the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 807Likes

post #7921 of 15195 Old 11-12-2015, 09:58 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfD View Post
Oh wow... I was about to buy the Sony XBR55X810C this morning, and I noticed that the price is $100 higher than the last time I looked at it a few days ago....

... do people think the price will go down again? Should I wait until next week and see if the price goes back down?
Prices are jumping around all over the place right now. Many dealers will price match though, if you can find the product for a lower price elsewhere.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone! I'm coming here for help because this site has always been the best resource for actual hands-on knowledge and experience for me. I'm in the market for a shiny new TV and I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall in my research. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative! I currently have a 42" Sharp LCD which is quite old and I feel like it's time to make the leap.

Budget is flexible. I'd like to stay around $1000 or less but I am perfectly willing to spend more for the perfect TV to fit my needs. I want a 55", prefer 4K, smart TV. I have no interest at all in curved or 3D. I've had my eye on Samsung's UN55JU6400FXZA or UN55JU6500FXZA but I've read reports of juddering when watching TV or Blu-rays which makes me uneasy. I should add that I can't stand any kind of motion enhancement, no "soap opera" effect will work for me. So the 60hz of these models may not be suitable but I really can't be sure.

The TV will mainly be used for gaming with Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U. Also lots of Netflix streaming and watching TV via cable box. I also need the screen to be on the matte side, not shiny, with as little glare as possible.

Audio is important to me. My research, plus a quick chat with a Samsung rep, tells me that those two TVs can output full Dolby and DTS 5.1 through an optical cable to a receiver which is great for me because I would not need to replace my older receiver which works great but has no HDMI. I'm hoping it really works as simply as it sounds.. plug in my consoles and cable box through HDMI to TV, one optical out to my receiver.. and everything just works.

If anyone can offer any opinions or suggestions it would be very helpful. I'm open to any brands or models. Thanks in advance!
post #7923 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by genEric 1 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm coming here for help because this site has always been the best resource for actual hands-on knowledge and experience for me. I'm in the market for a shiny new TV and I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall in my research. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative! I currently have a 42" Sharp LCD which is quite old and I feel like it's time to make the leap.

Budget is flexible. I'd like to stay around $1000 or less but I am perfectly willing to spend more for the perfect TV to fit my needs. I want a 55", prefer 4K, smart TV. I have no interest at all in curved or 3D. I've had my eye on Samsung's UN55JU6400FXZA or UN55JU6500FXZA but I've read reports of juddering when watching TV or Blu-rays which makes me uneasy. I should add that I can't stand any kind of motion enhancement, no "soap opera" effect will work for me. So the 60hz of these models may not be suitable but I really can't be sure.

The TV will mainly be used for gaming with Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U. Also lots of Netflix streaming and watching TV via cable box. I also need the screen to be on the matte side, not shiny, with as little glare as possible.

Audio is important to me. My research, plus a quick chat with a Samsung rep, tells me that those two TVs can output full Dolby and DTS 5.1 through an optical cable to a receiver which is great for me because I would not need to replace my older receiver which works great but has no HDMI. I'm hoping it really works as simply as it sounds.. plug in my consoles and cable box through HDMI to TV, one optical out to my receiver.. and everything just works.

If anyone can offer any opinions or suggestions it would be very helpful. I'm open to any brands or models. Thanks in advance!
If you won't be using it in a very bright room, the Sony XBR55X810C is right at your price point, judder free with all movie sources, and good for gaming with low input lag and little motion blur. It does have a Dolby DTS optical sound output and the refresh rate is 120 Hz with Motionflow XR 960. I prefer Sony's motion handling to Samsung's which would have to be off for me to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7924 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
If you won't be using it in a very bright room, the Sony XBR55X810C is right at your price point, judder free with all movie sources, and good for gaming with low input lag and little motion blur. It does have a Dolby DTS optical sound output and the refresh rate is 120 Hz with Motionflow XR 960. I prefer Sony's motion handling to Samsung's which would have to be off for me to watch.
Do you think the Motionflow XR 960 would give any sort of fake look to the images, such as soap opera effect or the "high frame rate" look of movies in 48fps like when the Hobbit was in theaters? And how do you think it would compare to viewing content with Motionflow turned off?
post #7925 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your best bet is to go look at one yourself. Like you, I don't care for Samsung's motion handling, and find Sony's better. But many others don't find Samsung's motion processing distracting. Since it's a true 120 Hz refresh rate, you may not even need to use it. But you should really decide for yourself.
post #7926 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Sony KDS-60A3000 is being attacked by the green blob. Given its age I would just a soon replace it as repair it.

