the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 807Likes

post #7861 of 15189 Old 11-07-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccguy View Post
2. Seating distance is approx. 13'. TV will be centered across from 9' sofa so most viewing not much more than 30 degrees from center.

4. Budget is flexible, upto $3k, maybe a little more. But leaning towards spending much less today and waiting a few more years for a OLED when the 4k standards and formats are more settled and prices really drop.

But now I'm thinking to either getting a top 1080 model or budget 4k (Vizio M) for now and keeping the rest to buy the OLED when things settle out, there is a decent volume of content and the prices drop to a more reasonable level, maybe 2-3 years out.
For serious movie viewing, 3-D, etc. I will still be viewing on the Samsung plasma in a darker room with the Anthem/Paradigm surround setup.
For all the reasons you gave, I ended up buying tht Vizio E70-C3. I view from about 12' and it is not too big at that distance. It is a 1080p set and does not have 3D. I figured it was only $1300 and the money I saved will go toward the next technology when it matures and drops in price. This set does everything I need it to do and does it well. You should be able to get the 65" version for under $1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Moving the 46" 1080 Samsung 6xxx from the main family room down to the kids playroom as the wife has finally agreed to pitch the entertainment armoir that limited me to the 46".
So I'm looking at 65" as a preferred size.
1. Room size is 15'6"x20', but seating/viewing area is closer to one end.
2. Seating distance is approx. 13'. TV will be centered across from 9' sofa so most viewing not much more than 30 degrees from center.
Room is fairly bright with cathedral ceiling and two skylights angled toward the seating and several windows on wall to side of tv.
3. Viewing is mainly television and cable movies HD from fios feed. Some sports also from same feed. And some movies on blue-ray and from Amazon On-demand, planning on adding Netflix subscription and dropping some cable channels.
4. Budget is flexible, upto $3k, maybe a little more. But leaning towards spending much less today and waiting a few more years for a OLED when the 4k standards and formats are more settled and prices really drop.

My original thought was get the best 4k set I can within budget. I was close to buying a Sony XBR65x850 or Samsung 65ju7100 then thought maybe the Vizeo P. Then I made the mistake of looking at the OLED and decided I gotta have that. The 65" is still too high but thought maybe with holiday deals I might be able to convince the wife it'd be ok to go a little higher.
But now I'm thinking to either getting a top 1080 model or budget 4k (Vizio M) for now and keeping the rest to buy the OLED when things settle out, there is a decent volume of content and the prices drop to a more reasonable level, maybe 2-3 years out.
For serious movie viewing, 3-D, etc. I will still be viewing on the Samsung plasma in a darker room with the Anthem/Paradigm surround setup.
Sitting that far away you don't want a curved screen. So if you do decide to go 4K now, you could look at the Samsung UN65JS8500 which is only a $200 more than the UN65JU7100 at Amazon and has local dimming, wide color gamut, nano crystal display and HDR. It's $500 under your $3K limit and might be something you could keep for more than a couple of years. I personally don't like trying to sell these large TVs every couple of years, so I'd go for one for the long haul. And I really can't see you getting much for a 1080p budget set like the Vizio E class 2 or 3 years from now.

The LG 65" 4K OLED to get would be the 65EF9500 flat screen model current going for $5K. So it won't come close to your $3K budget this year.

BTW, 30 degrees is way over the viewing angle for a VA panel which goes to about 20 degrees, but within tolerance for an IPS panel. So if there will regularly be seating at 30 degrees, consider an IPS panel set such as the 4K Sony XBR65X900C, or one of the LG IPS sets such as the 65UF7700 or 65UF8500.

Last edited by VA_DaveB; 11-08-2015 at 09:15 AM.
post #7863 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
For all the reasons you gave, I ended up buying tht Vizio E70-C3. I view from about 12' and it is not too big at that distance. It is a 1080p set and does not have 3D. I figured it was only $1300 and the money I saved will go toward the next technology when it matures and drops in price. This set does everything I need it to do and does it well. You should be able to get the 65" version for under $1000.
That is where I'm leaning. The 70" might be a better size for the viewing distance but I think it might be too big for wall, also, I don't want to risk having to downsize if the OLED size options don't widen. A 77" would definitely be to big.

