the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 312 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 956Likes

post #9331 of 16088 Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev6873 View Post
Hello. Was wondering if anyone could help recommend a basic TV. I am
Probably in the $750-1200 range and only really looking for Smart 55-60" flat LCD. I don't need 4K or anything crazy. I have a Sony Bravia 50" that is starting to fade after about 8 years that we loved. My biggest thing is something similar to that TV. Reliable, good picture and sound. Something that lasts but quality TV. I only need smart tv apps and no 4K crazy technology. Perfectly happy with the Bravia outside of it not having apps. Thoughts?
Unfortunately, nobody really makes a high quality long-lasting TV anymore. If you get more than 5 years out of a current generation TV you should feel happy.

Depending on what your picture quality priorities are here are some models I would look at in that price range.
Sony 55X900C
Vizio M55-D0
Vizio P50-C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev6873 View Post
Oh. And no soap opera affect. Hate that!!!
These days, most models will offer that functionality but also allow you to turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesTreble View Post
Are some of the 49" TV's a noticeable difference from the regular 50"?
Visually you won't see much difference but most of the 49" TVs will be IPS panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kril89 View Post
So I'm really torn between the vizio p50 or p55 and the ks8000. My budget right now is 1200-1400 so the bigger p65 is out (also will not fit in the room that i'm putting it in) I watch a lot of movies (blu ray and streaming from netflix ext) I plan to get either the xbox one s or ps4k or w.e. you want to call it to watch UHD movies. So I'm leaning towards the Vizio because of most of what I watch is what the P series excels at. I've gone into best buy and looked at both TV's and they look similar (the ks8000 looks better but yeah that's in store) But my girlfriend and all the sales people at best buy always try to get me to lean towards the KS8000. WHY IS THIS SO HARD! Also my current TV is a older 32inch 1080p sony from early 2008 so pretty much anything will be a upgrade.
I would lean towards the Vizio as well for your scenario. Keep in mind, the things that will make the Vizio shine in a home viewing environment may not be visible under the lights at BB. Also, they never seem to push Vizio at any of the BBs near me. Also, the Vizio TVs are often setup in a way that doesn't showcase them well.

That being said, the KS8000 is not a bad set either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1356 View Post
Trying to decide between a Samsung KS8000, LG UH8500 or Vizio P Series.

1. Budget
$1500-$2000
2. Seating distance
6 feet?

3. Size/placement limitations
No size or place limitations

4. Uses and sources
PC Gaming, 4k content with HDR

5. Room lighting
4 Daylight spotlight type bulbs and natural lighting from three large overhead picture frame style windows and a large sliding glass door
I think RichardTV makes some good points above. Personally, I would choose the Vizio or the Samsung over the LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 16088 Old 08-09-2016, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
If money isn't an issue at all- LG OLED, Vizio Reference
If money isn't much of an issue- Samsung KS, Vizio P
If money is somewhat of an issue- Vizio M, LG 7700, Samsung KU
If money is really an issue- Hissense

Best Picture quality- LG OLED
Best overall- Samsung
Best bang for the buck- Vizio

2016 Vizio M65-d0 Display
Vizio SB4051-c0 5.1 Channel Sound
Logitech Harmony 700 Universal Remote
Philips Bluray
Apple TV/Smartcast/AirParrot 2.0
Xfinity Cable
post #9333 of 16088 Old 08-09-2016, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I would lean towards the Vizio as well for your scenario. Keep in mind, the things that will make the Vizio shine in a home viewing environment may not be visible under the lights at BB. Also, they never seem to push Vizio at any of the BBs near me. Also, the Vizio TVs are often setup in a way that doesn't showcase them well.

