the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 377 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 788Likes

post #11281 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
Another question.

As a current plasma owner my next upgrade in my mind was always to get an LG Oled. However with issues that I have seen owners having, BI, complaints of ABL ,etc. Would love to see Oled hit over 1K nits ( I know CES 2018 is not far off and curious of what will be upcoming
Although almost no reason to upgrade as my current plasma is performing just fine. I do have the "bug" to buy a 4K TV

I am now considering going non oled.
I am considering the Sony 930E. Although an edge lit tv I was leaning toward a FALD tv such as Vizio. I am very impressed with the black on the TV and the PQ looks very nice. Will this upscale DVD/Bluray content well? Will this upscale better than LG oled? Any other tv you would recommend?
Watch very little sports and so very little gaming, more movies and tv shows (Netflix/Amazon Prime)

Thoughts? Thank you.
OK, let me get this straight - before the Sports/Movies/Gaming uses were for a relative, and now you're posting for yourself. Your primary uses are for movies/TV shows/Netflix/Amazon Prime.

For that, the 930E is a surprisingly good TV given that it is edge lit. It has arguably the best edge-lit dimming of any TV, is very bright and has the usual excellent Sony upscaling (LG upscaling is excellent also). It is also slated for a DV upgrade if that interests you. Overall it performs similar to the 900E but is much brighter, especially with peak highlights in HDR. Alternatives to the Sony XBR65X930E would be the cheaper ($1.8K) Sony XBR65X900E, the similarly priced LG OLED65C7P you originally were looking at, and the more expensive ($4K) Sony XBR65Z9D.

Since you have a plasma with virtually unlimited viewing angles, it that an issue? If so, OLED is the way to go. However, since you're happy with your current plasma, maybe swatting the upgrade bug and waiting isn't a bad idea.
gondey99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
After mulling my options and making another round of Coscto and Walmart, my only 2 walk in locations here for TVs, I have decided to research shipping sites and have not found a thread on here for that which surprises me. Can anyone point me to a thread here or if you have recomendations please feel free. My limitations are a 50" screen, Amazon will not ship anything bigger than that. I went to dummy order a Sony900(first choice if risking shipping) 49" I had no will not ship warning. Speaking of which they had a used offer for $150 less. Has that worked out for folks,buying"used".

Now I want to call a couple places and go over shipping and options particularly if problem with TV out of the box and if they have experience shipping to Hawaii. I'm looking for a place with a personal touch and values consumer service which seems to be a vanishing breed these days.

Sorry if in wrong place but didn't know where to post and this does come under chosing a TV help

Last edited by kauaidoug; 11-08-2017 at 04:16 PM.
post #11283 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post
After mulling my options and making another round of Coscto and Walmart, my only 2 walk in locations here for TVs, I have decided to research shipping sites and have not found a thread on here for that which surprises me. Can anyone point me to a thread here or if you have recomendations please feel free. My limitations are a 50" screen, Amazon will not ship anything bigger than that. I went to dummy order a Sony900(first choice if risking shipping) 49" I had no will not ship warning. Speaking of which they had a used offer for $150 less. Has that worked out for folks,buying"used".

Now I want to call a couple places and go over shipping and options particularly if problem with TV out of the box and if they have experience shipping to Hawaii. I'm looking for a place with a personal touch and values consumer service which seems to be a vanishing breed these days.

Sorry if in wrong place but didn't know where to post and this does come under chosing a TV help
Cleveland AV AKA Cleveland Plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11284 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question

Looking for some inputs for a new 4K TV. I am planning an upgrade from an old Philips 47" 1080p LCD to a 4K TV.

Budget $2K or less.
Mainly to watch cable TV (shows, sports, and movies) and blu-ray movies.
I do not plan to use any streaming services for movies or shows in the near future nor any gaming.
This TV will be in a small living room (11 x 14) with windows (covered by light-stopping curtains). Viewing distance of approx. 10 feet.

Near-future upgrades
2017 upgrade - Receiver from Onkyo SR705 to possibly Denon X3300 to go with my 5.0 PSB towers
2018 upgrade - Blu-ray player from fat PS3 to Sony UBPX800 (in 2018). I will add some 4K Blu-ray videos.
? - Add a sub-woofer.

Currently narrowed to Vizio M75-E1 (currently available for $2000 as Costco with 4yr warranty) or Sony XBR75X850E (will be available at BestBuy on Black Friday for $2000). I have read the reviews on rtings.com but still not certain which TV is better for my usage.

