the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 747Likes

post #11671 of 14864 Old 12-04-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Just so you know, the 75" version of the Sony 850E has an IPS panel, not a VA panel. So it will have a wider viewing angle, but lower contrast ratio. The Sony also has better upscaling of cable box 720p broadcasts to 4K than the Vizio. The Vizio M75-E0 is an FALD VA panel, so very high contrast ratio, better HDR, but very narrow viewing angle. The Vizio M's viewing angle is even narrow for a VA panel. Neither of these TV is "MEGA ULTRA BRIGHT" but they are in the mid-range of brightness.

You say you have a 25 foot distance in "in an open floor plan house" so will your wife's viewing from the kitchen be significantly off angle? If so, consider getting the IPS panel Sony XBR75X850E over the VA panel Vizio M75-E0.
Good points from Dave re viewing angle. Also fyi, the M75 is now on for $1600 at Costco with free shipping. $80 additional non member fee. It might be worth the $60 membership fee if necessary, just to get this price.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10986967-vi...ge-1599-costco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 14864 Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just as long as everyone agrees the 65" Sony 930E I'm getting better enough to justify it over the cheaper 75" Vizio M75. 75" was a tempting size.
post #11673 of 14864 Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig234 View Post
Just as long as everyone agrees the 65" Sony 930E I'm getting better enough to justify it over the cheaper 75" Vizio M75. 75" was a tempting size.
Yes the Sony 930E is significantly better than the Vizio M, but 75" is significantly larger than 65" so it's your call. Quality vs. size is the perennial question here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11674 of 14864 Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good enough for me
post #11675 of 14864 Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
It's a feast for the eyes !
post #11676 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
OK, I need some help deciding on a 4K unit. Whenever I think I have a unit picked out and start reading reviews, there are always things to nitpick. Too much knowledge can be a curse sometimes.

Budget: Flexible, but I'd prefer not to drop $4000 if a $2500 is almost as good
Distance: Primarily around 12 feet (probably 98% of the time) but the TV is occasionally viewed as far as 25' during get-togethers
Viewing angle: Ideally it would have a decent image up to about 20 degrees off angle on either side.
Size: Thinking 75". I currently have a 65" 1080p Samsung (can't recall the model) and it's a good size. I could be convinced to do a 65" again given the right circumstances but I've seen some guidelines that say you should go a little bigger on a 4K unit.
Location: Basement, but near windows with 5% or 10% roll shades. Reflections aren't really noticeable except in the afternoon when the screen is dark.
Uses: TV viewing (DirecTV) is the primary source, video gaming is probably 20% (currently XB1 S, soon to be XB1 X), movie watching is probably 10% (Blu-ray or Netflix).
I run all the signals through a 4K receiver first. The speaker setup is fed from the receiver and I don't plan to use the speakers in the TV at all.
The smart apps in the TV aren't a deal breaker for me. I use my Blu-ray player for Netflix and Prime streaming and the XB1 for some anime streaming. I honestly have no idea what other apps I'd even want.
My main dislike about my current TV is cloudiness around the edges. I think my unit is edge lit. Not sure if that's what's causing it. It's not really noticeable unless the image is dark on the screen.

My main reason for upgrading is to take advantage of 4K capabilities of the XB1 for both gaming and movie viewing. I haven't purchased a standalone 4K player yet but probably will in the next year or so, depending on quality and price.

Xbox Live: hezagenius
post #11677 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezagenius View Post
OK, I need some help deciding on a 4K unit. Whenever I think I have a unit picked out and start reading reviews, there are always things to nitpick. Too much knowledge can be a curse sometimes.

