the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 783Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11701 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
javan robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
No all 75" LCDs do not have IPS panels. The Sony 850E is one of those weird product lines that mixes VA and IPS panels in different sizes. For a couple of hundred dollars more than the XBR75X850E, you could look at the Vizio M75-E1, which has both reasonable FALD and a VA panel for deep blacks. For SDR, the brightness is similar to the 850E but in HDR the highlights are roughly twice as bright. The downside of the Vizio M is that it was downgraded to a 60 Hz panel for 2017, and can't control 24p judder from you cable or satellite box. So the Vizio M75-E1 will have excellent contrast and decent HDR. But even better would be if you could find a few hundred dollars more and get the Sony XBR75X900E which is a true 120 Hz VA panel set that is brighter, has better FALD and HDR than the Vizio M, and has excellent motion control of all forms of 24p judder..
Hey Dave, for someone in my position - I have around $2000 to spend and I am coming from a KS8000 that I absolutely loved, but now I hate Samsung due to how they treated me.

I game quite a bit and watch a bunch of 4k movies in 7.1.4 etc. Motion, input lag, brightness and blacks are all of a concern to me. I would like to go no smaller than 65".

Any suggestiones?

Last edited by javan robinson; 12-13-2017 at 11:52 AM.
javan robinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11702 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Hey Dave, for someone in my position - I have around $2000 to spend and I am coming from a KS8000 that I absolutely loved, but now I hate Samsung due to how they treated me.

I game quite a bit and watch a bunch of 4k movies in 7.1.4 etc. Motion, input lag, brightness and blacks are all of a concern to me. I would like to go smaller than 65".

Any suggestiones?
Well this year's equivalents to the KS series, the MU series, isn't as good anyway. IMO, the best all around 55" TV in your range would be the Sony XBR55X930E. It is brighter than your KS8000, has similar deep black levels, with better local dimming and HDR, similar lag for 4K gaming but higher lag for 1080p gaming, and the usual excellent Sony upscaling and motion control.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #11703 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
javan robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Well this year's equivalents to the KS series, the MU series, isn't as good anyway. IMO, the best all around 55" TV in your range would be the Sony XBR55X930E. It is brighter than your KS8000, has similar deep black levels, with better local dimming and HDR, similar lag for 4K gaming but higher lag for 1080p gaming, and the usual excellent Sony upscaling and motion control.
Hey thanks for responding man and my apologies I missed a word there and I edited my post! "I would like to go no smaller than 65" - meaning 65 or bigger.

And the 65" 930e is $2400 on Amazon, a bit out of my price range - especially if I were to get the extended warranty..

Argh. They don't make a 920e do they? Lol




65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
javan robinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11704 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Member
 
rmscott_75077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
the Vizio M65-E0 and Sony XBR65X850E are good budget VA panel sets with deep black levels in your sub $1,500 range. Both are 4K, the Vizio M has FALD but poor motion control for 24p cable movies and sub-par upscaling. The Sony 850E is edge lit, with no local dimming, but has good upscaling and excellent motion control for sports and 24p movies. Nothing is perfect in your price range, so you need to pick the TV that works best for your usage, or pony up a couple of hundred dollars more for the all around excellent Sony XBR65X900E.
What about the LG line? I see 2 from LG, I have one older 3d LG upstrairs that looks great and sounds great
Model 65UJ7700 $1100 Best Buy
Model 65UJ6300 $800 Best Buy

I'm honestly starting to lean toward repair, wait 1 more year then shell out for something like Sony 900E that everyone is raving about.
rmscott_75077 is offline  
post #11705 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmscott_75077 View Post
What about the LG line? I see 2 from LG, I have one older 3d LG upstrairs that looks great and sounds great
Model 65UJ7700 $1100 Best Buy
Model 65UJ6300 $800 Best Buy

I'm honestly starting to lean toward repair, wait 1 more year then shell out for something like Sony 900E that everyone is raving about.
Those LGs are IPS panel sets with low contrast ratios, hence gray black levels, and somewhat wider viewing angles. The 65UJ6300 is one of those RGBW "fake" 4K panels with more like 3K resolution, and is a 60 Hz panel with limited judder control. So the 65UJ7700, which has a 120 Hz regular 4K IPS panel is certainly is the better of the two. But you should only get an IPS panel set if you need the wider viewing angle they provide as VA panels have contrast ratios 4 to 5 times as high for deep blacks.