I have not followed TV tech at all since purchasing it. I don't want to take a step back in picture quality.

I am looking at Best Buy's site and they have Sony 65" units ranging from $1499 to $4499.

Anyone have an idea which set has at least as good of picture as my current KDS?

Thanks
post #7927 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Your best bet is to go look at one yourself. Like you, I don't care for Samsung's motion handling, and find Sony's better. But many others don't find Samsung's motion processing distracting. Since it's a true 120 Hz refresh rate, you may not even need to use it. But you should really decide for yourself.
Ohh, so the Sony has a native 120hz. That could make a big difference. The XBR55X810C seems like a great alternative to the Samsungs. I'll go check one out, thank you very much!
post #7928 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ohh, so the Sony has a native 120hz. That could make a big difference. The XBR55X810C seems like a great alternative to the Samsungs. I'll go check one out, thank you very much!
Just make sure you actually look at the 55" XBR55X810C which has the VA panel. The larger 65" XBR65X810C has an IPS panel so it won't have the high contrast level and deep blacks that the XBR55X810C does.
post #7929 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Just make sure you actually look at the 55" XBR55X810C which has the VA panel. The larger 65" XBR65X810C has an IPS panel so it won't have the high contrast level and deep blacks that the XBR55X810C does.
I'm glad you told me that before I went to the store.. thanks again!
post #7930 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:

Unless things have changed -a lot - you will not output DD 5.1 from any source via optical. The only DD 5.1 that is outputted is from OTA reception - no pass through. This was part of the HMDI code to prevent illegal copying. a couple of years back I was really frustrated by this. I had an old D HDTiVo that did not adhere to the standards and it DID output DD 5.1 but any new boxes connected to my display did not. Double check exactly what the display you choose will output via optical. I ended up buying a new AVR because of this.
post #7931 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Unless things have changed -a lot - you will not output DD 5.1 from any source via optical. The only DD 5.1 that is outputted is from OTA reception - no pass through. This was part of the HMDI code to prevent illegal copying. a couple of years back I was really frustrated by this. I had an old D HDTiVo that did not adhere to the standards and it DID output DD 5.1 but any new boxes connected to my display did not. Double check exactly what the display you choose will output via optical. I ended up buying a new AVR because of this.
I had that exact same problem in the past as well. However, I was told by a Samsung rep, and as we speak a Sony rep, that the TVs I am looking at will in fact pass through Dolby and DTS from all consoles and cable boxes. I feel like I won't believe it until I see it!
post #7932 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had that exact same problem in the past as well. However, I was told by a Samsung rep, and as we speak a Sony rep, that the TVs I am looking at will in fact pass through Dolby and DTS from all consoles and cable boxes. I feel like I won't believe it until I see it!
From the manual, these are the only specs for the optical output:

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) - Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS)
post #7933 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdLCD View Post
Damn, that Dell M60 is really tempting now.
Welp...stumbled upon a deal on Slickdeals I couldn't pass up. 65 inch Samsung JW8500 for $1850 with no tax and free shipping from Buydig (through EBay). Already sold out.

Ha! Overshot my budget by about $650 but hated to pass it up. Apparently beats BF prices by $150 and one of the top rated 65 inchers out there. Paying for it completely in credit card points so why not? YOLO!
post #7934 of 15195 Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorjp View Post
Welp...stumbled upon a deal on Slickdeals I couldn't pass up. 65 inch Samsung JW8500 for $1850 with no tax and free shipping from Buydig (through EBay). Already sold out.