Distance: Primarily around 12 feet (probably 98% of the time) but the TV is occasionally viewed as far as 25' during get-togethers
Viewing angle: Ideally it would have a decent image up to about 20 degrees off angle on either side.
Size: Thinking 75". I currently have a 65" 1080p Samsung (can't recall the model) and it's a good size. I could be convinced to do a 65" again given the right circumstances but I've seen some guidelines that say you should go a little bigger on a 4K unit.
Location: Basement, but near windows with 5% or 10% roll shades. Reflections aren't really noticeable except in the afternoon when the screen is dark.
Uses: TV viewing (DirecTV) is the primary source, video gaming is probably 20% (currently XB1 S, soon to be XB1 X), movie watching is probably 10% (Blu-ray or Netflix).
I run all the signals through a 4K receiver first. The speaker setup is fed from the receiver and I don't plan to use the speakers in the TV at all.
The smart apps in the TV aren't a deal breaker for me. I use my Blu-ray player for Netflix and Prime streaming and the XB1 for some anime streaming. I honestly have no idea what other apps I'd even want.
My main dislike about my current TV is cloudiness around the edges. I think my unit is edge lit. Not sure if that's what's causing it. It's not really noticeable unless the image is dark on the screen.

My main reason for upgrading is to take advantage of 4K capabilities of the XB1 for both gaming and movie viewing. I haven't purchased a standalone 4K player yet but probably will in the next year or so, depending on quality and price.
For 65 inches, the LG 65B7A OLED. For 75 inches, Sony 75X900E. It's always a trade off between quality vs size.

The OLED will be your best bet for upscaling, black levels, off axis viewing and input lag for gaming. And since you don't need the TV speakers, the B7A is the way to go which will save you some money.

The Sony will give you the size advantage and higher brightness for HDR movies/games. But it would cost at least $600 more, and perhaps more if you factor in credit card price protection.

IMO, 65 inches is fine for a 12 feet viewing position but that's your call of course.
hezagenius likes this.
post #11678 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'd recommend the Sony XBR75X900E which is just a bit over your budget at $2,800 but has been and could be lower. It's a direct lit FALD VA panel with deep blacks, fairly bright HDR peak brightness, and good upscaling. The 900E has good off-angle viewing for a VA panel, so you will be good a little beyond your 20 degree off angle requirement.
hezagenius likes this.
post #11679 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I posted this on its own thread but its not getting much traction. I will delete that thread and post here instead.

LG OLED B7A vs Sony XBR 930E vs Sony XBR Z9D - Which to Buy?

I need some immediate advice. I am in the market for a new 65 inch tv. I first wanted the LG OLED B7 then got steered to the Sony XBR 930e. While I was analyzing both TV's at Best Buy I saw the Sony XBR65Z9D open box for $2449 (plus tax) and pulled the trigger. I mounted and absolutely love the TV. However I had previously purchased the LG B7 from Target with a 20% off Black Friday code for $2079 (plus tax). I thought I would just do some research and had a few days to decide and if I chose the Sony I would just cancel the LG. It turns out the LG already shipped. And today I can get the Sony XBR 830E for $1899 (no tax) which is a great deal. I am so confused. I would hate to receive the LG and then have to mount it to decide. I would rather return it without opening it. Also there may be warranty concerns with the open box I did purchase. My living room is very bright during the day but mostly watch dark in the evenings. I do have day sports gatherings on weekends. TV is mounted above my Chimney and I sit approx 10-11 feet away. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Price is important but mostly its picture quality and features I am interested in. I don't care about the Smart TV interface or sound since I use a Shield and external audio system.
post #11680 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd recommend the Sony XBR75X900E which is just a bit over your budget at $2,800 but has been and could be lower. It's a direct lit FALD VA panel with deep blacks, fairly bright HDR peak brightness, and good upscaling. The 900E has good off-angle viewing for a VA panel, so you will be good a little beyond your 20 degree off angle requirement.
Are there any other units to consider between that price range and say $4000? I don't have a problem spending more if I'm getting more.

Xbox Live: hezagenius
post #11681 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are there any other units to consider between that price range and say $4000? I don't have a problem spending more if I'm getting more.
The only better FALD LCDs at 75" would be the Sony 940E and Sony Z9D. Both are over your $4,000 upper limit at $4,500 and $7,000 respectively. The 940E, which is closer to your limit, is absolutely spectacular for HDR movies, but is subpar for sports watching due to a long response time. It also has the widest viewing angle of any VA panel set, and is specifically better than the 900E for black levels at off angles.
hezagenius likes this.
post #11682 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folide01 View Post
I posted this on its own thread but its not getting much traction. I will delete that thread and post here instead.

LG OLED B7A vs Sony XBR 930E vs Sony XBR Z9D - Which to Buy?