That being said, the KS8000 is not a bad set either.
That's what makes it so hard, both will be great TVs for the money. I think I might just buy the Vizio and see how I like it and if I don't just return it and get the KS8000. Now the real question is do I get the 50 inch or 55 inch for the P Series, that's even harder then picking between the samsung and vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9334 of 16088 Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kril89 View Post
That's what makes it so hard, both will be great TVs for the money. I think I might just buy the Vizio and see how I like it and if I don't just return it and get the KS8000. Now the real question is do I get the 50 inch or 55 inch for the P Series, that's even harder then picking between the samsung and vizio.
I was evaluating the same three for many months but the deal breaker for me was the apps being on the tablet remote VS. being on the TV. It's a nice gimmick at first glance but in the end you're stuck having to have this extra tablet around for the TV. I consolidate all my remotes to my Harmony One. Makes everything simple and clean.

Picture wise they both looked good but in a brightly lit store I played with settings a bit and in all cases the Sammy produced a deeper color range and was capable of being much brighter than the Viz. I'm a 3 time Vizio buyer but I couldn't argue with what I saw.

Samsung 65KS-8000 VAA02, Xfinity X1 DVR, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500
Onkyo TX-NR747, Set up: Atmos 5.1.2
Klipsch R-26FA L/R), Klipsch R250 (C), Klipsch RP-140D (SS)
Subs: SVS BP-2000
Amazon Echo, Harmony Hub, Harmony Ultimate One, Samsung Smartthings Hub
post #9335 of 16088 Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Considering KS8000

Hi, just got an XB1S and want to take advantage of the HDR stuff. I am considering the Samsung KS8000 65". I currently have the Sony XBR65X900B.

Question# 1: how do the sports look on these TV's? I had seen about 2 years ago a Samsung I was considering had pretty bad lag with the motion on sports.

Question# 2: About HDR, if I am watching a 4K UHD movie or 1080P blu-ray/Satellite/Stream that are not made in HDR, will I still see a benefit in picture on a TV that has HDR? Or it is purely effective only on HDR branded content?

How about the xbox one games that are not HDR, do they look better on a TV with HDR?

Basically I want to know if HDR gives a better PQ regardless if the feed isn't HDR.

I also understand my TV is an 8Bit display (Xbr65x900B) and the Samsung KS8000 is 10 bit, is that independent of HDR?

I watch DirecTV, Netflix via Xb1S, Game.

Thank you!!!
post #9336 of 16088 Old 08-10-2016, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help finding a replacement for my 50" Kuro, which is showing signs of impending power supply failure.

For now, I've moved the Kuro to another room where it will live until it dies, and bought a (gulp) Samsung 65KU6300. I love the size of the Samsung, but am disappointed in the picture, so it will be going back to Costco once I find a better alternative.

So here are the requested details:

1. Budget
$1500 - $2500 (could go higher)

2. Seating distance
11'

It's above a fireplace. Not my choice, but I can live with it as there is no other option in this room. No restriction on TV height or depth, but max width is 59.5". So a 65" TV is the largest I can fit.

4. Uses and sources
DirecTV, AppleTV, and Netflix. My DirecTV receiver would need to be upgraded to receive 4K programming, which I'm in no hurry to do. I also have a BluRay player, but rarely use it. So mostly 1080P programming, occasional movies, but not much critical viewing. No gaming. No interest in 3D. Not much interest in HDR, but that may change.

5. Room lighting
Lighting is pretty well controlled. There are windows on the walls to either side of the TV, but the room faces north and the windows have shutters if needed. Lighting in the room is via a ceiling fan uplight that does not impinge directly on the screen.

6. Other
I like using a simple Universal remote, like a Harmony One. Built in apps on the TV are fine, but not a selling point for me. Definitely not interested in a curved screen. Audio will be 5.1 through a 2-year old Denon receiver, and IR control will use a Xantech sensor under the TV.

I've started shopping around and identified the following candidates, and have read the threads here and on Rtings.com for each TV.

1. Samsung UN65KS8000D. The reviews on Rtings.com are positive, and it seems like the logical step up from the 65KU6300. I like that I can get it at Costco with the added Warranty. I worry that I'll be disappointed when I get it in my home, and I don't love the break out box that needs to be installed behind the TV.