1. I'm just wondering if any other models might offer a little more without jumping too much in price.

2. Also looking for anyone's thoughts if moving up to the Vizio M65 might be a better choice i.e. will the picture be noticeably better in that size at that distance when up scaled to 4k. It is more but still keeps me in a price range I think will allow for a future upgrade within a few years rather than 5+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7864 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2. Also looking for anyone's thoughts if moving up to the Vizio M65 might be a better choice i.e. will the picture be noticeably better in that size at that distance when up scaled to 4k. It is more but still keeps me in a price range I think will allow for a future upgrade within a few years rather than 5+.
What are you going to watch in 4k and can you see the difference at 13 feet? Look at both sets in a store at distances over 8-9' and they look the same.
post #7865 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1. Budget - under $2200 ideally.
2. Seating distance - 12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - looking at getting 65 or 70 in
4. Uses and sources - mostly cable tv and streaming from plex via my apple tv, also home videos from iphone6s which shoots in 4k
5. Room lighting - no direct light so glare isnt an issue. At night its pretty dark and i usually watch in the dark

So i have had the same tv for about 10 years and i am looking to replace it. This will be the primary TV. Sofa is about 12 ft from where it would be mounted. I have an apple tv so dont really need smart functions. Want to future proof and getting the best picture is most important. I dont play games but i do watch lots of sports. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the 65 or 70 in Visio M series. Also looking at the Sony XBR65X810C as well as the XBR65X850C, Samsung js8500 as well as the js850d(is there any difference between these?).

What other tvs in my price range should i be looking at? Also what are the must have specs i should look for? for example i have heard it should be 120mhz. As i start looking what are those must have items?

Thanks in advance. If you can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.

Last edited by njxbean; 11-08-2015 at 08:10 PM.
post #7866 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Sitting that far away you don't want a curved screen. So if you do decide to go 4K now, you could look at the Samsung UN65JS8500 which is only a $200 more than the UN65JU7100 at Amazon and has local dimming, wide color gamut, nano crystal display and HDR. It's $500 under your $3K limit and might be something you could keep for more than a couple of years. I personally don't like trying to sell these large TVs every couple of years, so I'd go for one for the long haul. And I really can't see you getting much for a 1080p budget set like the Vizio E class 2 or 3 years from now.

The LG 65" 4K OLED to get would be the 65EF9500 flat screen model current going for $5K. So it won't come close to your $3K budget this year.

BTW, 30 degrees is way over the viewing angle for a VA panel which goes to about 20 degrees, but within tolerance for an IPS panel. So if there will regularly be seating at 30 degrees, consider an IPS panel set such as the 4K Sony XBR65X900C, or one of the LG IPS sets such as the 65UF7700 or 65UF8500.
Thanks for the responses.
A curved set was never even seriously considered.
I guess I probably wasn't clear about my budget. It was originally around $3k but considering my plan to upgrade to OLED within a couple of years, my preference would be to keep it under $1500 now. That leaves me with the Vizeo E65 or possibly other brands 1080 sets for more features or just the M65 if it seems there is a compelling reason to step up to the low end of 4k now. I won't likely invest in a 4k blue ray for a while and while there is the opportunity to view some 4k movies from Netfix and Amazon, most of what will be viewed is 720 & 1080 HD content from Verizon FIOS & Blue Ray DVDs.
If it was not for the need for a bigger tv now, I would probably just wait a year or so for the OLED I have now decided is the real goal. Not thinking about selling what I get now in a couple of years, just would rotate some screens in other rooms, maybe put the 46 in the bedroom and give the kids the 65 for the playroom, they should be ready to move up from a wii to Xbox or PSx by then.