I am looking for some recommendations why 1 TV is superior than the other TV.
post #11285 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamtoh1 View Post
Looking for some inputs for a new 4K TV. I am planning an upgrade from an old Philips 47" 1080p LCD to a 4K TV.

Budget $2K or less.
Mainly to watch cable TV (shows, sports, and movies) and blu-ray movies.
I do not plan to use any streaming services for movies or shows in the near future nor any gaming.
This TV will be in a small living room (11 x 14) with windows (covered by light-stopping curtains). Viewing distance of approx. 10 feet.

Near-future upgrades
2017 upgrade - Receiver from Onkyo SR705 to possibly Denon X3300 to go with my 5.0 PSB towers
2018 upgrade - Blu-ray player from fat PS3 to Sony UBPX800 (in 2018). I will add some 4K Blu-ray videos.
? - Add a sub-woofer.

Currently narrowed to Vizio M75-E1 (currently available for $2000 as Costco with 4yr warranty) or Sony XBR75X850E (will be available at BestBuy on Black Friday for $2000). I have read the reviews on rtings.com but still not certain which TV is better for my usage.

I am looking for some recommendations why 1 TV is superior than the other TV.
For your usage, cable TV (shows, sports, and movies) and blu-ray movies, the Sony 850E is a better choice. The Sony has better upscaling of your cable TV 720p signal, has better judder control for 24p movies via your cable box, and better motion control for sports. Most people feel the Vizio M is better due to the fairly good FALD and better peak brightness but this only makes it better for 4K HDR viewing which is not something you specified.
post #11286 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
For your usage, cable TV (shows, sports, and movies) and blu-ray movies, the Sony 850E is a better choice. The Sony has better upscaling of your cable TV 720p signal, has better judder control for 24p movies via your cable box, and better motion control for sports. Most people feel the Vizio M is better due to the fairly good FALD and better peak brightness but this only makes it better for 4K HDR viewing which is not something you specified.
VA_DaveB, Thanks for your input. 1 quick question, does the upscaling done by TV matter, if the receiver (planned purchase of Denon X3300 in 2017) is used all the time? i.e. receiver will upscale all the inputs to 4K.

In current setup all inputs (Blu-ray player, Cable box) go into my receiver and from the receiver it will go to the TV. This will be similar with 4K TV and the new receiver.
post #11287 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamtoh1 View Post
VA_DaveB, Thanks for your input. 1 quick question, does the upscaling done by TV matter, if the receiver (planned purchase of Denon X3300 in 2017) is used all the time? i.e. receiver will upscale all the inputs to 4K.

In current setup all inputs (Blu-ray player, Cable box) go into my receiver and from the receiver it will go to the TV. This will be similar with 4K TV and the new receiver.
No, the TV's upscaling is irrelevant if you're providing an already upscaled 4K signal from your Denon X3300.
post #11288 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
No, the TV's upscaling is irrelevant if you're providing an already upscaled 4K signal from your Denon X3300.
Thanks VA_DaveB.
post #11289 of 15058 Old 11-08-2017, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm interested in recommendations for the best black Friday deal - been waiting months to get a new tv to get that deal.

I'm not sure what I want yet. I'm replacing a 65" 1080p LED I used for 8 years. I was happy with it but look forward to the improved tv's now.

I'd like to use the new one for years to come, but they keep adding new features - hey, 4k! hey, HDR! hey, OLED! So some balance of future-proof but not overspending to get just a little better.

I was happy with 65"; it fits nicely. I sit about 8' away. But of course, I can't help but think '75" would be a little bigger and more immersive and nicer', so there's a little temptation, but probably 65".

What I seem to read is 'OLED is the best and it's the future'. But also 'while OLED has the best blacks, LCD has the brightest colors'. Bright vivid colors I like and are more important to me than best blacks. Also some seem to suggest burn-in and I plan to use this for PC and a little console gaming.

This is for solo use; it's in a room with plenty of ambient light during the day with a big window and shades that let a good amount of light in, can be dark or pretty dark at night.

Budget isn't fixed but as I indicated, I don't want to feel like I'm getting an inferior picture to what I could have got, while not wanting to spend the 'best of' premium either. $2K give or take $500 maybe?
post #11290 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
I'm interested in recommendations for the best black Friday deal - been waiting months to get a new tv to get that deal.

I'm not sure what I want yet. I'm replacing a 65" 1080p LED I used for 8 years. I was happy with it but look forward to the improved tv's now.

I'd like to use the new one for years to come, but they keep adding new features - hey, 4k! hey, HDR! hey, OLED! So some balance of future-proof but not overspending to get just a little better.

