the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 741Likes

post #11611 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I would add the Vizio P65 to the mix if you increase your budget. If you are willing to live with a 55 inch, the LG OLED is the way to go. For 65 inches, the 900E would be my recommendation. It adds local dimming and better brightness which means better HDR, as compared to the Sony 850E. The DV advantage with the Vizios is nice but the overall better PQ of the Sony 900E would outweigh it IMO. You would still get a HDR10 picture when viewing Dolby Vision content on the Sony 900E.

Well after talking with the wife, we may go look at the 55" OLED and see how it compares. I'm sure it is amazing. Now that black friday and cyber monday deal are winding down, would there be a benefit in waiting until January/February for a better deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.hayes0338 View Post
Well after talking with the wife, we may go look at the 55" OLED and see how it compares. I'm sure it is amazing. Now that black friday and cyber monday deal are winding down, would there be a benefit in waiting until January/February for a better deal?
I'd go compare them right away. If you like the larger Sony 65X900E more, they are still on sale for their lowest price. If you go with the 55 OLED, then yes the prices are up and it's a judgement call whether you want to wait until the next sale or spend a few extra bucks and enjoy it right away. IMO, it will probably go on sale again sooner rather than later (before the Super bowl)

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 11-29-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #11613 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I'd go compare them right away. If you like the larger Sony 65X900E more, they are still on sale for their lowest price. If you go with the 55 OLED, then yes the prices are up and it's a judgement call whether you want to wait until the next sale or spend a few extra bucks and enjoy it right away. IMO, it will probably go on sale again sooner rather than later (before the Super bowl)

Okay, that is good info. We'll try to compare tonight and see if we want bigger or better. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11614 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Finally pulled the trigger on a 75? Sony 850e from datavision. $100 off coupon code made it the best price I?ve found.

Thanks for all the help!
post #11615 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by masher82 View Post
Finally pulled the trigger on a 75? Sony 850e from datavision. $100 off coupon code made it the best price I?ve found.

Thanks for all the help!
What is with so many people using question marks in their posts?
post #11616 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Quote:

Thanks for all the help!
What is with so many people using question marks in their posts?
I think it?s a glitch. It?s showing the punctuation correct before posting. I am using an iPhone.
post #11617 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it?s a glitch. It?s showing the punctuation correct before posting. I am using an iPhone.
Yep there it is again. Someone needs to complain Apple. I mean, how stupid are they to let this happen? They charge up to $1,000 for them and their stupid useless phones can't even punctuate text correctly. I'm seeing lots of this lately and apparently it's all iPhone related.
post #11618 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just pulled the trigger on the 55P605 at BB, waited on Amazon but couldn't wait any longer. While browsing the wife asked what's the difference between these other 55" 4K Smart TVs? Damn, then she got me thinking, I just went straight for the TCL from reviews. Samsung UN55MU6290FXZA onsale for the same price or the UN55MU6300FXZA. LG 55UJ6300 at $499. Now I'm doubting my decision. Mostly will be streaming and watching through DirecTV.
post #11619 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6521 Post(s)
Liked: 6236
Quote:
Yep there it is again. Someone needs to complain Apple. I mean, how stupid are they to let this happen? They charge up to $1,000 for them and their stupid useless phones can't even punctuate text correctly. I'm seeing lots of this lately and apparently it's all iPhone related.

Could the the poster needs to update their phone. There was a glitch in earlier IOS where “I” would do something similar. It made it easy to figure out who didn’t upgrade.
post #11620 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
Just pulled the trigger on the 55P605 at BB, waited on Amazon but couldn't wait any longer. While browsing the wife asked what's the difference between these other 55" 4K Smart TVs? Damn, then she got me thinking, I just went straight for the TCL from reviews. Samsung UN55MU6290FXZA onsale for the same price or the UN55MU6300FXZA. LG 55UJ6300 at $499. Now I'm doubting my decision. Mostly will be streaming and watching through DirecTV.

Stick with the TCL, you made a good decision. HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, great FALD display, best input lag for gaming (even better than OLED). Excellent upscaling for your Direct TV SDR content.
post #11621 of 14815 Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd greatly appreciate any and all help in this!

1. Budget: $750

2. Seating distance: A chair about 8 feet away, I will be the only one using this TV, 99% of the time.

3. Size/placement limitations: It will be attached to the TV stand my current TV is on. It's called a Bell'O PTP9650.

4. Uses and sources: It will be primarily used for streaming services and gaming, about a 50/50 split of those. I have a 4K capable PC, a Switch, a Wii U, a PS4 Pro, PS3 and will likely be getting an XBOX One in the future (sometime later next year). I don't consider myself a competitive gamer or anything like that. I only play single player games (If that's a factor?).