Sidebar: I am really confused about the whole viewing angle thing. I took my angle measurements from the center of where the screen will be. If you need to be within 20 degrees of the center, at 12 feet that's pretty much within the width of the screen, that's nuts. If that means within 20degrees of the side of the screen, all seating is within that range.

Last edited by ccguy; 11-08-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Add info.
post #7867 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 747
That's 20 degrees to left and 20 degrees to the right of the of the screen. The image below shows the calculation for seating to the right side of the screen at 12 feet at 20 degrees off angle. So if you're seated 12 feet from the screen (leg a below), you'll be outside of the 20 degree off-angle spec for a VA panel if you sit more that 4.37 feet to the left or 4.37 feet the right of the screen (leg b below).

So viewing from a 6 to 9 foot long couch in the dead center of the screen is fine, but if you sit in a chair or love seat off to the left or right of that couch, the picture might look pretty washed out. The closer you get, the narrower that area gets, so sitting 8 feet from the screen, you have only about 3 feet left or right of the screen for correct color and contrast. For comparison, an IPS panel with a 35 degrees viewing angle would provide proper color and contrast 8.4 feet to the left or 8.45 feet to the right of a screen 12 feet away.
post #7868 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
That's 20 degrees to left and 20 degrees to the right of the of the screen. The image below shows the calculation for seating to the right side of the screen at 12 feet at 20 degrees off angle. So if you're seated 12 feet from the screen (leg a below), you'll be outside of the 20 degree off-angle spec for a VA panel if you sit more that 4.37 feet to the left or 4.37 feet the right of the screen (leg b below).

So viewing from a 6 to 9 foot long couch in the dead center of the screen is fine, but if you sit in a chair or love seat off to the left or right of that couch, the picture might look pretty washed out. The closer you get, the narrower that area gets, so sitting 8 feet from the screen, you have only about 3 feet left or right of the screen for correct color and contrast. For comparison, an IPS panel with a 35 degrees viewing angle would provide proper color and contrast 8.4 feet to the left or 8.45 feet to the right of a screen 12 feet away.
Thanks for that clarification. It had always confused me where I should be calculating that angle from. I think based on that info we're pretty safe with the 20 degree limit. The front edge of the sofa is about 12' from the screen, and there is no other seating in viewing area, kids sometimes sit on the floor but within that screen-front area. So at least I know I don't have to worry about the angle issue.

So now I just have to decide between whatever is best among the few remaining 65" 1080 choices or a budget 4k set.
post #7869 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Survey... please only one and why

I am making myself nuts reading all the reviews,,, looking in BB and Sams Club, and currently have a M65 Vizio in the house... Coming from a Pioneer Plasma 50" it is a totally different view...
The M65 looks washed out to me... to white...or bright...

OK.. here is the question... if you had a choice to have either a
Vizio M65-C1 OR
Sony 65X850C
Which would you take and why....

I believe I have it narrowed down to these two... If I put the two side by side, which I may do.... and return one.... which do you think I will keep.
Would love to have the Plasma contrast and look... but have to tell you... some of what I see on the Vizio is great... other, not so much...
Football today was OK... close ups.... distance... metza metza...

Sony or Vizio

Thank you in advance......
post #7870 of 15189 Old 11-08-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbill2001 View Post
. Coming from a Pioneer Plasma 50" it is a totally different view...
The M65 looks washed out to me... to white...or bright...

OK.. here is the question... if you had a choice to have either a
Vizio M65-C1 OR
Sony 65X850C
Which would you take and why....
Your problem is not Vizio vs Sony, it is LCD vs plasma. I have a plasma and a couple LCDs including a new 70" Vizio. I too prefer the plasma look. You can not make an LCD into a plasma but you can get it pretty close. I would suggest a calibration disk such as Disney WOW. To tame those bright, contrasty whites, turn down the backlight and the contrast. Also turning the sharpmess down to near zero makes the picture much easier to watch. If you want something to look more like your plasma, get the LG OLED TV.
mdbill2001 likes this.
post #7871 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hello All, Thanks in advance.