I need some immediate advice. I am in the market for a new 65 inch tv. I first wanted the LG OLED B7 then got steered to the Sony XBR 930e. While I was analyzing both TV's at Best Buy I saw the Sony XBR65Z9D open box for $2449 (plus tax) and pulled the trigger. I mounted and absolutely love the TV. However I had previously purchased the LG B7 from Target with a 20% off Black Friday code for $2079 (plus tax). I thought I would just do some research and had a few days to decide and if I chose the Sony I would just cancel the LG. It turns out the LG already shipped. And today I can get the Sony XBR 830E for $1899 (no tax) which is a great deal. I am so confused. I would hate to receive the LG and then have to mount it to decide. I would rather return it without opening it. Also there may be warranty concerns with the open box I did purchase. My living room is very bright during the day but mostly watch dark in the evenings. I do have day sports gatherings on weekends. TV is mounted above my Chimney and I sit approx 10-11 feet away. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Price is important but mostly its picture quality and features I am interested in. I don't care about the Smart TV interface or sound since I use a Shield and external audio system.
So you got the Z9D, "mounted and absolutely love the TV". So you're done!

The LG B7 is also a great TV also and I would recommend that over the Z9D only if wide viewing angles are important in your room. The Z9D is much brighter and one flaw in OLEDs is the ABL that limits brightness in mostly white scenes. The other OLED issue is IR, but it isn't an issue when used for normal TV viewing. A minor issue with the Z9D is a longer than normal response time that can sometimes be noticed with moving objects, such as watching sports. The 930E is also a very good TV, but with a Z9D and LG B7A OLED in play you should just eliminate that one.

You do need to work out the warranty issue with the Z9D, open boxes should be sold with the remainder of the factory warranty. If not, Best Buy should throw in a free extended warranty.

Last edited by VA_DaveB; 12-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.
post #11683 of 14864 Old 12-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
So you got the Z9D, "mounted and absolutely love the TV". So you're done!

The LG B7 is also a great TV also and I would recommend that over the Z9D only if wide viewing angles are important in your room. The Z9D is much brighter and one flaw in OLEDs is the ABL that limits brightness in mostly white scenes. The other OLED issue is IR, but it isn't an issue when used for normal TV viewing. A minor issue with the Z9D is a longer than normal response time that can sometimes be noticed with moving objects, such as watching sports. The 930E is also a very good TV, but with a Z9D and LG B7A OLED in play you should just eliminate that one.

You do need to work out the warranty issue with the Z9D, open boxes should be sold with the remainder of the factory warranty. If not, Best Buy should throw in a free extended warranty.
Thanks. I will check with Best Buy. I think I am sold on the Z9D.
post #11684 of 14864 Old 12-08-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 76
OK, my turn to get advice.

Currently have a 70" Sharp 4K non-HDR TV. It is bright and crisp but I think I want to go to an HDR set @70-75". I don't watch much sports other than boxing and golf. I do play some easy games on my PS4 and Xbox One S. Lighting is fairly bright during the day and there is light that would appear from directly behind me.

Current thoughts are Samsung Q series, LG OLED or a good Sony.

Budget : Under $4K if possible.

thanks

Lloyd
post #11685 of 14864 Old 12-08-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
OK, my turn to get advice.

Currently have a 70" Sharp 4K non-HDR TV. It is bright and crisp but I think I want to go to an HDR set @70-75". I don't watch much sports other than boxing and golf. I do play some easy games on my PS4 and Xbox One S. Lighting is fairly bright during the day and there is light that would appear from directly behind me.

Current thoughts are Samsung Q series, LG OLED or a good Sony.

Budget : Under $4K if possible.

thanks
You should look at the FALD Sony XBR75X900E and XBR75X940E which are both better than the equivalent edge-lit Samsung Q series models. There are no 70" + OLEDs in anywhere near your price range.
post #11686 of 14864 Old 12-08-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should look at the FALD Sony XBR75X900E and XBR75X940E which are both better than the equivalent edge-lit Samsung Q series models. There are no 70" + OLEDs in anywhere near your price range.
Thanks for the recommendations. Went to BestBuy and looked at the various models, ended up buying the XBR-75X900E for a decent price.