2. Vizio 65" P or M series. Having a hard time getting over my anti-Vizio bias. I know they have improved a lot, and some of the sets offer great vale.

3. Sony XBR930D. Very impressive in the store, and I have a friend with a 930C that raves about it. Rtings.com says don't bother, buy the KS8000. Also, I don't really want an Android anything.

4. LG OLED65B6P. Closest I've seen to the Kuro picture. I covet it, but it seems like prices are dropping now and waiting a year would get me additional options or better value.

5. 55" LG OLED. I think this was the OLED55B6P. Maybe a good option for me. The picture is beautiful, and the price is between the Samsung KS and the Sony 930D . I'd just have to live with the smaller size.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kit_C; 08-10-2016 at 02:26 PM.
post #9337 of 16088 Old 08-10-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Question# 1: how do the sports look on these TV's? I had seen about 2 years ago a Samsung I was considering had pretty bad lag with the motion on sports.
This is a hard question to answer. Everyone perceives motion so differently. I would probably try putting a brief clip of your favorite sport on a USB stick to your local store and ask them to play it for you.

Quote:
Question# 2: About HDR, if I am watching a 4K UHD movie or 1080P blu-ray/Satellite/Stream that are not made in HDR, will I still see a benefit in picture on a TV that has HDR? Or it is purely effective only on HDR branded content?

How about the xbox one games that are not HDR, do they look better on a TV with HDR?

Basically I want to know if HDR gives a better PQ regardless if the feed isn't HDR.
HDR support only impacts HDR content. It has no impact on anything else. That being said, newer TVs tend to get brighter than your X900B so you may see that.

Quote:
I also understand my TV is an 8Bit display (Xbr65x900B) and the Samsung KS8000 is 10 bit, is that independent of HDR?
That is more about the panel technology in use. In theory, a true 10-bit panel is better than a 8-bit+FRC panel but the difference is not so great that I would buy a new TV over it.

Ultimately, you have a pretty modern TV already and if you are happy with it I would be inclined to wait on a new purchase or jump to a top of the line set. Otherwise you just aren't going to be getting enough change for it to be worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post
1. Samsung UN65KS8000D. The reviews on Rtings.com are positive, and it seems like the logical step up from the 65KU6300. I like that I can get it at Costco with the added Warranty. I worry that I'll be disappointed when I get it in my home, and I don't love the break out box that needs to be installed behind the TV.

2. Vizio 65" P or M series. Having a hard time getting over my anti-Vizio bias. I know they have improved a lot, and some of the sets offer great vale.

3. Sony XBR930D. Very impressive in the store, and I have a friend with a 930C that raves about it. Rtings.com says don't bother, buy the KS8000. Also, I don't really want an Android anything.

4. LG OLED65B6P. Closest I've seen to the Kuro picture. I covet it, but it seems like prices are dropping now and waiting a year would get me additional options or better value.

5. 55" LG OLED. I think this was the OLED55B6P. Maybe a good option for me. The picture is beautiful, and the price is between the Samsung KS and the Sony 930D . I'd just have to live with the smaller size.

Thanks in advance!
I am not sure what I can add to your own analysis. There is no silver bullet. The OLED is going to give you best picture out of the options you listed but in return it will either be smaller or more expensive. The other three TVs you list are all good options. Lastly, the KU6300 is lacking in the picture quality department.
post #9338 of 16088 Old 08-10-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
This is a hard question to answer. Everyone perceives motion so differently. I would probably try putting a brief clip of your favorite sport on a USB stick to your local store and ask them to play it for you.

Ultimately, you have a pretty modern TV already and if you are happy with it I would be inclined to wait on a new purchase or jump to a top of the line set. Otherwise you just aren't going to be getting enough change for it to be worthwhile.
The USB stick is a good idea thank you!

What would be considered a considerable jump of an upgrade? Any extra technology I'm getting? future-proofing sort of?

