the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 257 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 741Likes

post #7681 of 14815 Old 10-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yambag021 View Post
apologies in advance for the TL;DR post. any and all help is appreciated.

feel free to pm me as well, as i see this thread has a ton of activity, and i dont wanna miss any responses

Greetings all,

This is my first post here, bc I have been coming here often reading info on various home theater topics, so i figured I would post and ask for help from you guys.

Right now I have a 61 inch Samsung DLP set (I forget the model, but can get it if it helps).

I am in the process of upgrading to an LED. I'm for the most part sticking with a walmart purchase, via layaway (ghetto, i know lol). That's said, if some absurd black friday deal rolls around, i'm not opposed to pulling my cash and going elsewhere.

My uses are:
- video games (xbox one and ps4)
- sports
- TV shows (only in hd)
- streaming (i use netflix/amazon prime/cable streams via my xbox one)
- blu rays

Here are the tv's I have narrowed down my choices to. I'll provide the pros and cons i have for each after the model (cant post links yet, i copied exactly what is on the site to allow an easy search).

VIZIO M55-C2 55" 4K Ultra HD 2160p Class LED Smart HDTV (4K x 2K)

PRO
- 4k (is it really worth it?)

CON
- i REALLY like 60+, i know 55 is still a nice size, but side by side 55 looks so much smaller

vizio e65x-c2

PRO
- upgrading from 61 to 65 inches

CON
- is the 60 hz refresh going to look bad with that kind of size?

Sharp Aquos Lc-65le654u 65" 1080p Led-lcd Tv - 16:9 - Hdtv 1080p - 120 Hz

PRO
- 65 inches is an upgrade in real estate
- ill be honest, i have more faith in sharp than vizio

CON
- a little more than im looking to spen

There ya go guys. I'm at the mercy of your help on this. If it will help at all (with lighting/viewing angles), i'll be glad to post a pic of my current set up, just let me know!

Also, if you have any other suggestions, have at it.

Thanks in advance!
edited the second entry as i listed the same one twice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7682 of 14815 Old 10-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Samsung 6300J 40" vs. Vizio M-Series 43"?

Which is the smarter purchase?

Size: 40-43"
Viewing Distance: 9 feet
Content: Netflix, Amazon, Blu Ray, DVD, video files
Gaming: No

With the Samsung, the concern is I'd be missing out on 4K.

With the Vizio, the concern is the possible motion blur with the 60hz panel compared to Samsung's 120hz. Also, FWIW Consumer Reports was not enamored with Vizio as much as CNET and Rtings were.

I feel like either will be good, but I wish the choice was more clear cut. Any thoughts? Thanks.
post #7683 of 14815 Old 10-04-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred J Walsh View Post
Which is the smarter purchase?

Size: 40-43"
Viewing Distance: 9 feet
Content: Netflix, Amazon, Blu Ray, DVD, video files
Gaming: No

With the Samsung, the concern is I'd be missing out on 4K.

With the Vizio, the concern is the possible motion blur with the 60hz panel compared to Samsung's 120hz. Also, FWIW Consumer Reports was not enamored with Vizio as much as CNET and Rtings were.

I feel like either will be good, but I wish the choice was more clear cut. Any thoughts? Thanks.
At 9 feet, you will never tell the difference between 4k and 1080p-or probably 720p. Pick the set with the picture and features you like. The only reason to go 4k would be if you were going to use it to double as a computer monitor. Is the Samsung a true 120Hz panel or an "effective" refresh rate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7684 of 14815 Old 10-04-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
At 9 feet, you will never tell the difference between 4k and 1080p-or probably 720p. Pick the set with the picture and features you like. The only reason to go 4k would be if you were going to use it to double as a computer monitor. Is the Samsung a true 120Hz panel or an "effective" refresh rate?
how important is the 120hz vs the "effective" refresh rate?

i've mostly sold on the 65 invh vizio, but the walmart model where i'm probably getting it from, the 65 one (e65x-c2) is a 60hz while the best buy version of it (e65-c3) is the 120hz (but more money).
post #7685 of 14815 Old 10-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
At 9 feet, you will never tell the difference between 4k and 1080p-or probably 720p. Pick the set with the picture and features you like.
Thanks for the response. And I hear ya. The Samsung popped for me more, in the store. But that could in part be due to calibration. And the Vizio would offer 3 more inches viewing size... But the Samsung would match my other stuff and make it easier on my universal remote. I go back and forth. But I'll probably walk out with the Samsung.