I was happy with 65"; it fits nicely. I sit about 8' away. But of course, I can't help but think '75" would be a little bigger and more immersive and nicer', so there's a little temptation, but probably 65".

What I seem to read is 'OLED is the best and it's the future'. But also 'while OLED has the best blacks, LCD has the brightest colors'. Bright vivid colors I like and are more important to me than best blacks. Also some seem to suggest burn-in and I plan to use this for PC and a little console gaming.

This is for solo use; it's in a room with plenty of ambient light during the day with a big window and shades that let a good amount of light in, can be dark or pretty dark at night.

Budget isn't fixed but as I indicated, I don't want to feel like I'm getting an inferior picture to what I could have got, while not wanting to spend the 'best of' premium either. $2K give or take $500 maybe?
Look at the Sony XBR65X930E. It is very bright, has deep black levels, and will support DV for some level of future proofing.
post #11291 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have narrowed down my choices to:

E70 1.1K
70X690E 1.5K
M75 2K

RTings suggest X690E over the E series but there are several disadvantages over the E. Lower contrast, 8bit panel, lower color gamut, etc. I cant really see a difference in the upscaling photographs between the two.

What would be best for:
cable tv/ 720p and 1080i
long narrow room
no reflection issues and low light
no hdr / 4K content yet
HTPC/ monitor 1080p output
some gaming
dark movies
post #11292 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldHintern View Post
I have narrowed down my choices to:

E70 1.1K
70X690E 1.5K
M75 2K

RTings suggest X690E over the E series but there are several disadvantages over the E. Lower contrast, 8bit panel, lower color gamut, etc. I cant really see a difference in the upscaling photographs between the two.

What would be best for:
cable tv/ 720p and 1080i
long narrow room
no reflection issues and low light
no hdr / 4K content yet
HTPC/ monitor 1080p output
some gaming
dark movies
Since the M75 is double the price of the E70, I don't know why you've listed it. It is a much better TV than either of the other choices. Both the Vizio E75 and Sony 70X690E are fairly dim panels, so even though the E75 has rudimentary FALD, HDR won't look very good. If you're actually willing to go to $2K, there may be some more choices in the BF sales if you can wait a couple of weeks for things to flesh out.
post #11293 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Since the M75 is double the price of the E70, I don't know why you've listed it. It is a much better TV than either of the other choices. Both the Vizio E75 and Sony 70X690E are fairly dim panels, so even though the E75 has rudimentary FALD, HDR won't look very good. If you're actually willing to go to $2K, there may be some more choices in the BF sales if you can wait a couple of weeks for things to flesh out.

Thanks for the input

Yea I understand the price range is confusing for a simple decision. The SO wants me to get this over with all ready as we have been talking about it for a few years. The expectation is that a 70" costs around 1K where in reality I feel its gonna be 2-3K for something like the 75X900E. I just have way too many things to fix and spend time and money on to justify a mid range TV cost. Measured by time its not the main tv as the SO uses another tv by day. I will use the new tv for a pc monitor, web, htpc, light TV/Gaming and movies to watch usually in the afternoon and night.

Additionally I'm not sure what dim means in relation to a 8+ year old plasma that it would replace. Data for brightness on my panny 46G10 is slim in the old reviews and i am currently at 12 feet. The room has south facing windows with the display on a west wall but the house stays rather dark. I have an abundance of shade trees, with blinds and drapes on all windows. I dont need a torch of a display unless either option is unusable in normal light.

Rtings suggests x690E over the E series but comments are locked. Both displays seem to have advantages. Right now it looks like both are $1100 so its a wash. My content is of lower quality but it seems like Vizio has been improving its upscaling via firmware and the 690E doesn't have the same hardware as the more mid range+ sony models. Going to the store doesn't really help the decision.

I dont currently have access to hdr content as im running 1080p right now with cable + htpc.
If htpc plus 720p/1080p content is typical is either the x690E/E70 worth the money or is there justification for $2-3.5K tv?
post #11294 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
Thanks for the input

Yea I understand the price range is confusing for a simple decision. The SO wants me to get this over with all ready as we have been talking about it for a few years. The expectation is that a 70" costs around 1K where in reality I feel its gonna be 2-3K for something like the 75X900E. I just have way too many things to fix and spend time and money on to justify a mid range TV cost. Measured by time its not the main tv as the SO uses another tv by day. I will use the new tv for a pc monitor, web, htpc, light TV/Gaming and movies to watch usually in the afternoon and night.

Additionally I'm not sure what dim means in relation to a 8+ year old plasma that it would replace. Data for brightness on my panny 46G10 is slim in the old reviews and i am currently at 12 feet. The room has south facing windows with the display on a west wall but the house stays rather dark. I have an abundance of shade trees, with blinds and drapes on all windows. I dont need a torch of a display unless either option is unusable in normal light.