Lloyd
post #11687 of 14864 Old 12-08-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. Went to BestBuy and looked at the various models, ended up buying the XBR-75X900E for a decent price.
Good luck with it. The 900E is an outstanding value at it's price point.
post #11688 of 14864 Old 12-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:

X10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #11689 of 14864 Old 12-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Conclusion: purchased the Sony XBR65X900e

Quote:
They are both excellent, the edge-lit with local dimming Sony 930 is arguably the best 65" 2017 LCD, only surpassed by the 2016 Z9D FALD which is still being sold. But while the brighter Sony 930 might have the edge (pun intended for an edge-lit LCD) in HDR due to it's higher peak brightness, the LG OLED has better overall PQ especially when you consider the far better off-angle viewing. So at 65", go with the LG OLED.

If you want bigger, the 75" FALD Sony 900E is a great value for the money. The first time I saw I was surprised at how good it looks.
Just wanted to close the loop on this discussion and again thank VA_DaveB and the other contributors for helping all of us make informed purchases. In the end, we decided to spend less money on a very acceptable 4K tv with the idea of upgrading in a few years. It seems there are a lot of changes/improvements taking place in the 4K HDR TV market, so waiting a couple more years to spend significant $$ on a leading edge set seemed to be the best strategy for us. We bought the Sony XBR65X900e and found that size to be just fine for our setup and viewing distance (~12-13 feet).

I am still working on its picture settings and the Samsung UBD-KM85C settings to find the best combination. So far, the picture is very nice, even 1080p blu-ray discs up-scaled by the Samsung (to my eye, this works best with the 900e HDMI video range set to auto or limited for 1080p upscaling) look better than the original, a nice bonus!

We did carefully consider and view with multiple sources the Sony 930e, LG OLED65B7A and the Sony A1E OLED. The OLEDs are gorgeous and that viewing angle! If we were spending the big money now, I would have chosen the Sony A1E. I did not see enough difference between the 900e and 930e to justify the $500 price difference, but again, our decision was more price-driven with an eye towards upgrading later.

On a side note, I discovered our Marantz AV7702 processor is not HDMI 2.2 compliant and won't pass 4K HDR video, which is very disappointing. It will pass 4K 60hz when using its internal HDMI upscaling, but it is of course modified from the source material. Oh well, another component to deal with...

Enough rambling. Merry Christmas to everyone and best of luck with your purchase decisions!

FG

Last edited by Family Guy; 12-08-2017 at 12:24 PM.
post #11690 of 14864 Old 12-08-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
Just wanted to close the loop on this discussion and again thank VA_DaveB and the other contributors for helping all of us make informed purchases. In the end, we decided to spend less money on a very acceptable 4K tv with the idea of upgrading in a few years. It seems there are a lot of changes/improvements taking place in the 4K HDR TV market, so waiting a couple more years to spend significant $$ on a leading edge set seemed to be the best strategy for us. We bought the Sony XBR65X900e and found that size to be just fine for our setup and viewing distance (~12-13 feet).

I am still working on its picture settings and the Samsung UBD-KM85C settings to find the best combination. So far, the picture is very nice, even 1080p blu-ray discs up-scaled by the Samsung (to my eye, this works best with the 900e HDMI video range set to auto or limited for 1080p upscaling) look better than the original, a nice bonus!

We did carefully consider and view with multiple sources the Sony 930e, LG OLED65B7A and the Sony A1E OLED. The OLEDs are gorgeous and that viewing angle! If we were spending the big money now, I would have chosen the Sony A1E. I did not see enough difference between the 900e and 930e to justify the $500 price difference, but again, our decision was more price-driven with an eye towards upgrading later.

On a side note, I discovered our Marantz AV7702 processor is not HDMI 2.2 compliant and won't pass 4K HDR video, which is very disappointing. It will pass 4K 60hz when using its internal HDMI upscaling, but it is of course modified from the source material. Oh well, another component to deal with...

Enough rambling. Merry Christmas to everyone and best of luck with your purchase decisions!

