the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 741Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11491 of 14815 Old 11-20-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,316
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6520 Post(s)
Liked: 6233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhraracing View Post
Hello - Need some help / opinions from the experts here on AVS.



We are a Plasma Family - we have owned nothing but Plasma TV's - it all started with a Pioneer 5070 50" which is still in operation and now the Bedroom TV, from there we have a 60F5300 in main living room bought new Nov '13 and a 64F8500 in our Family room.



The TV we watch the most is the 60F5300 - its on a majority of the time we are home with just standard Cable programming with an occasional Blue ray on the weekends. Recently we watched standard cable TV and a Blue Ray movie up in the family room on the F8500 and we commented how awesome the picture quality is - that got us to thinking......should we 'upgrade' our everyday TV in the main living room to a new LED 4KTV ??



We were away on Vacation a few weeks ago and the resort room had a Samsung LED TV that played really nice - so we are pondering a switch to a new 4k LED TV - One thing I know that we DO NOT like is the Soap Opera Effect - absolutely hate that....if any TV that I owned had it and I could not get rid of it, it would go back ASAP.



So, we really do not 'need' a new TV, but we are on the fence of buying a new one during the black Friday sales, we would go with a 65 so it would be a little upgrade in size, but would we really like the new 4k LED TV's as compared to Plasmas?



If we 'upgrade' - the f5300 would go in a closet as a back up TV.



If you think its worth an 'upgrade' here are what we are looking at - staying only with Samsung and Sony TV's.....



1. Budget: $2000

2. Seating distance: 15 feet

3. Size/placement limitations: Mounted to Wall - max is 65" most viewing is straight on with 1 guest seat 30 Degrees off the other 60 degrees off, but guests only on holidays.

4. Uses and sources: Spectrum Cable TV - Occasional Blue Ray movie.

5. Room lighting: Large windows - very bright room during the day, but most TV viewing is evenings, except weekends.

6. Main first floor living room - Most TV viewing here along with holiday guests.



The TV's I am contemplating are in order of preference:



Sony 65X900E - 1499.00

Sony 65X930E - 1999.00

Samsung 65MU9000 - 1699.00

Samsung 65MU800 - 1299.00



Or - should we wait until OLED becomes more mainstream ? I have not had the opportunity to see the picture quality on any of the new OLED's and I really do not want to stretch budget past 2k. So bottom line is, we really don't 'need' a new TV, thought that the new 4k TV's might be nice to have in the main TV viewing room - OR we can just wait till next year and see what the new OLED offerings and prices will be ??



Thoughts - Help - Opinions ??



Thanks

For your price limit I would say Sony 65.X900E or Vizio P65 for LCD and the 65B7 for OLED. The 75B7 can be had for “just over” your budget (under 2.5k) The LCDs will probably serve you better for daytime viewing and any off angle viewing. For night time viewing an OLED would be better. Do you or your family watch a lot of TV with “hard” logos? If so, then you may want to read up on IR for OLED. With LCDs you’ll need to get used to the viewing angles and the way motion is handled (as well as the different “look”.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a4tq View Post
1. Budget $1500. Must purchase @ Bestbuy (I'm sitting on a bunch of BB gift cards)

2. Seating Distance 8'

3. Current Display - 42" 720p Insignia Plasma (Samsung ODM)

4. Sources - OTA Broadcast, Bluray



Trying to decide between the Sony 65X900e and the Vizio P65-E1. Obviously the biggest difference is the Sony's lack of DolbyVision. How important is it have DolbyVision on a 4k HDR set?


IF you can find the P65 at B.B. it would be a tough decision. The Sony is highly rated and has FALD. DV while not super important now, may be more important later on as mor discs come out supporting it.
Ph8te is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11492 of 14815 Old 11-20-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolachak View Post
I have a big bright living room. However, most of the TV I watch is at night. Most of our content is Netflix,Amazon prime,YouTube, and Kodi. Currently we sit about 12' from the screen. My budget is trying to keep to 1000 or 1500ish max.

I am trying to keep price down I am debating between a Vizio e70, Vizio m70, or Vizio e75. We previously had a 60" sharp tv that was good for its time. we then bought a samsung 65ks8000. The picture was great but hdr seemed complicated to get to work properly and I was underwhelmed by the upgrade to only a 65".