Thanks!
post #9339 of 16088 Old 08-11-2016, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am looking for a good 1080p gaming TV that is under 40 inches.

I don't really have a budget, pretty sure just about any screen under 40 inches would fit within it since almost all the ones I see are around $200-300, I can probably afford up to $500 or a little more.

And I sit about 4-5 feet away.

As for inputs, I know my options are limited already due to being under 40 inches, so I would take anything at this point, because I know it will have less inputs than my current TV anyway, which is using all of it's HDMI, component, composite, and even VGA inputs.

Currently I have a 32 inch Sony BRAVIA KDL32BX320. While I watch a few movies on it, I almost exclusively use it for gaming. Problem is... it's only 720p, and Sony really REALLY doesn't seem to care to make good 1080p sets under 40 inches. I have no idea what other brands to consider for low-lag gaming.

I do NOT have room for a 40 inch, the 32 inch barely fits, and I can probably make a 37 inch work if the bezels were thin but it would be a stretch.

Problem is, no manufacturer seems to care for those that don't want a good TV the size of Jupiter in their room, the majority of screens under 40 inches are pretty trash. I have been trying to look at sites like Rtings.com and several others to try to find something decent, but I can't.

I have given up on premium features like 3D or 120hz, at this point, I just want a 1080p screen below 40 inches that would be good for gaming, and I can't even seem to find THAT.

Any suggestions?
post #9340 of 16088 Old 08-11-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The USB stick is a good idea thank you!

What would be considered a considerable jump of an upgrade? Any extra technology I'm getting? future-proofing sort of?

Thanks!
OLED, Samsung KS9800 or maybe the upcoming Sony Z9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberAkuma View Post
Problem is, no manufacturer seems to care for those that don't want a good TV the size of Jupiter in their room, the majority of screens under 40 inches are pretty trash. I have been trying to look at sites like Rtings.com and several others to try to find something decent, but I can't.

I have given up on premium features like 3D or 120hz, at this point, I just want a 1080p screen below 40 inches that would be good for gaming, and I can't even seem to find THAT.

Any suggestions?
Go used. At that size there will be way better offerings on the used markets. It is hard to get a high-quality new TV less than about 50-55".

Alternatively, you could consider a computer monitor and then put something in front of it to handle input scaling and switching.
post #9341 of 16088 Old 08-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what I can add to your own analysis. There is no silver bullet. The OLED is going to give you best picture out of the options you listed but in return it will either be smaller or more expensive. The other three TVs you list are all good options. Lastly, the KU6300 is lacking in the picture quality department.
Thanks, I know. Just looking for validation.
post #9342 of 16088 Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well, my Pioneer Plasma finally bit the dust and I need to replace it. I think I have narrowed my search and would appreciate some input as to which way to go. It has been years since I paid attention to TV technology so I am operating with a handicap. I want a 55' display as that is what fits in the giant piece of furniture that houses it. My choices: Vizio P55, Sony 930d and LG OLED 55. I realize I have covered all kinds of price points but I feel all of these come closest to what I'm looking for as I really loved the warmth of my plasma. Is the LG really worth 2x the price of the Vizio? If I decide on the Sony, why not spend $700 more for arguably the best picture available for less than $3000? Looking forward to your input and recommendations. Thanks!
post #9343 of 16088 Old 08-12-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athomas63 View Post
Is the LG really worth 2x the price of the Vizio?
Of course not. You are pretty much always going to get diminishing returns on technology at the upper end of the market.

That being said, the real question is if the additional cost is worth the additional picture quality for you.

Quote:
If I decide on the Sony, why not spend $700 more for arguably the best picture available for less than $3000?
At the 55" size the additional cost for OLED is much more reasonable. Especially if viewing angles are a priority.

Of course, without knowing how you would be using the TV is hard to make a strong recommendation.
noshank likes this.
post #9344 of 16088 Old 08-12-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course not. You are pretty much always going to get diminishing returns on technology at the upper end of the market.