I actually still have a working Samsung DLP in the basement of my Virginia home. My friends have been coming over on Sunday since late 2004 to watch football on it just because it's become somewhat of a tradition. But if you get a nice budget VA panel set you will be blown away by the difference in brightness and black levels. The Sony XBR65X850E would be a nice set as long as you're not focused on high-end HDR performance as it does very well as a general purpose, HDR-capable, 4K TV. It's a VA panel set with excellent cable box upscaling, excellent motion control, and nice deep black levels. It's better at virtually every usage than the LG UJ7700 except for viewing angle.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #11706 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
No all 75" LCDs do not have IPS panels. The Sony 850E is one of those weird product lines that mixes VA and IPS panels in different sizes. For a couple of hundred dollars more than the XBR75X850E, you could look at the Vizio M75-E1, which has both reasonable FALD and a VA panel for deep blacks. For SDR, the brightness is similar to the 850E but in HDR the highlights are roughly twice as bright. The downside of the Vizio M is that it was downgraded to a 60 Hz panel for 2017, and can't control 24p judder from you cable or satellite box. So the Vizio M75-E1 will have excellent contrast and decent HDR. But even better would be if you could find a few hundred dollars more and get the Sony XBR75X900E which is a true 120 Hz VA panel set that is brighter, has better FALD and HDR than the Vizio M, and has excellent motion control of all forms of 24p judder..
Thank you. I'll keep an eye out on a deal on the 900e and probably will return the 850e. I'll consider the Vizio as well.
KuffarisMaximus is offline  
post #11707 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 344
1. Budget
Up to $2000

2. Seating distance
6-8 feet

3. Size/placement limitations
None

4. Uses and sources
50% Dish Network, 20% Netflix, 20% IP delivered sports programming (NHL.TV, Aussie Rules, MLB.TV), 10% movies from Sony x800
Priority is the display of Hockey and Movies

5. Room lighting
Reasonably well controlled North facing French Doors that have room darkening curtains

Current TV is a 65X810C that I have been really happy with but looking at replacing this winter. I have Military Exchange pricing available to me.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #11708 of 14990 Old 12-13-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Hey thanks for responding man and my apologies I missed a word there and I edited my post! "I would like to go no smaller than 65" - meaning 65 or bigger.

And the 65" 930e is $2400 on Amazon, a bit out of my price range - especially if I were to get the extended warranty..

Argh. They don't make a 920e do they? Lol
No but the Sony 900E is no slouch either, FALD and the same great Sony upscaling and motion control. It's just not as bright, plenty bright enough to my eye, and the local dimming even though FALD vs. edge isn't quite as good. But all around it is a solid performer and in your range. Another one to look at with a similar level of performance would be the Vizio P65-E1.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #11709 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I think I'm going to return my 75x850e and keep my 55KS8000 until HDMI 2.1 sets are available. Does anyone know if Amazon bans for returning expensive TVs ($1300 in this case)? I've never returned a TV before but I've heard about Amazon banning people who cost them money.
KuffarisMaximus is offline  
post #11710 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got wife approval to upgrade the video game room for the "kids". Details include:

1. Two 55 inch displays side by side (65 is too big for the room/seating).
2. 90% gaming (PS4, PS3 and Xbox One X) and 10% movies/sports.
3. Lighting is neutral, not overly bright nor dark.
4. Pre-tax Budget is under $1400 for both ($700 max each).
5. Prefer to have in-hand by Christmas but willing to wait until Jan-Feb if big enough savings.

Leading towards TCL P607/605 for the gaming and price, but have seen some Sammy's in that price range (and lower) that are attractive. P605 is available today at several local BB's but all of them (4!) have the TCL display turned off when I visit. Hmmm

Note: Picked up the 65 inch Sony X900E a couple months back for the living room and love it, but don't need those many features (or price) for a room that will be full of teenagers most of the time.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Wilson47; 12-14-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Wilson47 is offline  
post #11711 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
1. Budget
Up to $2000

2. Seating distance
6-8 feet

3. Size/placement limitations
None

4. Uses and sources
50% Dish Network, 20% Netflix, 20% IP delivered sports programming (NHL.TV, Aussie Rules, MLB.TV), 10% movies from Sony x800
Priority is the display of Hockey and Movies

5. Room lighting
Reasonably well controlled North facing French Doors that have room darkening curtains

Current TV is a 65X810C that I have been really happy with but looking at replacing this winter. I have Military Exchange pricing available to me.
Recommend the LG OLED 55B7A. It can be had for under $1500 with generally available pricing online. It's excellent for motion handling (for hockey), upscaling (for Dish and Hockey) and black levels (for your movie watching). The HDR support for both HDR10 and Dolby Vision will enable you to take full advantage of Netflix HDR and your Sony 4K UHD player.