Quote:
Is the Samsung a true 120Hz panel or an "effective" refresh rate?
My understanding from the Rtings website people is that the Samsung offers a true 120Hz panel, that they determined this to be true.
post #7686 of 14815 Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred J Walsh View Post
My understanding from the Rtings website people is that the Samsung offers a true 120Hz panel, that they determined this to be true.
from the Rtings site:
Quote:
Refresh Rate

This (The Samsung 6300J) is really a 120hz TV, as you can see from our motion interpolation test. This is surprising, because it is the first time since a long time that Samsung's refresh rate number is real.
post #7687 of 14815 Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys think there's anything terribly wrong with this set? Newegg receives are generally pretty positive, and they have it at my local Microcenter for $209. I'm going to use this primarily for gaming, and the response time is listed as 8.5 which is super nice. http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._-_Refurbished
post #7688 of 14815 Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys,
I'm looking at getting a 40" tv for my bedroom. Currently, I'm considering the Vizio e40 vs. the SamsungUN40J300 (the Best Buy exclusive of the 6200 which seems to have some minor upgrades).

I've read the great reviews for both on RTINGS.com, and I was leaning towards the Vizio due to the price. However, the more I think about it I don't mind paying somewhat more if the value is there, because in the long run it's not that big of a deal.

Feel free if there are other competitors right now for a no-frills, just pure picture quality 40" TV, let me know - it seems those are the 2 most suggested.

1. Budget

Like I said, I don't mind that much. I will spend more if it's worth it. That being said still want to keep it around $450 - Hence why I'm only looking at 1080.

2. Seating distance

I already calculated it out to determine this is the size I needed.

3. Size/placement limitations

Similar to above. I can mount it or put it on a media stand/table.

4. Uses and sources

This where it gets interesting:
I will be using it for several uses: HD Streaming (From my laptop, from my Chromecast, From my Firestick - it might be Netflix, streaming my local Plex Library, Youtube videos etc.), also streaming Twitch from my laptop via and HDMI cable (or even some of the smart devices I have like Chromecast), Sports, and Gaming.

Those are in no particular order. I will be using it for local HD streaming from my devices, sports, and gaming (Xbox One). I will not be doing anything super competitive, so I don't have a strict need for the best latency - but definitely would want something that wouldn't bother me. I would say gaming would be the 2nd thing I do on it most.

If I had to prioritize: 1) HD Streaming would definitely be it's biggest use, 2) gaming 3)sports (definitely close to 2nd).

If those conditions help decide on TV over the other I feel it was helpful to provide them.

5. Room lighting

My bedroom has no overhead lighting, all my lighting is from lamps so I can move them around to serve the room better.
I will watch in both daylight (blinds open during the day) and lights off for movies (or even just at night, lying in bed).

As I said I'm so far debating between the Vizio e40 and Samsung Un40J6300 vs. anything else I missed that is currently in the game right now?

Thanks for the help!
post #7689 of 14815 Old 10-06-2015, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hello all, I am in the market for a good quality 40" for my bedroom, want to spend around $800 but have some wiggle room.

The models I was considering were as follows:

Samsung UN40JU640D - http://www.bjs.com/samsung-40-smart-...?dimId=2000186

Its the right price but have heard some less than favorable things about the panel and the 60hz refresh rate

Samsung UN40J6300A - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4380092

Best buy only model, looks ok but ratings have it listed as below the above TV overall, though it is less money, stand would be an issue though in my case as I want to sit it on top of my Verizon DVR

Samsung UN40JU7100FXZA - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4687001

This is the best reviewed of the bunch, but it is on the high end of the cost spectrum, also not sure how I feel about the connect box vs just inputs on the back of the set, and the stand will be an issue as well.