1. Budget - $2000 or under. Less is better! Also need to buy a new Denon AV receiver which I'd like to spend about $500.

2. Seating Distance - 9.5 Feet from Center Seat to Center of Television. There is a 3 person couch and a recliner seated in a line against the same back wall. I need to take into consideration the viewing angle.

3. Size/Placement Limitations - I can go up to 68" wide so a 75 inch TV. I'm mainly looking at 70 inch TVs.

4. Sources -
25% Played through Roku 3 (will probably upgrade to Roku 4) running Plex (720p & 1080p sources) - Some content is pretty low quality. Need to take that into consideration.
25% Blue ray Movies
25% Network TV Shows (TiVo w/Comcast CableCARD (right now I only have a 1080p TiVo)
25% Sports (on same TiVo). All sources running through Denon AV Receiver TBD.

5. Room Lighting - This is a new family room designed for watching TV. Natural light can be controlled with curtains. Will do LED back lighting behind the TV.

Notes: This room has 7.1 in wall and in ceiling speakers (typical Dolby 7.1, not Atmos). All audio equipment is in a cabinet on the far side of the room. I need to purchase a new 2014 or 2015 Denon AV Receiver (Denon because the house uses HEOS for distributed audio).

I feel like I'm right on the border distance wise of getting any additional detail with a 70" 4K TV. I will also have to spend a lot more money on a receiver to get a HDCP 2.2 compliant Denon AVR.

Here's where I'm at:

Option 1 - Vizio M70 (70 inch) & 2015 Denon X2200w Receiver (most expensive combo, most future-proof (has HDCP 2.2), only worth it if I'm really going to see the difference with 4K).
Option 2 - Vizio E70 (70 inch) & 2014 Denon X3100w (least expensive combo, this receiver supports 4K but not HDCP 2.2)
Option 3 - Samsung J6300 (75 inch) & 2014 Denon X3100w (about the same $$$ as Option 1 but I get a bigger TV, albeit 1080p, but I still don't think 75" is too big for the 9.5 viewing distance).

My gut is telling me to go with Option 2. I'm not going to get the benefits of 4K with a 70" TV at this distance. By spending so much less I won't hesitate to replace everything if I'm completely unhappy in a few years when 4K content is common. Option 1 feels like I'm early adopting on the low end. Option 3 might be too big for the viewing distance.

THANKS!
post #7872 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey guys,
Could use some help:

I'm looking at getting a 40" tv for my bedroom. Currently, I'm considering the Vizio e40 vs. the SamsungUN40J300 (the Best Buy exclusive of the 6200 which seems to have some minor upgrades).

I've read the great reviews for both on RTINGS.com, and I was leaning towards the Vizio due to the price. However, the more I think about it I don't mind paying somewhat more if the value is there, because in the long run it's not that big of a deal.

Feel free if there are other competitors right now for a no-frills, just pure picture quality 40" TV, let me know - it seems those are the 2 most suggested.

1. Budget

Like I said, I don't mind that much. I will spend more if it's worth it. That being said still want to keep it around $450 - Hence why I'm only looking at 1080.

2. Seating distance

I already calculated it out to determine this is the size I needed.

3. Size/placement limitations

Similar to above. I can mount it or put it on a media stand/table.

4. Uses and sources

This where it gets interesting:
I will be using it for several uses: HD Streaming (From my laptop, from my Chromecast, From my Firestick - it might be Netflix, streaming my local Plex Library, Youtube videos etc.), also streaming Twitch from my laptop via and HDMI cable (or even some of the smart devices I have like Chromecast), Sports, and Gaming.

Those are in no particular order. I will be using it for local HD streaming from my devices, sports, and gaming (Xbox One). I will not be doing anything super competitive, so I don't have a strict need for the best latency - but definitely would want something that wouldn't bother me. I would say gaming would be the 2nd thing I do on it most.