Rtings suggests x690E over the E series but comments are locked. Both displays seem to have advantages. Right now it looks like both are $1100 so its a wash. My content is of lower quality but it seems like Vizio has been improving its upscaling via firmware and the 690E doesn't have the same hardware as the more mid range+ sony models. Going to the store doesn't really help the decision.

I dont currently have access to hdr content as im running 1080p right now with cable + htpc.
If htpc plus 720p/1080p content is typical is either the x690E/E70 worth the money or is there justification for $2-3.5K tv?
Since budget is a priority and HDR isn't, I'd give the edge to the Sony for the upscaling, included tuner and Sony name.
post #11295 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input

OK, I get what you're saying. Outside of this forum, in the real world, most people buy and are happy with budget TVs. So, forget the M75 then and stay close to $1K.

By dim, I was comparing it to current TVs that are suitable for HDR viewing. Both of the TVs you are looking at have SDR and HDR peak brightness in the sub 250 cd/m2 range, while mid-range TVs are from 500 to 750 cd/m2 peak and high-end TVs are over 1,000 cd/m2 peak. BTW, I have an old circa 2008 Panny plasma also so I know where you're coming from on that.

As far as which to get, the Sony has better upscaling of 720p content, both are fine at 1080p, and is better as a PC monitor. The Vizio is 10-bit color vs. 8-bit color for the Sony, and has a higher contrast ratio. But really, the Sony's contrast ratio is high enough. The Sony has better motion control and gray uniformity, which are important for sports watching. A lot of pluses and minus and overall both perform at the same level. Many will point to the Vizio for having FALD but it really doesn't work very well. The Vizio M and P have much better performing FALD at a significantly higher price.
post #11296 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
OK, I get what you're saying. Outside of this forum, in the real world, most people buy and are happy with budget TVs. So, forget the M75 then and stay close to $1K.

By dim, I was comparing it to current TVs that are suitable for HDR viewing. Both of the TVs you are looking at have SDR and HDR peak brightness in the sub 250 cd/m2 range, while mid-range TVs are from 500 to 750 cd/m2 peak and high-end TVs are over 1,000 cd/m2 peak. BTW, I have an old circa 2008 Panny plasma also so I know where you're coming from on that.

As far as which to get, the Sony has better upscaling of 720p content, both are fine at 1080p, and is better as a PC monitor. The Vizio is 10-bit color vs. 8-bit color for the Sony, and has a higher contrast ratio. But really, the Sony's contrast ratio is high enough. The Sony has better motion control and gray uniformity, which are important for sports watching. A lot of pluses and minus and overall both perform at the same level. Many will point to the Vizio for having FALD but it really doesn't work very well. The Vizio M and P have much better performing FALD at a significantly higher price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Since budget is a priority and HDR isn't, I'd give the edge to the Sony for the upscaling, included tuner and Sony name.
Thanks All
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #11297 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Looking to finally upgrade in my main viewing area. This is a daylight basement with a short 7' ceiling. I've done an extensive remodel and now I'm looking to upgrade my components. Already replaced my Denon 4311ci with a x4300h so I can take advantage of atmos (yes, I know my ceiling height is outside of the recommended range - but during the remodel I added 4 atmos speakers anyway) and now it's time to retire my 2011 LG 55". Due to the ceiling height I did not wire for a projector so I'm going to replace with another panel TV. Viewing distance is going to be at the max of the spectrum for ultimate image quality (about 10').

Requirements:

* 4k/UHD,
* 69/70" to 75" due to viewing distance
* HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2
* OTA tuner - major requirement as I don't purchase cable/satellite packages
* ARC
* streaming capabilities - Vudu or whomever else is doing 4K content for now until I can replace my non-4k Oppo with the UDP-203 - I do have a high bandwidth/low latency internet connection and I've wired the entire house in Cat5e/with supporting 1GB switching infrastructure.
* DLNA support
* Ethernet interface (I do not use WiFi for content streaming)

Content/Programming:

* Sports are not a priority at all as I've stopped watching them
* Occasional auto race
* Gaming (Xbox/Playstation) used to be a big thing but I've stopped playing a bit the last few years. I see that changing though as my oldest son is getting old enough to be interested.
* Movies and streamed TV Shows will compromise the bulk of what is viewed

Budget:

* Prefer to keep it around $2500 USD or less. Can go bit a higher if technology/deal/etc justifies it

Brands :

* LG = Mixed feelings. As stated this is replacing a 2011 55" that has really performed flawlessly and been moved 3 times. However, a 2014 49" for a different room died after approximately 24 months of use. I do like their menu system and baked in app selection/etc.
* Sony - Partial to Sony only from past XBR tube experience. Not as familiar with their reputation in the LCD/LED/OLED world.
* Samsung - honestly not a fan of their menus/remotes/etc. I've heard rumors of reliability falling significantly over the last few years. Seems some models lack DLNA support.
* Others Im not as familiar with, but certainly not opposed to checking out.