I use my 65 inch C7P OLED, which has the same display as the 55B7A to watch NHL.TV and can vouch for all of the above.

The Sony 55 inch 900E would also be worth considering, but it doesn't support Dolby Vision HDR.

You could even go to 65 inches for either of these two TVs and max out your budget but IMO a 55 inch screen is appropriate for your viewing distance.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 12-14-2017 at 10:46 AM.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #11712 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson47 View Post
Finally got wife approval to upgrade the video game room for the "kids". Details include:

1. Two 55 inch displays side by side (65 is too big for the room/seating).
2. 90% gaming (PS4, PS3 and Xbox One X) and 10% movies/sports.
3. Lighting is neutral, not overly bright nor dark.
4. Pre-tax Budget is under $1400 for both ($700 max each).
5. Prefer to have in-hand by Christmas but willing to wait until Jan-Feb if big enough savings.

Leading towards TCL P607/605 for the gaming and price, but have seen some Sammy's in that price range (and lower) that are attractive. P605 is available today at several local BB's but all of them (4!) have the TCL display turned off when I visit. Hmmm

Note: Picked up the 65 inch Sony X900E a couple months back for the living room and love it, but don't need those many features (or price) for a room that will be full of teenagers most of the time.

Thanks in advance!
TCL P605 is the way to go, it has one of the lowest gaming lags on the market (for any size/price) and is all around excellent for general viewing. The LG 6300 series has slightly lower gaming lag but is much inferior overall as it has the fake 4K RGBW technology (which is effectively more like 3K)

I wouldn't read much into Best Buy's lack of effort into promoting the TV. IMO, it's a lower ticket item and they would rather you purchase a more expensive alternative. Judging a TV display in the bright open floor of a large store is not meaningful anyway, and you have the holiday season extended return deadline if you are not happy for any reason.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 12-14-2017 at 10:49 AM.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #11713 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
TCL P605 is the way to go, it has one of the lowest gaming lags on the market (for any size/price) and is all around excellent for general viewing. The LG 6300 series has slightly lower gaming lag but is much inferior overall.

I wouldn't read much into Best Buy's lack of effort into promoting the TV. IMO, it's a lower ticket item and they would rather you purchase a more expensive alternative. Judging a TV display in the bright open floor of a large store is not meaningful anyway, and you have the holiday season extended return deadline if you are not happy for any reason.
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, especially about BB wanting to hide a $600 55 inch. I asked about the TCL with the BB salesman just for fun and he said the low gaming lag was worthless without native 120 HZ.
Wilson47 is offline  
post #11714 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
1. Budget
Up to $2000

2. Seating distance
6-8 feet

3. Size/placement limitations
None

4. Uses and sources
50% Dish Network, 20% Netflix, 20% IP delivered sports programming (NHL.TV, Aussie Rules, MLB.TV), 10% movies from Sony x800
Priority is the display of Hockey and Movies

5. Room lighting
Reasonably well controlled North facing French Doors that have room darkening curtains

Current TV is a 65X810C that I have been really happy with but looking at replacing this winter. I have Military Exchange pricing available to me.
Since you have a 65" now I assume you must want the new one to be 65" also, so might just get the Sony XBR65X900E and call it a day. Great motion control for sports, FALD for HDR, excellent contrast for deep blacks, very good all-around performer.