If I had to prioritize: 1) HD Streaming would definitely be it's biggest use, 2) gaming 3)sports (definitely close to 2nd).

If those conditions help decide on TV over the other I feel it was helpful to provide them.

5. Room lighting

My bedroom has no overhead lighting, all my lighting is from lamps so I can move them around to serve the room better.
I will watch in both daylight (blinds open during the day) and lights off for movies (or even just at night, lying in bed).

As I said I'm so far debating between the Vizio e40 and Samsung Un40J6300 vs. anything else I missed that is currently in the game right now?

tl;dr: What's the best 40 in tv (no frills, dont need them) for around 300-500 bucks right now? (1080p not 4k)

Thanks for the help!
post #7873 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get a 60/65 inch 1080p for around $1000. We will be sitting about 13 feet back. If you look at the room like a compass, the TV is south. We have a sofa that's north with 1 window and a loveseat that's west in front of a bay window. Plenty of light during the day, but at night we close the curtains. This TV will be for everything.... FiOS TV, blu ray, gaming and sports.

We have a Panasonic GT50 plasma that's going to be tough to replace, but we want something more immersive. We tend to put more faith into Amazon and Best Buy reviews rather than CNET or rtings, but still look to them to make sure it's not a total dud.

Sharp LC-65LE654U
VIZIO E65-C3
Samsung UN60J6300 (when on sale)

These are the main 3 that have us interested.

I really like the Sharp, but I'm reading reports of crappy firmware, random shutoffs and reboots have me concerned. Vizio seems to be the best bang for the buck, but I'm not that impressed. Haven't seen the Samsung in person, but it looks to be a jack of all trades-master of none type deal?

I can also opt for 4K with black friday deals (sub $1000 prices). I have no use for 4K, but if the TV itself is better specs all around then that's worth looking into.
post #7874 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So my mom just called me to inform that her bedroom plasma just took a dump and is rip. She wants a new flat screen 50-55" Sony/Samsung with a 1k budget. I've been out the loop for awhile so I have no idea what to recommend her. The tv will be use for hd cable/movies with a little wii action here and there. She works about 60-70 hours a week so the tv won't be used a whole lot.

The viewing distance can range from 5-8.5 ft back with controlled lighting
post #7875 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Need help replacing a Vizo M65 TV that is about 4 years old. Works fine but the picture is noticeably worse than the Samsung 6500 series we have a few rooms over.

1. Budget

I am ok spending $2,500 and can go higher if the increased price is worth it.

2. Seating distance

14 feet to the sofa.

3. Size placement limitations

Can't go over a 65inch. The 65 inch we have there now fits well, but the picture isn't very good.

4. Uses and sources

Direct TV, mostly sports and my wife watching HGTV, cooking channel etc. We also watch Netlfix fairly often.

5. Room lighting

Currently there is no overhead lighting. We have ceilings that are at least 25ft. We are planning to put in canned lighting in the future. There is a chandelier to the side of the room that provides most of the light. The room has a lot of window, gets decent light, but not a lot of direct sunlight. We have palm trees that keep most of the direct sunlight from hitting the TV. I have no glare problems with the Vizio M650VSE that we have right now.
post #7876 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM

Need help replacing a Vizo M65 TV that is about 4 years old. Works fine but the picture is noticeably worse than the Samsung 6500 series we have a few rooms over.

1. Budget

I am ok spending $2,500 and can go higher if the increased price is worth it.

2. Seating distance

14 feet to the sofa.

3. Size placement limitations

Can't go over a 65inch. The 65 inch we have there now fits well, but the picture isn't very good.

4. Uses and sources

Direct TV, mostly sports and my wife watching HGTV, cooking channel etc. We also watch Netlfix fairly often.