I'm perfectly ok with buying online sight unseen if the reviews/recommendations support the product. Worth noting that I'm willing to be patient and wait for Black Friday or even post Xmas sales in order to get the most bang for my buck.

Last edited by itallushrt; 11-09-2017 at 01:06 PM.
post #11298 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post
Looking to finally upgrade in my main viewing area. This is a daylight basement with a short 7' ceiling. I've done an extensive remodel and now I'm looking to upgrade my components. Already replaced my Denon 4311ci with a x4300h so I can take advantage of atmos (yes, I know my ceiling height is outside of the recommended range - but during the remodel I added 4 atmos speakers anyway) and now it's time to retire my 2011 LG 55". Due to the ceiling height I did not wire for a projector so I'm going to replace with another panel TV. Viewing distance is going to be at the max of the spectrum for ultimate image quality (about 10').

Requirements:

* 4k/UHD,
* 69/70" to 75" due to viewing distance
* HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2
* OTA tuner - major requirement as I don't purchase cable/satellite packages
* ARC
* streaming capabilities - Vudu or whomever else is doing 4K content for now until I can replace my non-4k Oppo with the UDP-203 - I do have a high bandwidth/low latency internet connection and I've wired the entire house in Cat5e/with supporting 1GB switching infrastructure.
* DLNA support
* Ethernet interface (I do not use WiFi for content streaming)

Content/Programming:

* Sports are not a priority at all as I've stopped watching them
* Occasional auto race
* Gaming (Xbox/Playstation) used to be a big thing but I've stopped playing a bit the last few years. I see that changing though as my oldest son is getting old enough to be interested.
* Movies and streamed TV Shows will compromise the bulk of what is viewed

Budget:

* Prefer to keep it around $2500 USD or less. Can go bit a higher if technology/deal/etc justifies it

Brands :

* LG = Mixed feelings. As stated this is replacing a 2011 55" that has really performed flawlessly and been moved 3 times. However, a 2014 49" for a different room died after approximately 24 months of use. I do like their menu system and baked in app selection/etc.
* Sony - Partial to Sony only from past XBR tube experience. Not as familiar with their reputation in the LCD/LED/OLED world.
* Samsung - honestly not a fan of their menus/remotes/etc. I've heard rumors of reliability falling significantly over the last few years. Seems some models lack DLNA support.
* Others Im not as familiar with, but certainly not opposed to checking out.

I'm perfectly ok with buying online sight unseen if the reviews/recommendations support the product. Worth noting that I'm willing to be patient and wait for Black Friday or even post Xmas sales in order to get the most bang for my buck.
In the under $2,500 range, I'd recommend you look at the Sony XBR75X850E and the Vizio M75-E1. Both are VA panel sets with deep black levels. The Sony is a 120 Hz TV with better upscaling, motion and judder control but no local dimming, and the 60 Hz Vizio has FALD. If you can stretch the budget a bit, the Sony XBR75X900E is better with all the attributes of the 850E plus FALD and a brighter screen for around $3,000. But it could drop close to your $2,500 limit in BF deals. I would normally also recommend the Vizio P75-E1 but it is out of stock everywhere.

LG LCDs are all IPS panels with low contrast, but wider viewing angles. Only consider an IPS panel set if you will have viewer seated at off angle 25 degrees or more to the left or right. Samsung's 2017 line is disappointing.
post #11299 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
In the under $2,500 range, I'd recommend you look at the Sony XBR75X850E and the Vizio M75-E1. Both are VA panel sets with deep black levels. The Sony is a 120 Hz TV with better upscaling, motion and judder control but no local dimming, and the 60 Hz Vizio has FALD. If you can stretch the budget a bit, the Sony XBR75X900E is better with all the attributes of the 850E plus FALD and a brighter screen for around $3,000. But it could drop close to your $2,500 limit in BF deals. I would normally also recommend the Vizio P75-E1 but it is out of stock everywhere.