If your military exchange discount can get the price down, the next ones up to consider are the LG OLED65B7A and Sony XBR65X930E. The OLED is a bit better overall but does have the OLED issues of IR and that stupid ABL (automatic brightness limiter) dimming bright scenes. The IR issue is overrated but the ABL can be a bit irritating. The Sony 930E is brighter than the 900E and the OLED and has great local dimming even though edge lit. Since you're currently an LCD guy, you should look at the LG OLED before buying to make sure it's for you if you're thinking of ponying up the extra cash for the LG OLED65B7A. You may like it, or not.
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #11715 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson47 View Post
Finally got wife approval to upgrade the video game room for the "kids". Details include:

1. Two 55 inch displays side by side (65 is too big for the room/seating).
2. 90% gaming (PS4, PS3 and Xbox One X) and 10% movies/sports.
3. Lighting is neutral, not overly bright nor dark.
4. Pre-tax Budget is under $1400 for both ($700 max each).
5. Prefer to have in-hand by Christmas but willing to wait until Jan-Feb if big enough savings.

Leading towards TCL P607/605 for the gaming and price, but have seen some Sammy's in that price range (and lower) that are attractive. P605 is available today at several local BB's but all of them (4!) have the TCL display turned off when I visit. Hmmm

Note: Picked up the 65 inch Sony X900E a couple months back for the living room and love it, but don't need those many features (or price) for a room that will be full of teenagers most of the time.

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
TCL P605 is the way to go, it has one of the lowest gaming lags on the market (for any size/price) and is all around excellent for general viewing. The LG 6300 series has slightly lower gaming lag but is much inferior overall as it has the fake 4K RGBW technology (which is effectively more like 3K)

I wouldn't read much into Best Buy's lack of effort into promoting the TV. IMO, it's a lower ticket item and they would rather you purchase a more expensive alternative. Judging a TV display in the bright open floor of a large store is not meaningful anyway, and you have the holiday season extended return deadline if you are not happy for any reason.
I agree 100% with PlanetAVS on this. Pick up a pair of TCL P605s from Best Buy and you're done!
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #11716 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Newbie
 
skywitit23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys I'm in the market for a tv I have about 1300 to spend, and the Vizio M65 was my target, but now I'm thinking if I should go with the MU8000? I have a Xbox one X I love watching Basketball and movies. I m not attracted to the fact the Vizio only has one 2.1 port. Any help?
skywitit23 is offline  
post #11717 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I agree 100% with PlanetAVS on this. Pick up a pair of TCL P605s from Best Buy and you're done!
Thanks. I appreciate it!
Wilson47 is offline  
post #11718 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywitit23 View Post
Guys I'm in the market for a tv I have about 1300 to spend, and the Vizio M65 was my target, but now I'm thinking if I should go with the MU8000? I have a Xbox one X I love watching Basketball and movies. I m not attracted to the fact the Vizio only has one 2.1 port. Any help?
I assume that you don't have an HDR pass through AVR/Soundbar? If you do or if you are open to adding this, I would connect your HDR devices through the AVR/soundbar and then run an HDMI to the TV and stick with the Vizio M65.

If not, I would consider the Sony 850E although it only has two HDMI 2.0 inputs supported. How many do you need?

If you're open to a 55 inch screen, consider the Sony 55X900E and the LG 55B7A OLED, which are far superior TVs overall.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #11719 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Newbie
 
skywitit23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't actually Should I get one? I have a 55inch already so I really wanted a 65 I just never thought the Vizio line was a good TV I thought it was crappy, so the Samsung was creeping into my head if I should get that instead. my budget was max around 1300 and maybe stretch it to 1500 but that's absolute max and being broke lol.

I have the xbox one x PS4 Prp and the direct tv Genie. will I run into any Issues down the road?



Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I assume that you don't have an HDR pass through AVR/Soundbar? If you do or if you are open to adding this, I would connect your HDR devices through the AVR/soundbar and then run an HDMI to the TV and stick with the Vizio M65.

If not, I would consider the Sony 850E although it only has two HDMI 2.0 inputs supported. How many do you need?

If you're open to a 55 inch screen, consider the Sony 55X900E and the LG 55B7A OLED, which are far superior TVs overall.
skywitit23 is offline  
post #11720 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Since you have a 65" now I assume you must want the new one to be 65" also, so might just get the Sony XBR65X900E and call it a day. Great motion control for sports, FALD for HDR, excellent contrast for deep blacks, very good all-around performer.