5. Room lighting: My room barely has any lighting. I black out my windows and have only a single lamp which I turn off when I'm watching movies or playing games.

Some notes: I absolutely want "real" HDR. I have a 55" KU6290 (which doesn't have real HDR) from Samsung right now, which I'd be content with if not for the fact that it has these weird diagonal lines on it (It's not normal dirty screen effect, it's something wrong with the panel, I think! Dude from Rtings even said it's nothing he's ever seen before) and one of the video inputs doesn't work. Samsung won't fix it. Also, anything I get needs to be at least 55". I'm used to that size now and it'd be weird to go back down.

I have a 55P607 "ordered" from Amazon for $650, but it won't ship for a few weeks, estimated between December 14th and January 2nd(according to Amazon). Is it best to just wait for that, or is there another, better option that's available now? Or at least an option that's either as good or close to as good? P605 isn't an option either. Best Buy won't ship TV's larger than 50" (which, by the way, what the hell is up with that?! They'll "deliver" them, if you're in an "acceptable zone" or something, though) where I live, and no store within 250 miles has one in stock. Or is just toughing it out for the P607 the best option? I had considered the M55-E0 from Vizio, but I'd have to buy a 4K and HDR capable Roku for HDR youtube (Possibly also other things?) and 4K HDR capable splitter, as I think only one of it's HDMI ports can handle that, and with all that, it's gonna cost upwards of $200 (or more?) more and from what I gather, performs about the same? :/ I did see a P607 at a place called brandsmartusa.... which I have never heard of, (It'd have to be shipped) and it seems like if I had a problem, it'd be hell to deal with, but maybe someone has had experience with that? Pretty much, if it can't be shipped, I probably can't get it, for what it's worth (I live pretty far away from any actually useful stores that aren't walmart).
post #11622 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.hayes0338 View Post
Okay, that is good info. We'll try to compare tonight and see if we want bigger or better. Thanks!
Let us know what have you choose.
post #11623 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalex View Post
Let us know what have you choose.

So against my better judgement I ended up getting the 55” Samsung Q7F. I was really impressed with it and got a better deal on it vs the LG. They wouldn’t price match the OLED. I was sold on how bright the QLED got over the OLED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11624 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
what is the better TV THE 75XBR940D top of the line midrange for 2016 or the 900E which is at AFFES on base for 2499?

i have searched this web site for the answer and i cant find it -- I already onw 4k technology so reading many posts of how awesome your TV is when you upgraded from a 720p or 1080 does me no help
as i can show u a walmart rca that will blow your old tv away --- thus im seeking advice which is the better TV the 900e or the 940d last years flag ship --

coul;d care less for the android OS as i have the 850d model and the nvidea sheild -- the tv os android freeszes up abnd teh remote control on the d' series and the e-series is garbage and the 940d whioch my brother owns has ghosting so it isnt all that just because it was 5k before means nothing as i can get it for 2k today -- heck mny car was 60k in 2005 for a black tie edition towncar today its worth maybe 7k -- price alone of what the TV use to be doesnt make it better than the 2017 models today this is what SONY themselves are saying better processor more advanced tv alexa approved --

that 940d isnt going to support alexa according to their web page and neiotehr tv supports dolbi vision -- im on the fence as i know somebody that wanst to sell me there 940d with 2 3d glasses lol for 2k -- i have some 3d video games but 3d does make you dizzy and since VR and augmentted reality that 3d technology is out dated and never used -- what sets aprt the 940d is teh fact that it is full array - i think the 900e is bright enough and is semi full array not totally full like the 940d but thats my opinion -- both are VA panels ,,..
post #11625 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otimus View Post
I'd greatly appreciate any and all help in this!

1. Budget: $750

2. Seating distance: A chair about 8 feet away, I will be the only one using this TV, 99% of the time.

3. Size/placement limitations: It will be attached to the TV stand my current TV is on. It's called a Bell'O PTP9650.

4. Uses and sources: It will be primarily used for streaming services and gaming, about a 50/50 split of those. I have a 4K capable PC, a Switch, a Wii U, a PS4 Pro, PS3 and will likely be getting an XBOX One in the future (sometime later next year). I don't consider myself a competitive gamer or anything like that. I only play single player games (If that's a factor?).