Ha! Overshot my budget by about $650 but hated to pass it up. Apparently beats BF prices by $150 and one of the top rated 65 inchers out there. Paying for it completely in credit card points so why not? YOLO!
You broke the rules! I saw that deal as well LOL. I keep holding. My budget is not as flexible as yours
post #7935 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by robromo1023 View Post
That's a good point to consider.

My main games are CoD, Halo 5, and Halo MCC. That's why part of me wants to get the Visio, but it's hard to value the tradeoff of if I really care that much about input lag over better TV overall for non gaming.

I get that 29-30ms is better than 40, but I wonder if it's even worth it.

Like if it's not 5-10 ms, at that point they are both going to be somewhat problematic.
Not being a gamer, I can't really comment on the difference in lag rates. But I'm sure other users of the TVs can. I'm more sensitive to blur than lag.

The 2014 Sony W600B is still available as well (and also currently on sale at BB). It has less lag than the Sammy J6300 and about the same contrast ratio. The Sony W600B uses a 60 Hz panel though. So it may have a bit more blur than the 120 Hz Sammy J6300. Fwiw, the Sony W600B was one of the lower-cost panels favored by AVS gamers last year.

The 40" and 43" Vizio E displays are also 60 Hz, but with low blur, according to Rtings. Some users of the Vizio 40" and 43" display report hearing humming or whining noises when the Clear Action feature is disabled on their TVs.

I wish there were more good options in this size/price range, preferably with glossy (SP)VA panels.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 11-14-2015 at 12:15 AM.
post #7936 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure where to post this...

I have a slightly under 3 years old Panasonic P50UT50 that needs a new main board (the panel turns on but it doesn't accept any HDMI inputs), and I want to get rid of it.... should I (1) take it to the dump? or (2) try to give it away somehow (how)? or (3) do something else with it (what)?

thanks!
post #7937 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure where to post this...

I have a slightly under 3 years old Panasonic P50UT50 that needs a new main board (the panel turns on but it doesn't accept any HDMI inputs), and I want to get rid of it.... should I (1) take it to the dump? or (2) try to give it away somehow (how)? or (3) do something else with it (what)?

thanks!
Are all inputs dead or does it work from the component YPbPr input or SD input?

If you know for sure it's the main board, one sold on eBay a while back for $100 - Panasonic TC-P50UT50 Main Board TNPH0991 2A. So you might be able buy a used one cheap to repair it, or sell it on eBay as "For parts or not working".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-TC...p2047675.l2557

As you can see on the close-up photo, the HDMI connectors are not directly connected to the main board, but the SD and USB inputs are along with Power Switch, Channel up/dn and Vol up/dn switches.
post #7938 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are all inputs dead or does it work from the component YPbPr input or SD input?

If you know for sure it's the main board, one sold on eBay a while back for $100 - Panasonic TC-P50UT50 Main Board TNPH0991 2A. So you might be able buy a used one cheap to repair it, or sell it on eBay as "For parts or not working".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-TC...p2047675.l2557

As you can see on the close-up photo, the HDMI connectors are not directly connected to the main board, but the SD and USB inputs are along with Power Switch, Channel up/dn and Vol up/dn switches.
Looks to me like the two HDMI inputs are in the upper right side of the close up of that board.

Both HDMI inputs don't work on my P50UT50... but the component input does work... does that tell you what is broken with my TV? thanks

In any case, I already bought a Samsung 48" JU7500... it's in the mail. I'm not really the kind of person who is going to unscrew the insides of my old TV. And paying $400-$500 to a shop to repair it seemed not worth it.

Just trying to see what I might be able to do with this set instead of just taking it to the donation center or the dump.

thanks

Last edited by ProfD; 11-14-2015 at 11:37 AM.
post #7939 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Not being a gamer, I can't really comment on the difference in lag rates. But I'm sure other users of the TVs can. I'm more sensitive to blur than lag.