Should I just save my money and the Vizio E70 will be fine? or spend the extra 300 upgrade to the Vizio M70 and get a tv that supports WCG/dolby vision and is superior tv or spend the extra 500 because its only 200 more than the M series for the upgrade.

Is the extra 300 worth it for upgrading to the M? or is it better to spend 500 and go from E70 to E75?

Am I missing another buy?
The Vizio M is the one to get. It is brighter with much better FALD and has WCG.
jpolachak likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11493 of 14815 Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 PM
 
WinMod21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
In 49"~50" class . . Samsung MU7000 vs. MU8000 vs. Vizio M50-E1 ???

We're looking for a 49"~50" secondary tv for a 2ndary tv room [western exposure/bright room spring -thru- fall], to watch mostly [DirecTV] shows, news, movies, sports, and DVD, Blu-ray, with I guess more HDR in the furure, and have kinda narrowed it down to the 49MU7000 [BB price 549.] or the 49MU8000 [BB price 699.]. If I read many more reviews I think I might go insane! Read so many rtings .com reviews yesterday.... I think I dreamt about them last night.

Then there's the Vizio M50-E1; attracted to it for PQ & overall ratings, and Dolby Vision, etc. Another plus is the [BB 499. price].
But my wife thinks having to use phone for [casting? apps to tv before accessing/streaming?], sounds clunky and like a hassle. Regarding the 'Vizio SmartCast', rtings .com says:
"An update recently added built-in app support, but currently few apps are supported and the app's interfaces are really choppy. The update also added proper USB drive support, so files can be browsed and played, but HDR is still not played properly." . . ( see 'Smart Features).

Would very much welcome any opinion-- as to whether the extra $150. for the MU8000 would be money well spent, present & future-wise. Or not really so much? And Vizio M50-E1 vs. MU7000/8000. Thanks for any & all input.

Last edited by WinMod21; 11-20-2017 at 04:38 PM.
WinMod21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11494 of 14815 Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Member
 
Spartan60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sports first

I was all set to buy a 75 inch Sony900e. But then I started thinking too much. What I need is 75 incher for 12 foot viewing. Then I saw the TCL 75C807 available after Christmas (no big deal) but no reviews. I was also thinking I need more wide angle than 900e provides. So I threw in the LG 75SJ8570 into the mix. It will be used for sports, Amazon, Netflix and gaming. Some days it will not used at all. Will it worth some few hundred dollars more for the Sony since it probably will be under used for all it has features. Specs on the TCL look good. Replacing 4 year Sharp 65 inch
Spartan60 is offline  
post #11495 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 01:13 AM
Newbie
 
jctl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV for small room -- 43"

Sorry for the boring topic, all, but I need to get a second TV for a room where space constraints mean it can't be more than 43". Money isn't really a concern, but a lot of the good quality tv aren't available at this size.

I'd like to buy from Costco for the return policy/warrenty, but they don't have a lot of choice -- just a TCL 43S403 (rebranded S405) and a Samsung 43MU630D (rebranded M6300). I was going to go with the Samsung, but I've read that this size/model has an IPS panel. Am I better off with the TCL?
jctl is offline  
post #11496 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, long time lurker here. I was wanting some opinions on the Vizio M75-E1 vs the XBR75X850E. They are around the same price currently(~$200) and I am ready to pull the trigger. I have done a lot of research on the two and I am stuck. It appears the Vizio has some features the Sony doesn't, fully backlit, DB support, etc. I am weary however, I have two Vizios currently, a 47" that all the HDMI ports went out on except one, and a m650vse that I had to replace the board on. I would imagine the Sony would have a better build quality. Any thoughts on which unit is better?
Codeman89 is offline  
post #11497 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 06:24 AM
Member
 
powerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman89 View Post
Hello, long time lurker here. I was wanting some opinions on the Vizio M75-E1 vs the XBR75X850E. They are around the same price currently(~$200) and I am ready to pull the trigger. I have done a lot of research on the two and I am stuck. It appears the Vizio has some features the Sony doesn't, fully backlit, DB support, etc. I am weary however, I have two Vizios currently, a 47" that all the HDMI ports went out on except one, and a m650vse that I had to replace the board on. I would imagine the Sony would have a better build quality. Any thoughts on which unit is better?
I'm TV shopping as well (I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a 900e). I stared at a bunch of screens for a while in Best Buy yesterday and was very impressed with the Sony's as well as the Vizio M-series. The Vizio does have more features and looks like a lot of tv for the $$. My eyes liked Sony better though (both the 850e and 900e). I don't have any personal experience with Vizio, but I would be more confident in the quality/longevity of the Sony. The only complaints I've seen on the Sony's have been viewing angle, and lack of Dolby Vision.

Last edited by powerfreak; 11-21-2017 at 07:21 AM.
powerfreak is offline  
post #11498 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 AM
 
WinMod21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctl View Post
Sorry for the boring topic, all, but I need to get a second TV for a room where space constraints mean it can't be more than 43". Money isn't really a concern, but a lot of the good quality tv aren't available at this size.

I'd like to buy from Costco for the return policy/warrenty, but they don't have a lot of choice -- just a TCL 43S403 (rebranded S405) and a Samsung 43MU630D (rebranded M6300). I was going to go with the Samsung, but I've read that this size/model has an IPS panel. Am I better off with the TCL?
Hi jctl, we were gonna pull the trigger on the 43" 6300 last weekend at BB, due to much better viewing angle of the IPS panel (which is only on the 43" MU6300, the rest of the 6300 panels all have VA panels). But then I read that the IPS panel has "much worse contrast" than the VA panels, and after discussing contrast vs. wide viewing angles with the BB store sales guys, we agreed that the better contrast would probably be more appreciated by us -- than the wider viewing angles.

So then we decided to step up to the 50" 6300. Then the 49" 7000 due it being only $70 more. Bought it, but haven't picked it up yet, because of course I came home and on Sunday started crunching (every chance I got) the rtings .com reviews on the 7000 vs. 8000 vs. M50-E1 ...until by yesterday, I thought my brain was about to freeze/tilt ! :-/ :eek
WinMod21 is offline  
post #11499 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Looking at getting a TV for Black Friday.

I am replacing a 3 year old Samsung UN55H7150. Great TV, I just really want 4k and HDR

I play A LOT of movies with MKV files and Samsung has always been the only TV that I know of that supports all the files that I play.

So I am looking at these TV's in 65":

Samsung Q7F
Samsung MU9000
LG OLED (worried about burn in and lack of MKV file support)
Sony 930e (worried about lack of MKV file support)

Any suggestions? Everything is at black friday prices now, so I'm ready to buy.
Kyle Lopez is offline  
post #11500 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony vs. Samsung question.

Looking at mid line Samsung MU8000/MU800D or Sony 900E in 55" versions. Unfortunately, Costco does not sell the Sony and I really like the extra warranty protection that Costco will provide for no cost when I use my Costco Citi credit card for a TV purchase...total of 3 additional years beyond manufacturer's 1 year warranty. I realize that I can purchase a Square Trade warranty for the Sony through Costco at a lower cost than BestBuy. I want to buy locally making return easier if it's DOA or goes bad in initial usage.

Our usage is 90% cable TV, 10% Netflix or Amazon streaming, no gaming. I'm leaning towards the Sony as the better TV for our use but have read about issues with the Sony remote control response time. Conversely, the Samsung's remote doesn't have the key pad numbers on it. My wife is a channel surfer and is technologically challenged therefore needing simplicity. She would prefer a TV that when it's turned on it goes immediately to whatever channel the cable box has set as the default channel. Which of these models would be easiest to navigate and quick to response to inputs with their factory remote or is the difference a non factor?
Roadking123 is offline  
post #11501 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,316
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6520 Post(s)
Liked: 6233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Lopez View Post
Looking at getting a TV for Black Friday.



I am replacing a 3 year old Samsung UN55H7150. Great TV, I just really want 4k and HDR



I play A LOT of movies with MKV files and Samsung has always been the only TV that I know of that supports all the files that I play.