That being said, the real question is if the additional cost is worth the additional picture quality for you.

At the 55" size the additional cost for OLED is much more reasonable. Especially if viewing angles are a priority.

Of course, without knowing how you would be using the TV is hard to make a strong recommendation.
Thanks for the info and reply and yes, would helpful if you knew how I used the TV! Mostly sports, some movies (from Blu Ray, cable and Netflix), HD Cable TV shows like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc and some Netflix. Not a gamer. The room is plenty dark at night and gets lots of morning sunshine but gets no direct sunlight in the afternoon and I watch virtually no TV in the morning. Also, viewing angles are not a priority based on how the room is set up.
post #9345 of 16088 Old 08-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Market For 65"

I am currently in the market for a new 65" TV for our main room and I think I have narrowed it down to these 3 models below. My budget is right around 3k and the TV's main purpose will be for sports and movies. Out of these 3 which do you guys think will give me the best overall experience? I do understand the Sony and KS are Edge lit, but will that give my a huge drop off in black level performance? Thanks in advance.
  • Sony 930D
  • Samsung JS9500
  • Samsung KS9000
post #9346 of 16088 Old 08-12-2016, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Looking at 4K 65" - $1500.00 Max

Hi all. Looking for my first 4K. Have Dish Network, Netflix, Panasonic Blu-ray. Currently have a 55" Samsung LCD (LN55B640) and would just like a bigger screen, so looking at 65" models. Budget is up to $1500.00

Early stages, but sort of narrowed to the three models below:

Vizio M65-D0
Samsung UN65KU7000FXZA
Sony XBR-65X750D

My wife and I watch a lot of movies, sports and streaming on Netflix. Seating is around 10' and angle viewing shouldn't be much of an issue. As noted, we currently have a Samsung and have been generally happy with it, but I have no experience with 4K. The Vizio is appealing due to the price point, but the Samsung and Sony are within my budget as well.
post #9347 of 16088 Old 08-13-2016, 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=dalto;45978673]OLED, Samsung KS9800 or maybe the upcoming Sony Z9.

Ok I went to BB and saw the 65KS8500, looked great though I couldn't get a USB stick with sports on it to test. The Magnolia guy told me it was much better from the 2014 models I had originally saw. However, I then saw the LG OLED, wow... all I can say. I was contemplating going 55" from the 65" I currently have because it looked so damn good. That being said, the wife is becoming sympathetic to the cause of a 3999.99 65 OLED 65C6P, it may be gimmicky but I love the curve form factor of both...

EDIT: Price just went back up to 4999.99, guess back to the waiting game...

Last edited by g.j.martin; 08-13-2016 at 11:50 PM.
post #9348 of 16088 Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info and reply and yes, would helpful if you knew how I used the TV! Mostly sports, some movies (from Blu Ray, cable and Netflix), HD Cable TV shows like The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc and some Netflix. Not a gamer. The room is plenty dark at night and gets lots of morning sunshine but gets no direct sunlight in the afternoon and I watch virtually no TV in the morning. Also, viewing angles are not a priority based on how the room is set up.
I think the OLED or the Vizio would be your best bet. Either save the money and go with the Vizio or spend extra and go all the way to the OLED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugzug81 View Post
I am currently in the market for a new 65" TV for our main room and I think I have narrowed it down to these 3 models below. My budget is right around 3k and the TV's main purpose will be for sports and movies. Out of these 3 which do you guys think will give me the best overall experience? I do understand the Sony and KS are Edge lit, but will that give my a huge drop off in black level performance? Thanks in advance.
  • Sony 930D
  • Samsung JS9500
  • Samsung KS9000
The JS9500. You are comparing last years flagship Samsung TV to upper mid-range TVs from this year. That being said, they are all good TVs.