LG LCDs are all IPS panels with low contrast, but wider viewing angles. Only consider an IPS panel set if you will have viewer seated at off angle 25 degrees or more to the left or right. Samsung's 2017 line is disappointing.
Thanks a lot for the reply Dave! Unfortunately, it looks practically all of the Vizio line-up is out due to them being tuner free "displays" and not televisions. After my post I started reading back through the thread and it seems the Sony XBR75X900E is getting a lot of attention. Right now it is definitely at the top end / outside of my budget, but I guess like a bunch of other folks I'll hope for a BF deal. I also read in this thread that the XBR75X850E is an IPS Panel (only the 75" in this model is an IPS panel).

I think my options are to keep waiting or break down and get a much less expensive 65" and make due. Would your make/model recommendations vary greatly in a 65"?
post #11300 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itallushrt View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply Dave! Unfortunately, it looks practically all of the Vizio line-up is out due to them being tuner free "displays" and not televisions. After my post I started reading back through the thread and it seems the Sony XBR75X900E is getting a lot of attention. Right now it is definitely at the top end / outside of my budget, but I guess like a bunch of other folks I'll hope for a BF deal. I also read in this thread that the XBR75X850E is an IPS Panel (only the 75" in this model is an IPS panel).

I think my options are to keep waiting or break down and get a much less expensive 65" and make due. Would your make/model recommendations vary greatly in a 65"?
So since you don't need the viewing angles of an IPS, the 850E or any LG LCD is not what you want. You can get an ATSC tuner on Amazon for $35 or so to use with the $2,000 Vizio M75-E1 or wait for the 900E to go on sale. For 4K at 10 feet, you should get a 75".
itallushrt likes this.
post #11301 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for any help you guys are willing to provide. Close to wrapping up a pretty major remodel and need to start thinking about a TV for the living room.

Budget: I'll answer that with the comment that the three TV's I'm actively considering include the 65" Samsung Q9, 65" LG B/C7 OLED or possibly the Sony 930e.

Room Lighting: This is really the kicker and primarily why I'm posting so putting this first. The room has an unobstructed westerly view from the 2nd floor and opens to a large deck w/ a roughly 12 foot bifold glass door system (plus more windows). Southern California with LOTS of sun coming in during the daylight hours. As such, the room will be quite bright during daylight hours. The TV will be on the southern wall, but on the adjoining western wall side is basically only about 3 or 4 feet of wall, and then the large door out to the deck, with the path of the sun through the day following the door. Seems like the Q9 or 930e are the better options for bright rooms - so how much does this really matter?

Seating Distance: The room is all studs right now and hasn't been laid out for furniture, but I suspect we'll be setting up the L-shaped couch at or around 10-12 feet. Please note this is an "open" living room that is adjoining the kitchen, and not our media room. Possible we might have a game on and be sitting outside on the deck, so while the screen may be small, viewing angle is a minor consideration and obviously leans toward the LG.

Size/Placement Limitations: Considering we're not major TV/movie watchers, and as WAF requires primarily in-ceiling speakers (I may get away w/ either a Sonos Soundbar + Sub or Center channel in a console + sub + rest in ceiling), we aren't trying for the optimal viewing size. That said, since my media room is an 80" Sharp from 2011 I can imagine that I'll love the 4k on the new TV and will consume more content on it than I realize, whether it be movies or gaming on the Xbox One X (I'll keep the Original Xbox One downstairs w/ the old TV). With the L-shaped couch off-axis viewing will occasionally be an issue.

Uses/Sources: Today we're only OTA and also use Vudu (mostly HDX movies)/Netflix/Xbox/BluRay. I'm considering switching from Uverse to Cox (my only two options) for faster internet, and as part of that may end up w/ OTA + Cox Cable. Considered prewiring for DirectTV, but unlikely I'll actually subscribe. We will also have a HTPC/home server that I'll serve up content from, though TBD on how much I'd really use it. Maybe some old home movies on my Synology box. Xbox One X unless for some reason I try a PS4 instead.

I'll be posting more questions about the room/equipment/AV later, but given Black Friday is around the corner I figure I may as well pick the TV and go from there.

Thanks for the help!
post #11302 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkr11 View Post
Thanks for any help you guys are willing to provide. Close to wrapping up a pretty major remodel and need to start thinking about a TV for the living room.

Budget: I'll answer that with the comment that the three TV's I'm actively considering include the 65" Samsung Q9, 65" LG B/C7 OLED or possibly the Sony 930e.

