.

While working on my "final report" for the 37LH20, I came across something troubling while using SMTT. Changes to the numbers on any given row should always be a multiple of 16.666 (one frame.) In most of my shots, the lagged numbers on the TV did not differ by this amount; it was usually more like 20.

The logical explanation would be a time difference in the outputs of the two ports on my 8600GT video card. If the video frames aren’t being generated at exactly the same time, the numbers might change in between. However, I thought I had already ruled this out – when I previously tested with two CRTs, the numbers were identical.

The only remaining way I could account for the difference was that it was somehow handling DVI and VGA differently. This seemed pretty unlikely, but I decided to test it. Using two identical Dell E2209W LCDs, I tested the various permutations of DVI and VGA inputs.

DVI-DVI

VGA-VGA

As expected, DVI/DVI and VGA/VGA showed absolutely identical numbers on the two screens – even pixel blur and split numbers were spot-on. It was when I got to the mixed DVI/VGA configurations that things got interesting…

DVI-VGA
VGA-DVI

With DVI on port 1 and VGA on port 2, DVI was showing values about 3-4ms behind VGA. Great, I thought – DVI lags a little behind VGA. The big surprise was that if I reversed it – VGA on port 1, DVI on port 2 – the DVI monitor was now ahead of VGA by 3-4ms. It’s not the interface type that causes the lag; it’s that only when the interfaces are different on the two ports, the first port lags.

At least with this particular video card, it’s a small enough difference to get lost in the margin of error of most timing tests. For example, the flatpanels.dk timer is terribly inaccurate, with about 10ms resolution and intermittent skips. SMTT, on the other hand has <1ms resolution, so the port difference is easily measurable and repeatable.

I’m curious about how common this port difference is on other video cards. I suspect that most nVidia cards will show some amount of difference, but I don’t know how much it will be. It definitely has potential to significantly impact test results.

Yes folks, it's yet another variable to account for. Testing by swapping ports will usually be enough to pick it up, but if you are somehow changing reference displays or interface types, it may go unnoticed.
post #441 of 4404 Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

no 52" sizes

55" LG's often use an IPS panel like the 55LH90

I need a 52"er. 55" is too big for my cabinet.

I don't see how anyone can stand the haloing around fast moving objects on any of the locally dimming LED. I checked out a few sets and could see it instantly...like a halo of random garbled pixels an entire inch all around fast moving objects!

What's up with the edge lit LEDs? Do they have any downfalls not inherent to the backlit systems?
post #442 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Something that runs in the background of a game like Fraps. I'd rather buy a prog like that at say $20-$30 than buy a camera when I have no interest in photography whatsoever.

Yep, exactly. It's just too difficult to have an "easy" lag test. Too few people will do it. That's why I liked the RB auto test (before I decided it's inaccurate), it's easy. I spent $120 on it though, 70 for the guitar and 50 game, just to test lag. Luckily I was able to return the guitar for 70.

Frito said you can use any camera, if so that helps a lot, but even now I often wonder how accurate results are there are just such an insane number of variables, such as just a few posts ago, the discovery of lag on different ports when using different outputs. Nobody knew about that before and many results could be tainted, etc etc. This could even be something that varies by driver revision and countless other factors.

You also ideally need a 1080P CRT, which nobody has anymore...and even fewer will have going forward.

Anyways personally, I'm kind of giving up, if I cant tell the lag, then I'm gonna leave it be. I say just go with a set recommended in this thread if you care, and then forget about it you'll only drive yourself crazy.

Anyways all that said, I saw a assumedly older 40" Sharp Aqous model (no model number was on the card) at Sears for 699. Thinking of returning my Phillips for it, I have about 2 days left to decide before my return window on the Phillips is up. It's advertised as having vyper drive. I noticed Sears is calling out game modes on their price cards as a positive feature (aka "this set has a game mode for fast gaming response!") and the like. Interesting as I dont see Wally World and Best Buy doing that. Maybe a future trend.
post #443 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM

After turning LED motion plus on...not AMP

Sorry for my feet, lol

55C7000 via HDMI
Samsung Syncmaster 914v via vga

Blu-ray Collection - 205
PS3 Collection - 25
LED Enthusiast, 3D Endeavor
post #444 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I am sorry too.

31ms thats 2 frames behind the action. Thats probably the best anyone could get out of a Samsung MVA panel.
post #445 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 AM

Waiting to test out Game Mode on CODMW2 today.

Blu-ray Collection - 205
PS3 Collection - 25
post #446 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

sweet, also please tell us what all the various picture settings as well as what resolution you tested it at etc.

oh and one last thing look on the left side of the back of the TV there is a small label and the last box on the label will tell us what panel is in that TV it will say AA01 SQ01 etc.

post #447 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Sorry, it's SQ01.

Resolution on the TV was 1680X1050 @ 60Hz. I'm a 16:10 kinda guy.
Resolution on the monitor...can't remember

Pic settings from camera or LED?

Blu-ray Collection - 205
PS3 Collection - 25
post #448 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGSR View Post

Sorry, it's SQ01.

Resolution on the TV was 1680X1050 @ 60Hz. I'm a 16:10 kinda guy.
Resolution on the monitor...can't remember

Pic settings from camera or LED?

both would be great

post #449 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:

both would be great

Camera was just 10M, ISO800, and auto flash
LED, just standard setting on HDMI/DVI 1 labeled PC with and without LED Motion Plus on.

Blu-ray Collection - 205
PS3 Collection - 25
post #450 of 4404 Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

wondras video card port delay is normal your card is pretty fast at only 4 ms but some have shown as much as 16 ms delay in clone mode, in the main post i cover this in the testing instructions.

in regards to SMTT your reading it incorrectly

how it works and why its so accurate vs other timers is that every single timer is in sync within the program (they show the same reading at the same time) but V-Sync is disabled and actual frame rates are very high so as your display refreshes from top to bottom the timers continue to advance. the result is timers will increase as you go from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen and you can always see where the oldest number and newest numbers meet is where oldest updated number and newest updated numbers are all the ones before the latest number are meaningless

no two displays will be in sync with the update scan so you must take the highest numerical numbers you can make out and compare those two to get the correct lag reading, this is why it has so many timers down the sides of the screen to get the most accurate figure removing the 16ms +/- error due whole single frame refreshes out of the equation completely as long as your framerate in SMTT is over 1000 fps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 55ex500 Series 55 Inch Lcd Tv Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page