The difference between FALD and edge lit should be pretty obvious in a dark room. Especially in scenes that are mostly dark with bright areas of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ18370 View Post
Hi all. Looking for my first 4K. Have Dish Network, Netflix, Panasonic Blu-ray. Currently have a 55" Samsung LCD (LN55B640) and would just like a bigger screen, so looking at 65" models. Budget is up to $1500.00

Early stages, but sort of narrowed to the three models below:

Vizio M65-D0
Samsung UN65KU7000FXZA
Sony XBR-65X750D

My wife and I watch a lot of movies, sports and streaming on Netflix. Seating is around 10' and angle viewing shouldn't be much of an issue. As noted, we currently have a Samsung and have been generally happy with it, but I have no experience with 4K. The Vizio is appealing due to the price point, but the Samsung and Sony are within my budget as well.
The Vizio is an easy choice of those three TVs for me. This years entry level Samsung TVs are not impressive to me at all. If you are interested in anything less than the KS8000 I think there are better offerings from other manufacturers. The Sony 750D is a decent basic TV but I think the Vizio will be more impressive, especially in a dark room.
post #9349 of 16088 Old 08-14-2016, 02:40 PM

Still on the mission... Went to a different BB where they had the 9000/9500 Samsung 65". I compared it to the LG OLED65C6P (curve) and I really couldn't tell the difference, except for maybe a bit more black on the OLED (which was expected), one is sustainably cheaper (65" 9000). Is the OLED 65C6P worth the 1500.00 difference? I can get the OLED at 4300+tax or a KS9000 for 2797 +tax, the curve I do happen to like, but the KS9500 jumps to 3500

I know the OLED has Dolby vision and HDR10 and the Samsung is only HDR10, however my xb1s is an HDR10 machine

I do bluray, building my 4K UHD collection now, DirecTV, Xbox 1s games, Netflix and other streaming services to be discovered...
post #9350 of 16088 Old 08-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Looking for my first new TV since 2008. Moved to a new apartment and want to get a nice 4K set. Budget is $750 or less but I guess I could go slightly higher if the product is right.

Mainly just want 4K and something in the 45-50 inch range. I will be watching sports, netflix and blurays.

thanks!
post #9351 of 16088 Old 08-15-2016, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need some guidance.

Price: Up to $2000
Size: 55"-65"
Room: Extremely bright during the day and early evening for sports and news and then about average darkness for night time Netflix and Movies.

No gaming for now although maybe a Xbox in the future. No bluray, only 4K content will be whatever is able to be streamed or via cable.

Thanks!
post #9352 of 16088 Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Trying to decide b/w these two......

Either the Samsung 75" KS9000 or the 85" JU7100.

Thoughts?
post #9353 of 16088 Old 08-16-2016, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Currently using a cheap 32" 720p Toshiba LCD from 2012. Looking to upgrade!

1. Budget - Trying to spend under $1000

2. Seating distance - about 6 feet away

3. Size/placement limitations - It's going to be a bedroom TV but it's where I spend the majority of my time when I'm home. Size wise I am thinking around 40".

4. Uses and sources - Mainly Gaming (Xbox One) and Netflix/Kodi. Also possibly the odd PC hookup to stream other things.

5. Room lighting - Pretty dark most of the time.

Also I am in Canada if that helps any. I know a lot of people will say that at that viewing distance/TV size I should just get a 1080p because anything better won't be noticeable but considering the availability of good 1080p TVs is pretty slim and the price differences aren't that great, I feel like I may as well just go for a 4k TV.

Currently, I've been looking into the Samsung KU6290 (KU6300 without bluetooth) because rtings.com has it as the best of the 40" TVs. Also a few stores in Canada have the Samsung TVs as tax free right now so I'd save a bit. I'd love to go with a Vizio P series TV but even the smallest would be far too large for my room.
post #9354 of 16088 Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for a TV for my bedroom. Sitting distance 10-12ft, Budget $1,000 or less. Mainly using for night time viewing, Sportscenter, sports, Friends. I'm not sure if I need it to be 4k or just 1080p.