If your military exchange discount can get the price down, the next ones up to consider are the LG OLED65B7A and Sony XBR65X930E. The OLED is a bit better overall but does have the OLED issues of IR and that stupid ABL (automatic brightness limiter) dimming bright scenes. The IR issue is overrated but the ABL can be a bit irritating. The Sony 930E is brighter than the 900E and the OLED and has great local dimming even though edge lit. Since you're currently an LCD guy, you should look at the LG OLED before buying to make sure it's for you if you're thinking of ponying up the extra cash for the LG OLED65B7A. You may like it, or not.
Yes, I want to stay with the 65"since it was initially an upgrade from a 52NX800, I am leaning towards the 65x900e but I had not considered an OLED but will take a look at the B7A before purchasing.

Thanks for the response.
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #11721 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywitit23 View Post
I don't actually Should I get one? I have a 55inch already so I really wanted a 65 I just never thought the Vizio line was a good TV I thought it was crappy, so the Samsung was creeping into my head if I should get that instead. my budget was max around 1300 and maybe stretch it to 1500 but that's absolute max and being broke lol.

I have the xbox one x PS4 Prp and the direct tv Genie. will I run into any Issues down the road?
Basically the question is do you have a Audio Video Receiver (AVR) that you can use as part of your Home Theater system? If you use an AVR (that passes through HDR content), you would only need one HDMI 2.0 supported input on the TV and you would use that input to connect to the AVR. If you don't have an AVR, and you want to connect multiple HDR devices then it would make sense that you want a TV with more than one HDMI 2.0 supported input. The Xbox X and the PS4 Pro both support HDR, therefore you would want to have at least two HDMI 2.0 inputs which what is required to show HDR content from your source device

There's other benefits to having an AVR of course, mainly far superior sound. But if your total budget is $1500, it might be tight as you would also need to connect speakers to the AVR if you don't already have them. The Vizio M65 can be had for about 1100 all in at the moment. You can get a low end HDR compatible AVR for +$200, and speakers can be had at pretty much any budget.

The Vizios have come a long way in the last few years, and the Samsungs do not have a good lineup this year in many people's opinion.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #11722 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A quick question for the group:

Trying to decide between the Sony 850e and 900e. The 850 is currently on sale for $500 less than the 900e. While I know the 900 is preferred, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $500.

I want to buy an X Box One X and use this TV to game on. It'll also be used as a TV during the daytime on the weekends so the brightness of the 900 seems like it'd be preferable. Neither of them seem to be very good with wide angle viewing, which would also be nice. But I worry that the 55" LG OLED would have issues with burn in due to gaming (and it's smaller).

I'm ok to pay the extra $500 if the value is really there, but I don't know enough to say. Would welcome your perspectives!
psargen is offline  
post #11723 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
javan robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by psargen View Post
A quick question for the group:

Trying to decide between the Sony 850e and 900e. The 850 is currently on sale for $500 less than the 900e. While I know the 900 is preferred, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $500.

I want to buy an X Box One X and use this TV to game on. It'll also be used as a TV during the daytime on the weekends so the brightness of the 900 seems like it'd be preferable. Neither of them seem to be very good with wide angle viewing, which would also be nice. But I worry that the 55" LG OLED would have issues with burn in due to gaming (and it's smaller).

I'm ok to pay the extra $500 if the value is really there, but I don't know enough to say. Would welcome your perspectives!
I would go with the 900e if I were you. I'm currently having the same conversation with myself regarding the 900e and the 930e..

But, here is a pretty good deal on the 850e - https://slickdeals.net/f/11031475-65...c=featured-cat




65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
javan robinson is offline  
post #11724 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 68
the "help me choose an LCD" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by psargen View Post
A quick question for the group:



Trying to decide between the Sony 850e and 900e. The 850 is currently on sale for $500 less than the 900e. While I know the 900 is preferred, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $500.



I want to buy an X Box One X and use this TV to game on. It'll also be used as a TV during the daytime on the weekends so the brightness of the 900 seems like it'd be preferable. Neither of them seem to be very good with wide angle viewing, which would also be nice. But I worry that the 55" LG OLED would have issues with burn in due to gaming (and it's smaller).



I'm ok to pay the extra $500 if the value is really there, but I don't know enough to say. Would welcome your perspectives!