Room Lighting: This is really the kicker and primarily why I'm posting so putting this first. The room has an unobstructed westerly view from the 2nd floor and opens to a large deck w/ a roughly 12 foot bifold glass door system (plus more windows). Southern California with LOTS of sun coming in during the daylight hours. As such, the room will be quite bright during daylight hours. The TV will be on the southern wall, but on the adjoining western wall side is basically only about 3 or 4 feet of wall, and then the large door out to the deck, with the path of the sun through the day following the door. Seems like the Q9 or 930e are the better options for bright rooms - so how much does this really matter?

Seating Distance: The room is all studs right now and hasn't been laid out for furniture, but I suspect we'll be setting up the L-shaped couch at or around 10-12 feet. Please note this is an "open" living room that is adjoining the kitchen, and not our media room. Possible we might have a game on and be sitting outside on the deck, so while the screen may be small, viewing angle is a minor consideration and obviously leans toward the LG.

Size/Placement Limitations: Considering we're not major TV/movie watchers, and as WAF requires primarily in-ceiling speakers (I may get away w/ either a Sonos Soundbar + Sub or Center channel in a console + sub + rest in ceiling), we aren't trying for the optimal viewing size. That said, since my media room is an 80" Sharp from 2011 I can imagine that I'll love the 4k on the new TV and will consume more content on it than I realize, whether it be movies or gaming on the Xbox One X (I'll keep the Original Xbox One downstairs w/ the old TV). With the L-shaped couch off-axis viewing will occasionally be an issue.

Uses/Sources: Today we're only OTA and also use Vudu (mostly HDX movies)/Netflix/Xbox/BluRay. I'm considering switching from Uverse to Cox (my only two options) for faster internet, and as part of that may end up w/ OTA + Cox Cable. Considered prewiring for DirectTV, but unlikely I'll actually subscribe. We will also have a HTPC/home server that I'll serve up content from, though TBD on how much I'd really use it. Maybe some old home movies on my Synology box. Xbox One X unless for some reason I try a PS4 instead.

I'll be posting more questions about the room/equipment/AV later, but given Black Friday is around the corner I figure I may as well pick the TV and go from there.

Thanks for the help!
The Sony XBR65X930E is a better and $800 cheaper TV than the Samsung QN65Q9. So, if you're going LCD for the extra brightness go for the brighter, cheaper 930E. The LG OLED65C7P is only $300 more than the Sony XBR65X930E and although not near as bright has infinite black levels and much better viewing angles. The main OLED glitches are IR, if you keep some type of menu on all the time, and the ABL that can cause fluctuations in brightness with very bright scenes, but it's not a common occurrence. The LG does very well with reflections. So I'd recommend you choose between the Sony 930E and the LD OLED.

Speaking of reflections, if the TV is on a true southern wall, no sun will ever be directly on the screen. Since anywhere in California you're at least 15 degrees north of the Tropic of Cancer, the setting sun will always be to the south and shine on the north and west walls. Now that all changes if your "southern wall" is on a diagonal and actually more of a southeastern wall. You can use the compass app on your phone to figure out the exact layout of the room.
post #11303 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Look at the Sony XBR65X930E. It is very bright, has deep black levels, and will support DV for some level of future proofing.
OK, thanks for the reply. There's just the one reply - so no other sets to consider, just watch for a good deal on this set black friday?
post #11304 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all, been looking to upgrade my 32" 1080p Samsung to something larger. 4k TVs seem pretty ubiquitous now so I figure that’s another reason to upgrade. I am curious as to what y’all think may be a good fit for my setup.

Basically, I’m looking for something in the 42”- 50” range under $600, ideally under $500. I mostly watch streaming content and have an antenna for over the air stuff, usually sports. I do have a PS4 (non-pro) for games, Blu-ray and additional streaming options. Usually when I’m watching TV the room is either low light or dark, and I’m directly in front of the TV so viewing angles aren’t an issue.

From my own searches the Samsung MU7000 looks like a good fit, though I think I could save a bit with the mu6300 and not miss much; particularly considering I don’t have much to take advantage of HDR at the moment. I’m certainly open to hearing other suggestions though and could probably squeeze a 55” into the space if there’s a significant increase in quality to be had.

Assuming I went the Samsung route though, are there any significant problems with the panel lottery? I know in the past you could hedge your bets by searching for panels manufactured by Samsung usually with the TS or TH designation on the version. I did see an article on rtings.com suggesting it didn’t matter, actually the AU Optronics panel came out the best; however with a small sample size (1 each) and each panel type being a different size there’s probably a lot of room for error there.

Anyways, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
post #11305 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi there,

I've narrowed down my search to the Sony x930E 65 inch or x900E 65/75 inch. Having trouble deciding on getting one of these 3 versions..Don't really want to shell out the extra cash for 75 inch but wondering people's opinions on this matter.