So I am looking at these TV's in 65":



Samsung Q7F

Samsung MU9000

LG OLED (worried about burn in and lack of MKV file support)

Sony 930e (worried about lack of MKV file support)



Any suggestions? Everything is at black friday prices now, so I'm ready to buy.


Why not just get a media player and then you don’t have to worry about what formats your TV supports? That’s what most folks do here (on the forums). Personally I’d go for the OLED or 930e on your list (with edge towards OLED especially if you watch mostly at night).
Ph8te is online now  
post #11502 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Member
 
mychaelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1. $200 to $400
2. 8' to 10'
3. No limitation other than distance
4. Fire TV, Tivo Roamio
5. Open at one side of living room, and large window behind TV (blinds there however)

Looking to get a new TV to replace my old 32" Toshiba that lasted great. It just now doesn't always turn on and I have to try it up to 10 times to get it to work. I have $200 Vizio store credit so thinking of looking there. I see 40" and 50" D Series 1080p sets. I'm considering 1080p since there isn't much 4k yet and my viewing distance. I'd like to get an OLED set, but I think it will be another 2 years or more until they are in the $500 range.

Thoughts?
mychaelp is offline  
post #11503 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Why not just get a media player and then you don’t have to worry about what formats your TV supports? That’s what most folks do here (on the forums). Personally I’d go for the OLED or 930e on your list (with edge towards OLED especially if you watch mostly at night).
What media player do you suggest? I have an Xbox One S but it's the same MKV issue. Plays the movies but no sound.
Kyle Lopez is offline  
post #11504 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeffg8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
The KS9800 is an FALD TV that was the top of the line for Samsung in 2016, so its more comparable to the Sony Z9D. The 900E is a great set, but is not at the same level as the KS9800. The only issue is the curved screen and whether you can deal with that or not.
Thoughts about the zd9...still. I had some interest in 930 or 65 oled black Friday price. My dealer pointed out zd9 not much more. It is more but not what it used to be. Family room, u have projector so doubt ful it would ever be primary tv...just normal viewing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dedicated Theater -Projector -Sony 385es-Screen-Stewart Firehawk 110" 1.78-Video-Panasonic UB-900, Direct Tv-Preamp-Anthem AVM-60-Amplifiers-MM8077, Proceed Amp 5-Sub-SVS-PB13 Ultra Speakers-B&W 803D, HTM1, Side and Rear Wall B&W (4), Ceiling B&W (4)
Xbox One -Panamax M5300-PM-Control 4 Ea-5,Pakedge Router
Jeffg8 is offline  
post #11505 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,307
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking123 View Post
Sony vs. Samsung question.

Looking at mid line Samsung MU8000/MU800D or Sony 900E in 55" versions. Unfortunately, Costco does not sell the Sony and I really like the extra warranty protection that Costco will provide for no cost when I use my Costco Citi credit card for a TV purchase...total of 3 additional years beyond manufacturer's 1 year warranty. I realize that I can purchase a Square Trade warranty for the Sony through Costco at a lower cost than BestBuy. I want to buy locally making return easier if it's DOA or goes bad in initial usage.

Our usage is 90% cable TV, 10% Netflix or Amazon streaming, no gaming. I'm leaning towards the Sony as the better TV for our use but have read about issues with the Sony remote control response time. Conversely, the Samsung's remote doesn't have the key pad numbers on it. My wife is a channel surfer and is technologically challenged therefore needing simplicity. She would prefer a TV that when it's turned on it goes immediately to whatever channel the cable box has set as the default channel. Which of these models would be easiest to navigate and quick to response to inputs with their factory remote or is the difference a non factor?
The Sony x900e is the better performer. You will have to decide the relative importance of the warranty on the Samsung. The majority of the time is usually spent watching the TV and playing with the controls, so that should not be a serious factor.
BPlayer is offline  
post #11506 of 14815 Old 11-21-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,316
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6520 Post(s)
Liked: 6233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Lopez View Post
What media player do you suggest? I have an Xbox One S but it's the same MKV issue. Plays the movies but no sound.