If you want hdr gaming, then the 900e, no question. The 850 doesn’t have the nits, color gamut, or 10 bit panel to be a true hdr tv. I was looking at the 900e to pair with my Xbox one x and ended up with the lg 55b7a and can’t be happier with it. The tv is awesome and the contrast is in another league. I have an X940E in my living room, and it is no contest that the b7a is far superior. If purchased from Best Buy, you can buy the geek squad warranty to have some protection from burn in. If it gets it, you’ll get a new tv out of it, hopefully by then the tech will advance enough to have burn in not be a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fastblack is offline  
post #11725 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Newbie
 
skywitit23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I don't have one, I could also do just a sound bar and then get a HDMI 4k switch? I need a wireless setup for the speakers and all.


So I was just at best buy and they have a 900e open box on sale for 1370$ is this something I should jump on instead? Its on display running. OR should I just stick with the M series?




Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Basically the question is do you have a Audio Video Receiver (AVR) that you can use as part of your Home Theater system? If you use an AVR (that passes through HDR content), you would only need one HDMI 2.0 supported input on the TV and you would use that input to connect to the AVR. If you don't have an AVR, and you want to connect multiple HDR devices then it would make sense that you want a TV with more than one HDMI 2.0 supported input. The Xbox X and the PS4 Pro both support HDR, therefore you would want to have at least two HDMI 2.0 inputs which what is required to show HDR content from your source device

There's other benefits to having an AVR of course, mainly far superior sound. But if your total budget is $1500, it might be tight as you would also need to connect speakers to the AVR if you don't already have them. The Vizio M65 can be had for about 1100 all in at the moment. You can get a low end HDR compatible AVR for +$200, and speakers can be had at pretty much any budget.

The Vizios have come a long way in the last few years, and the Samsungs do not have a good lineup this year in many people's opinion.

Last edited by skywitit23; 12-14-2017 at 03:05 PM.
skywitit23 is offline  
post #11726 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywitit23 View Post
1370$
Really? I'm seeing this too much lately at online forums. The $ sign comes first, so $1370, but everybody knows that. So has it become some hipster cool thing to intentionally do it wrong?
VA_DaveB is online now  
post #11727 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
skywitit23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was a mistake. So how about what I asked?


Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Really? I'm seeing this too much lately at online forums. The $ sign comes first, so $1370, but everybody knows that. So has it become some hipster cool thing to intentionally do it wrong?
skywitit23 is offline  
post #11728 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by psargen View Post
A quick question for the group:

Trying to decide between the Sony 850e and 900e. The 850 is currently on sale for $500 less than the 900e. While I know the 900 is preferred, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $500.

I want to buy an X Box One X and use this TV to game on. It'll also be used as a TV during the daytime on the weekends so the brightness of the 900 seems like it'd be preferable. Neither of them seem to be very good with wide angle viewing, which would also be nice. But I worry that the 55" LG OLED would have issues with burn in due to gaming (and it's smaller).

I'm ok to pay the extra $500 if the value is really there, but I don't know enough to say. Would welcome your perspectives!
I got the 75x850e during a price glitch, and even for $1300 it wasn't worth it. The colors look washed out for video games. I also viewed HDR content on this set and it didn't look any better. As for OLED, I wouldn't take that risk having heard horror stories of people having screen burn in from games like Breath of the Wild or just watching the news.
KuffarisMaximus is offline  
post #11729 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywitit23 View Post
Yeah I don't have one, I could also do just a sound bar and then get a HDMI 4k switch? I need a wireless setup for the speakers and all.


So I was just at best buy and they have a 900e open box on sale for 1370$ is this something I should jump on instead? Its on display running. OR should I just stick with the M series?
You could do a soundbar approach but it would depend on how many HDMI inputs the soundbar supports and then you get into the same question as the number of HDMI 2.0 inputs on the TV. An HDMI switch could also work but I have no opinion on that. Not sure what your point is about the wireless speakers, are you saying that a speaker setup with AVR is not feasible?

I'm guessing here that sound quality is not a priority for you otherwise you would have already put this in your plans. The open box (65 inch?) Sony 900E might be a good fit for you if you're comfortable buying an open box. However it only has 2 HDMI 2.0 supported inputs (same as the 850E), although it is a significantly better overall tv than the 850E

EDIT: if you're considering the HDMI switch option, it would probably work with the Vizio M65 as well

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 12-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #11730 of 14990 Old 12-14-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,506
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywitit23 View Post
It was a mistake. So how about what I asked?
I'd be hesitant to buy an open box unless the discount was pretty large. But the 900E is a good choice.
VA_DaveB is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Cables Interconnects , Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Sony , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off