5. Room lighting

Currently there is no overhead lighting. We have ceilings that are at least 25ft. We are planning to put in canned lighting in the future. There is a chandelier to the side of the room that provides most of the light. The room has a lot of window, gets decent light, but not a lot of direct sunlight. We have palm trees that keep most of the direct sunlight from hitting the TV. I have no glare problems with the Vizio M650VSE that we have right now.
post #7877 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by robromo1023 View Post
Hey guys,
Could use some help:

I'm looking at getting a 40" tv for my bedroom. Currently, I'm considering the Vizio e40 vs. the SamsungUN40J300 (the Best Buy exclusive of the 6200 which seems to have some minor upgrades).
This is sort of where I am at the moment (though I haven't completely ruled out 4k yet). So I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions as well. The only other noteworthy 1080p TV in the same size/price range is probably the Sony 40W600B (unless you want an IPS panel).

I think the J6300 is a step up from the J6200 in a number of ways... It has more HDMI inputs, a thinner bezel, faster processing and the Tizen OS, and slightly better contrast ratio, gray uniformity, color gamut, and upscaling of 720p. So I'm not sure why the J6200 ranks slightly higher on Rtings. The only area where the J6200 seems to have a small edge is on motion blur/response time.

I am tempted to give the 40J6300 a try, because it's currently marked down at Best Buy.

The Vizio E43-C2 and E40-C2 also look like pretty good options though. I like the slightly glossier screen finish on the Vizio E43-C2 (it reminds me a little of the Sammy JS8500). The Vizio also seems to have more uniform whites to my eyes due to its direct backlighting. But there is also a slight grid pattern apparent on the Vizio in the Rtings images...

VIZIO E SERIES

SAMSUNG J6300

The Vizio's upscaling isn't as good as the J6300 though (which could be an issue if you're using the internal tuner). And the Samsung probably has a little better color.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 11-09-2015 at 08:46 PM.
post #7878 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Guys I need help. I'm coming from the Plasma camp (ST30....) and considering a second TV.

So far Sam's Club seems like the place for me to go. They have two deals (one happening now.)

I can get the VIZIO M49-C1 4kTV for $499 OR I can get the highly rated - Vizio E55-C2 1080p TV for $449. Both seem like a steal, I'm just wondering if it will be more worth it in the long run to get a 4kTV.
post #7879 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 09:11 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robromo1023 View Post
4. Uses and sources

This where it gets interesting:
I will be using it for several uses: HD Streaming (From my laptop, from my Chromecast, From my Firestick - it might be Netflix, streaming my local Plex Library, Youtube videos etc.), also streaming Twitch from my laptop via and HDMI cable (or even some of the smart devices I have like Chromecast), Sports, and Gaming.

Those are in no particular order. I will be using it for local HD streaming from my devices, sports, and gaming (Xbox One). I will not be doing anything super competitive, so I don't have a strict need for the best latency - but definitely would want something that wouldn't bother me. I would say gaming would be the 2nd thing I do on it most.

If I had to prioritize: 1) HD Streaming would definitely be it's biggest use, 2) gaming 3)sports (definitely close to 2nd).

If those conditions help decide on TV over the other I feel it was helpful to provide them.

5. Room lighting

My bedroom has no overhead lighting, all my lighting is from lamps so I can move them around to serve the room better.
I will watch in both daylight (blinds open during the day) and lights off for movies (or even just at night, lying in bed).

As I said I'm so far debating between the Vizio e40 and Samsung Un40J6300 vs. anything else I missed that is currently in the game right now?
Just to add a little more to my last post re the two points above...

According to Rtings, the Vizio E has a bit less lag than the Sammy J6300. So that might make it preferable for gaming.

Also, the somewhat glossier screen on the 43" Vizio E43-C2 might be a little less desirable for daytime viewing. The semi-glossy screen finish on the 40" Vizio E40-C2 looks about the same as the Sammy 40J6300 though.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 11-09-2015 at 09:18 PM.
post #7880 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 09:28 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post
Guys I need help. I'm coming from the Plasma camp (ST30....) and considering a second TV.