Also in need of a 42in TV for my bar. Primarily for Sports, & that's about it. Budget $800 or less.
post #9355 of 16088 Old 08-17-2016, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
If you had a 10' viewing distance and were upgrading from a 32" crap TV...

Would you opt for a free 55" Sony X810C or pay $800 for the 65" version?

I have a lot of gift cards saved up - not sure if I'd be fine with a free 55" TV or a heavily discounted 65" set considering the viewing distance for PC usage/gaming & Netflix.
post #9356 of 16088 Old 08-17-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTVS View Post
Currently using a cheap 32" 720p Toshiba LCD from 2012. Looking to upgrade!

1. Budget - Trying to spend under $1000

2. Seating distance - about 6 feet away

3. Size/placement limitations - It's going to be a bedroom TV but it's where I spend the majority of my time when I'm home. Size wise I am thinking around 40".

4. Uses and sources - Mainly Gaming (Xbox One) and Netflix/Kodi. Also possibly the odd PC hookup to stream other things.

5. Room lighting - Pretty dark most of the time.

Also I am in Canada if that helps any. I know a lot of people will say that at that viewing distance/TV size I should just get a 1080p because anything better won't be noticeable but considering the availability of good 1080p TVs is pretty slim and the price differences aren't that great, I feel like I may as well just go for a 4k TV.

Currently, I've been looking into the Samsung KU6290 (KU6300 without bluetooth) because rtings.com has it as the best of the 40" TVs. Also a few stores in Canada have the Samsung TVs as tax free right now so I'd save a bit. I'd love to go with a Vizio P series TV but even the smallest would be far too large for my room.
At 10-12 feet you might as well get 1080p since it's not your daily viewer. I would go 65" for that distance too, maybe with 4K on 65" you may see some benefit, everyone's eyes are different. Take a tape measure to the store and compare 1080/4K sets.
post #9357 of 16088 Old 08-17-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post
Need some guidance.

Price: Up to $2000
Size: 55"-65"
Room: Extremely bright during the day and early evening for sports and news and then about average darkness for night time Netflix and Movies.

No gaming for now although maybe a Xbox in the future. No bluray, only 4K content will be whatever is able to be streamed or via cable.
There are a few good options in that range.

Sony 65X900C
Samsung 65KS8000
Vizio P65-C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
Either the Samsung 75" KS9000 or the 85" JU7100.
The size vs quality decision is a personal one. Not sure how much advice can be offered there. For me, it would depend on the size of the room and how far away I would be. An 85" TV can be be impressive. I suspect you would get used to the size pretty quickly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTVS View Post
I would see if there is anything available in the used market. There just aren't a lot of 40" TVs to get excited about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond_E111 View Post
Looking for a TV for my bedroom. Sitting distance 10-12ft, Budget $1,000 or less. Mainly using for night time viewing, Sportscenter, sports, Friends. I'm not sure if I need it to be 4k or just 1080p.
If you are watching in the dark at night I would look at the Vizio M55-D0.

You don't really choose between 1080p and 4K anymore. Pretty much only the most basic entry level sets are still offered in 1080p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond_E111 View Post
Also in need of a 42in TV for my bar. Primarily for Sports, & that's about it. Budget $800 or less.
I would see if there is anything available in the used market. There just aren't a lot of 42" TVs to get excited about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude87 View Post
If you had a 10' viewing distance and were upgrading from a 32" crap TV...

Would you opt for a free 55" Sony X810C or pay $800 for the 65" version?

I have a lot of gift cards saved up - not sure if I'd be fine with a free 55" TV or a heavily discounted 65" set considering the viewing distance for PC usage/gaming & Netflix.
Depends how much you value your $800.

If $800 is a lot of money to you than be happy with the free 55" TV. If it is money you have but don't want to spend you have a tough decision on your hands. If that much money is totally irrelevant to you than take the free 55" TV, buy a top of the line 85" and put the 55" on top. Way better solution than PiP.

Seriously though, this another of those things that are hard to advise someone else on.
post #9358 of 16088 Old 08-17-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Depends how much you value your $800.