There are a number that will work for you depending on what you want/need. The Nvidia Shield is very popular right now, but there are players from CloudMedia, Dune, etc that also get good reports. I’ve had/have players from Egrate, WeTek and CloudMedia (formerly Popcornhour)’all have served my needs and played MKVs without issues unless there was an issue with the encode (this rarely happens). We have a dedicated section of the forums for Network Media Tanks/Media player decides where this is all discussed. Personally I’ve always had a separate media player as the “all in one” solution for me died with BoxeeBox (Nvidia Shield is the closest contender of “do it all” however).
Kyle Lopez likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #11507 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 01:35 AM
Member
 
Craig234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Where is the deal discussion forum? Is this it? I wanted to see what people think of the recent price drop on the Sony 930E.

Last edited by Craig234; 11-22-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Craig234 is offline  
post #11508 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 03:21 AM
Member
 
powerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
Where is the deal discussion forum? Is this it? I wanted to see what people think of the recent price drop on the Sony 930E.
You can try here... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2923118
powerfreak is offline  
post #11509 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There are a number that will work for you depending on what you want/need. The Nvidia Shield is very popular right now, but there are players from CloudMedia, Dune, etc that also get good reports. I’ve had/have players from Egrate, WeTek and CloudMedia (formerly Popcornhour)’all have served my needs and played MKVs without issues unless there was an issue with the encode (this rarely happens). We have a dedicated section of the forums for Network Media Tanks/Media player decides where this is all discussed. Personally I’ve always had a separate media player as the “all in one” solution for me died with BoxeeBox (Nvidia Shield is the closest contender of “do it all” however).
I ended up getting Plex to work on my Xbox One S. Pretty sweet! So now I'm leaning towards the 930e. I LOVE OLED but I'm worried about burn in for the amount of gaming I do.
Ph8te likes this.
Kyle Lopez is offline  
post #11510 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If i'm sitting about 11-12 feet away, is worth it to spend an additional $400 and go with a 65" Vizio M Series at $999 over the 55" TCL P Series at $599 if all I want to do is use it to stream shows and movies mostly from Netflix and other streaming apps with some occasional gaming?

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #11511 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello I need some help choosing a new tv. I want to upgrade from a Vizio m501d-a2r to a 4k hdr TV.

1. $2,500
2. 9-10 ft
3. 65"
4. Cable TV and some streaming for most of the day. A few hours of gaming each night with 10+ hours of gaming on the weekends.
5. The room is very well lit. There is a slider and windows behind the couch so most of the light is natural and faces the TV.

I was leaning towards the LG OLED line because of the viewing angles as my couches are set in an L shape but its not very common for people to be watching TV from the side except on holidays or when we have guests over. Thank you in advance for any help you wonderful people can provide.
SkRiBaL is offline  
post #11512 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,316
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6520 Post(s)
Liked: 6233
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkRiBaL View Post
Hello I need some help choosing a new tv. I want to upgrade from a Vizio m501d-a2r to a 4k hdr TV.

1. $2,500
2. 9-10 ft
3. 65"
4. Cable TV and some streaming for most of the day. A few hours of gaming each night with 10+ hours of gaming on the weekends.
5. The room is very well lit. There is a slider and windows behind the couch so most of the light is natural and faces the TV.

I was leaning towards the LG OLED line because of the viewing angles as my couches are set in an L shape but its not very common for people to be watching TV from the side except on holidays or when we have guests over. Thank you in advance for any help you wonderful people can provide.

With that budget I would probably say go with one of the LG OLEDs. If you live near a Frys they are having a very good sale for multiple models. Of course with that amount of gaming you may get warnings regarding IR/BI. For LCDs may also want to look at Sony 930/900 and the Vizio P65 which are all under budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
If i'm sitting about 11-12 feet away, is worth it to spend an additional $400 and go with a 65" Vizio M Series at $999 over the 55" TCL P Series at $599 if all I want to do is use it to stream shows and movies mostly from Netflix and other streaming apps with some occasional gaming?


Depends on how much that money means to you. We can’t determine if it’s “worth” it to you for the upgrade. What we can say is that at that distance you will probably get a benefit of those 10 extra inches. The common line here is to get the biggest and best TV you can afford.
PeeJHooK likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #11513 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Newbie
 
cdenslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Now that HDR and Dolby Vision are becoming important, the time has come to replace my current Samsung 75" 8550 with a new panel.