FG
Enjoy your shiny new 900E and Merry Christmas to you and your family!
post #11691 of 14864 Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I thought. It is hard to see differences in the store to my eye and they didn't even have a 900E on display. But the 850 looked so good and every review said the 900E was so much better, that I got it.

I almost rationalized myself to going to a 65" and getting OLED, but I've been used to a 70" so long that I felt I would be disappointed if I did.

Lloyd
post #11692 of 14864 Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I thought. It is hard to see differences in the store to my eye and they didn't even have a 900E on display. But the 850 looked so good and every review said the 900E was so much better, that I got it.

I almost rationalized myself to going to a 65" and getting OLED, but I've been used to a 70" so long that I felt I would be disappointed if I did.
Yes the XBR75X850E is a nice budget option VA panel with excellent motion control and upscaling, but edge-lit without any local dimming. But it is fine for cable TV watching and sports. The FALD VA panel XBR75X900E, while sharing the excellent motion control and upscaling of the 850E, is brighter with deeper contrast and therefore does a much better job with HDR. Since you thought the 850E looked good, you'll think the 900E is fantastic.
post #11693 of 14864 Old 12-09-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the XBR75X850E is a nice budget option VA panel with excellent motion control and upscaling, but edge-lit without any local dimming. But it is fine for cable TV watching and sports. The FALD VA panel XBR75X900E, while sharing the excellent motion control and upscaling of the 850E, is brighter with deeper contrast and therefore does a much better job with HDR. Since you thought the 850E looked good, you'll think the 900E is fantastic.
That’s what I’m hoping for. My current setup is a Tivo to Xbox One to Samsung KW950 soundbar to TV. This should fit in just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lloyd
post #11694 of 14864 Old 12-10-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi all A/V enthusiast
I have been the proud owner of the awesome Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 since Black Friday 2011
This has been a stunning TV for those 6 years (and still looks like the day I got it)
See my sig for a picture
Of course, it does not support 4K
I am getting the itch of wanting to jump to 4K

Any new TV I get must have a larger screen size. (>70")
That's kinda a rule for me.
The next TV will always be bigger (ever since the 36" CRT days)
My sizes over the last 20 years has been 36" CRT --> 55" RPTV --> 65" RPTV -->70" LED w/FALD (current)
I have slight problem with available width in my home made eCenter

I have a max available width of 69" w/o major changes to the eCenter.
Both 75" sizes from Sony & Samsung will fit

I am looking to the top most quality to surpass my 70" Elite FALD LED
I am not interested in anything > $8K

I don't currently have a game system, but looking hard at X-Box One X for 4K playback and gaming.
I currently use Oppo BDP-93 for 1080p BR playback

My Lexicon audio processor is the next problem, but that is for another thread.

What is the best 4K UHD TV to blow me away compared to my 70" Elite?

PS: I don't want to be required to "baby it" to prevent IR or burn-in.
There could be bright channel logos displayed for 12 hours at a time.
post #11695 of 14864 Old 12-10-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I keep reading of people actually thinking it's a good idea to cram the largest TV into an enclosed entertainment center...yeah, not a good idea.
You really need to account for air flow.
post #11696 of 14864 Old 12-10-2017, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post
Hi all A/V enthusiast
I have been the proud owner of the awesome Sharp Elite PRO-70X5 since Black Friday 2011
This has been a stunning TV for those 6 years (and still looks like the day I got it)
See my sig for a picture
Of course, it does not support 4K
I am getting the itch of wanting to jump to 4K

Any new TV I get must have a larger screen size. (>70")
That's kinda a rule for me.
The next TV will always be bigger (ever since the 36" CRT days)
My sizes over the last 20 years has been 36" CRT --> 55" RPTV --> 65" RPTV -->70" LED w/FALD (current)
I have slight problem with available width in my home made eCenter

I have a max available width of 69" w/o major changes to the eCenter.
Both 75" sizes from Sony & Samsung will fit

I am looking to the top most quality to surpass my 70" Elite FALD LED
I am not interested in anything > $8K

I don't currently have a game system, but looking hard at X-Box One X for 4K playback and gaming.
I currently use Oppo BDP-93 for 1080p BR playback

My Lexicon audio processor is the next problem, but that is for another thread.

What is the best 4K UHD TV to blow me away compared to my 70" Elite?