5. Room lighting: My room barely has any lighting. I black out my windows and have only a single lamp which I turn off when I'm watching movies or playing games.

Some notes: I absolutely want "real" HDR. I have a 55" KU6290 (which doesn't have real HDR) from Samsung right now, which I'd be content with if not for the fact that it has these weird diagonal lines on it (It's not normal dirty screen effect, it's something wrong with the panel, I think! Dude from Rtings even said it's nothing he's ever seen before) and one of the video inputs doesn't work. Samsung won't fix it. Also, anything I get needs to be at least 55". I'm used to that size now and it'd be weird to go back down.

I have a 55P607 "ordered" from Amazon for $650, but it won't ship for a few weeks, estimated between December 14th and January 2nd(according to Amazon). Is it best to just wait for that, or is there another, better option that's available now? Or at least an option that's either as good or close to as good? P605 isn't an option either. Best Buy won't ship TV's larger than 50" (which, by the way, what the hell is up with that?! They'll "deliver" them, if you're in an "acceptable zone" or something, though) where I live, and no store within 250 miles has one in stock. Or is just toughing it out for the P607 the best option? I had considered the M55-E0 from Vizio, but I'd have to buy a 4K and HDR capable Roku for HDR youtube (Possibly also other things?) and 4K HDR capable splitter, as I think only one of it's HDMI ports can handle that, and with all that, it's gonna cost upwards of $200 (or more?) more and from what I gather, performs about the same? :/ I did see a P607 at a place called brandsmartusa.... which I have never heard of, (It'd have to be shipped) and it seems like if I had a problem, it'd be hell to deal with, but maybe someone has had experience with that? Pretty much, if it can't be shipped, I probably can't get it, for what it's worth (I live pretty far away from any actually useful stores that aren't walmart).
Ordering a P605 for store pickup from Best Buys is not feasible? If not, I'd wait for the P607 from Amazon. It's by far the best gaming TV and provides real HDR, and better local dimming than the Vizio. The built in Roku is a plus.
post #11626 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Ordering a P605 for store pickup from Best Buys is not feasible? If not, I'd wait for the P607 from Amazon. It's by far the best gaming TV and provides real HDR, and better local dimming than the Vizio. The built in Roku is a plus.
Yeah, the closest best buy is like... a 2 hour round trip (not counting traffic). If I could go there and get them to order it for me, I might could do it. (it's not in stock at any within 250 miles, apparently) Don't think it'd fit in my car, though, (the TV I have now had to be taken out of it's box, and the box essentially had to be destroyed to fit when I got it, something I'd hate to repeat) and I don't know anyone with a larger car/truck. It sucks living in the boonies. I guess I'll just wait it out for the P607. I saw on TCL's facebook that they're trying to get more stock in places next week. So maybe that estimate will be closer to the 11th than to the 22nd! I guess we'll see! I probably just need to learn patience lol, but my current TV is just ticking me off.

Thanks for the response!
post #11627 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello,

We are finally upgrading from a 7-year-old Sony 60" LCD that has been great and still works, but decided to give it to one of our nieces when her set quit.

Budget
: up to $2700 (would like to spend less if possible)

Seating distance
: about 12-13' but we can move the seating closer if necessary

Screen size
: we are used to a 60", so 65" or 75" and it will be wall mounted. We do have a dedicated AV console it can rest on if necessary.

Uses & Sources
: movies, mostly, either from a unRaid media server via htpc or Samsung 4k up-scaling dvd player. Media is a mix of 720p, 1080p, and now 4k dvds (only through the Samsung). We do watch some web-based content, though no streaming services or cable. Some light wiiU gaming but only gets used when the younger cousins come over. We have other family members come over often for "movie night" so up to 10 people viewing at a time from various angles.

Room Lighting: located in a living room dedicated to home theater with decent light control, but natural light does come in during the day so reflection can be an issue, though typically we don't use the tv during the daytime, so not a major concern. We usually watch with some low-level lights on in the room, so not completely dark.

Audio
: we have a nice dedicated surround system so TV speakers are not used, ever.

Current Picks: Sony xbr65x930e, xbr75x900e (only 75" under consideration that's within budget), and LG OLED65B7A.

Not sure which way to go and wondering if it is worth moving up to a 75" display (900e) given our viewing distance or is it better to go with 65" for a better picture quality?

Thank you.
FG

Last edited by Family Guy; 11-30-2017 at 12:03 PM.
post #11628 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
Hello,

We are finally upgrading from a 7-year-old Sony 60" LCD that has been great and still works, but decided to give it to one of our nieces when her set quit.