I should add the bulk of this will be relegated to watching regular TV shows, Roku streaming either via Netflix, Amazon Prime, or local content, and a few Movies but all streamed, no blu ray or any other local devices and replaces a 60hz Toshiba 26AV500U

Any thoughts or other considerations I am missing are appreciated

Thanks
post #7690 of 14815 Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
OK. So I have decided to go with the Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA if I can find a good price or the Samsung UN65JU7100FXZA. Anyone ever order a TV online and had it delivered as that seems to have the best prices (Joe's AV, Nice Electronic's etc). Are there any sellers that pop into AVS that anyone has used? Had to rule out the Vizio due to motion blur during sports.
post #7691 of 14815 Old 10-06-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looking for a replacement TV for my (adult) son. ~40" would be good.
Two biggest uses are DirecTV viewing and gaming. Maybe 10% movies.
About 6 foot seating distance, straight on view. No off angle concerns

Don't need 4k.

Budget is a 2-300, give or take a bit.

Vizio E40-c2 looks interesting, as does a Samsung UN40H5003 on paper. I have not looked at either.

Not locked on anything at all and these are just cursory choices as a starting point.

Thanks!
post #7692 of 14815 Old 10-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Looking for a replacement TV for my (adult) son. ~40" would be good.
Two biggest uses are DirecTV viewing and gaming. Maybe 10% movies.
About 6 foot seating distance, straight on view. No off angle concerns

Don't need 4k.

Budget is a 2-300, give or take a bit.

Vizio E40-c2 looks interesting, as does a Samsung UN40H5003 on paper. I have not looked at either.

Not locked on anything at all and these are just cursory choices as a starting point.

Thanks!
post #7693 of 14815 Old 10-07-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
1. Budget

< ~$1500

2. Seating distance

13ft

Currently have 50" but willing to go up to 60"

4. Uses and sources

Xbox One
Streaming via Chromecast, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/HBO Go/ESPN etc.
Blue Ray
SD Cable

I watch a lot of football.

5. Room lighting

The room has two windows. One behind the seating area but it doesn't get very bright due to trees outside. The other is a slider off to the side facing north.

I'm looking at the Vizio M and Samsung JU7100, but maybe considering 4k is a waste of time. We've had our Samsung LED/DLP since the mid 2000's and are only replacing it because the chip is bad and we're getting the dreaded white dot effect. I'm considering 4k because I don't want to be left behind if I keep the next TV this long. We may buy a bigger home sooner than later and it's crossed my mind that the Vizio M is a fair compromise due to the low cost for the time being and it could be relegated to a second room if we find we're missing out on technology 3-4 years down the road.
post #7694 of 14815 Old 10-08-2015, 08:56 AM

Whoohoo....picking up the Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA today from BB.
post #7695 of 14815 Old 10-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW360 View Post
1. Budget

< ~$1500

2. Seating distance

13ft

4. Uses and sources

Xbox One
Streaming via Chromecast, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/HBO Go/ESPN etc.
Blue Ray
SD Cable

I watch a lot of football.

5. Room lighting

The room has two windows. One behind the seating area but it doesn't get very bright due to trees outside. The other is a slider off to the side facing north.

I'm looking at the Vizio M and Samsung JU7100, but maybe considering 4k is a waste of time. We've had our Samsung LED/DLP since the mid 2000's and are only replacing it because the chip is bad and we're getting the dreaded white dot effect. I'm considering 4k because I don't want to be left behind if I keep the next TV this long. We may buy a bigger home sooner than later and it's crossed my mind that the Vizio M is a fair compromise due to the low cost for the time being and it could be relegated to a second room if we find we're missing out on technology 3-4 years down the road.

If you are gonna watch a lot of football I'd be wary getting an M series:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-.../m-series-2015

Is why I went w/ Samsung but I think the E series handles motion blur actually better than the M series.
post #7696 of 14815 Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW360 View Post
1. Budget

< ~$1500

2. Seating distance

13ft

I'm considering 4k because I don't want to be left behind if I keep the next TV this long. We may buy a bigger home sooner than later and it's crossed my mind that the Vizio M is a fair compromise due to the low cost for the time being and it could be relegated to a second room if we find we're missing out on technology 3-4 years down the road.
At that distance, you will not see the difference in 4k and 1080p so there is no technology that you will miss. We will not have a standard in 3-4 years that will make all current TVs obsolete. If you have the room for it, you might consider the 65" or 70" E-series Vizios as they come in under your budget. Once OLED, HDR, ULED etc become standard, you may want a new TV anyhow so no reason to dump a bunch of money in one now.
post #7697 of 14815 Old 10-08-2015, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avspirate View Post
1. Budget
less than $2000, but flexible +/- $200.