So far Sam's Club seems like the place for me to go. They have two deals (one happening now.)

I can get the VIZIO M49-C1 4kTV for $499 OR I can get the highly rated - Vizio E55-C2 1080p TV for $449. Both seem like a steal, I'm just wondering if it will be more worth it in the long run to get a 4kTV.
Those both look like pretty good deals to me. 1080p is gradually going to be phased out by the major mfrs. So there will be fewer and fewer options available at the resolution every year. Sony will probably be first to leave, followed by Samsung, and then the others.

If everything else was equal, I'd prefer a 4K TV. But there are other factors to consider, like contrast ratio, angle of view, refresh rate, upscaling, lag, etc. So I have to keep an open mind for now.

ADU
post #7881 of 15189 Old 11-09-2015, 09:41 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

According to this thread, the Vizio M49-C1 uses an IPS panel, which means it has lower contrast ratio (if you're not using local dimming), and better angle of view. I'm not sure about the E55-C2, but the Vizio E series generally use VA panels which have better contrast ratio, and not as good angle of view.

ADU
post #7882 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a TV screen to play fast games and watch movies in the best conditions (and in 1080p) and I sadly missed the 2014's Sony W705B serie.

I found a review which seems to indicate that the 2015's 705C serie is almost identical to the 2014's Sony W705B if Google translator is right, can anyone confirm me that the input lag and image quality are equivalent? (here is the review : benchmark.pl/testy_i_recenzje/sony-kdl-32w705c-test.htm

Thanks!
post #7883 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
4K or 1080P Recommendation

OK. I have been reading posts for a few weeks. Replacing 42" Panny 720P. I have to mount over fireplace due to room constraints. The largest size I can fit in that space is a 55" tv. My seating distance is 13-14 feet. I was originally going to buy 55" Samsung JU7100, but after researching seating distance I am thinking 4K may not be worth it and I would be better just buying a 1080P set. Is there any reason to go with a 4K in my situation? If not, I would appreciate any recommendations for a good 55" 1080 tv.
post #7884 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llzink View Post
OK. I have been reading posts for a few weeks. Replacing 42" Panny 720P. I have to mount over fireplace due to room constraints. The largest size I can fit in that space is a 55" tv. My seating distance is 13-14 feet. I was originally going to buy 55" Samsung JU7100, but after researching seating distance I am thinking 4K may not be worth it and I would be better just buying a 1080P set. Is there any reason to go with a 4K in my situation? If not, I would appreciate any recommendations for a good 55" 1080 tv.
The long answer,,,
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/301-av...en-hd-uhd.html
post #7885 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
1. Budget - under $2200 ideally.
2. Seating distance - 12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - looking at getting 65 or 70 in
4. Uses and sources - mostly cable tv and streaming from plex via my apple tv, also home videos from iphone6s which shoots in 4k
5. Room lighting - no direct light so glare isnt an issue. At night its pretty dark and i usually watch in the dark

So i have had the same tv for about 10 years and i am looking to replace it. This will be the primary TV. Sofa is about 12 ft from where it would be mounted. I have an apple tv so dont really need smart functions. Want to future proof and getting the best picture is most important. I dont play games but i do watch lots of sports. Any suggestions?

I was looking at the 65 or 70 in Visio M series. Also looking at the Sony XBR65X810C as well as the XBR65X850C, Samsung js8500 as well as the js850d(is there any difference between these?).

What other tvs in my price range should i be looking at? Also what are the must have specs i should look for? for example i have heard it should be 120mhz. As i start looking what are those must have items?