1. Budget - $3500
2. Seating distance - 11-12ft
3. Size/placement limitations - Looking for another 75" panel. It will be on a stand to start but eventually wall mounted. Personally, I am not really concerned with viewing angle limitiations.
4. Uses and sources: I pretty much do everything. Watch a lot of broadcast TV, 4k Blu-Ray, HDR gaming with an Xbox One X. Netflix Streaming. The only sport I watch is football.

The most important things are HDR and Dolby Vision support. Because of the panel size and DV requirement, that limits my options. I'm thinking they are:

Vizio P Series
Sony 940E (Seems to be reputed to have very poor motion handling)

Any others I should be considering?
cdenslow is offline  
post #11514 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdenslow View Post
Now that HDR and Dolby Vision are becoming important, the time has come to replace my current Samsung 75" 8550 with a new panel.

1. Budget - $3500
2. Seating distance - 11-12ft
3. Size/placement limitations - Looking for another 75" panel. It will be on a stand to start but eventually wall mounted. Personally, I am not really concerned with viewing angle limitiations.
4. Uses and sources: I pretty much do everything. Watch a lot of broadcast TV, 4k Blu-Ray, HDR gaming with an Xbox One X. Netflix Streaming. The only sport I watch is football.

The most important things are HDR and Dolby Vision support. Because of the panel size and DV requirement, that limits my options. I'm thinking they are:

Vizio P Series
Sony 940E (Seems to be reputed to have very poor motion handling)

Any others I should be considering?
Since your budget is significantly under the price of a 940E, just get the Vizio P75-E1 which is available directly from Vizio at exactly your price point. Just remember, no OTA tuner.
Ph8te likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #11515 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Newbie
 
cdenslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Since your budget is significantly under the price of a 940E, just get the Vizio P75-E1 which is available directly from Vizio at exactly your price point. Just remember, no OTA tuner.
That's a good point on the tuners. I had forgotten Vizio dropped those. Thanks.
cdenslow is offline  
post #11516 of 14815 Old 11-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just bought 75x900E, BB will be delivering on Saturday night.. we'll see how it goes! Thanks all for the help!
I WANT MORE likes this.
MrF0x is offline  
post #11517 of 14815 Old 11-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Member
 
bigdaddyhen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhen View Post
Ok, so I know I am going with Vizio, but I am stuck between going with the larger M75-E1 which looks like it is running $1800 on sale right now, versus the better, but smaller P65-E1 for $1550. Am I going to really kick my self for not going with the bigger screen, despite the extra cost for what is a slightly lower quality display? Wish I could drop to $3000 for the P75, but that aint happening.
Anyone have any thoughts between smaller P or bigger M?
bigdaddyhen is offline  
post #11518 of 14815 Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Member
 
Kinalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive had a plasma for a while now, still rocking my panny 65" vt30. Im currently looking at getting a Sony 900e. Im wondering if the FALD is going to make up for not being plasma for the black levels.

Also, what is all of this talk ive been seeing about how bad a 4k tv looks while watching normal programming? I mainly watch standard TV shows, i dont do blu ray very often at all, i dont watch much netflix, and when i do its typically stand up comedy, or possibly stranger things. I watch a lot of live baseball as well.

Will i be happy going from my vt30 to the 900e? I will also be going up 10" from 65 to 75.

Shawn
Kinalyx is offline  
post #11519 of 14815 Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Newbie
 
dunhill76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recommendations/Advice

Currently have an older 60 inch samsung f5300. 5 windows with blinds directly behind the viewing area. Just trying to get the largest tv possible for under $1500. Mostly used for watching sports, kodi, pc monitor. Sound and smart features don't matter to me. Thanks in advance. These forums are one of the internets greatest rabbit holes. . I was leaning towards the M series Vizios but I've never owned a Vizio and the upscaling worries me.

Last edited by dunhill76; 11-23-2017 at 11:55 AM.
dunhill76 is offline  
post #11520 of 14815 Old 11-23-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhen View Post
Anyone have any thoughts between smaller P or bigger M?
What is your viewing distance? And what size of TV are you currently running? If you have access to Costco, you should check their prices
PlanetAVS is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off