2. Seating distance
~5-7 feet

Either 60" or 65"

4. Uses and sources
Netflix, PC, xbox, antenna TV watching. I don't have cable tv.

5. Room lighting
have lights overhead.

I'm looking at 4k TVs, primarily because I plan on using this as a PC monitor in addition to netflix & xbox. I've looked at the vizio m65-c1, samsung ju6500 & ju7100 series so far. Any suggestions would be great!

This is also my situation. Any recommendations? Any reason the m65-c1 isn't the best here?
post #7698 of 14815 Old 10-09-2015, 03:40 PM

It 's time to replace my 2007 Panasonic 60" plasma. I'm trying to decide between a Samsung UN65JS8500 and LG 65UF9500.

I'm looking for a 65"
good in light and dark room situations
great for sports and regular HD programming
future proof to some extent

these are both within my budget.

any suggestions on which one is better? thanks
post #7699 of 14815 Old 10-09-2015, 05:07 PM

I'm looking to replace 2007 42" Panasonic Plasma with something a bit larger, lower power, and better in a bright room.

Budget: <= $3.5k
Seating distance: 9 ft / 2.75 m. Wide viewing angle moderately important.
Size: 55-60". No curve.
Uses: Streaming video, some light gaming
Room lighting: Sometimes bright, so very reflective is a downside. That said, most critical viewing happens at night.

PQ is important, ideally would be HDR-ready/FALD.

I haven't been able to find a set that combines all of the above. Suggestions much appreciated!
post #7700 of 14815 Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 PM

I'm looking to replace 2007 42" Panasonic Plasma with something a bit larger, lower power, and better in a bright room.

Budget: <= $3.5k
Seating distance: 9 ft / 2.75 m. Wide viewing angle moderately important.
Size: 55-60". No curve.
Uses: Streaming video, some light gaming
Room lighting: Sometimes bright, so very reflective is a downside. That said, most critical viewing happens at night.

PQ is important, ideally would be HDR-ready/FALD.

I haven't been able to find a set that combines all of the above. Suggestions much appreciated!
post #7701 of 14815 Old 10-09-2015, 06:22 PM

Liked: 4
Unhappy

1. Budget
Sorta flexible. 2K-5K if the features are there and make it worth it.

2. Seating distance
9-10 feet, straight on for two people.

Greater than or bigger than 65" 4K

4. Uses and sources
We cut the cord a few years back so smart capabilities and access to Amazon and Netflix is a must. If the situation deems it though, we could just add a Roku 4.

5. Room Lighting
There are two windows that are perpendicular to the TV that never receive direct sunlight. We do most of our viewing after hours anyway.

What I would really want is a non-curved, WCG, real HDR-capable, true FALD, Smart 4K at 60fps and 4:4:4 color sampling TV with wireless 802.11ac and hard buttons on the remote for Amazon and Netflix (similar to the Vizio 4K M-Series remote). It would also be nice to not have my TV spy on me or send me targeted ads because it tracked everything I watched or streamed (My LG creeped me out and I hear/read Samsung is no better.) OLED seems nice, but burn-in and a life of 14,000 hours is a serious concern because my girlfriend leaves Netflix paused constantly or some other main menu on screen for hours.

Since this doesn't seem currently available, I am leaning towards the THX-certified Sharp LC-70UH30 and will check back in next year or two when Dolby Vision or SMTPE has won and everybody has 18 Gps HDMI ports. Does this seem reasonable or am I missing some awesome set?

P.S. I guess I have finally lost my lurker status
post #7702 of 14815 Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 65 inch Panasonic ZT60 plasma atmy home in Michigan. I' looking ofr a new TV for a retirement home in Florida. Is there a current clear leader in picture quality in the 65 to 80 inch area? We looked last year at teh B=high end Samsung 4K's and were impressed with their picture.
post #7703 of 14815 Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Hi, first post!

I'm wondering which budget LCD I should buy for gaming/movie watching in a dimly lit bedroom at about 40 inches. Smart features, 3d, 4k, curve.. all those things don't matter to me in the least.

Budget:
$500-750

Size:
40"

Viewing Distance:
10-12'

Use:
Gaming / Netflix / Movies

Room Lighting:
Dim most times. Most watching/playing in the evening. One window that has blinds.