Budget
: up to $2700

Seating distance
: about 12-13' but we can move the seating closer if necessary

Screen size
: we are used to a 60", so 65" or 75" and it will be wall mounted. We do have a dedicated AV console it can rest on if necessary.

Uses & Sources
: movies, mostly, either from a unRaid media server via htpc or Samsung 4k up-scaling dvd player. Media is a mix of 720p, 1080p, and now 4k dvds (only through the Samsung). We do watch some web-based content, though no streaming services or cable. Some light wiiU gaming but only gets used when the younger cousins come over. We have other family members come over often for "movie night" so up to 10 people viewing at a time from various angles.

Room Lighting: located in a living room dedicated to home theater with decent light control, but natural light does come in during the day so reflection can be an issue, though typically we don't use the tv during the daytime, so not a major concern. We usually watch with some low-level lights on in the room, so not completely dark.

Audio
: we have a nice dedicated surround system so TV speakers are not used, ever.

Current Picks: Sony xbr65x930e, xbr75x900e (only 75" under consideration that's within budget), and LG OLED65B7A.

Not sure which way to go and wondering if it is worth moving up to a 75" display (900e) given our viewing distance or is it better to go with 65" and for a better quality picture?

Thank you.
FG
"We have other family members come over often for "movie night" so up to 10 people viewing at a time from various angles."

If you care about these family members at various angles, move the seating forward and get the LG OLED65B7A. If you don't, consider the 82" Samsung UN82MU8000 for that 12 to 13 foot distance. It has gone on sale for just about your $2,700 limit. The Sony XBR75X900E is a better set with FALD, but you might be happier with a bigger screen. The better LCDs are all VA panel, and VA panels have limited off-angle viewing.
post #11629 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
"We have other family members come over often for "movie night" so up to 10 people viewing at a time from various angles."

If you care about these family members at various angles, move the seating forward and get the LG OLED65B7A. If you don't, consider the 82" Samsung UN82MU8000 for that 12 to 13 foot distance. It has gone on sale for just about your $2,700 limit. The Sony XBR75X900E is a better set with FALD, but you might be happier with a bigger screen. The better LCDs are all VA panel, and VA panels have limited off-angle viewing.
Thank you for your help! Yes, I do care about them, though no one has ever mentioned/complained about picture degradation when sitting off to the side. Probably just too polite to mention it

Anyway, sounds like you are suggesting the LG OLED65B7A over the Sony 930e as the 65" choice for the better viewing angles. If the viewing angle was not a factor, would you still recommend the LG over the Sony 930e?

Going up to 75" is really the max size we're comfortable with, so that would be the 900e then. So I'm now down to those two sets and, in my area at least (Portland, OR), they're within $200 of each other (LG is less).

Analysis paralysis strikes again...

FG

Last edited by Family Guy; 11-30-2017 at 02:35 PM.
post #11630 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
Anyway, sounds like you are suggesting the LG OLED65B7A over the Sony 930e as the 65" choice for the better viewing angles. If the viewing angle was not a factor, would you still recommend the LG over the Sony 930e?
They are both excellent, the edge-lit with local dimming Sony 930 is arguably the best 65" 2017 LCD, only surpassed by the 2016 Z9D FALD which is still being sold. But while the brighter Sony 930 might have the edge (pun intended for an edge-lit LCD) in HDR due to it's higher peak brightness, the LG OLED has better overall PQ especially when you consider the far better off-angle viewing. So at 65", go with the LG OLED.

If you want bigger, the 75" FALD Sony 900E is a great value for the money. The first time I saw I was surprised at how good it looks.
post #11631 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Budget: 600-1100

Seating distance: about 8 to 9 feet but we can move the seating closer if necessary

Screen size: Wife says stay at 55 inches, might could negotiate up to 60" (This is for den. We have a dedicated home theater with a 133" screen from a JVC RS500 projector.)

Uses & Sources: mostly TV shows, cable or shows from my media server via Plex currently.
Room Lighting: Have windows but at night like to watch dark.

Audio: A Yamaha Sound bar (Atmos system in theater)

Current Picks: I'm torn between last year's Samsung KS8000, last year's Sony X930D, possibly the TCL P605 (but I'm a heretic that likes a bit of SOE and TCL has no frame interpolation), or this year's Sony x900e though it's more than I'd like to spend.