If $800 is a lot of money to you than be happy with the free 55" TV. If it is money you have but don't want to spend you have a tough decision on your hands. If that much money is totally irrelevant to you than take the free 55" TV, buy a top of the line 85" and put the 55" on top. Way better solution than PiP.

Seriously though, this another of those things that are hard to advise someone else on.
LOL, thanks for the levity.

I realize it is pretty particular question, I'm just struggling with the cost vs benefit of the extra 10".

On one hand, $800 is a not-insignificant amount for me... on the other, getting a decent 65" set for $800 is a good deal in and of itself. That, and with a 10' viewing distance, 65" seems to be the minimum to distinguish 4k. Ugh. First world problems...
post #9359 of 16088 Old 08-17-2016, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
1. Budget
I am aiming for below $1500 CDN pre-tax, but less is obviously a bonus if comparable quality.

2. Seating distance.
My current layout allows for a decent amount of moving stuff around to get various distances. 7-8 feet is likely around the optimal though.

There are no size/placement limitations

4. Uses and sources
Blu-rays, potentially 4k Blu-rays when the updated PS4 comes out, gaming with my Xbox One, streaming video (Netflix, Crave TV (Canadian service))

5. Room lighting
I prefer some light, potentially behind while viewing movies since I find just a bright screen in a dark room strains my eyes. Natural light from Windows shouldn't be a problem.

I'm mostly trying to decide between the Vizio D55-D2 ($800), M55-D0 ($1400), or P50-C1 ($1500).

My current reasoning is that it seems likely that it's only worth getting a 4k tv if I am also getting HDR (thus no D55u-D1 listed) to remain future proof, and am unsure if the M55-D0's HDR is worthwhile.

Thanks.
post #9360 of 16088 Old 08-18-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrRome View Post
1. Budget
I am aiming for below $1500 CDN pre-tax, but less is obviously a bonus if comparable quality.

2. Seating distance.
My current layout allows for a decent amount of moving stuff around to get various distances. 7-8 feet is likely around the optimal though.

There are no size/placement limitations

4. Uses and sources
Blu-rays, potentially 4k Blu-rays when the updated PS4 comes out, gaming with my Xbox One, streaming video (Netflix, Crave TV (Canadian service))

5. Room lighting
I prefer some light, potentially behind while viewing movies since I find just a bright screen in a dark room strains my eyes. Natural light from Windows shouldn't be a problem.

I'm mostly trying to decide between the Vizio D55-D2 ($800), M55-D0 ($1400), or P50-C1 ($1500).

My current reasoning is that it seems likely that it's only worth getting a 4k tv if I am also getting HDR (thus no D55u-D1 listed) to remain future proof, and am unsure if the M55-D0's HDR is worthwhile.

Thanks.
If you are considering spending over $1,000 CAD and are anywhere close to the border, you should consider buying a TV in the US.

TVs made in Mexico are duty-exempt thanks to NAFTA, so you would only have to pay provincial tax at the border. Even with the poor exchange, paying US state tax and then provincial tax, you still end up saving at least the tax amount in most circumstances, and the difference goes further in your favour the more you're willing to spend.

Canadian retail prices are outrageous and there are very few instances in which you can buy a TV in Canada for the same price as you could in the US. Of course, if you don't live near the border, it's a different story - but it's something to think about.

For example, the M55-D0 is $1400 CAD here. It's $900 USD at Best Buy, plus MI state tax = $954 USD which is $1,222 CAD. 13% HST for ON at the border brings that up to $1,380 all-in, whereas you're paying $1,582 with tax included here in Canada. $200 might not seem like a lot but it does afford you with a good amount of wiggle room for a slightly better set at that price point. Whether or not the Vizio is made in Mexico or not is up to question, but I know a lot of Samsung and Sony sets are built in Mexico for sure.
MerrlinT likes this.

Last edited by jarude87; 08-18-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page