Smart/3D/4K:
Don't care.

The reason I've been wanting to upgrade is that my 46E77UN is just a touch too big, and really can't be wall mounted in the space I have. It also has awful motion blur in dark settings while in game mode (lost the remote necessary to turn it to any other mode! ) so I can't play Metal Gear Solid 5 on it because the motion blur is godawful.

I hope to have a TV picked out and bought by next weekend but this weekend would be amazing.

Thanks!
post #7704 of 14815 Old 10-11-2015, 06:44 AM

Looking for a new 55" LCD

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new 55". Here are my constraints:

1. Budget: $1500-2500

2. Seating distance: 12 feet from set. Primary seating angle is pretty much straight on - secondary seating is up to 45 degrees off center but really not that important for most of my uses.

3. Size/placement limitations: Has to be 55". Gets some direct sun at an angle; reflections could be problematic (current Sony is not glossy)

4. Uses and sources: DVR/HD, Gaming on PS4, AppleTV

5. Room lighting: Well controlled; can get as dim as I want

I currently have a 42" Sony that's served me well.

I also have everything through a Marantz SR5008, which handles all input switching and audio - I will not be using the speakers onboard the TV, nor the input switching/management of the TV.

I'm intrigued by the LG OLEDs, but put off by their presumably low yield rate and presumably short lifespan.

I don't want/need 3D, and I'd rather not be bothered by buggy bloatware (like Android TV?).

I really just need a terrific panel.

Any suggestions? I was going to just get a mid-range Sony again, but finding resources like rtings with input lag measurements (not so great on Sony) makes me think I should consider more options.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kordos; 10-11-2015 at 12:59 PM.
post #7705 of 14815 Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 PM

looking for a LCD

Hello, please help to check out new LCD. for my drying room which is suitable or me.
post #7706 of 14815 Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 PM

Okay, so excuse the following garbage posts, but I need to get my post count up to five to be able to post links, and there's no sense in mentioning what sets I'm deciding between without being able to post links to them, so bare with me here.
post #7707 of 14815 Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 PM

One more post.
post #7708 of 14815 Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 PM

One last one.
post #7709 of 14815 Old 10-11-2015, 11:32 PM

Question

Alright, here we go. My girlfriend and her sister recently moved into a new apartment and I offered to buy them a television. I was initially going for something in the ballpark of 43", but I'm thinking I'll probably move into the 48" to 50" range instead.

The "Smart" TV stuff isn't terribly important since there's dozens upon dozens of gadgets I can plug in that are capable of Netflix playback, so that's not a selling point.

Ideally I'd like to stay under $500.

These are the four I'm deciding between at the moment:

50" Sharp LC-50LB370U - $429.99

49" LG 49LF5500 - $449.99

48" Samsung UN48J5000AFXZA- $479.99

48" Vizio E48-C2 - $479.99

Thoughts on any of them?
post #7710 of 14815 Old 10-11-2015, 11:44 PM

Purchasing first TV in a lonnnng time

New guy here. Been following AVS off-and-on for quite some time, but now I need to call on you guys for help in finally purchasing a new TV. Too embarrassed to let you know what I'm upgrading from—'05 Westinghouse 32" 720p—seriously. So obviously anything I get is going to be a massive upgrade. Here are the details...

Budget
Looking for the best options for under $1k.

Seating distance
Moving into a house, so this can be tweaked a bit if needed. But as of now, it's looking like a range of 7-12 ft. Viewing angle will be for the most part straight on, but main seating will be a good sized sectional offering different angles of the TV. Will be in the main living area of the house, so people standing and/or on the move will be a normal occurrence. Room size is roughly 19' x 15'.

Size/placement limitations
Started looking at both 50" & 55". No real placement limitations that I can think of.

Uses and sources
A lot of sports. Then cable TV watching and streaming HD content. Sources will be: Cable box & Apple TV (w/Retina MBP).

Room lighting
Not a whole lot of natural light in evening when most use will be taking place. Also, room lighting can be controlled pretty well. Large window (directly across from TV) will have light filtering roller shades. No overhead lights.

Notes
Picture is important. Don't care how good/bad smart TV functionality performs. Slim and good looking design is big plus. Looking to buy in next couple weeks.

What you think? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page