The 2014 Sony W600B is still available as well (and also currently on sale at BB). It has less lag than the Sammy J6300 and about the same contrast ratio. The Sony W600B uses a 60 Hz panel though. So it may have a bit more blur than the 120 Hz Sammy J6300. Fwiw, the Sony W600B was one of the lower-cost panels favored by AVS gamers last year.

The 40" and 43" Vizio E displays are also 60 Hz, but with low blur, according to Rtings. Some users of the Vizio 40" and 43" display report hearing humming or whining noises when the Clear Action feature is disabled on their TVs.

I wish there were more good options in this size/price range, preferably with glossy (SP)VA panels.
That's it! I knew I was considering another TV other than the Samsung or Vizio (you're right, so few options).

it was the Sony W600B. I forgot about it, I'll reconsider it. Maybe I didn't consider it because it was a year old, it does seem to have good ratings though.

If it's picture quality is as good as the j6300 (or close) I can get that, since it's good for gaming as well.
post #7940 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks to me like the two HDMI inputs are in the upper right side of the close up of that board.
If you mean on the second photo showing the panel with the connectors, they are labeled USB 1 and USB 2 with the USB symbol in between, so they are USB connectors. The reason I asked is it is usable as a TV since the component video inputs work. For example, if I were close by, I would take it off your hands because I still use component video for my basement TV. I use an old surround system with it that connects to the sound cables from the comcast box while the component video cables go to the TV. You should be able to sell it on eBay with local pickup for $300 to $400 since it is a fully functional TV of a decent size. Panasonic plasmas are still selling since they're not in production anymore and many people still prefer them over LED/LCDs.
post #7941 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you mean on the second photo showing the panel with the connectors, they are labeled USB 1 and USB 2 with the USB symbol in between, so they are USB connectors. The reason I asked is it is usable as a TV since the component video inputs work. For example, if I were close by, I would take it off your hands because I still use component video for my basement TV. I use an old surround system with it that connects to the sound cables from the comcast box while the component video cables go to the TV. You should be able to sell it on eBay with local pickup for $300 to $400 since it is a fully functional TV of a decent size. Panasonic plasmas are still selling since they're not in production anymore and many people still prefer them over LED/LCDs.
Thanks! I'm in Philadelphia. I don't know where you are located.

Looking at the listing for "PANASONIC TNPH0991UB MAIN BOARD FOR TC-P50UT50 ( DOESN'T WORK)" on the link that you provided, the two inputs to the right of the metal covering towards the top of the board are the HDMI inputs. I can't see close enough to see the labeling, but I can tell you that is exactly where my HDMI inputs are on the back of my TV relative to the component and all the other inputs. The USB inputs are on the side of the TV, and they are not at that distance from the component inputs.
post #7942 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Both HDMI inputs don't work on my P50UT50... but the component input does work... does that tell you what is broken with my TV? thanks
If you have to use an HDMI device, perhaps this would work for you.
http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRT-...r+to+component
post #7943 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Emergency TV advice

Need some emergency TV buying advice. Our lovely Panasonic plasma was hit by a flying object, and is flashing red with cracks inside the screen. Googling makes me think it’s done for.

I wasn’t planning on buying a TV anytime soon, so I haven’t been doing any research. I need some quick suggestions on what brands/models I should look at (understanding that everyone has their own preferences, etc.)

I’m looking to spend somewhere around $1000-$1200.
Looks like OLED is too expensive right now.
Looks like 55” is about in our price range, but would love to go 60” if possible. Will the difference between 55” and 60” worth extra? Our current is 50”.
I loved the picture of the plasma, no soap opera effect, no blur, etc. I want to get a screen with those same qualities.

Any places with particularly good deals right now? Not sure if I can wait until black Friday.

Thanks!
post #7944 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! I'm in Philadelphia. I don't know where you are located.