Thanks in advance. If you can point me in the right direction that would be helpful.
The Samsung will be on sale for $1999 for Black Friday.
post #7886 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmo34 View Post
The Samsung will be on sale for $1999 for Black Friday.
hey thanks for the info. Will this be online, or do you know if its one of those where you have to wait online for it? Also, is this the 850D or the 8500(i think they may be the same).
post #7887 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Here is my dilemma. I have gone through a couple of JS8500s with corner light bleed issues. Samsung has agreed to refund my purchase price (I was outside of my return policy from Best Buy). Other than the light bleed, the set is gorgeous. So now I need a new TV. At this point, I have narrowed it down to the JS8500 and JS9500. With the 8500, I guess I will be rolling the dice and hoping the third time is a charm. Price is a factor. I can get the JS8500 for $2350 or so and possibly as low as $2000. Best price on the JS9500 is $3450 and I would have to stretch my budget to get there. TV will be used for sports and movies mostly. 65" size. Is the 9500 worth the extra $1450? Seems like a lot to me. Anything else to consider at or below 3k?

Thanks.

Clerk
post #7888 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 29
1. Budget = $1500
2. Seating distance = 11 feet
3. Size/placement limitations = None - I am targeting 60 inches, main listening position is directly in front
4. Uses and sources = 60% TV, mainly sports (hockey), 40% movies
5. Room lighting = In basement, generally dark, and lights on dimmers.

I'm looking for a new TV, outline above. I believe I want a 120 hz native panel, so the hockey puck does not blur across the screen. I am also targeting 4k.

Prelim research has led me to the following options:

Samsung 60'' JS8000 for $1600. This looks like a brand new model for Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4575002

Sharp 60'' LC-60UE30U for $1300.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-aq...&skuId=7136161

Sharp 65'' LC-65UB30U for $1400.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-aq...&skuId=7136143

Sony 65'' XBR65X800B for $1700.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-...&skuId=2004035

What do you think is the best TV and bang for the buck? Curious to hear your recommendations. Thank you.
post #7889 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Purchase

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade and would like the help of you experts . I have about a 10 year old 55 inch 1080i Mitsu RPT currently and would like to upgrade to newer technology. I'd like to stay below $1,000 but would consider a bit more if necessary. I will be watching sports mostly (along with broadcast TV) and hooking an XBox One up to the TV. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I don't have to have the "best" gaming TV. It will be going in a basement with no windows so lighting is completely controlled. We will be sitting around 12 feet from the TV.

I have it narrowed down (I think) to 3 sets and they're all Vizios.

1. The 60 inch Vizio M Series - 4K, one of the best rated TVs I can find. Dell is running a Black Friday deal on this set for $799.
2. The 65 inch Vizio D Series (2016) - can't find any reviews on this as it seems it is a 2016 model. Also 4K. Sam's is running a special on 11/14 on this set for $999.
3. The 65 inch Vizio E Series - not 4K. Can't find any specials coming up for it but currently running $950.

So, do I go with the better TV (M series) with less screen for $150-$200 less money or invest in more screen (sacrificing quality) for the extra $? And if the latter, would you recommend the D series considering the lack of information currently available?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #7890 of 15189 Old 11-10-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorjp View Post
H

1. The 60 inch Vizio M Series - 4K, one of the best rated TVs I can find. Dell is running a Black Friday deal on this set for $799.
2. The 65 inch Vizio D Series (2016) - can't find any reviews on this as it seems it is a 2016 model. Also 4K. Sam's is running a special on 11/14 on this set for $999.
3. The 65 inch Vizio E Series - not 4K. Can't find any specials coming up for it but currently running $950.

So, do I go with the better TV (M series) with less screen for $150-$200 less money or invest in more screen (sacrificing quality) for the extra $? And if the latter, would you recommend the D series considering the lack of information currently available?
IMO, from 12 feet you will not see a difference in 4k vs 1080p. I think a larger screen will be more impressive than any slight difference in image quality. I do not know what to make of the D-series. It seems like a tremendous value at that price. You get fewer active zones and a lower refresh rate, but in the vast majority of viewing, that probably will not matter. I have a 70" E-series that I view from about 12' and I am very happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page