PS: I don't want to be required to "baby it" to prevent IR or burn-in.
There could be bright channel logos displayed for 12 hours at a time.
You want to look at the Sony XBR75Z9D and XBR75X940E. The $7,000 XBR75Z9D is the best 75" LCD TV there is and the $4,500 XBR75X940E isn't far behind.
gondey99 likes this.
post #11697 of 14864 Old 12-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Hey all,

I'm currently in a snafu with Samsung and my KS8000 65 4k tv and I'm 95% sure they are going to give me a refund. So hoping I get $1600 + another $500 I'm willing to spend (if I have to).

I'd like to go 65 or 70 if possible and I watch a lot of 4k movies w/HDR in 7.1.4 and game a decent amount. I also watch a bit of NBA. I was looking/searching around and the Sony 900e 65 or the 75 if it goes down to $2200 or so.

The 900e is $1699 - is there anything around the $1800-$2000 mark that would either get me a better picture, better motion, 65+, or all of the above?

Many thanks!

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #11698 of 14864 Old 12-12-2017, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Big TV on budget?

I'm in the stone ages I guess. I have a Samsung HL61750 DLP LED TV. I was hoping to keep it going, but it will probably cost me some money. I have 2 kids in college, so maybe I can buy something with a budget for now. I'm sort of looking right now at the options of fix or buy new.

I measured, I view the TV from 8 - 15 feet right now. Mostly about 12 feet. I mostly watch FIOS TV and sports. I suppose I would want something about 65". I currently don't have anything to even feed a 4K TV. However, I usually like to buy something I keep a while. Not sure if I need 4K or HDR. I prefer something with good sound out of the TV itself if possible. I have a decent stereo hookup, but generally only use it with movies.

One more thing, it is probably long resolved by now, but I remember some LCD TVs having a fake look in the old days. I want a good look but not a fake look. Something that will last if I retire it to another room later.

On the budget now sure, definitely lower than $1500. I guess ideally a good quality budget 65" if there is such a thing.
post #11699 of 14864 Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I currently have a 55KS8000 and an xbr75x850e (which I might return). I can't decide which I should keep. Having a big TV is nice for SDR shows, but HDR is not noticeable on the 850e and the colors look washed out for video games. Do all 75 inch LED TVs use IPS panels with poor contrast and HDR? If I keep the ks8000, I might upgrade once there's a good deal on an HDMI 2.1 set, hopefully with 120fps capabilities. I can't go OLED since I'm concerned about burn-in since I use my screen as a monitor as well as for console games. Just wondering which set you guys would recommend keeping. I haven't looked at much hdr content but will probably be using it more in the future, so not sure how important it is.
post #11700 of 14864 Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuffarisMaximus View Post
I currently have a 55KS8000 and an xbr75x850e (which I might return). I can't decide which I should keep. Having a big TV is nice for SDR shows, but HDR is not noticeable on the 850e and the colors look washed out for video games. Do all 75 inch LED TVs use IPS panels with poor contrast and HDR? If I keep the ks8000, I might upgrade once there's a good deal on an HDMI 2.1 set, hopefully with 120fps capabilities. I can't go OLED since I'm concerned about burn-in since I use my screen as a monitor as well as for console games. Just wondering which set you guys would recommend keeping. I haven't looked at much hdr content but will probably be using it more in the future, so not sure how important it is.
No all 75" LCDs do not have IPS panels. The Sony 850E is one of those weird product lines that mixes VA and IPS panels in different sizes. For a couple of hundred dollars more than the XBR75X850E, you could look at the Vizio M75-E1, which has both reasonable FALD and a VA panel for deep blacks. For SDR, the brightness is similar to the 850E but in HDR the highlights are roughly twice as bright. The downside of the Vizio M is that it was downgraded to a 60 Hz panel for 2017, and can't control 24p judder from you cable or satellite box. So the Vizio M75-E1 will have excellent contrast and decent HDR. But even better would be if you could find a few hundred dollars more and get the Sony XBR75X900E which is a true 120 Hz VA panel set that is brighter, has better FALD and HDR than the Vizio M, and has excellent motion control of all forms of 24p judder..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page