1. Budget

Preferably in the range of x930E/x900E 65 inch - however, have been considering the 75 inch x900E

2. Seating distance

Approximately 10-12 feet - this is my issue in deciding between the two. Currently, we are about 12 feet from our current TV with a 55inch

3. Size/placement limitations
No placement/size limitations as it is a full wall

4. Uses and sources
TV watching streaming mainly off of computer, using netflix

5. Room lighting
Next to a balcony with 12 foot wide sliding door windows - north facing
Light in living room will be lamps

Thanks in advance!
post #11306 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyAllTheWay2017 View Post
Hi there,

I've narrowed down my search to the Sony x930E 65 inch or x900E 65/75 inch. Having trouble deciding on getting one of these 3 versions..Don't really want to shell out the extra cash for 75 inch but wondering people's opinions on this matter.

1. Budget

Preferably in the range of x930E/x900E 65 inch - however, have been considering the 75 inch x900E

2. Seating distance

Approximately 10-12 feet - this is my issue in deciding between the two. Currently, we are about 12 feet from our current TV with a 55inch

3. Size/placement limitations

No placement/size limitations as it is a full wall

4. Uses and sources

TV watching streaming mainly off of computer, using netflix

5. Room lighting

Next to a balcony with 12 foot wide sliding door windows - north facing

Light in living room will be lamps

Thanks in advance!

At that distance, 75 for sure. If you’re going for a 930E I would get an LG oled over it. I have an x940e, and highly recommend it over the 900e 75”. It is a much brighter tv with much better local dimming. Dolby vision should be supported fairly soon as well. I’d imagine you can get it for 3800-4000 on black Friday. If that’s not in your budget the 75 x900e will still be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11307 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel like my question maybe got missed on the last page....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
I'm back! (after 4 1/2 years )

Looking to upgrade my TV. I have a Vizio E601-A3. It's fine, but it does not do dark very well (this was painfully obviously when we streamed Stranger Things last weekend). Could be my imagination, but it seems like that particular problem has gotten worse over the years.

So, I would like a TV that does good dark, if you know what I mean. 55' - 65' (though 65' is going to be tight in the space we have (TV literally can not be wider than 57' 1/2 or taller than 35'.) We don't play video games. We watch a lot of regular old TV, with an old cisco cable box and an old Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver (aside that I have no idea if the cable box or receiver could be affecting the picture quality) and we also watch a lot of movies/Netflix and streaming goes through LG390 Blu Ray Player - again, no idea if that is affecting the picture quality).

Budget is probably up to ~$2000.00. The Vizio was much cheaper than that 4 1/2 years ago, so I was hoping to get a significant improvement, though some of the threads I read make it sound like the new 4K TVs still have all the same problems, and might even be worse for watching regular TV, but I thought this might be a good time to bite the bullet what with Black Friday and all.

If you think I should upgrade any of the other stuff to see improvement, please let me know that as well. And do I need new HDMI cables if mine are 4 1/2 years old?

Thanks!
Anyone got a recommendation? Frankly seems like the size limitation might be the biggest issue, as a lot of nice TVs just won't fit in the space.
post #11308 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod View Post
I feel like my question maybe got missed on the last page....

Anyone got a recommendation? Frankly seems like the size limitation might be the biggest issue, as a lot of nice TVs just won't fit in the space.

You don’t list a budget. But if you want good blacks in that range. LG b7/c7 will have the best. Sony x900e is an lcd with local dimming gets fairly bright, which is about 1200 right now in 55. The lg b7a can be found for about 1400 has perfect blacks and gets near the brightness of the x900e. Vizio p65 great blacks but doesn’t get the brightest either but cheap for a 65.
post #11309 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastblack View Post
At that distance, 75 for sure. If you’re going for a 930E I would get an LG oled over it. I have an x940e, and highly recommend it over the 900e 75”. It is a much brighter tv with much better local dimming. Dolby vision should be supported fairly soon as well. I’d imagine you can get it for 3800-4000 on black Friday. If that’s not in your budget the 75 x900e will still be great.

It's just the price jump that is really getting me. At least a $600 difference for me :S

Is it that much of a difference at that distance? Will 65 inch still be OK or is it quite far?
post #11310 of 15058 Old 11-09-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyAllTheWay2017 View Post
It's just the price jump that is really getting me. At least a $600 difference for me :S

Is it that much of a difference at that distance? Will 65 inch still be OK or is it quite far?

I sit 11.5 feet and the 75 is great. 65 would feel too small and you will not be able to tell a difference between 4k and 1080p most likely. The bigger the better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page