Looking at the listing for "PANASONIC TNPH0991UB MAIN BOARD FOR TC-P50UT50 ( DOESN'T WORK)" on the link that you provided, the two inputs to the right of the metal covering towards the top of the board are the HDMI inputs. I can't see close enough to see the labeling, but I can tell you that is exactly where my HDMI inputs are on the back of my TV relative to the component and all the other inputs. The USB inputs are on the side of the TV, and they are not at that distance from the component inputs.
Sorry, I was looking at the second photo which shows the panel on the side of the TV. The HDMI ports just look like black blobs to me but you know what they are by the location.

If you only have an HDMI output from your box, that link Golfster provided would work if you have a component cable to connect to the TV.
post #7945 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Need some emergency TV buying advice. Our lovely Panasonic plasma was hit by a flying object, and is flashing red with cracks inside the screen. Googling makes me think it’s done for.

I wasn’t planning on buying a TV anytime soon, so I haven’t been doing any research. I need some quick suggestions on what brands/models I should look at (understanding that everyone has their own preferences, etc.)

I’m looking to spend somewhere around $1000-$1200.
Looks like OLED is too expensive right now.
Looks like 55” is about in our price range, but would love to go 60” if possible. Will the difference between 55” and 60” worth extra? Our current is 50”.
I loved the picture of the plasma, no soap opera effect, no blur, etc. I want to get a screen with those same qualities.

Any places with particularly good deals right now? Not sure if I can wait until black Friday.

Thanks!
You might consider the Sony XBR55X810C especially if you won't be using it in a very bright room. It is right at your price point, has great contrast and blacks, is judder free with all movie sources, and is a native 120 Hz panel with very little motion blur.
post #7946 of 15195 Old 11-14-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I been reading a lot about TVs the last couple days and even though I wanted the biggest size screen I could afford (at a $2,000 price point) it looks like the Samsung UN65JS8500 may be the best TV I can get at the moment due to the HDR feature? It's a bit smaller than I had hoped. BTW, I'd be getting the Samsung UN65JS8500 at $2,000 pre-tax. The TV I was thinking about before all my research was the Sony KDL75W850C 75-Inch (seemed like the best for the price-point. But, no 4k and no HDR). Any recommendations? Perhaps wait until 2016? Just worried prices will be way too high to afford the new ones that are coming out anyways.

Last edited by Maestro24; 11-14-2015 at 05:37 PM.
post #7947 of 15195 Old 11-15-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice! Saw the Sony models in store and they looked good. Sales rep had good info about refresh rates.

How do the current LCDs match up to the plasmas from a few years ago? Thought about trying to find a used plasma since we liked ours so much.
post #7948 of 15195 Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Trying to decide on a new tv. Budget around $1000-$1500. Should I spend the extra money now for hdr, local dimm, etc or just buy the best tv in my budget and wait a few more years. I've had my current plazma for 9 years so I dont upgrade often.
post #7949 of 15195 Old 11-15-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestreaux View Post
Trying to decide on a new tv. Budget around $1000-$1500. Should I spend the extra money now for hdr, local dimm, etc or just buy the best tv in my budget and wait a few more years. I've had my current plazma for 9 years so I dont upgrade often.
You don't mention size, the distance you will be viewing at or if you have any viewing angle requirement, but your budget is too low for anything larger than 55" with those features. To tick all your boxes look at the Samsung UN55JS8500 for which the only downside is the limited edge-lit local dimming. Plus being it is a VA panel, off angle viewing over 20 degrees will be unacceptable. But it is arguably the best available within your budget since it is excellent in both bright and dark rooms, and also good for sports and gaming.

Last edited by VA_DaveB; 11-15-2015 at 02:45 PM.
post #7950 of 15195 Old 11-15-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestreaux View Post
At this time, do not worry about HDR. The standards are not set yet. Local dimming is worth it as it will help you get black levels closer to your plasma.

Depending on your seating distance, a 1080p set may be all you need. For example, you can get a 70" E-series Vizio with local dimming well within your budget.

What is your seating distance and space allotment for the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page