I'm looking for a den TV for casual viewing on the couch, watching TV shows, kids shows, some sports. Currently have a 2 year old 1080p Samsung "dumb tv" and use Roku for apps. Have a great set up for critical viewing but sometimes it's easier to just relax on the couch. The last year TVs would probably have to be used or refurbs. I've never had a bad refurb for several types of electronics but I've never bought a refurb LED TV. Would like any advice.

Thanks

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #11632 of 14815 Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
They are both excellent, the edge-lit with local dimming Sony 930 is arguably the best 65" 2017 LCD, only surpassed by the 2016 Z9D FALD which is still being sold. But while the brighter Sony 930 might have the edge (pun intended for an edge-lit LCD) in HDR due to it's higher peak brightness, the LG OLED has better overall PQ especially when you consider the far better off-angle viewing. So at 65", go with the LG OLED.

If you want bigger, the 75" FALD Sony 900E is a great value for the money. The first time I saw I was surprised at how good it looks.
I decided not to buy a 900e for a while longer so I can read VA_DaveB's opinions and words of wisdom for a few more months.
post #11633 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan60 View Post
I decided not to buy a 900e for a while longer so I can read VA_DaveB's opinions and words of wisdom for a few more months.
Thanks, but don't forget PlanetAVS who has been providing some excellent advice.
post #11634 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
Budget: 600-1100

Seating distance: about 8 to 9 feet but we can move the seating closer if necessary

Screen size: Wife says stay at 55 inches, might could negotiate up to 60" (This is for den. We have a dedicated home theater with a 133" screen from a JVC RS500 projector.)

Uses & Sources: mostly TV shows, cable or shows from my media server via Plex currently.
Room Lighting: Have windows but at night like to watch dark.

Audio: A Yamaha Sound bar (Atmos system in theater)

Current Picks: I'm torn between last year's Samsung KS8000, last year's Sony X930D, possibly the TCL P605 (but I'm a heretic that likes a bit of SOE and TCL has no frame interpolation), or this year's Sony x900e though it's more than I'd like to spend.

I'm looking for a den TV for casual viewing on the couch, watching TV shows, kids shows, some sports. Currently have a 2 year old 1080p Samsung "dumb tv" and use Roku for apps. Have a great set up for critical viewing but sometimes it's easier to just relax on the couch. The last year TVs would probably have to be used or refurbs. I've never had a bad refurb for several types of electronics but I've never bought a refurb LED TV. Would like any advice.

Thanks
Nobody does SOE better than Samsung and the KS8000 did come in a 60" size, and as a bonus the KS8000 is/was a good all around TV. Personally, it makes me nauseous but each to their own.
post #11635 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is soe?
post #11636 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 190
SOE = Soap Opera Effect. Makes images look like they were recorded on video rather than film.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #11637 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
SOE = Soap Opera Effect. Makes images look like they were recorded on video rather than film.
Looks like there may be a fix... https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-th...-opera-effect/
post #11638 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfreak View Post
That link is from 2013. All they're saying is turn it off, but then you'll have random judder in virtually any LCD. The problem is that LCDs can't do motion smoothly without some type of interpolation processing, which inevitably leads to some level of SOE. With some LCDs, like my brother-in-laws 2014 Samsung, it's nearly impossible to get rid of the SOE and maintain reasonable motion control.
post #11639 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
That link is from 2013. All they're saying is turn it off, but then you'll have random judder in virtually any LCD. The problem is that LCDs can't do motion smoothly without some type of interpolation processing, which inevitably leads to some level of SOE. With some LCDs, like my brother-in-laws 2014 Samsung, it's nearly impossible to get rid of the SOE and maintain reasonable motion control.
I'm kinda intrigued (I work in the video biz), I've never heard of it and don't notice it on my TVs. Do you notice it on all movies? The majority of movies/tv are now shot on video, but don't really necessarily look like "soap opera" quality video.
post #11640 of 14815 Old 12-01-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfreak View Post
I'm kinda intrigued (I work in the video biz), I've never heard of it and don't notice it on my TVs. Do you notice it on all movies? The majority of movies/tv are now shot on video, but don't really necessarily look like "soap opera" quality video.
They do on an LCD with SOE. To me, the SOE motion appears more like digitized graphics rather than actual humans moving. The insertion of fake interpolated frames makes the motion too consistent, which is quite unnatural. If you play video games or watch other digitally created content all the time it might look normal to you. Some people, like my brother-in-law, actually prefer the over-smoothed SOE motion. Each to their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page